tModLoader Unusacies' Battle Rods Mod - Use special fishing rods as weapons!

I found the bug, when using the either multi lures mod (from dark dragon) and multi lures from (abluescarab) they glitch with the lures of the mod, so better disable them to make them work properly.

I checked the code for both these mods, and it seems they use the same GlobalItem to override the Shoot function of Fishing Rods (including Battle Rods). It would not be easy (if not almost impossible) to make these mods compatible with our Lures. I have a tentative solution for the Omni Lure, where it would only allow 1 Bobber of that type to exist associated with the player (by erasing all other existing Bobbers if the Omnilure is equipped), but it would be a bit overkill.

Fun fact: The Bobbers cast by MultiLures will have the Rod's Base Damage (+ modifiers), so the rods would cause quite a bit of extra damage. This bug is also present with the Trawler Soul from Fargo's Mod, but there I consider it more of a feature than an actual bug.

I can (partially) correct this by changing how the damage per bobber is calculated, by moving it to the GetWeaponDamage fucntion, but that would also change how the Damage tooltip displays, showing instead the damage each current bobber will do. Would that be an accepted solution?

They might be referring to that usual bug where multi-lures don't work until you relog into the game for mysterious reasons.
By the way, how does the "fishToReplace" option in the config work? If I understood it correctly, the item IDs listed there (wooden crates and most normal fishes) have a chance to be replaced with crates when you fish?
Basically, when you fish an item, the mod checks if that item is one of those listed in "fishToReplace", and only then try and replace them with crates. This was done to prevent overriding potion material fishes and Iron and Golden crates, as well as quest fish. This list always existed, but was unchangeable before being added as a config option. To add new items to the list, use the "Bags of Holding" tooltip config option to check the TagID of that item (or any ID list for vanilla terraria items). This mod will not place crates over junk, so even if you add seaweed and tin cans to the list, they will not be replaced.

I have been waiting so long to post this dumb joke I drew while we were still working on this update

sF65IoK.png

I hope the spoiler works.

The recent update looks like a massive overall improvement to the mod's balance, and that's awesome.

Really digging the different bait effects and the nerfs on multilure crafting. Only major gripe I have left is the crate pet stacking with potion effects, otherwise only thing I can think of for improvement would be playing with exact values to perfect the rods' combat balance.

Hello, it seems that battle rods damage doesn't increase with rage mode in the Reveangence difficulty of Terraria. Is this a bug? I have no idea if I'm the only one who's experiencing it, but it's quite frustrating.

Hello, it seems that battle rods damage doesn't increase with rage mode in the Reveangence difficulty of Terraria. Is this a bug? I have no idea if I'm the only one who's experiencing it, but it's quite frustrating.
maybe its because calamity dosent know the battle rods mod, and they didnt code the rod damage for reveangence difficulty?.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm sure that's the problem. It just seemed like this mod had support for Calamity, as Calamity was mentioned in the wiki.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the problem. It just seemed like this mod had support for Calamity, as Calamity was mentioned in the wiki.

Hey Kylonith, I understand the confusion.
Battlerods was tested with Calamity on, yes, but JPAN and I, tested Battlerods with various mods at the same time for balance reasons more than anything else.

As an example of another mod working with Battlerods in a similar fashion just fine, the Sigils in Spirit Mod work with the rods pretty well. Without JPAN having programmed anything extra for it to work.
I dont really program, I am just the artist really, But I am pretty sure this has to do with how such features (or mechanics) are implemented by the mods that originate them.

Note: Its important to note that when JPAN started programming Battlerods, Calamity's Revengeance mode at the time only changed damage and health values and boss behaviour, the mechanics it now adds weren't even there back then.

Unusacies said:
Hey Kylonith, I understand the confusion.
Battlerods was tested with Calamity on, yes, but JPAN and I, tested Battlerods with various mods at the same time for balance reasons more than anything else.

As an example of another mod working with Battlerods in a similar fashion just fine, the Sigils in Spirit Mod work with the rods pretty well. Without JPAN having programmed anything extra for it to work.
I dont really program, I am just the artist really, But I am pretty sure this has to do with how such features (or mechanics) are implemented by the mods that originate them.

Note: Its important to note that when JPAN started programming Battlerods, Calamity's Revengeance mode at the time only changed damage and health values and boss behaviour, the mechanics it now adds weren't even there back then.

Thank you for the info. This mod is absolutely amazing! Great work on the art, by the way!

Last edited:

I did some checking on the code and it appears that, yes, rage mode does work with this mod. What happens is that bobbers get their damage at the time of casting and doesn't change it afterwards, regardless of the buffs. Think of it as minions (which rage mode does not affect). Minions don't reset their damage when equips that change summon damage are added or removed.

