UnderTale

Have you killed Sans?

• Total voters

AerialAce

Terrarian
(Apologies if there's already a thread for this game, I couldn't find one in the Other Games board so I decided to create it myself)

Undertale is an RPG developed by Toby Fox, who also created the (somewhat infamous) Earthbound Halloween Hack and composed some of the music for the webcomic Homestuck. Unlike most RPGs, in this game you're given the option to handle nearly every single enemy encounter by taking a variety of actions in the game's battle menu, by which you're able to end each confrontation nonviolently. On the other hand, you're also able to kill all that stand in your path. (Doing so is not advised, for reasons that I'd rather not spoil here.) Enemies' attacks will appear in a box above the four battle commands ("Fight", "Act", "Item", and "Mercy", the latter of which is used to end battles without killing opponents), and you're able to evade them by moving a heart around said box out of the way of attacks.

Other than the basics, which I'm not sure I've explained adequately, Undertale is hard to explain. It's said to be inspired by the Mother (or Earthbound) series of RPGs, and this influence definitely shows: Other than the style of dialogue being similar, both this and the Mother series are definitely the sort of thing that need to be experienced to be appreciated fully. It's available on Steam for both PC and Mac for $10, and although the game is short (6 hours for one playthrough, but it's worth playing through the game multiple times), it's definitely well-worth it.

Also, having the best soundtrack I've heard from a video game since Xenoblade Chronicles definitely helps.

I first found out about Undertale when I watched somebody play the demo last year. I was HYPED ever since for the full release, and while the full game is nothing like I expected the demo to continue on like, I love it even more then what I expected. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

So in short, I liked Undertale BEFORE it was cool.

I heard of the game when Toby Fox presented it during this year's Earthbound Bash with a puppet of the Annoying Dog and downloaded the demo, but I never got around to playing it. I got the full game last Friday and just today finished all three routes. Was a lot of fun.

I heard of the game when Toby Fox presented it during this year's Earthbound Bash with a puppet of the Annoying Dog and downloaded the demo, but I never got around to playing it. I got the full game last Friday and just today finished all three routes. Was a lot of fun.
All three? I really can't do the genocide one. I both lack the skill to defeat sans and the capacity to hurt any of these NPC's.

All three? I really can't do the genocide one. I both lack the skill to defeat sans and the capacity to hurt any of these NPC's.
Yeah, starting it is obviously one of the hard parts, but man, those significant boss fights. I didn't know if I actually had the skill to do that last fight blind, either, but after like 38-43 attempts in three hours over the course of two sessions, I did it.

It's probably one of the harder things I've done in any game I've played (I'm not so great at a lot of games.). But it was also insanely fun to see some of the ridiculous patterns for the first time and just get completely caught off-guard as well as learning the fight and starting to consistently get flawless clears on each pattern.

Just too bad about that whole feeling like a piece of crap afterwards.

apologies for necropost but i feel this deserves a revive

anyway

943ed7f43ba09b81c803456b558418d8.png

Back
Top Bottom