PC Unchanged Solid FPS, But Terrible Input Lag after Windows Update.

Terry N. Muse

Terrarian
Roughly a week or two ago, I installed a Windows 10 Update; I don't recall whether it was specifically the Anniversary, Creators, or another update, but it seemed fairly publicized (received notifications and e-mails about it - not sure where the e-mail went...). Since then, I've encountered problems with running Terraria. Due to using a laptop, I always run it on FPS-optimized settings (frame skip on, low quality, no backgrounds, retro lighting, waves/storms/heat off, etc.). It has usually achieved 60 FPS, though tends to dip in demanding situations (home bases tend to be laggy, presumably due to how much there is on-screen at once, as well as events such as Frost Moon or Pillars). Regardless, that isn't the main focus.

My FPS is fine to me. However, my mouse and keyboard have periodically become extremely laggy ever since the update. This seems to be independent from Terraria to some degree, since this occurs even in situations when there appears to be nothing taxing Terraria. In particular, rain causes my mouse movement to become extremely choppy. It begins eating my inputs, beginning/stopping an autofiring weapon can take several tries, and keys sometimes become "sticky" - my character may continue walking in one direction after I release the key or even press in the other direction. This can occur even when Terraria is running at a perfectly smooth 60 FPS.

Similarly, minimizing Terraria in the taskbar with frame skip off (a trick to effectively accelerate in-game time as much as the computer allows, typically used for AFK farming) causes a period of extreme lag to my laptop as a whole. The mouse continues to have choppy movement and there can be a pause of several seconds before Windows responds to any key or mouse clicks. In some cases, alt-tabbing to other windows causes them to freeze and then close abruptly. This period of lag can last anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute, and minimizing with frame skip on prevents it from occurring (but also prevents background acceleration).

My drivers claim to be fully updated, and reinstalling them does not fix the issue. I have attempted restoring a previous version of Windows 10 to no avail.

I am using a Lenovo laptop. I am running Terraria v1.3.5.3, and commonly use Task Manager to change Terraria's base priority to High when loading it. In Control Panel, my processor is "Intel Core i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.60 GHz" with 8.00GB of RAM. Graphics card is Intel HD, with approx. 2160MB total memory.

Advice on what the exact cause of the issue is and/or instructions on how to fix it would be deeply appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Windows 10 updating is dangerous, a clean system install is most likely the best choice to fix this. You can try deleting the json files from the documents folder but that may not be enough.

Deleting all the .json files obviously wiped my settings, but seems to have somehow fixed the entire issue for now. If the problem returns, I may post another follow up. Still haven't the slightest as to exactly what happened, but thank you.

A different problem seems to be occurring now. After deleting the .json file, attempting to enter windowed mode causes Terraria to crash.

terraria error.png

Thankfully, alt-tabbing out of Terraria and back doesn't crash it. Still, any idea on how to fix this one?

I am having an identical issue. Tried deleting the json files to no avail. Used to work perfectly, this is on a desktop that way surpasses the spec requirement. Fresh system install would be a pain but may be the only option.

It's completely unplayable at the moment, but it's the only game I'm having an issue with and I play Skyrim and similar games on Ultra with no issues whatsoever.

:(

After some more playing, I noticed that my inputs become choppy again. Deleting the .json files individually seems to suggest that specifically deleting input_profiles.json temporarily fixes it. Not sure if my actual keybinds have anything to do with this. Even so, this solution is only temporary, and I feel as if I'm not treating the cause of the symptom. Terraria still crashes if I try to enter windowed mode in any way.

After some more playing, I noticed that my inputs become choppy again. Deleting the .json files individually seems to suggest that specifically deleting input_profiles.json temporarily fixes it. Not sure if my actual keybinds have anything to do with this. Even so, this solution is only temporary, and I feel as if I'm not treating the cause of the symptom. Terraria still crashes if I try to enter windowed mode in any way.

How are you switching to windowed mode, and what do you originally start with? Can you provide details of the settings and resolution you have before and after. This may help the developers. If you have a dedicated graphic card, please use it, integrated cards have difficulty dealing with .NET/XNA native changes in some cases. I use ALT+ENTER to switch between window/full screen and no issues.

I start Terraria in fullscreen mode at 1600x900 resolution on a 1920x1080 monitor. When I try to go into Settings on the title screen and enter windowed mode there, the game immediately crashes. When I try loading up a world and using alt-enter to enter windowed mode, the game crashes and I go to my last open window (like alt-tabbing). I noticed Terraria already disappears from the taskbar in this case, even though I have to alt-tab back to the error message to actually close it. Again, this didn't begin occurring until I deleted the three .json files in Documents > My Games > Terraria folder.

I'm not sure what you mean by the settings details you'd like me to provide. I'm assuming it's not Terraria, but if it is, the top post should contain that information. Additionally, I believe my laptop does not have a dedicated graphics card...

Back
Top Bottom