Underestimating Crates...

I also ended up doing 88 fishing quests before I got the High Test Fishing line. -_-

I've only done 51 and...
Fishing gear.PNG

note: this post actually took me about an hour to make. just a random fact.

"better potions" "HUGE boost" - It's an average boost to some stats.
"lots of mounts" - Exactly 4 of the 11 mounts in the game.
"but the cell phone requiring it is just ridiculous" - Saves 3 inventory slots.
"relying on patience, luck, and wasting time" - 'luck' aspect is influenced by fishing power and potions. It isn't a waste of time if you get "tons of things" is it?
"technically, you can play all the way to the end without killing the eye of cthulhu, queen bee, king slime, skeletron, and duke fishron, but it's much harder" - If you're going that far, fishing isn't also a requirement. You can play the entire game without fishing.

"making it be a requirement for tons of things" - Loot that may not have dropped in your Corruption/Crimson or spawned in your Dungeon/Jungle/Sky Islands/Surface chests, Potions (see above) and a "great accessory" of which 25% of the information shown is related to fishing.

here's some fishing-only items.

lifeforce potion: up to 100 more health
endurance potion: 10% reduced damage
rage/wrath potion: 10% extra damage or critical strike chance, the equivalent of (and stacking with) 3 accessories with damage or critical strike chance
summoning potion: +1 minion, almost mandatory for summoners
ammo reservation potion: extremely helpful for rangers
warmth potion: almost mandatory for frost moon
calming potion: reduces enemy spawn rate

i wouldn't mind if there was another way to obtain them, even if it was harder, for instance slimes rarely dropping them. but they're fishing-only.

fish finder: tells moon phase, useful for NPC shopping or werewolf farming. critical for cell phone, which saves 3 inventory slots. you can do a lot with 3 more slots.

the mounts obtained from fishing don't have even a remote relation to fish, and they consist of(i'm terrible at math) roughly 40% of the mounts in the game. that's a lot.

bladetongue, frost daggerfish, toxikarp, crystal serpent: these are pretty good weapons, especially the bladetongue.

obsidian swordfish: best spear in the game behind the north pole. extreme critical strike chance.

reaver shark, sawtooth shark: better tools than any other prehardmode.

crate loot:

lots of coins

enchanted sundial, extremely useful item

easy access to hardmode ores without mining or breaking demon altars

renewable dungeon, shadow orb, crimson heart, floating island, jungle chest loot.

mini minotaur

zephyr fish

other

honeyfin, best pre-hardmode healing item

and what i meant by wasting time was standing in one place. that's super boring

"technically, you can play all the way to the end without killing the eye of cthulhu, queen bee, king slime, skeletron, and duke fishron, but it's much harder" - If you're going that far, fishing isn't also a requirement. You can play the entire game without fishing."

i did complete the entire game without fishing, but i missed out on a lot of content, such as cool mounts(i used the slime until i got a unicorn), pets(i love pets), EXTREMELY helpful potions which would have resulted in a lot less deaths, cell phone(which i was really looking foward to), several achievements(so i can't get all of them, though that doesn't really affect the game itself), the obsidian swordfish and toxikarp, which i would have loved.

also, making fishing a requirement for a lot of cool things turns it into a chore, rather than something fun. many of the things obtained from fishing have no relation to fishing or fish whatsoever, such as the bladetongue and the biome crates. also, the new potions are great but just adding one new fish to craft each of them seems like kind of a cheap way to make them obtainable. for instance, the warmth potion could have been crafted with meteorite bars rather than frost minnows, as the tooltip is "warm to the touch". it would not only make more sense but also provide another use for meteorite, which usually sits in a chest and rots for the rest of the game after you make the 2 things you wanted from it. fishing should not be a requirement for so much in an adventure game. this is terraria, not fishing simulator. basically, i'd be fine if there were alternate ways to obtain the items gained from fishing, even if it was harder, because i really hate fishing.

minecraft made the same mistake and allowed you to get plenty of great stuff(such as enchanted bows) without much effort as long as you were fairly patient. wal-mart fishing never works out well.

It never works out well, yet the vast majority of people in this thread seem to enjoy it. Personal dislikes with Terraria's fishing are understandable, but you seem to be stating a lot of your feelings as hard facts.

Personally, I feel like Terraria's fishing is more satisfying than Minecraft's and is perfectly relaxing and addicting. I was so stoked when I got the Hardy Saddle from a crate I managed to fish up, and I actually have a good time fishing for potion ingredients.

