Game Mechanics Unfair mode (expert+ and yes, this is a serious suggestion...)

Terrarian 2

Plantera
Need more of a challenge?
Normal mode not punishing enough?
Need that green slime to spank you harder?
Hard difficulty is not hard enough?
Disappointed with expert?
Tired of succeeding with little effort?
Are you still reading this?

IF you said yes to any of these questions you will need UNFAIR mode.

This difficulty setting is applied to the world you create + the effects of expert.
  • The following effects are applied in any snow biome if you are not near a campfire... chilled and weak, if you do not find a campfire or leave the snow biome soon you will get the frostburn and finally the frozen debuffs.
  • Slimes take much more damage to destroy and their attacks penetrate armor. They also can sometimes (20% chance) cause the stuck debuff which prevents movement for 2 seconds.
  • Zombies can open doors, if a door cannot be opened it is instead broken.
  • Bosses can spawn naturally at any time once their conditions are met, even during other bosses or events. Once defeated, they spawn more frequently.
  • The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime and the Twins can spawn their lesser bosses at any time (up to 1 at any time) and those lesser bosses must be defeated before their masters or you will take damage equal to what you inflict.
  • Plantera summons Queen bees to assist battle (they keep on coming).
  • Dungeon Guardian attacks if you attempt to speak to the Old Man during the day.
  • Critters attack back if harmed and gain 1000 defence.
  • All female NPC's attack you if you talk to them during a blood moon. They can still be traded with though if you are willing to put up with a little harassment!
  • The Frost Legion now naturally spawns and drop more snow throughout your world.
  • Goodie bags now contain tricks that punish the player as well as treats.
  • Presents explode if attempted to be opened (rare).
  • Medusa now spawns everywhere in hardmode (no longer exclusive to the marble biome), after the mechanical bosses are defeated they replace regular zombies at blood moons.
  • Events occur more often.
  • The Killer rabbit of Caerbannog replaces 5% of all bunnies and can only be killed with the holy hand grenade of Antioch (which is currently a mobile exclusive so good luck :happy:)
  • All bird critters attack if you are holding an item that gives the 'well-fed buff'. If the critter is successful it flys off with that item (and like said earlier if you attack the critter back it will gain 1000 defence and attack nonstop). However if you are successful you get your item back. (this suggestion was hated a lot... I don't know why though since critters only have 5 hp lol but whatever).
  • Enemies no longer drop hearts or mana stars.
  • Rare drops are more common.
  • Using Spectre armour or vampire knives allows enemies to life-steal your hp.
  • Drop all coins at death.
  • PVP is on by default and can not be turned off.
  • Moon Lord buffed... again! ...
EDIT! This suggestion is getting revived, but I have thought of more ways to improve this suggestion :naughty:I originally was going to make a new thread but then I remember this one, and with it being so similar, why not reuse it? More expansions will come soon!

• All bosses need to be defeated in order (Eye of Cthulhu, King Slime, Queen Bee, BoC/EoW, Skeletron, Wall of Flesh). You can talk to the guide for help for which boss you still need to defeat. Furthermore defeated bosses can be fought again for an additional challenge and get stronger the further you progress, this is to keep things more interesting (maybe this should be in Expert mode too?).
  • Stronger bosses drop an exclusive unfair exclusive item 5% chance (increases by up to 3% every new boss, up to 50% if every boss has been slain).
  • Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts cannot be destroyed till their respective boss has been slain at least once for the first time in your world.
  • The King Slime and the Golem can now move through blocks if their path is disrupted and can teleport just above the players current position (even in mid air) if no such path exist.
  • Eater of Worlds and the Destroyer can now both freely move.
  • Corruption and Crimson are now ruthless! Not even the hallow can stop them now! Both biomes of blood and evil and take over the hallow.
  • Lihzahrd traps replace dart traps in the jungle.
  • Honey new longer gives the honey! buff for increased regen, instead you get the slowness debuff because your sticky.
  • The Lost Girl has a 10% chance to be friendly and will offer you 15 gold coins if you approach her without attacking.
  • The Eye of Cthulhu now drops Servant of Cthulhu (Unfair exclusive) that allows you to sell items on the go. It works similar to the Money Trough.
  • NPCs are now 5 times more expensive but become cheaper the more you batter and build your relationship by simply taking to them each day (up to a no penalty). This resets if the NPC dies or moves however.
  • Mimics overlap regular chests after a period of time if left unattended, regardless of wall type and area in the world. These special mimics are invincible till they are approached. One may be in your house right now :naughty:
  • Items obtained in unfair worlds are tagged. If any items are transferred into an unfair world without this tag (on the character or even in the storage lime the safe) the character will become useable till the items are removed (So no cheating!)
  • The Nurse is now faints when she sees danger. Good luck getting that quick cure when the Twins or the Frost Moon comes knocking on your door!
  • Speaking of Frost Moon. Both Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon have a 50% chance to take over any bloodmoon (then another roll for either Frost or Pumpkin both at 50%). This chance decreases when both have been survived to at least round 15.
  • Pirates from the pirate invasions now plunder chests containing valuable treasures including gems, coins and ingots of valuable metals.
  • Rare enemies are less... rare.
  • All enemies scale to the players progression (bosses defeated, invasions bested ect). That will teach you for laughing at that green slime.
  • Yoyos have a chance to tangle you up (rare, 2 second stun) or the string to snap. This chance is negated however if you use string as one of your accessories.
  • Sheep now spawn it the world as a harmless critter. 20% chance for it to be a Wolf in sheep's clothing (wolf emerges from the sheep).

