Items Unlimited Blade Staff

Nemo

Terrarian
Unlimited Blade Staff

Crafting : Blade Staff + Broken Hero Sword (+ whatever)

Everything is the same as Blade Staff except
  1. Ignores 100% armor (the damage will still be low due to low base damage so it will still have it's "thousand cuts" concept; nor should it be a problem balance-wise[1])
  2. Allows summoning additional blades pass minion cap at the cost of X mana/sec per blade - once OOM the additional blades desummon without mana to support them.
(Edit: Just to clarify, for each additional minion past cap you will use X mana/sec per minion. So if you have 5 additional blades pass cap, and it's set to 10mana/sec per minion, you will use 50 mana/sec.)

Truly unlimited blades if you are willing to pay for it in mana.

PS: At the very least it will add an additional dimension to summoner gameplay.

[1] Enemy armor really only exist to prevent low level items from being used later in the game if you think about it.

Last edited:
All you need to kill it is to move fast, and use the fastest weapon available that can be used from a safe distance

I perfer the sanguine, you can get it earlier, plus theres a really easy method to kill dread nautilus

This is way too good.
This is ridiculously overpowered. The current blade staff we have is already really, really, good.

The armor pen is really to prevent it from being useless late game.

As for how powerful it is ... it will depend on what X is set to. My original post was a tad ambiguous but I hope the "scale with number of minions" aspect was implicitly conveyed. The more additional minions (pass cap), the higher the drain on your mana. Theoretically you can get an unlimited number of blade minions but it going to burn mana like crazy.

Dungeon guardians, beware
I think flagging the Dungeon Guardian to be immune to armor pen would fix that.

The armor pen is really to prevent it from being useless late game.
Uh, no. The armor penetration is on the blade staff so that it can deal more than 1 damage against everything with more than 10 defense.
As for how powerful it is ... it will depend on what X is set to. My original post was a tad ambiguous but I hope the "scale with number of minions" aspect was implicitly conveyed. The more additional minions (pass cap), the higher the drain on your mana. Theoretically you can get an unlimited number of blade minions but it going to burn mana like crazy.
How is burning mana an issue if you aren't even the class that uses magic weapons and mana isn't even a concern past the initial summoning?

Uh, no. The armor penetration is on the blade staff so that it can deal more than 1 damage against everything with more than 10 defense.

How is burning mana an issue if you aren't even the class that uses magic weapons and mana isn't even a concern past the initial summoning?
I meant, my proposed 100% armor penetration for my suggested Unlimited Blade Staff is so that it's not useless late game - because enemy armor is partly what kills the Blade Staff late game; and I don't want to increase its base damage (as it won't be "cuts" anymore)

I think you misunderstood how my proposed Unlimited Blade Staff works. When the additional minions (pass cap) are active (i.e. summoned), it will drain your mana continuously - until you run OOM or you cancel the additional summons by right clicking the icon.

e.g. I can summon 11 blades normally. I summon more pass my minion cap for a total of 20 minions - 9 extra minions; there will be a 2nd status icon representing these. To keep those extra 9 active, if X is set to say 6 mana/sec/minion, I will use up 9x6= 54mana/sec continuously. I can cancel the extra 9 and stop the mana drain by right clicking away the status icon. Theoretically I can have unlimited number of minions, it's just that the mana drain will get worse and worse as the numbers goes up.

I meant, my proposed 100% armor penetration for my suggested Unlimited Blade Staff is so that it's not useless late game - because enemy armor is partly what kills the Blade Staff late game; and I don't want to increase its base damage (as it won't be a "cuts" anymore)
You can literally summon infinite minions with this. It will never be useless.
I think you misunderstood how my proposed Unlimited Blade Staff works. When the additional minions (pass cap) are active (i.e. summoned), it will drain your mana continuously - until you run OOM or you cancel the additional summons by right clicking the icon.

e.g. I can summon 11 blades normally. I summon more pass my minion cap for a total of 20 minions - 9 extra minions; there will be a 2nd status icon representing these. To keep those extra 9 active, if X is set to say 6 mana/sec/minion, I will use up 9x6= 54mana/sec continuously. I can cancel the extra 9 and stop the mana drain by right clicking away the status icon. Theoretically I can have unlimited number of minions, it's just that the mana drain will get worse and worse as the numbers goes up.
You realize the mana potion hotkey exists, right? You can just keep summoning them and you can just keep pressing that button to refill your mana because mana potions take practically nothing to obtain by that point in the game. Not to mention that mana sickness doesn't even lower summon damage so there's literally no downside to doing this.

This seems a lot more balanced when you explain it. It is way too good for post Plantera though.
Sorry for the gaps in my original post.

I just thought it would be an interesting weapon with its somewhat unique mechanic.

Edit: If ease of acquiring is your concern ... just up the ingredients. You can even make it Summoner's Zenith and have players create a "Summoner's Soul" (by combining some of the previous minions staffs) as a 3rd ingredient.

Last edited:

You realize the mana potion hotkey exists, right? You can just keep summoning them and you can just keep pressing that button to refill your mana because mana potions take practically nothing to obtain by that point in the game. Not to mention that mana sickness doesn't even lower summon damage so there's literally no downside to doing this.
Just disable mana hotkey, or at least make it like potion sickness(not being able to use mana while the two debuffs are active)

I know. Nigh infinite minions is the point. How many mana potions you are willing to farm & craft and your inventory size is the only constraint on how long you can sustain that many minions - you don't even need to hotkey frankly, just use a mana flower; your key spamming would probably not be able to keep up.

The downside is farming ...

Back
Top Bottom