In order to apply rage mode (and adrenaline) to the rod, simply recast the rod while these buffs are active, and the damage buff is permanent there (which is a bit unbalanced, but that is how terraria works, so...)

JPAN said:
I did some checking on the code and it appears that, yes, rage mode does work with this mod. What happens is that bobbers get their damage at the time of casting and doesn't change it afterwards, regardless of the buffs. Think of it as minions (which rage mode does not affect). Minions don't reset their damage when equips that change summon damage are added or removed.

In order to apply rage mode (and adrenaline) to the rod, simply recast the rod while these buffs are active, and the damage buff is permanent there (which is a bit unbalanced, but that is how terraria works, so...)

Thank you so much! I was very confused, but this explanation is really helpful. Again, I have to say, this is a wonderful mod, and I appreciate the help.

Has anyone else noticed buggy fights when fighting calamity bosses with these rods? The profaned God for one is not getting attached to the lures.

Trying to fight with the battlerods underwater is very awkward. Are there plans to fix this?

ALSO, the Mana Shield Shaft is not working at all. Is there a special situation that activates the effect? I can sit there and take damage and my Mana never moves at all.

I also noticed during testing that "Mana Flower" doesn't kick in when using Mana Escalation Reel.

Last edited:
Hey, will respond to a few things:

To MadNinja:
So, Cooler can be spawned by placing an "icy worm" in a chest with nothing else on it but that, he is summoned much like any mimic, the icy worm is made from a worm and a bunch'a ice, I think its like 50 but the guide NPC can help you on that.

Last time JPAN tested Calamity with Battlerods the bosses worked fine with it. Profaned will however not allow you to even touch it if you are outside of its prefered fighting location... if I recall correctly. Though I can test to see if I can replicate the problem.

Battlerods underwater are sadly, from their core, very hard to use due to how fishing rods are naturally programmed in terraria. This effect is slightly mitigated by the existance of the "fishing knives", alongside with certain rods having effects while in, or under, water.
The Battlerods underwater are much akin to trying to use shorter and slower shortswords. Or like in real life trying to swing a fishing rod underwater really...

Jpan tells me, that the mana shield shaft naturally has a very low percentage, like 10%, of damage redirection, so it would be very hard to notice unless you had no mana regen at all and the damage you took was ridicolously high.

He also tells me that he chose to not program a counter to the "mana flower" issue because of how that would cause a gargantuan ammount of damage escalation over time. if you however still have calamity levels of mana regen it will probably work fine.

To LightBowser:
The issue with the Crate Pet's mysterious blood leaking has to do with how it was made. its no secret that it was just a reskin of the crimson heart pet with an added buff, and as a result the blood dusts still appear.
The only known solutions would be to rewrite the entire Pet's code, or I could just resprite the crate to have blood on it, which in my mind fixes the problem. but yeah its a known issue.

Have a good one everyone.

In regards to the underwater fishing issue, what about adding some sort of bobber weight accessory? You'd still suffer the decreased range due to being underwater (maybe to an even bigger effect due to the heavy bobber), but at least this way you'd be able to hit targets that are under you instead of only above.

Thanks to Unusacies and lightbowser for the replies. That clears up a lot. I love this mod, and I just find some things to be a bit weird sometimes. The Providence thing was my fault, I didn't know that he raged if u left his biome. I finally downed him though. The damage of the Rods are so nice, i guess the awkwardness kind of counter balances that. I do wish there was a way to make using rods underwater a bit more manageable though. Namesomething had a nice idea of a weighted bobber. But if that isn't possible to code, then it's not a big deal. Perhaps a rod that shoots projectiles when submerged? Btw, about how far is the range of the final fishing knife?

BTW, what do you guys consider to be the best Modifier for the Fractilite Rod and Rod of Containment? I've been testing the DPS out and it appears the Fractilite Rod outperforms the R.O.C by a good margin, eventhough on paper it should be the other way around?

BTW, what do you guys consider to be the best Modifier for the Fractilite Rod and Rod of Containment? I've been testing the DPS out and it appears the Fractilite Rod outperforms the R.O.C by a good margin, eventhough on paper it should be the other way around?
i would say it heavily depends on what you want to use each for. the area of effect of the Rod Containment Unit is big, the damage ticks are faster, and the base damage itself is definitely higher, so its nice against masses or multisection bosses. the fractalite with its effects also is nice, but the area effect is smaller and weaker iirc, and the bullets are chlorophyte so they may home in, but hit only once. it is probably better than the RCU when it comes to single kills like maybe moonlord

Back
Top Bottom