PC Underground Desert update

If there's a new invasion event, maybe they'll add one related to Lihzahrds? (Them being reptiles and all.) I think @Leinfors had that suggestion. As for mini-biomes or bosses, a termite nest is another popular suggestion. Or expanding the antlion population a little and a boss like the hornets and Queen Bee.

I'd like to see antlion mandibles get more uses, but tbh the first thing that popped into my head when I read "desert update" was new thrower stuff.

I'd like the new update also expand the Pyramid and add it to the UD.

And add some, erm, easier mobs early on. Having a spawn point near a desert is horrifying as hell, since you effectively can only go in 1 direction for a while, well unless you can avoid the mobs crawling from the hell desert pit.

Some things that the desert could use:

More unique item drops, especially in hardmode. Other than the sun and moon masks, the hardmode underground desert enemies don't drop anything that you couldn't get on the surface. A Desert Mimic with unique drops and a Desert Biome chest in the dungeon would also be cool.

More unique loot from chests. Maybe some of the pyramid loot could get moved to sandstone chests in the desert, plus some cool new loot, as well.

More uses for antlion mandibles (and light and dark shards too).

A revamped pyramid with some of the 1.3.1 traps/mechanisms added, plus a few new ones. Perhaps give it some new loot, as well (or a boss that you can fight).

An Oasis mini-biome that can spawn on the surface or underground. This would add lakes with some palm trees to the desert, to add some variety. The Oasis would also come with new unique fish to catch, and quest fish for the angler (plus the ability to get desert crates). However, it might also be home to dangerous enemies such as crocodiles, so you can't get too comfortable(though maybe you don't start getting crocs in the oasis until hardmode, so they're relatively safe until then).

A Snake Pit mini-biome, which is similar to the spider nests, except with deadly snakes and snake-themed drops/equipment.

The ability to craft sandstone blocks into sandstone bricks. Sandstone furniture would also be cool for desert builds. Maybe also the ability to craft silk and wood into Silk Blocks and Silk Block Walls to create tent-like buildings for the desert.

In short, it'd be nice if the desert got as much content as the jungle, or even the snow biome. (The snow biome could use some more content, but that could be saved for another update since the desert desperately needs the attention more)

well, i just heared about it, the next update 1.3.2 is gonna take on the desert, sooooo this post might be already useless lol
Uh, why? Are you saying disscussions are useless because it's confirmed?

And UD is 1.3.3 according to the tweet.

You know what I would like to see? Something in the desert that can resist hallow/corruption/crimson spread, like the jungle's chlorophyte. In all my worlds, the desert is usually the most in danger, as all of its blocks can be instantly converted. The Snow biome has some resistance due to snow. The jungle has mud and chlorophyte. The desert? Nothing. The fossil helps, but that's not enough as the corruption / hallow can just go around.
I have to carve tunnels to stop the spread, as that's the only way to contain it. Didn't have to do that to jungle or snow.

well, i just heared about it, the next update 1.3.2 is gonna take on the desert, sooooo this post might be already useless lol
I am happy to update the original post if there's been official confirmation for it. Otherwise (to the best of my knowledge) Cenx's tweet that 1.3.3 is an update for the underground desert stands as the only (known) source.

Cenx's tweet also implies 1.3.2 originally had some desert updates before they were moved back to 1.3.3. So on that note, I don't know what 1.3.2 is going to focus on or contain? Maybe it'll just have a lot of bug fixes...

The discussion isn't really useless regardless because we're still having fun speculating and wishing. :)

You know what I would like to see? Something in the desert that can resist hallow/corruption/crimson spread, like the jungle's chlorophyte. In all my worlds, the desert is usually the most in danger, as all of its blocks can be instantly converted.
It does seem to spread much faster through sand compared to other materials.

I know right? In just a few in game days the desert gets overrun. Its irritating, especially as the desert is usually pretty close to spawn.
Even in a large world its only like 5-10 seconds away.

The main issue with corruption in the jungle is that it completely overwrites the jungle, meaning any unique jungle drops are lost. This is especially annoying since Plantera is a required part of progression. The desert doesn't have these problems.

When it's time to expand the desert, though, the problem should be addressed. I'm guessing that hallowed desert and corrupt/crimson desert will have unique drops (like the light and dark shards), so there will be benefits to keeping both types. Not sure about vanilla desert, though.

Another thing I thought of: new music for the underground Desert. I think every biome except Jungle and Desert have separate surface and underground music?

@Cenx posted a tweet asking what people would like in an Underground Desert: link.

If you have Twitter, you might want to reply and share your ideas? Or perhaps Cenx will see this thread and get some inspiration / ideas from it. Anything is possible. :)

Yea, I don't know what could be added to Terraria at this point.
Quicksand would be nice, but I doubt they could do that in this engine.
I can imagine a knock-off of lava made to look like quicksand though, but they would have to come up with a new block for every liquid combo, new bucket, dropper, etc.

Edit: or use some pre-existing block(s):
Quicksand + Lava = Glass
Quicksand + Water = more Quicksand
Quicksand + Honey = ?!?!?

I vaguely recall they said at one point that the engine could handle one more liquid without major changes. But why would there be quicksand in the desert? I know there is in Looney Tunes... but I like to think Terraria is slightly less silly than that.

I honestly think the Underground Desert is great as it is, it just suffers from a lack of unique items and a bad place on the progression line (by the time you're properly strong enough for it, you're better off just beating the Eye / Evil Biome and moving on from there, and there's no reason to go there in Hardmode at all).

I'd love a reason to go there, but in 99% of runs I just skip it. I don't think there really needs to be anything extravagant at all like most of the suggestions for it to be a major improvement.

Well, it does have the extractinator, which is a useful item.
Other than that, there's not much. You can get throwing armor, but throwing weapons fall off late game, and anything throwing weapons can do the other weapon types can do better.

Would be nice if there'd be a pyramid-type dungeon, maybe with some Egyptian-like god reigning as the boss there. I wouldn't know what else they'd like to add to the desert; it seems pretty fleshed out to me.
Of all the biomes I think the regular underground is the most boring by far. The jungle and desert feel very complete.

Back
Top Bottom