In fairness, anyone criticizing a game (or game mechanic) on the game's own forums will usually be met by an army of loyal defenders. Such is life in online computer game communities. With one notable exception, most of my online/Steam friends who play Terraria dislike fishing and consider it boring. (The guy who's an exception has completed almost 700 fishing quests at this point... he may or may not be fully sane.)

Love it or hate it, fishing in Terraria is more-or-less about standing around and pressing a button. It's essentially a slot machine, but without the need for tokens to play and with a much higher chance of winning something useful.

In my opinion, the most interesting part of fishing lies in related activities other than the actual act of fishing, such as finding (or more often, creating) good fishing spots and either remembering where they are or building a convenient teleporter/track to reach them; developing efficient ways to gather bait; learning to gear up as quickly and efficiently as possible; trying for an all-time high fishing power; etc.

I'm very near 200 quests completed, and had done a number of quests in 1.2 before achievements were implemented, so I know a thing or two about it. Since I am a collector, I need one of every quest fish to put up on a plaque, and at least one of every reward. That's the motivation that has kept me going, along with the nicer potion ingredient fish. I'd usually rather be doing something other than fishing, though, the opposite of that ancestral "I'd Rather Be Fishing" mug/t-shirt motif.

@noeselket so basically you're saying that anything that requires a lot of patience but no skill shouldn't give good items.
Patience is as important as skill, also you're complaing about all the good potions?
It takes literally 4 minutes to go fish up about 50+ of those fish.
four minutes.

"the mounts obtained from fishing don't have even a remote relation to fish"

Turtle mount
Cute Fishron

All I can see in your posts is over-exaggeration ("EXTREMELY") and whining about "I don't like it, so I don't want to do it, but give me the rewards anyway"

The only problem I have had with fishing is the RNG with the Angler's quest rewards, but RNG applies to everything else as well.

The Purple Clubberfish spam is my one true gripe with fishing for potion fish.
Here are a few ways around this annoyance. They work with ocean toolfish overflow too.
  • Use a Piggy Bank or Safe to hold extras. Carry them to your base and sell them. Think of each Clubberfish as a potential gold piece.
  • Make your fishing hut valid housing, then (temporarily or not) move an NPC with a shop into the hut. When too many Purple Clubberfish accumulate, sell them then and theere.
  • Sonar Potion can help if you're low on bait. I avoid them because they strike me as wasteful of limited time and I almost always have plenty of bait. I'd rather make every bite into a catch and sell what I don't need.

yes. or at the very least, it shouldn't be required for things like good potions, mounts, weapons, cell phones, and anything else re-logic thinks up.

It's not necessary for most potions. I just wish the fishing gear was not locked behind RNG walls.

Here are a few ways around this annoyance. They work with ocean toolfish overflow too.
  • Use a Piggy Bank or Safe to hold extras. Carry them to your base and sell them. Think of each Clubberfish as a potential gold piece.
  • Make your fishing hut valid housing, then (temporarily or not) move an NPC with a shop into the hut. When too many Purple Clubberfish accumulate, sell them then and theere.
  • Sonar Potion can help if you're low on bait. I avoid them because they strike me as wasteful of limited time and I almost always have plenty of bait. I'd rather make every bite into a catch and sell what I don't need.

Ooh, that's smart. Just put a safe/piggy bank and a merchant NPC next to your fishing hole. Never thought of that.

Just saying fishing pretty much helped through expert mode when I got the sitting duck fishing pole early (Like before Eye of Cthulhu) I managed to get real good gear just from fishing like the falcon blade,balloon pufferfish,and sailfish boots also helped alot in hardmode when I got the crystal serpent which is Great for Steroid mimic farming if you have a mana flower

rage/wrath potion: 10% extra damage or critical strike chance, the equivalent of (and stacking with) 3 accessories with damage or critical strike chance

What even? Destroyer Emblem is 10% damage and 8% crit. The celestial accessories provide 10% damage, some crit on top of survival bonuses.

summoning potion: +1 minion, almost mandatory for summoners

No, it isn't almost mandatory. It is and always has been a little bonus.

ammo reservation potion: extremely helpful for rangers

As someone who uses mostly Ranged weapons, it's not. Less ammo consumption has never, never been practically beneficial. Ammunation is so easy to acquire in this game, especially with the buffed crafting amounts that came with 1.3. Please stop saying it is a benefit as if it could compete with the Hallowed Melee set bonus with the Hallowed trio.

warmth potion: almost mandatory for frost moon

I seriously think you need to revise the definition of 'mandatory'.

