Underestimating Crates...

I don't recall saying anything about having Hallowed in a pre-HM world. It's in my HM world, which works out just fine. As did saving crates until HM.

Your first post in response to mine is to prove that crystal shards can indeed be acquired while fishing...with a hallowed crate...which you can't get in Pre-HM because there's no hallowed in Pre-HM. That's what I am talking about.

The post I originally replied to said nothing about HM, as you've already noted. If you had specified then that you were talking about getting Crystal Shards in pre-HM, then that statement wouldn't have required correcting.

No matter, I explained and consider the issue finished.

If you had specified then that you were talking about getting Crystal Shards in pre-HM, then that statement wouldn't have required correcting.
to clarify he said he wanted crystal shards. you said he could hoard crates prehardmode and then open them for hardmode drops...but only hallowed crates give crystals.
the only way to get those crates is to fish in hallow. thats what he was talking about.

Last edited:
Of course they are good in big amounts, but I think their drops could be better, as all that time spent getting crates could've been spent exploring, where you will not only find ore, but also have the chance to get souls of light/night and other drops.

Of course they are good in big amounts, but I think their drops could be better, as all that time spent getting crates could've been spent exploring, where you will not only find ore, but also have the chance to get souls of light/night and other drops.

You can also get all of those by fishing.

Mixing it up is best, of course. But honestly, nothing beats getting a Seedler right after entering Hardmode. The Twins decided to be funny and spawn on the first night, our melee guy was having none of that.

Plus, infinite balloons without having to hop between worlds.

You can also get all of those by fishing.

Mixing it up is best, of course. But honestly, nothing beats getting a Seedler right after entering Hardmode. The Twins decided to be funny and spawn on the first night, our melee guy was having none of that.

Plus, infinite balloons without having to hop between worlds.
Yes, I don't know about the Biome Crates, as I spent a long time fishing in a big jungle pool, yet still haven't got any. Also it's not even set that you get one of the biome specific accessories which is quite sad.

I don't think it needs to be any better.

It's quite detracting from the exploration aspect of this game already.

This is the result of half an hour worth of fishing in the crimson biome.
Fishing trip 2 loot.PNG

In my opinion fishing is much faster than exploring and mining, although crimson biome crates are :red:ing useless apart from souls of night.

This is the result of half an hour worth of fishing in the crimson biome.

In my opinion fishing is much faster than exploring and mining, although crimson biome crates are :red:ing useless apart from souls of night.
What buffs/gear did you use ? I'd be interested in trying this too. Also I've noticed that the biome specific crates have a higher chance of containing hardmode ore, more than iron but not as much as gold.

Last edited:
It really depends on where you are in progression, and how high a fishing power you've got. If you're in early Hardmode and have decent or excellent fishing gear, fishing is no doubt much more efficient than exploring.

By the time you're close to or have arrived at the endgame, mining/exploring is much faster, and you won't be getting any Heart Statues, paintings, etc. from Golden Crates.

The only real use for many ores in the endgame, other than making timers and buckets, is as decoration; bars can't be used to make ore-based blocks and bricks, unfortunately. That makes fishing even less attractive as a means of acquiring ore.

It really depends on where you are in progression, and how high a fishing power you've got. If you're in early Hardmode and have decent or excellent fishing gear, fishing is no doubt much more efficient than exploring.

By the time you're close to or have arrived at the endgame, mining/exploring is much faster, and you won't be getting any Heart Statues, paintings, etc. from Golden Crates.

The only real use for many ores in the endgame, other than making timers and buckets, is as decoration; bars can't be used to make ore-based blocks and bricks, unfortunately. That makes fishing even less attractive as a means of acquiring ore.

You can find ore through fishing though, it's just that you might also find bars.

I've had more luck fishing for Titanium than finding it underground.

What buffs/gear did you use ? I'd be interested in trying this too. Also I've noticed that the biome specific crates have a higher chance of containing hardmode ore, more than iron but not as much as gold.
Gear improves your fishing skill and the higher your fishing skill the less bait you use, so really as long as you have a lot of bait fishing gear isn't really required (A part from the high test fishing line, pure rage when it breaks on a gold crate)

All you need is sonar potion (Which is just coral and waterleaf) and crate potion (Which is amber and a few other things)

Note that high fishing power also improves how rapidly you get bites (so you can reel and recast more quickly) and how often you'll get the rarer fish. For example, the Wiki lists the catch rate for Chaos Fish as 1:50, but I've measured my own catch rate for Chaos Fish over a long period of time and it's very close to 1:30. Then again, the Wiki could be wrong.

If you're trying to fish as quickly as possible, I'd recommend reeling in EVERYTHING (including crap fish). If you wait for bass and trout and such to let go instead of instantly reeling in and recasting, you end up fishing a lot more slowly. You'll use more bait this way, obviously, but won't need sonar potions.

Finally, if you're fishing for fish specifically, you may not want to use crate potions. Every extra crate you get will be one less fish, and if you're like me and have stacks of crates saved up in a chest somewhere, crates really don't matter.

This is the highest fishing power I've ever had. While it was this high, I got bites almost the moment I cast the line in.

48db6e61d4.png

Note that high fishing power also improves how rapidly you get bites (so you can reel and recast more quickly) and how often you'll get the rarer fish. For example, the Wiki lists the catch rate for Chaos Fish as 1:50, but I've measured my own catch rate for Chaos Fish over a long period of time and it's very close to 1:30. Then again, the Wiki could be wrong.

If you're trying to fish as quickly as possible, I'd recommend reeling in EVERYTHING (including crap fish). If you wait for bass and trout and such to let go instead of instantly reeling in and recasting, you end up fishing a lot more slowly. You'll use more bait this way, obviously, but won't need sonar potions.

Finally, if you're fishing for fish specifically, you may not want to use crate potions. Every extra crate you get will be one less fish, and if you're like me and have stacks of crates saved up in a chest somewhere, crates really don't matter.

This is the highest fishing power I've ever had. While it was this high, I got bites almost the moment I cast the line in.

48db6e61d4.png

How do you raise fishing power? I know you can get a better fishing rod, use better bait and wear the angler armor, but is there anything else you can do?

How do you raise fishing power? I know you can get a better fishing rod, use better bait and wear the angler armor, but is there anything else you can do?

Fishing potions help as do some of the Angler rewards including the tackle box and the Angler Earring.
Additionally, rain gives an extra 20 fishing power. Other then that, fishing power can be effected by the size of the pool you are using. :)

Moon phase and time of day also affects fishing power. Full moon is the best for fishing and early morning/late evening also helps a lot. Just using all fishing accessories and clothes + golden fishing rod should give you about 100 fishing power on an average sized pool.

Fishing supported two of my character's reforging bills in 1.3 expert mode so far (at least until you get slime staff/lucky coin farm going). Never underestimate just how much money you can make when you are just trying to make lifeforce potions :D

Back
Top Bottom