tModLoader Unusacies' Battle Rods Mod - Use special fishing rods as weapons!

So, lemme quickly inform you all of a few things, nothing negative, just some updates on the Devs lives.

Specifically, JPAN having a job now makes so his mods in general should take a bit longer to update (I am aware of the slowness of this one to update so keep that in mind).
Me personally I just take time in general doing things, programming however is mostly up to JPAN as I am terrified of programming. that in itself gave rise to the bunch of new crates that were introduced which JPAN allowed me to make (critter crate, wing crate, etc...)
With JPAN having work now updating the wiki has not been possible so far and technically was handed to me, but the wiki kind of requires a massive overhaul and I have not had the willpower to attempt it yet. (this answers @lightbowser1 's question hopefully)

Now to answer a few questions, and apologies for the delay on that:
Also, could we potentially have Post-ML rods for Calamity? Like being able to get Auric Crates that contain a minuscule amount of Auric Tesla Bar mats.
We have thought about it, but compatibility with other mods was originally kind of a secondary thing, not really super in mind. we have thought about calamity integration due to the amount of post Moonlord content but that has not happened yet.

Can the Rod Containment Unit catch Luminite Crates?
Having spoken with JPAN it should be able to, it should be able to catch all crates. though its more efficient to use the respective material rod to get that material.

How do you get Critter Crates?
From my memory (and it may be faulty as I don't really have the code to check) they should be acquired by fishing in the forest biome. but its either a late game crate or one of those very rare crates... would have to check really.

Edit: JPAN tells me its actually by fishing with a peace candle nearby, would not have figured it out myself will be real.

Not sure if this is a bug or an intended feature but fishing now seems to duplicate fished items. I've included images of the results of a single bob cast from a platinum battle rod, equipped armour and accessories (although removing them has no effect) and a list of all enabled mods. Example shows 2 bass being caught but I have also witnessed crates and other fish behaving in a similar manner. Edit: Disabling all other mods has no effect. Fish and crates still duplicate.View attachment 234113View attachment 234114View attachment 234115

While a fun effect I don't really think that was intended, I will talk to JPAN about this and see what he can do.

Edit: informed JPAN, he will look into it when he can.

Thank you all for being around, until next time cya.

Last edited:
I was wondering if it was possible to add support for the leveled mod. Currently, the leveled mod doesn't register the damage you do with the battle rods and it doesn't give you any experience when you kill an enemy.

I feel like it would be cool if you gave some love to the nebula battle rod and maybe nerf the solar one to try to make all the moon-lord rods feel equally powerful but be suited for different purposes (Nebula could get mana drain, Stardust already spawns minions and Vortex already shoots bullets)

Not sure if this is a bug or an intended feature but fishing now seems to duplicate fished items. I've included images of the results of a single bob cast from a platinum battle rod, equipped armour and accessories (although removing them has no effect) and a list of all enabled mods. Example shows 2 bass being caught but I have also witnessed crates and other fish behaving in a similar manner. Edit: Disabling all other mods has no effect. Fish and crates still duplicate.View attachment 234113View attachment 234114View attachment 234115
Took me a while to finally see why this bug was happening, and it turns out Modloader always calls the VanillaAI function, which I was also calling myself.
Fixed in the 1.3.1.2 version.

The Fish Slicer is glitched. It makes the bobber disappear as soon as you catch something (and you get no loot)