Last edited:
If you want more of a challenge try something like going through it with limited gear, or less health.

Most of these seem more punishing than challenging. Dodging is more vital than ever and yet you insist on medusas spawning anywhere.

Also a mobile exclusive required to kill it? Really? The one version which possibly won't get expert mode?

To sum it up, no.

This doesn't seem like something to add CHALLENGE. It seems to be just to add a nutshot to the players that have trouble in Expert.

If you want this suggestion to be GOOD, I suggest you remove invincible critters and the Killer Bunny, maybe remove the birds' additions, DEFINITELY remove the random boss spawning(that would make building near impossible), DEFINITELY remove the Medusas spawning everywhere, and balance risk and reward evenly.

This doesn't exactly seem like it's... good, as far as unfair goes.
When I think unfair, I don't think "stupidly OTT". Medusas spawning everywhere isn't fun. It should be fun in the same way Dark Souls is fun. That game is unfair, but fun. The campfire thing I like, the slime thing sounds funny, Zombie thing is an "eh". Having bosses continue to naturally spawn after you kill them sounds unfair but fun, but not increasing in frequency. Maybe decreasing in frequency, but not stopping.

All the rest except the "No hearts/mana stars" and "PvP always on" are just... no. I'd suggest cutting down the ones that just sound unnecessary even by Terraria standards and are just an annoyance (That critter thing... whyy. And the angry bunny thing. Whyy), even by "unfair" standards. Unfair does not mean impossible. It simply means massively balanced against you.

It's entirely possible for a game to be challenging or difficult, yet not unfair and still fun.

Let me look at these one at a time:
1. Only an issue very earlygame, once campfires (which are cheap) are placed it's meaningless.
2. No comment.
3. Meh, easily countered.
4. Not really certain how this is especially more challenging, honestly it would save me time gathering summon materials. If the boss is actively dangerous to me, I could warp home, die, and grab my stuff easily.
5. At that point in the game, the prehardmode bosses are a joke, even in expert. The only danger would be spawning them without any warning and shredding yourself with reflected damage.
6. Again, QB is a joke with early hardmode gear.
7. Meh, wait for the music to change or bring a clock.
8. No comment.
9. Dryad and Steampunker sell special items during a blood moon, and you would only fall for it either never or once.
10. No comment.
11. That sounds nifty and thematically accurate.
12. That sounds dumb.
13. I was hoping for something clever, not "spam 'that one enemy' everywhere"
14. Sure, I hate waiting for eclipses, they like never happen for me.
15. Just dumb.
16. Just dumb.
17. No comment.
18. No comment.
19. Just dumb.
20. No comment.
21. No comment.
22. In what way?

You stopped caring partway through writing, clearly. If you want it to be taken as "a serious suggestion," you'd do well to make it sound like one.

Overall, the worst part of this idea is the Dungeon Guardian. Things like this could happen:

1. Hardcore Player sees dungeon entrance.
2. Thinking that they can just talk to the Old Man to rescue him, they click on him.
3. Dungeon Guardian.
4. Death.

