NPCs & Enemies Undead Viking Warlord [Boss idea]

Posted this recently in another thread that discussed potential boss ideas, but walking through a barren snow biome, I thought I'd share it hear and see if I could get some opinions. I've modified a few things from my original post, but the idea is more or less the same!

Undead Viking Warlord [Golem-tier boss]​

Found in a small, broken throne room in the Snow Biome. Entering this 'throne' room would give the player the 'bound by ice' debuff, preventing them from modifying the throne room, or arena in which the boss is meant to be fought.

Can be summoned by finding 3 throne pieces throughout the Snow Biome (only 3 can be in a world at a time). These pieces would be interactable, and would allow the player to keep all 3 in their inventory at a time. To summon him, you'd have to approach a clearly destroyed throne, and restore the pieces (Simply interacting with the inactive throne having all three pieces in your inventory).

- Resembles the Undead Viking, but is much larger, has a pale skin tone, icy 'fire'-esque eyes, no chest piece, and a massive one-handed axe, shield combo.

His behavior would involve a first 'conservative' phase where he swings his sword once, then blocks with his shield (making any attack aimed at his shield void). At 1/4 of his health he would become enraged, and charge at the player with increased rage and damage. He would have ~ 48,000 - 50,000 health, very slow movement during his first phase, but much more defense than in his second phase, mimicking Eye of Cthulu's shift.

1. Invader's WarAxe (Axe-weapon) 20%: Has the Paladin's Hammer throwing effect, and functions as an Axe, making it very viable.

2. Warlord's Helm (Helmet) 20%: A helm that grants the player a buff called 'king of ice', which grants a 3%(?) chance an enemy in the snow biome will become non-hostile during combat, on top of having a solid defense value.

3. Drakkar Shield (Shield Weapon) 20% A shield, but that functions as a weapon. Would grant +8(?) defense, and have a knockback of 11.

4. Greaves of Cruelty (Boots) 20% Leave behind spikes of ice that inflict damage to enemies, and slows them.

5. Cloak of Blizzard (Vanity Cape) 20%

6. 20 Gold 100%

7. Couple of Potions 100%

8. Unstable Snowball (Summons a mini Undead Viking. Gotta add to the collection, right people? ;)) 1%

If anyone's interested in making sprites or a banner (depends on the interest), I'd gladly add that here as unfortunately, I don't know how to do either :/

Thanks!

Thanks to @TheWorfer27, @Animus Viral for their contribution!

Throne Room concept! [courtesy of @Animus Viral] -
abaf7a3634fbe57daf29d0c6ae153dd7.jpg

Last edited:
Uh oh. It looks like we have an ambiguous suggestion. Expansion questioning engaged.

What the holy hecc does that summoning bit mean? What is stopping me from sitting in a box and whaling on the dude? What does the warlord armor do? What's a sheild weapon? Is there an expert drop? Whats a waraxe do?

Uh oh. It looks like we have an ambiguous suggestion. Expansion questioning engaged.

What the holy hecc does that summoning bit mean? What is stopping me from sitting in a box and whaling on the dude? What does the warlord armor do? What's a sheild weapon? Is there an expert drop? Whats a waraxe do?
Oof, great questions.

Naturally, it’s a very broad idea.

To answer your questions the best I can,

1. I see the summoning like Plantera’s bulbs. 3 ‘throne runes’ scattered underground that you can approach and interact with, picking them up as you go. You’d also need to locate the summoning area, which I’ve labeled ‘the shrine’ for now. Interacting with the inactive shrine would summoni the boss provided you have all 3 summoning runes.

2. Not sure what this means, sorry.

3. Hadn’t gone that far to be honest (was hoping people could brainstorm with me, as I’m not experienced enough to make balance judgments for armor and weapons).

4. I had pictured the shield weapon acting as a balanced weapon between defense and offense. Could give like +8 defense, have incredible knockback, and deal 80-90 damage, with slow speed.

5. War axe would be similar to the shield in the sense of practicality. It would be an effective axe that functions as a strong melee weapon.

Any more questions?
[doublepost=1538013240,1538013050][/doublepost]To be completely honest, as I specified briefly, I am nowhere near experienced enough with Terraria’s mehanics to assign traits and stats to my ideas - I have no idea where to begin.

The idea was mainly to present the theme, and get some support from people who feel the snow biome is lacking.

Do you have any recommendations or additions to the concept I can add @TheWorfer27?

Ok, glad you awnsered those. Now to clarify on both ends. By the second question, I meant what's stopping me from sitting in a box and avoiding all the attacks?
Also, would the summon items be consumed? Or just keep being in your inventory for unlimited free fights? Also, I'd suggest some armor that gives crazy dps but like no other features.