My game has run out of memory twice in the past few days while I was fighting bosses despite the mods menu saying I have at least 1 GB of RAM free (and that's after loading a world then going back to the main menu). This time I remembered to check the logs, and there I found this part:
[tML]: Silently Caught Exception:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Array.Resize[T](T[]& array, Int32 newSize)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.InternalDraw(Texture2D texture, Vector4& destination, Boolean scaleDestination, Nullable`1& sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2& origin, SpriteEffects effects, Single depth)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Draw(Texture2D texture, Vector2 position, Nullable`1 sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2 origin, Single scale, SpriteEffects effects, Single layerDepth)
at UnuBattleRods.Projectiles.Bobbers.Bobber.PreDrawExtras(SpriteBatch spriteBatch)
at Terraria.ModLoader.ProjectileLoader.PreDrawExtras(Projectile projectile, SpriteBatch spriteBatch)
at Terraria.Main.DrawProj(Int32 i)
at Terraria.Main.DrawProjectiles()
at Terraria.Main.DoDraw(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame_()
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)
I don't know is this mod is the sole culprit (especially since I'm currently running a moderately large mod pack), but since its name in particular was mentioned in the crash log I thought it would be a good idea to report this here.

Just a small bugfix release. All it does is make the BattleRods never AutoSwing, regardless of what other mods try to do to them. I made this fix because the autoswing, applied from some mod I don't know which, broke the throwing of the bobbers (they kept being pulled back), breaking the mod. You can still do that effect by trying to cast with Right Mouse click.

V 1.3.1.4 Changelog
- Made Battlerods not auto swing by forcing autoReuse to false in every player update.

I have an idea for a new fishing class weapon type. Bait, which makes different sea creatures attack enemies where you click

This mod is perfect and has next to no problems. The only problem is lack of cobweb. Idea: spider battle-rod. It’s made with spider fangs and would be a part of the lifeforce battlerod Maybe.Would give you the ability to get webbed crates. The webbed crates give web slinger and cobweb. There, problem solved.

edit: web crate drops and crafting

edit 2: wait, did you add it?

Last edited:
V 1.3.2 Update
It's not really a content update, more of a compatibility update. I used the opportunity that I needed an "Example Mod" for Rare Item Swap's new ModCall API, and I was planning to add support to Battlerods to the mod eventually, and joined them both, allowing for Battlerods to be used as an example of the ModCall API. So the Changelog is:
- Added compatibility with Rare Item Swap, allowing you to use Parts to get the rare drop items from this mod, including:
- The Dungeon Battlerod (which with mods that add dungeon content is a pain to find) Bee and Fishron Battlerods with their respective boss Parts;
- All crates can be swapped by-from Parts.
- Fish Steaks can be swapped for Fish Steak Parts, which allows you to buy Fish Lady's gear in the Part Shop
- Cooler Boss Part and respective Bag/weapon swaps.
- Also, to show how to use the drop tables from Rare Item Swap, if both mods are installed and you kill an enemy with a Battlerod, you have a (low) chance to get a Fishing Part.

EDIT: V 1.3.2.1 only fixes Goblin Army parts being misnamed, resulting in no Goblin crate in the Rare Item Swap mod. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Hey JPAN I love the mod so far and everything works great. My favorite part is dragging enemies or bosses into my friends during a fight. I find it so funny to the enemy dragged toward me and bring it to a friend. The only thing I could ask for is an update to the wiki as it seems to be a little outdated. The things I’ve noticed is the crate list being incomplete and info about the npc. Apart from that this is one of the most fun mods I’ve ever played keep up the good work.

V 1.3.2.2 Changelog
- Fixed many bugs, big and small, from compatibility with Leveled mod (you now earn xp from battlerod kills), some related problems (client-side kills sometimes did not register in server and vice-versa) and some parts misnamed causing the goblin crate not to be part-obtainable.
- Cooler can now be summoned by using an Icy Worm, as some mods break the chest summon mechanic (couldn't find out which), and cooler boss kill should now correctly display in Boss Checklist.
- Honestly, I fixed a lot more such as networking errors, but I did that while testing and fixing 4 mods, so I can't remember all the changes...

such a cool mod, and its still being updated after all these years! would 100% recommend using this mod in every playthrough, even if you're not using the class, the utility of the fishing rods actually makes fishing fun! :)

hello, when i try to craft the vacation armor set but it doesnt appear on the crafting menu, neither on recipe browser, i double checked the materials too, is this a bug?

Back
Top Bottom