This isnt good. IT'S AMAZING!!!! Ive been through expert mode so many times now, and it feels like normal mode. And when i go to do a normal mode playthrough... Its just so easy. The bosses feel like regular enemies. This is what ive been wanting, and i agree with everything youve said (except the bunny holy hand grenade thing). *judging by the previous posts, knows im about to get my :red: handed to me by other users*

I've just thought of one simple thing we could do to make this work:
Enemies having stats that scale up based on your tier.
Let me explain.
Say, for example, you're a late pre-HM player decked out in molten armour and a wide variety of weapons. All the enemies up to that point would be using stats that challenge you even in that armour since you killed the EoW, even green slimes. You go to kill the WoF, and the enemies scale up yet again, this time to stats that would challenge a player in adamantite/titanium. Kill the mechs, and they scale up further.
That way, every enemy is a challenge regardless of your tier.

Like crackshotCerebus said, this isn't a challenge; It's just flipping a bird at anyone and everyone. I'll break it down like Shadowaltz did;
  • The following effects are applied in any snow biome if you are not near a campfire... chilled and weak, if you do not find a campfire or leave the snow biome soon you will get the frostburn and finally the frozen debuffs.
  • Slimes take much more damage to destroy and their attacks penetrate armor. They also can sometimes (20% chance) cause the stuck debuff which prevents movement for 2 seconds.
  • Zombies can open doors, if a door cannot be opened it is instead broken.
  • Bosses can spawn naturally at any time once their conditions are met, even during other bosses or events. Once defeated, they spawn more frequently.
  • The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime and the Twins can spawn their lesser bosses at any time (up to 1 at any time) and those lesser bosses must be defeated before their masters or you will take damage equal to what you inflict.
  • Plantera summons Queen bees to assist battle (they keep on coming).
  • Dungeon Guardian attacks if you attempt to speak to the Old Man during the day.
  • Critters attack back if harmed and gain 1000 defence.
  • All female NPC's attack you if you talk to them during a blood moon. They can still be traded with though if you are willing to put up with a little harassment!
  • The Frost Legion now naturally spawns and drop more snow throughout your world.
  • Goodie bags now contain tricks that punish the player as well as treats.
  • Presents explode if attempted to be opened (rare).
  • Medusa now spawns everywhere in hardmode (no longer exclusive to the marble biome), after the mechanical bosses are defeated they replace regular zombies at blood moons.
  • Events occur more often.
  • The Killer rabbit of Caerbannog replaces 5% of all bunnies and can only be killed with the holy hand grenade of Antioch (which is currently a mobile exclusive so good luck :happy:)
  • All bird critters attack if you are holding an item that gives the 'well-fed buff'. If the critter is successful it flys off with that item (and like said earlier if you attack the critter back it will gain 1000 defence and attack nonstop). However if you are successful you get your item back. (this suggestion was hated a lot... I don't know why though since critters only have 5 hp lol but whatever).
  • Enemies no longer drop hearts or mana stars.
  • Rare drops are more common.
  • Using Spectre armour or vampire knives allows enemies to life-steal your hp.
  • Drop all coins at death.
  • PVP is on by default and can not be turned off.
  • Moon Lord buffed... again! ...
  • All bosses need to be defeated in order (Eye of Cthulhu, King Slime, Queen Bee, BoC/EoW, Skeletron, Wall of Flesh). You can talk to the guide for help for which boss you still need to defeat. Furthermore defeated bosses can be fought again for an additional challenge and get stronger the further you progress, this is to keep things more interesting (maybe this should be in Expert mode too?).
  • Stronger bosses drop an exclusive unfair exclusive item 5% chance (increases by up to 3% every new boss, up to 50% if every boss has been slain).
  • Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts cannot be destroyed till their respective boss has been slain at least once for the first time in your world.
  • The King Slime and the Golem can now move through blocks if their path is disrupted and can teleport just above the players current position (even in mid air) if no such path exist.
  • Eater of Worlds and the Destroyer can now both freely move.
  • Corruption and Crimson are now ruthless! Not even the hallow can stop them now! Both biomes of blood and evil and take over the hallow.