Ok, glad you awnsered those. Now to clarify on both ends. By the second question, I meant what's stopping me from sitting in a box and avoiding all the attacks?
Also, would the summon items be consumed? Or just keep being in your inventory for unlimited free fights? Also, I'd suggest some armor that gives crazy dps but like no other features.

They’d be consumed, yes. This would generate 3 more randomly in the world.

As for the box, really good question. I’d make a debuff called ‘bound by ice’ wherr the character can’t modify the throne room.

Thoughts?

If you can't modify the throne room directly, what if someone used dynamite or a meteor hit it like how people force meteors to hit the lihzahrd temple. Then the summoning objects can no longer be used and we can't summon the warlord anymore, or world generation glitch like a underground cabin just generates in the middle of it? Can there be an alternative summoning item?

If you can't modify the throne room directly, what if someone used dynamite or a meteor hit it like how people force meteors to hit the lihzahrd temple. Then the summoning objects can no longer be used and we can't summon the warlord anymore, or world generation glitch like a underground cabin just generates in the middle of it? Can there be an alternative summoning item?

Hadn't really thought of this. Do you propose anything?

I would say that maybe after having killed him once, he drops the throne itself, and you can place it where you want after that, making it like the Golem's altar.

Thoughts?

If you say only 3 shards generate per world, what is the point of that throne other than vanity and bringing three other shards from another world to summon it? Could it be a crafting station item?

If you say only 3 shards generate per world, what is the point of that throne other than vanity and bring three other shards from another world to summon it? Could it be a crafting station item?

That's not exactly how I said it. I said only 3 could be in a world at a time, essentially meaning that you'd have to find 3, consume them, and then 3 more would spawn. You couldn't leave one in the biome, and find another '3rd' one elsewhere.

Like if you put them in it for saving it for later.
Ah, my apologies.

If you put any amount in chests, no more will respawn until the boss has been summoned. A few scenarios:

You find 1 shard - You'd need to find the 2 others.

You have 2 shards, and see the 3rd one on the other side of a cavern - Should you choose not to take it, it will remain there until picked up; None more are in your world are at that point.

You complete the boss using all 3 shards - 3, and only 3 more will randomly spawn again.

You place 2 shards (or 3 in a chest) - Nothing happens until picked up, assembled the 3, and interacted with the boss.

Does it make more sense?

Seeing that the Helmet has a chance to make something passive, I don't think equipments have "chances", they have solid abilities, like the Royal Gel for example. It makes a selection of enemies to make them passive.

Also, does the Bound By Ice debuff activate when you are in the Throne biome or just a number of tiles away from the throne, because it would make mining down there a fit of rage.

Soo, the Drakkar Shield works like an upgraded (and nerfed) Shield of Cthulhu? If so, nooope. This dude also needs an Expert Treasure Bag & drops.

What happens if the shards were somehow was destroyed like in lava or despawns or you were playing as a mediumcore/hardcore player and you die in lava while having in your inventory.

What happens if it somehow was destroyed like in lava or despawns or you were playing as a mediumcore/hardcore player and you die in lava while having in your inventory.
Ah, yes. Missing the items would mean breaking the balance of the space-time continuum.
Also, what would happen if we were to bring fragments from another world to a post-Golem one?

Seeing that the Helmet has a chance to make something passive, I don't think equipments have "chances", they have solid abilities, like the Royal Gel for example. It makes a selection of enemies to make them passive.

Also, does the Bound By Ice debuff activate when you are in the Throne biome or just a number of tiles away from the throne, because it would make mining down there a fit of rage.

Soo, the Drakkar Shield works like an upgraded (and nerfed) Shield of Cthulhu? If so, nooope. This dude also needs an Expert Treasure Bag & drops.

See, what I was saying haha? I had no idea either of those things existed.

1. What modification do you propose to the helm's ability?

2. Only inside the throne room.

3. Yes, that was the concept initially. What changes would you make?

4. Oof, I'll get to it ;) Any suggestions?
[doublepost=1538057358,1538057278][/doublepost]
What happens if the shards were somehow was destroyed like in lava or despawns or you were playing as a mediumcore/hardcore player and you die in lava while having in your inventory.
Ah, yes. Missing the items would mean breaking the balance of the space-time continuum.
Also, what would happen if we were to bring fragments from another world to a post-Golem one?

If one shard is 'destroyed', a replacement 3rd will respawn, as one has disappeared, and the world will ALWAYS contain 3 at any given time.

You could, as with most bosses, bring the summoning items into another world. Only 3 would naturally spawn however.

There are a few accessories that have chances like the Brain of Confusion's ability.
[doublepost=1538057792,1538057427][/doublepost]What would happen if the player was to force the boss out of the throne biome? Would it enrage or despawn?

Back
Top Bottom