Casual Unpopular Opinion Thread

Super Metroid is overrated
(not bad but I just don’t think it deserves to be held up as a holy grail of metroidvanias)

And the game holds up really well, however there are many things that can be improved, and it feels like some games don’t try to do that and just try to copy that same exact formula. The same applies to symphony of the knight

And the game holds up really well, however there are many things that can be improved, and it feels like some games don’t try to do that and just try to copy that same exact formula. The same applies to symphony of the knight
Wait, I'm confused, you feel like it could have done more even though it already had done so much that was new then? Is it that people keep saying it's perfection or something?

Gatekeeping is both efficient and important when it comes to preserving the integrity of websites. On the surface it might seem abrasive or even counter-productive to growth of your community, but one trend I've noticed from browsing the internet since the early 2000s is that quality of a community is inversely proportional to its traffic. I've seen too many websites have their quality of discourse completely dismantled because both the regular users and the moderators were too lenient with new users (who often arrived in droves), with these new users expecting the community to realign itself to be incredibly similar to the website they frequented prior, making no effort to integrate into the culture of the existing community. In that regard, it actually surprises me that these forums have been a generally smooth experience.

Gatekeeping is both efficient and important when it comes to preserving the integrity of websites. On the surface it might seem abrasive or even counter-productive to growth of your community, but one trend I've noticed from browsing the internet since the early 2000s is that quality of a community is inversely proportional to its traffic. I've seen too many websites have their quality of discourse completely dismantled because both the regular users and the moderators were too lenient with new users (who often arrived in droves), with these new users expecting the community to realign itself to be incredibly similar to the website they frequented prior, making no effort to integrate into the culture of the existing community. In that regard, it actually surprises me that these forums have been a generally smooth experience.
Never thought I’d agree with an angle that defends gatekeeping (unless gatekeeping doesn’t mean what I think it means).

Back
Top Bottom