underrated/overrated terraria weapons

vessal

Skeletron Prime
this is for weapons that get to much clout or to little clout
ex overrated storm bow
underrated sand gun

Sanguine Staff in specifically Post-Plantera was always overrated and outclassed even in 1.4.3. Other minions like Raven Staff, Xeno Staff and Desert Tiger outperformed it a lot in general, while even Blade Staff outperformed it against Daytime Empress if you had Kaleidoscope.

I feel like the Nightglow always gets overshadowed by the Razorblade Typhon. It does more DPS than the Razorblade Typhoon and its only drawback is that enemies need to be within range of the homing prismatic bolts for it to work. I might be biased though because I find the Empress’s fight really easy and enjoyable along with the fact I love any weapon with a rainbow aesthetic (because gay).

Last edited:
Both the Flying Dragon and Sky Dragon's Fury are underrated. Despite being capable of monstrous DPS for melee weapons and being easy to use, they barely get brought up as viable options. I think that's due in part to some people not bothering with OOA, rather than them being tested and ignored.

Both the Flying Dragon and Sky Dragon's Fury are underrated. Despite being capable of monstrous DPS for melee weapons and being easy to use, they barely get brought up as viable options. I think that's due in part to some people not bothering with OOA, rather than them being tested and ignored.
yah same here

the platinum broadsword is underrated cuz no one uses it and until you get the world evil ores your stuck with it people skip it for the bloodbutcher or lightbane

Ever since flails got reworked back in 1.4.0.1, I keep hearing people say that they're fantastic. They're great when you find one early on and especially if you upgrade it with torches, sure, but once you start getting some halfway decent weapons they fall off really hard. Their spinning range is really short, so even if their DPS is high you end up in situations where it's preferable to either just kill enemies before they reach you, or you want to start damaging enemies before they can start throwing projectiles at you. When thrown, the flail has a small sweet spot where it does good damage due to hitting twice, but otherwise the damage is mediocre and it often knocks enemies away without killing them, especially if they're flying, wasting time. If you miss a throw, you leave yourself open. Placing the head on the ground is great early on, but past the start it doesn't have that much value. If it's a grounded enemy that's susceptible to knockback it's likely to be a low threat, and there are tons of flying enemies that also tend to be greater threats. I've just never been able to see how the DPS of flails outweigh their many inconveniences once you're done with the very early game.

Starlight is really underrated, a weapon that on higher difficulties you'd need a tank build to use effectively yet still getting 2.5k-3k dps easily, which is more than solar eruption

on lower difficulties like classic n expert you can be expected to use a regular dps build and maintain 4k-5k dps

Ever since flails got reworked back in 1.4.0.1, I keep hearing people say that they're fantastic. They're great when you find one early on and especially if you upgrade it with torches, sure, but once you start getting some halfway decent weapons they fall off really hard. Their spinning range is really short, so even if their DPS is high you end up in situations where it's preferable to either just kill enemies before they reach you, or you want to start damaging enemies before they can start throwing projectiles at you. When thrown, the flail has a small sweet spot where it does good damage due to hitting twice, but otherwise the damage is mediocre and it often knocks enemies away without killing them, especially if they're flying, wasting time. If you miss a throw, you leave yourself open. Placing the head on the ground is great early on, but past the start it doesn't have that much value. If it's a grounded enemy that's susceptible to knockback it's likely to be a low threat, and there are tons of flying enemies that also tend to be greater threats. I've just never been able to see how the DPS of flails outweigh their many inconveniences once you're done with the very early game.
I personally found the flaming mace very useful, even when I had a godly ice blade already. But that’s the only mace I’ve ever found useful, so I guess that just proves your point.

Last edited:
wait why was this moved
The original section this was posted in was “Ask Me Anything (AMA)”. That section is for threads in which other members ask you things about yourself (not the game). So it was moved. :) Threads get moved all the time in order to try to keep the forums better organized.

A quick mention, in case you’re not aware, that posts in threads do need to relate to the topic (even if you are posting in a thread you created). It’s unclear how this image is connected to a discussion about which weapons are over/underappreciated, so it seems a bit offtopic. Just a tip for going forward - be sure your posts are on topic. :)

The original section this was posted in was “Ask Me Anything (AMA)”. That section is for threads in which other members ask you things about yourself (not the game). So it was moved. :) Threads get moved all the time in order to try to keep the forums better organized.

A quick mention, in case you’re not aware, that posts in threads do need to relate to the topic (even if you are posting in a thread you created). It’s unclear how this image is connected to a discussion about which weapons are over/underappreciated, so it seems a bit offtopic. Just a tip for going forward - be sure your posts are on topic. :)
ok will do in the future

I feel like the Nightglow always gets overshadowed by the Razorblade Typhon. It does more DPS than the Razorblade Typhoon and its only drawback is that enemies need to be within range of the homing prismatic bolts for it to work. I might be biased though because I find the Empress’s fight really easy and enjoyable along with the fact I love any weapon with a rainbow aesthetic (because gay).
The problem is that there are several mage weapons that deal more single target DPS for that purpose. Nightglow is an awkward mix of attempting to do everything effectively and ending up being a jack of all trades weapon.

The problem is that there are several mage weapons that deal more single target DPS for that purpose. Nightglow is an awkward mix of attempting to do everything effectively and ending up being a jack of all trades weapon.
especially the razor-pine tba it kinda needs a nerf

I recall that I found its homing projectiles very useful against the newly buffed master mode Duke Fishron. Since you can't just burst him down now, you have to focus more on dodging, and the nightglow will let you ignore trying to aim at him as he dashes around.

Back
Top Bottom