  • Lihzahrd traps replace dart traps in the jungle.
  • Honey new longer gives the honey! buff for increased regen, instead you get the slowness debuff because your sticky.
  • The Lost Girl has a 10% chance to be friendly and will offer you 15 gold coins if you approach her without attacking.
  • The Eye of Cthulhu now drops Servant of Cthulhu (Unfair exclusive) that allows you to sell items on the go. It works similar to the Money Trough.
  • NPCs are now 5 times more expensive but become cheaper the more you batter and build your relationship by simply taking to them each day (up to a no penalty). This resets if the NPC dies or leaves however.
  • Mimics replace regular chests after a period of time if left unattended and empty.
  • Items obtained in unfair worlds are tagged. If any items are transferred into an unfair world without this tag (on the character or even in the storage lime the safe) the character will become useable till the items are removed (So no cheating!)
  • We already have Chilled in the Snow Biome from touching water, and it's a pain in the :red: to deal with; Additionally, being frozen randomly isn't the best way to make something hard.
  • This one isn't so bad; Just make Stuck be a slowdown or reduce the time spent stuck.
  • Zombies aren't meant to just open doors; For one of the most common monsters at Night, it'd be hell.
  • Any boss that has 'conditions' can already spawn naturally; Making them spawn even more after you've killed them would both make no sense and would, not unlike the Chilled debuff, be a pain in the :red:.
  • The Pre-Hardmode bosses would add no difficulty to the Mech Bosses' battles, and the fact that any damage dealt to the Mechs while the Pre-HM bosses are alive is in no way balanced.
  • The same applies here as with the first part of the last sentence.
  • The Dungeon Guardian is meant to keep people out of the Dungeon, not keep people from even trying to kill Skeletron.
  • There is literally no purpose to this.
  • Not bad, but it'd be terrible Pre-Hardmode, especially with no Shield.
  • The Frost Legion is an optional event and should stay that way; It's just trolling if you get snow all over your world because RNJesus decided to screw you over.
  • This could be a good idea, but as a separate item, kind of like the Lucky Block mod or the Block of Many Things mod.
  • I don't think it'd be okay to open a present, expecting, say, a Red Rider or a Dog Whistle, and be blown up.
  • This, like many other ideas involving Medusa, is just to piss people off; It doesn't even make sense.
  • We already have enough hate for the Solar Eclipse => Blood Moon Cycle happening over and over.
  • Imagine this on any difficulty other than Softcore. An unkillable enemy that can one-hit you.
  • This is just to annoy people; Birds have no appetite for a scorched Pumpkin Pie.
  • This would be especially hated by Mages; They'd either have to be defenseless and unmoving for a while or have halved damage.
  • No comment.
  • There's no use for this; If you hit someone and they were carrying bloody knives, you wouldn't suddenly get hurt and they, in part, would suddenly be healed. I mean, you would suddenly get hurt, but that's pretty much a given.
  • Piggy Banks and Money Troughs exist.
  • So just make Multiplayer nearly unplayable?
  • No comment.
  • That could be interesting, but it'd completely ruin any 'x boss on first night' things.
  • So you'd need to face already strengthened bosses over and over just for RNG to laugh in your face. Okay.
  • This doesn't make much sense, given that Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts are the main way to summon their respective bosses.
  • King Slime and Golem are meant to collide with blocks; I could see a system like how Mourning Woods, Everscreams, and Santa-NK1's travel through blocks being applied, though.
  • What does that mean?
  • Making the biomes take over the Hallow would be useless; Most people use Snow to contain them.
  • Insta-killing anyone exploring the Jungle Pre-HM isn't a good selling point.
  • So now Honey's useless.
  • The Lost Girl is meant to be a jumpscare-type enemy, not a risk/reward one. Oh god what have I said I'm sorry in advance for the mental images.
  • That doesn't seem very fitting of the EoC, but the concept is good.
  • That's basically putting a however-many-day limit on NPC trading.
  • I feel that a Mimic rarely spawning on chests would be better; They'd spawn on the chest's exact position so they'd look normal.
  • This is a very good idea, or at least tagging items based on the world they originated from is. It'd stop so many people from cheating.
And now, I give you one, solid piece of advice for this:
If you had to play this, would you enjoy it?

