Underrated Weapons

Let’s just get this straight.. I don’t think people give the Nebula Arcanum enough love. It shreds through the other pillars as a mage, and it deserves more usage

The combat wrench is nearly forggoton.
so is the red Ryder and all of the candy cane equipment.
I should also mention the falcon blade and the aerial bane

The Combat Wrench.

It’s a pretty obscure weapon, and nobody talks about it, but it’s one of Melee’s better choices for late prehardmode. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a 12.5% drop from the Mechanic and works similarly to the Paladin’s Hammer - flying straight with good speed and piercing infinitely.

This makes it really good for Wall of Flesh, the boss Melee has the worst time with. It has limited range but still just enough to keep you safe, decent damage (a sharpening station is all you need to overcome defense). and infinite pierce. If you pair it with the feral claws, it should be perfectly fine on killing the Wall on its own.

Yet, nobody talks about it. I’ve seen it recommended exactly 0 times for the wall, as people always jump straight to Beekeeper or Sunfury instead, its wiki page is pretty much empty, and I rarely hear its name even mentioned.

The Nail Gun was surprisingly very helpful for me during the Frost and Pumpkin moon to defeat mini bosses such as Everscream, Mourning Wood, and Everscream. It can deal very high dps, and can be obtained directly after plantera. The only problem is that you need to buy special ammo to use it.

Life Drain. I bet that most people pick it up, think it's bad because it's not Spectre Hood healing, and then trash it forever.

The reality is that Life Drain is one of the best crowd control tools in the entire game, with a massive AoE, no pierce limits or falloffs of any kind and an attack style that barely requires any aiming on your part. And this is all on top of regeneration that, at minimum, equals that of Rapid Healing before it was nerfed.

And this is not just limited to enemies, this weapon destroys the Destroyer and even has use against Expert mode Plantera and all those little Tentacles that are hard to hit individually.

Flamethrower im the only one who loves it because its great for farming coins because it can kill BoF 4 seconds and BoF is the best boss to farm i think it gave me 1 platinum in 5 BoF 5

I'd say it's cursed darts
It deals so much DPS to destroyer that it becomes the stormbow 0.5 after stormbow's nerf, not only that, but the cursed inferno's buff makes it much more viable on the other mech bosses, even queen slime.

But every big terraria youtuber aside from crabbar and company egg, as far as I know, if they were to use darts, they're like: "Crimson! Crimson!" (I'm talking about you, beaverrac)

The Combat Wrench.

It’s a pretty obscure weapon, and nobody talks about it, but it’s one of Melee’s better choices for late prehardmode. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a 12.5% drop from the Mechanic and works similarly to the Paladin’s Hammer - flying straight with good speed and piercing infinitely.

This makes it really good for Wall of Flesh, the boss Melee has the worst time with. It has limited range but still just enough to keep you safe, decent damage (a sharpening station is all you need to overcome defense). and infinite pierce. If you pair it with the feral claws, it should be perfectly fine on killing the Wall on its own.

Yet, nobody talks about it. I’ve seen it recommended exactly 0 times for the wall, as people always jump straight to Beekeeper or Sunfury instead, its wiki page is pretty much empty, and I rarely hear its name even mentioned.
I used the combat wrench quite a bit on my first 1.4 playthrough and yeah I agree it's pretty good, but I never used it on WoF.
The nice thing about it is that when it hits an enemy it freezes for a bit before coming back which means it usually gets multiple hits per throw.

Life Drain. I bet that most people pick it up, think it's bad because it's not Spectre Hood healing, and then trash it forever.

The reality is that Life Drain is one of the best crowd control tools in the entire game, with a massive AoE, no pierce limits or falloffs of any kind and an attack style that barely requires any aiming on your part. And this is all on top of regeneration that, at minimum, equals that of Rapid Healing before it was nerfed.

And this is not just limited to enemies, this weapon destroys the Destroyer and even has use against Expert mode Plantera and all those little Tentacles that are hard to hit individually.
I'm one of those people that use to trash this weapon, and after using it a few times, I can agree its very useful. It's so good for cleaning up an awkward clump of enemies like the destroyer's probes.