I was breezing through the Frost Moon, getting every weapon in one event, using the Tsunami with Venom arrows. And I wasn't bothered to get this potion for it. This was in expert mode.

Seeing that it takes so many hours to get the bait required to do a fishing spree like this I think the rewards are fair.

I'm no proficient fisher, but you can get stupid amounts just by mining the jungle shrubs and getting the bait from there. In a co-op game, my companion got well over 200 bait just from mining the shrubs that grew back every now and then.

Optimally, set your base at a Jungle of which has a flat strip of shrubs and happy catching.

You may be slightly underestimating both my fishing experience and my Terraria experience. :pI have thousands of platinum, a small mountain of Master Bait, and almost 2,000 hours of playtime starting from launch week in 2011 (although, about half of that is from leaving the game minimized overnight and so on).

My most precious resource in Terraria is time. My solution to the constant Clubberfish issue has been to trade rare materials and items with people for piles of Ebonkoi.

Actually, that's a solution for people who hate fishing: Use the forums, servers where cheating and spawning in loot isn't allowed, etc. to trade for the stuff you don't want to spend time fishing for. It's a hard road to hoe, because most people don't have massive stockpiles of extra potion fish, but a very few people really do love fishing and will have massive stockpiles to trade.

In fairness, anyone criticizing a game (or game mechanic) on the game's own forums will usually be met by an army of loyal defenders.
That is odd. Based on my previous experiences with online forums, the game's own forums are less likely to have rabid fans and are more likely to have the people who felt strongly enough about a certain game mechanic they didn't like that they made an account and sought to complain about it. Considering the majority of people here were either perfectly fine with fishing or enjoyed it as I had -- not a complaint to be found -- the only conclusion I could extrapolate is that people who outright hate fishing are a minority.

That being said: I appreciate that you took the time to explain where fishing is at its best (The preparation) and where it starts to feel boring (The act itself) for you, and the opinions of people you know, without holding them up as being hard facts. I can totally understand if fishing isn't really someone's thing in Terraria. Yes, it's kind of like a slot machine. But where it may be tedious for some people, other people find it rewarding, addicting, and even relaxing.

In video games that aren't solely dedicated to it, fishing tends to be no more than a slot machine. But that is why there are other rewarding portions of Terraria -- crafting farms and arenas to make the experience easier, progressing through the boss fights, (mostly) unrestricted exploration, etc. Though helpful, fishing is far from mandatory, and it's refreshing to see that it actually has interesting rewards that aren't solely geared toward improving your fishing ability.

I'm no proficient fisher, but you can get stupid amounts just by mining the jungle shrubs and getting the bait from there. In a co-op game, my companion got well over 200 bait just from mining the shrubs that grew back every now and then.

Optimally, set your base at a Jungle of which has a flat strip of shrubs and happy catching.

Yeah well i know that now.
I never knew there were crazy amounts of grubs in the jungle until I saw a tutorial on a bait farm, hell I didn't even know there were jungle specific bugs.

For those who find fishing to be boring, if you're into hacking hardware and don't mind going AFK it might be worth looking into an Arduino Leonardo. As in homemade mouse emulator with a timer that adjusts based on user-input fishing power. Just an idea.

Hobbyists in the US might want to check out Adafruit or Sparkfun Electronics.

Considering the majority of people here were either perfectly fine with fishing or enjoyed it as I had -- not a complaint to be found -- the only conclusion I could extrapolate is that people who outright hate fishing are a minority.

If I were to poll my friends who play Terraria, I'd come to the opposite conclusion. Drawing conclusions based on anecdotes and/or a tiny fraction of a fraction of the game's user base is sloppy deductive work.

All we can conclude with any certainty is that the majority of people who've chosen to post in this thread seem to enjoy fishing, and that in general, some people enjoy it, while others don't. We could further speculate that people who are interested in threads about crates, such as this one, are more likely to be interested in fishing to begin with.

Fishing is in the game and isn't going anywhere, so people who enjoy it will continue to do so, while those who hate it will need to find creative ways to get their fishing rewards or do without. Since trading is an option, I think it's a bit silly for someone to suggest that fishing rewards should be made available in some other way, and many such suggestions have been made in the past—for example, one person started a thread suggesting alternative recipes for Wrath potions et al. that didn't include potion fish.

My point isn't to paint fishing as either good or bad, but only to say that it's quite understandable why some people would find fishing boring or annoying, since it's rather sedentary and repetitive. I think it adds a lot of variety to the game despite being the sort of activity that some people dislike.

Back
Top Bottom