Unpopular Opinion: I Dislike Ranger

Buddy1Sock

Terrarian
Before everyone jumps me, ranger is a good class. It has high DPS, can attack from a distance, isn't too frail, and is probably the strongest class imo. Then why do I dislike it? Because it’s SOOOOO boring. No offense to any ranged mains out there, of course, but not many of the weapons pique my interest. Plus, I don’t like having to collect ammo. The only time I find ranger fun is when I use the flashy weapons like the Daedalus Stormbow, but even then other classes like mage or hard-mode melee are more flashy anyways. But now I ask you all, what’s your least favorite class and why? Just curious. :)

ranger isn't my main class, but I found it reliable. even if the weapons seem boring they can be used for good DPS. My personal least favorite is the mage class. It's almost as weak as summoner and I feel like the weapons are underwhelming. (don't hate me for this)

I love ranger, (I love summoner too, but that's beside the point) because it's so satisfying to be able to absolutely lazer enemies from a distance. It's all about the skill of the shot. (Besides autoaim, lol) And collecting ammo isn't a weakness. It's a strength. There is no other class in which you can change the entire effect and power of a weapon just based on what you chose. Magic will always rely on your mana, and summoning will always rely on AI, and melee will always require you to get a little too close sometimes. So it may not be the flashiest class out there, or the most interesting for the whole game, but ranger will always be the most consistent and reliable. That's why I love it so much.:) (So ends my love letter to the ranger class, haha)

Edit: Least favorite class is most definately melee. It requires to be a little too close for my preferences, and has the same mechanics for most of the game. Rangers have ammo that changes things up for the duration of the whole game.

Imo ranger’s weapons are a lot more fun to use than melee’s rotating sprites with generic straight flying projectiles. At least ranger’s straight flying projectiles do more than just “wow we pierce a couple enemies how original are we”

Imo ranger’s weapons are a lot more fun to use than melee’s rotating sprites with generic straight flying projectiles. At least ranger’s straight flying projectiles do more than just “wow we pierce a couple enemies how original are we”

Melee’s swords are pretty boring, but Melee also has more to offer in variety than just swords. Melee manages to stay fresh by having more subclasses than any other class, and many weapons within those classes have completely unique abilities (ex. North Pole, Seedler). It also has a huge variety of weapons with unique abilities that don’t fit into a subclass, almost as many as Mage: Shadowflame Knife, Chain Guillotine, Vampire Knives, Scourge of the Corruptor, Solar Eruption and Daybreak to name a few.

I feel like a lot of the “melee boring” arguments I see come from the amount of clutter weapons melee has, which is true. Melee has a crapton of swords, almost every single one behaving the exact same and being just as useless, and the ones that are useful having the same abilities, with like three exceptions. But that doesn’t change anything about the uniqueness of weapons like Flairon or Horseman’s Blade.

I can't say that I have a least favorite Class, only because I like what each of them have to offer. Though I'm the most efficient with & prefer Summoner, there's quite a few instances that made me really appreciate the other Class Types. 🤔🥤
  • I learned to appreciate Melee Class via Adventure Maps & using the North Pole as a main weapon in PvP for 1.5 years. I also happen to like the Melee variant of the DD2 Classes the most; Squire & Valhalla Knight (oh yeah, & Yoyos are super fun!).
  • I learned to love the Mage Class, only because it was my first ever Class in Terraria. Once a player I was playing co-op with, gifted me with the Water Bolt spell, I was sold! I consider the Forbidden Set & Dark Artist Set to be Mage Class too... though it's obviously debatable.
  • Ranger speaks for itself, I love using the Star Cannon, the Sniper Rifle is just bonkers, especially in multiplayer. My second PvP alt was an Assassin who used stealth & obviously guns. Shotguns, especially against tanky foes, is always fun to use (Bone Glove adds spectacle)! I mean, there aren't many guns I dislike in Terraria. 🤔🥤
  • Summoner is my favorite & I'm sure I probably don't need to explain why at this point, I think everyone knows... 😅🤷‍♂️
To answer your question though, I guess I'll use "which Classes progression path do I like the least". I'd have to say Mage Class, it find it to be the least enjoyable, though the differences between it & Summoner are pretty insignificant, especially with the 1.4 updates.

Back
Top Bottom