The exact healing rate you get from life drain is (2.5 + (0.5 per enemy)) hp/s, and it also accelerates life regen time by a lot

The Desert Tiger Staff. Granted, part of why it's underrated is how worthless it was pre balance patches, but I still don't hear it talked about outside of this forum.

With Firecracker it deals single-target DPS that rivals or surpasses Xeno + Kaleidoscope including to aerial enemies.
The pounce also deals good crowd damage and goes through walls, rare for minions at that stage.

Being one minion means getting lost isn't so bad; instead of resummoning eight times or so you click once and it's back, complete with a free pounce for every resummon.

I'd have to use it in a playthrough for a full opinion, but I'm quite pleased just testing so far.

Plus it's absolutely adorable.

Last edited:
The Desert Tiger Staff. Granted, part of why it's underrated is how worthless it was pre balance patches, but I still don't hear it talked about outside of this forum.

With Firecracker it deals single-target DPS that rivals or surpasses Xeno + Kaleidoscope including to aerial enemies.
The pounce also deals good crowd damage and goes through walls, rare for minions at that stage.

Being one minion means getting lost isn't so bad; instead of resummoning eight times or so you click once and it's back, complete with a free pounce for every resummon.

I'd have to use it in a full playthrough for a full opinion, but I'm quite pleased so far.

Agreed, it’s the reliable minion pre-empress that people were asking for and it has shockingly good tracking. Its DPS against a single target is absurd. although I noticed Ravens and Xeno seem to outpreform it in group situations, it does excellent for Empress in particular and it’s they key for Terraprisma that people claim still doesn’t exist.

BTW if it’s hovering over an enemy and dealing no damage, unfreeze time.

I used the combat wrench quite a bit on my first 1.4 playthrough and yeah I agree it's pretty good, but I never used it on WoF.
The nice thing about it is that when it hits an enemy it freezes for a bit before coming back which means it usually gets multiple hits per throw.

Yeah, it’s pretty good for the wall. If you have the Feral Claws for autoswing, it pretty much stunlocks the Hungry, and since they all cluster together near the player it tears through them, which lets you get closer to the Wall to use other weapons such as Night’s Edge or Sunfury.

I think imo it would be the shadowflame knife.It helped a LOT in my twins fight and it destroyed them.
It is available right after wall of flesh.before any mech boss,so you have a good weapon off the bat.At least if you are not class restricted or are playing with melee.

I think imo it would be the shadowflame knife.It helped a LOT in my twins fight and it destroyed them.
It is available right after wall of flesh.before any mech boss,so you have a good weapon off the bat.At least if you are not class restricted or are playing with melee.
I don't think this is underrated because it's probably the only melee weapon that has same potential against bosses as ranged or magic weapons in early hardmode because of low use time

Last edited:
Hel-fire. Powerful for early hardmode and all you need to do is stay in hell after you defeat WoF and sometime later you should get it(took me 5 minutes). Better than Amazon and you can defeat Skeletron Prime with it.

Bone knives and bone javelins, specifically against BoC.

Okay hear me out, I know the underground desert is the least important place for a lot of you guys, but as a Ranger, you're naturally inclined to head down there for the fossil armor anyway, so I wouldn't really see a reason not to craft them.

The bone knives are a great alternative to jester's if you don't feel like farming up the stars, and they do pretty well against the creepers with their piercing, while the bone javelins are pretty great against BoC's second phase thanks to its knockback and DoT effect.

Bone javelins also stick to the original BoC during its 2nd phase iirc, which is pretty handy.

I'd have to use it in a playthrough for a full opinion, but I'm quite pleased just testing so far.

This, 100%. Tiger carried me up until I got Xeno, it does well against OOA and Empress herself with the right setup, and theoretically, it could carry you throughout the game until Terrarprisma or Stardust staves.

Boreal Wood is underrated
It has a bit more defense than regular wood and is easy to get
But it doesn’t matter when you can get cactus armor.
But if there’s a sandstorm, take what you can get

Back
Top Bottom