Underrated and Overrated Games

What is most overrated?

• Total voters
NOTE: this whole list comes from MY perspective

overrated: minecraft and CoD for VERY obvious reasons. also the original SMB (i hate that game) and the first gen of pokemon games (genwunners)

underrated: terraria (again obvious reasons), all spinoff pokemon games and gen. 2+, every sonic game after sonic 06 and luigis mansion: dark moon

COD will always be overrated. At this point Activision can't come up with anything new. I hate that people still buy COD games even though it's still the same thing everytime. I don't think Minecraft is overrated, it's just popular. And for anyone says that it is copying Terraria, I think you need to do some more research and maybe try the game...

CoD is pretty overrated. I think that OoT deserves SOME of the hype (I'm a bit of a LoZ fanboy) . As for underrated games go Terraria and Monster Hunter ( Yep, still a fanboy) deserve more praise.

I think FF7 is pretty overrated. Even if I hated it and didn't enjoy the story, despised most of the characters, I won't deny that it's a decent game from an unbiased perspective.

Just decent. Not the masterpiece of all generations, or the second coming of Jesus himself, or perfection in video game form, like so many people seem to think.

CoD's a bit overrated, yeah, though I enjoy playing them and get my money's worth every time, unlike certain other overrated games.

Dragon Age: Origins, I'm looking directly at your stupid face.

Overrated? Destiny - just my personal opinion (If it has to be one of the suggestions you posted above, probably CoD; don't get me wrong it's not that they aren't fun it's just they- ARE THE EXACT SAME GAME EVERYTIME. *Clears throat.* They feel bland.

Underrated; I'd say Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I didn't see much hype over it, never even played the games before and that game was sexy on the Wii U (If I only can pick from the games above in the poll.) Gotta say Terraria, my friends try it for less than half an hour, don't even ask to play together and toss it aside like it's nothing. Yet they will play Minecraft for hours on end? Cool biased brah.

I hate all the fanboys from every game. Why do you think minecraft is a bad game? Terraria Community and minecraft Community is like Apple and android fanboys.
Both of the Games are great and makes Fun.
Cod is the most Overrared game. Every year the same Game.
For me is don't starve the most underrated game. Its really Unique and the artwork is brillant!

Any game that's released by one of the three prime evils (EA, Activision and Ubisoft) is overrated. They manage to hype their products but really make generic and bug-ridden :red:.

Any game that's released by one of the three prime evils (EA, Activision and Ubisoft) is overrated. They manage to hype their products but really make generic and bug-ridden :red:.

Well, Ubisoft did succeed with the 2 new Rayman's: Legends and Origins are both fantastically beautiful games. And the soundtrack is memorizing and memorable.

Voted for CoD. Those games all seem like little more than interactive movies to me.

I think Terraria and Minecraft are two very different games, but that's not merely about 2D vs. 3D. They have the same basic gaming elements, but with different focuses.

Terraria is much more of an action/RPG than Minecraft in many regards. There's highly developed action and much more loot. Minecraft, on the other hand, has very underdeveloped battle and movement aspects (read: action) -- but that's just because its focus is more on building. I think they're both excellent games and it would be a mistake to say one is "better" than the other, but that's just me.

Last edited:
GTA is kinda overrated, but for a short burst of five minutes it's fun to go and blow things up, etc.
I hate all the fanboys from every game. Why do you think minecraft is a bad game? Terraria Community and minecraft Community is like Apple and android fanboys.
Both of the Games are great and makes Fun.
Cod is the most Overrared game. Every year the same Game.
For me is don't starve the most underrated game. Its really Unique and the artwork is brillant!
Agree with you totally there. I want to get Don't Starve, but I need to get some funds. Gonna buy a ton because of Steam sales. Minecraft is alright, but vanilla gets stale. Luckily there are lots of modders - a few of my friends are. Unfortunately Notch is kinda lazy and just sold off the gAme. The thing I hate about games is the piles of merch they try to sell. Terraria's merch levels are allright. But if it gets to Angry Birds epidemic level, I think it is more than too late to stop. And another overrated game series is FIFA. You are basically paying £50 for an update, but people get it anyway. And that's not including all the packs and extras you have to pay for. I understand why it is liked though. I just hate watching football. I love a game of real football though.

I find a lot of Adult Swim games underrated. Examples would be Super House of Dead Ninjas and Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe.

Overrated: DayZ; holy hell that game is overrated, not to mention the dev pretty much ran with the money on the standalone. Minecraft; my biggest problem with this game (and why I don't play it anymore) is that it needs mods to be enjoyable after a couple weeks of playing it. If a game relies on mods for replay value like Minecraft does; that's not a good sign.

Underrated: Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm; an amazing FPS shooter, realistic and hard, I usually find myself immersed in every round I play of that game; too bad its fanbase is fairly small.

Aside from what I chose in the poll, I'd say destiny is being harshly overrated, not by the community but rather, larger reviewing names like IGN and so on.
I'm (Unfortunately) subscribed to them on Youtube, and I'm seeing them upload more destiny than an average person's number of breaths taken per day.
And it's not just them, I'm seeing destiny everywhere.
The comments sections though?
Literally everyone keeps saying how overhyped it was.

Also
65720b5ea4.jpg

fite me m8

The game is nice and all but people are making it out to be way, way, WAAAAAYYYY more than it is.

CoD (Overrated). It is always the same thing, and the plot often comes off as nonsensical. The first ones were likely better than the latest ones, if only because the first games didn´t use respawning enemies that much, and the enemies actually used their guns, rather than nearly constantly throwing grenades.
Terraria (Underrated): It is often assumed that Terraria is just 2d Minecraft, which is completely wrong, considering that it is a mix of Minecraft-like sandbox games, metroidvanias, platformers and, to a lesser extent, RPGs.

OR: all COD games and flappy bird. both are fun for about 5 minutes and then get really boring
UR: VVVVVV. it's actually quite a fun game and reminds me of the Atari 2600

How the heck did Starbound not get a mention for being overrated? For two whole pages as well.

Essentially, it talks big, but delivers little. Even in endgame, you're following the same routine you learnt from the very beginning: mine, make armor to stop being instakilled, acquire upgrade, fuse previous ore with coal to make alloy, make armor, get upgrade, next ore.

I would be fine with that if it happened sparingly. Don't get me wrong, when it's limited to bits at a time, I love myself a little mining. But this... this is a plate piled a mile high, and you're being told to eat it. No.

There's a lot else I could say, but I think my point is clear.

As for underrated, I would have to say The Stanley Parable looks as though it didn't get the attention it deserved. Your brain will be in a million pieces if you try to play out all the different endings...

Back
Top Bottom