All these "Challenges" are doing is making the game artificially harder, some of them blatantly annoy players and make things tedious rather than being a difficult thing.

Like crackshotCerebus said, this isn't a challenge; It's just flipping a bird at anyone and everyone. I'll break it down like Shadowaltz did;

• We already have Chilled in the Snow Biome from touching water, and it's a pain in the :red: to deal with; Additionally, being frozen randomly isn't the best way to make something hard.
  • This one isn't so bad; Just make Stuck be a slowdown or reduce the time spent stuck.
  • Zombies aren't meant to just open doors; For one of the most common monsters at Night, it'd be hell.
  • Any boss that has 'conditions' can already spawn naturally; Making them spawn even more after you've killed them would both make no sense and would, not unlike the Chilled debuff, be a pain in the :red:.
  • The Pre-Hardmode bosses would add no difficulty to the Mech Bosses' battles, and the fact that any damage dealt to the Mechs while the Pre-HM bosses are alive is in no way balanced.
  • The same applies here as with the first part of the last sentence.
  • The Dungeon Guardian is meant to keep people out of the Dungeon, not keep people from even trying to kill Skeletron.
  • There is literally no purpose to this.
  • Not bad, but it'd be terrible Pre-Hardmode, especially with no Shield.
  • The Frost Legion is an optional event and should stay that way; It's just trolling if you get snow all over your world because RNJesus decided to screw you over.
  • This could be a good idea, but as a separate item, kind of like the Lucky Block mod or the Block of Many Things mod.
  • I don't think it'd be okay to open a present, expecting, say, a Red Rider or a Dog Whistle, and be blown up.
  • This, like many other ideas involving Medusa, is just to piss people off; It doesn't even make sense.
  • We already have enough hate for the Solar Eclipse => Blood Moon Cycle happening over and over.
  • Imagine this on any difficulty other than Softcore. An unkillable enemy that can one-hit you.
  • This is just to annoy people; Birds have no appetite for a scorched Pumpkin Pie.
  • This would be especially hated by Mages; They'd either have to be defenseless and unmoving for a while or have halved damage.
  • No comment.
  • There's no use for this; If you hit someone and they were carrying bloody knives, you wouldn't suddenly get hurt and they, in part, would suddenly be healed. I mean, you would suddenly get hurt, but that's pretty much a given.
  • Piggy Banks and Money Troughs exist.
  • So just make Multiplayer nearly unplayable?
  • No comment.
  • That could be interesting, but it'd completely ruin any 'x boss on first night' things.
  • So you'd need to face already strengthened bosses over and over just for RNG to laugh in your face. Okay.
  • This doesn't make much sense, given that Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts are the main way to summon their respective bosses.
  • King Slime and Golem are meant to collide with blocks; I could see a system like how Mourning Woods, Everscreams, and Santa-NK1's travel through blocks being applied, though.
  • What does that mean?
  • Making the biomes take over the Hallow would be useless; Most people use Snow to contain them.
  • Insta-killing anyone exploring the Jungle Pre-HM isn't a good selling point.
  • So now Honey's useless.
  • The Lost Girl is meant to be a jumpscare-type enemy, not a risk/reward one. Oh god what have I said I'm sorry in advance for the mental images.
  • That doesn't seem very fitting of the EoC, but the concept is good.
  • That's basically putting a however-many-day limit on NPC trading.
  • I feel that a Mimic rarely spawning on chests would be better; They'd spawn on the chest's exact position so they'd look normal.
  • This is a very good idea, or at least tagging items based on the world they originated from is. It'd stop so many people from cheating.
And now, I give you one, solid piece of advice for this:
If you had to play this, would you enjoy it?

Both bosses will no longer be limited by blocks. They could even fly upwards after the enemy like the Wyvern to stop people cheesing them with platforms.

A suggestion:
All Enemies have 50% of chance to be chuck norris, that instakills you
[doublepost=1497127606,1497127559][/doublepost]
A suggestion:
All Enemies have 50% of chance to be chuck norris, that instakills you
And is Invincible, Immune to Knockback , and not despawn

"Oh look a blood moon!"
It is now the Frost Moon!
Wave 1: Bla bla bla....

"Wait WHA-"
Speaking of Frost Moon. Both Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon have a 50% chance to take over any bloodmoon (then another roll for either Frost or Pumpkin both at 50%). This chance decreases when both have been survived to at least round 15.
Definitely remove this part. Or make it post Golem and 2%. If it could do this pre-Hardmode, most characters would keep dying and dying and dying...

....until the night is over. Especially if it were a Hardcore character.

Honestly. Not a fan.

However i will give some advice:

ITEMS. You need to list ITEMS. Like what do you get for killing a boss in unfair mode? An upgraded wormscarf or a mediocre upgrade to a mediocre sidegrade?

COHERENCY. Half, no, more than half these changes are "Maaan wouldnt THIS be annoying!". Expert is more than "boy lets make this hell" it added new AI and attack patterns and added the above tip with new items. All this does is throw everything this fandom hates into a blender for the "lulz".

CREATIVITY. None of these ideas except maybe the campfire one are entirely original or good. The rest are either meh changes that have already been suggested but most of these are "HEY I KNOW LETS MAKE X SPAWN HERE AND HERE NO ONE HAS THOUGHT OF THAT!"
Basically be original but good.

Finally.

REAL DIFFICULTY. Look it up on Tv Tropes. No really, do it.

a nurse fainting at danger? pretty crap nurse then, some of the stuff they see on a daily basis would make you need brain bleach!

Back
Top Bottom