Items [updated sprites] Luck Potion

What do you think?

• I like the sprites but not the idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like any of it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello Terrarians. Molos here with an old suggestion. I made this one back on TO, and now I'm bringing it here.

The luck potion
Luck Potion bigger.png
Luck Potion.png

Crafting:
Moonglow.png
x2
Blinkroot.png
x5
Waterleaf.png
x3
Fireblossom.png
x2
Spelunker_Potion.png
x1
Gold_Ore.png
x5

Buff icon
Luck Buff Icon bigger.png
Luck Buff Icon.png
(yes that's supposed to be a shamrock)
This potion doubles the droprate of all items except items that have a 100% droprate (coins and stuff like that), and has a duration of 15 minutes.

And that's it. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Hello Terrarians. Molos here with an old suggestion. I made this one back on TO, and now I'm bringing it here.

The luck potion
View attachment 27223 View attachment 27224

Crafting:
Moonglow.png
x2
Blinkroot.png
x5
Waterleaf.png
x3
Fireblossom.png
x2
Spelunker_Potion.png
x1
Gold_Ore.png
x5

Buff icon
View attachment 27225 View attachment 27226 (yes that's supposed to be a shamrock)
This potion doubles the droprate of all items except items that have a 100% droprate (coins and stuff like that), and has a duration of 5 minutes.

I love this idea, always have. I really like the buff icon. May I use it in Avalon? Since I've already got the Luck Potion working there and stuff. Right now the buff icon is the Midas debuff icon with a blue background xD. This is my current sprite for the Luck Potion:
Item_2778.png

Items that drop from bosses at a guaranteed rate should also be unaffected (as in Duke Fishron where you are guaranteed for 1 of his items). Personally, I think it should be more difficult to craft or last shorter to balance the potential this item has to remove all rarity from some items.

As someone who uses Luck Potions in Terraria Avalon a lot, I can say that having them in vanilla would be amazing.

I see there has been some skepticism on the idea, so let me say some things from my own experiences while using Avalon's equivalent:
  • Doubling the drop rate on some thing actually isn't as big of a deal as you might think. In a lot of cases the drop rates are still stupidly low.
  • Even with the half an hour duration it has in Exxo Avalon, depending on what you're trying to get you're likely to still need multiple potions to get what you want.
  • In the end the Luck Potion merely makes grinding for some items less painful, at the cost of hitting your herb stores kinda hard. (To be honest, the recipes he's proposing is even harder than the one in Exxo Avalon, which I think is pretty fair.)
  • This one lasts 5 minutes. To be honest, that's not actually very good, all things considered, so it hits your resources even harder because in a lot of cases you're going to need multiples.
  • Let's take an example from one of the most notoriously rare items in the entire game, the Key Molds. They have a 1 in 2500 chance to drop. With the Luck Potion, that becomes 1 in 1250. Those numbers are .04% and .08%, respectively. A really low chance that's doubled is still a really low chance. In this case it'd save you maybe 1250 kills, if you're lucky; if you're unlucky, you might've been slated to get the mold on your next kill regardless of whether or not you actually use the potion. (By contrast, any item with a 50% or more drop rate instantly drops 100% of the time. No, examples like my Essence Shards would NOT result in a 180% drop rate, sorry; it'd cap out at 100%. Now, a potion to double the drop quantity of variable quantity drops...)
In the end the potion lessens the RNG abuse, but does not fix it by any means. Drinking the Luck Potion will not instantly get you drops out the :red:- that's not how it works.

As someone who uses Luck Potions in Terraria Avalon a lot, I can say that having them in vanilla would be amazing.

I see there has been some skepticism on the idea, so let me say some things from my own experiences while using Avalon's equivalent:
  • Doubling the drop rate on some thing actually isn't as big of a deal as you might think. In a lot of cases the drop rates are still stupidly low.
  • Even with the half an hour duration it has in Exxo Avalon, depending on what you're trying to get you're likely to still need multiple potions to get what you want.
  • In the end the Luck Potion merely makes grinding for some items less painful, at the cost of hitting your herb stores kinda hard. (To be honest, the recipes he's proposing is even harder than the one in Exxo Avalon, which I think is pretty fair.)
  • This one lasts 5 minutes. To be honest, that's not actually very good, all things considered, so it hits your resources even harder because in a lot of cases you're going to need multiples.
  • Let's take an example from one of the most notoriously rare items in the entire game, the Key Molds. They have a 1 in 2500 chance to drop. With the Luck Potion, that becomes 1 in 1250. Those numbers are .04% and .08%, respectively. A really low chance that's doubled is still a really low chance. In this case it'd save you maybe 1250 kills, if you're lucky; if you're unlucky, you might've been slated to get the mold on your next kill regardless of whether or not you actually use the potion. (By contrast, any item with a 50% or more drop rate instantly drops 100% of the time. No, examples like my Essence Shards would NOT result in a 180% drop rate, sorry; it'd cap out at 100%. Now, a potion to double the drop quantity of variable quantity drops...)
In the end the potion lessens the RNG abuse, but does not fix it by any means. Drinking the Luck Potion will not instantly get you drops out the :red:- that's not how it works.
That's an excellent point.png

What do you suggest I raise it too then? It could square the drop rate, but that only raises a .4% to .16%...hmm...what does the one in Exxo Avalon do?

What do you suggest I raise it too then? It could square the drop rate, but that only raises a .4% to .16%...hmm...what does the one in Exxo Avalon do?
Squaring a number less than 1 - i.e. all percentages less than 100 - results in a lower number, not a higher one. That is to say, squaring the 1/2500 droprate of Key Molds would change it to 1/6250000. I don't think that's the intended result. You'd want to do a square root, which would change 1/2500 droprate to 1/500. It would additionally change the drop of Blindfolds from 1/100 to 1/10.

Besides that, you could have a flat increase of x%. I'm not terribly versed in probability as a game mechanic, so I don't know what problems that brings up. Alternatively, you could lower the chance it doesn't drop by whatever. Dropping it by half would be OP, as that would give you a 50.2% chance of a Key Mold dropping. Honestly, I think that doubling the droprate is perfectly fine, because rare drops are supposed to be rare.

View attachment 31314

The exact same thing, although it also adds additional spawn rate for mobs and lasts half an hour.

Ultimately I think the way it works currently is fine, minus that and the 30 minute duration I mentioned that the Exxo Avalon version has; ultimately it does not eliminate RNG by any means, but it does make things a bit less painful. As Scironex said, doubling is fine, because the rare drops are still rare.

View attachment 31314

As pointed out by Scironex, I think you meant square root, rather than squaring it. A 1/100 chance would become 1/10, which is decidedly 10 times better. A 1/2500 will become 1/50, 50 times the drop rate. I think... That is indeed a bit extreme. Double or triple is at best, I think.

The luck potions in the OP are currently balanced, doing anything else than multiplying the drop rate by 2 results in either overpowered or underpowered stuff.
Mostly because square root greatly increases the drop rate for rare items but doesn't do much to more common ones (actually, by common i mean those who are over 25%), you'd get a stupid amount of slime staffs in no time, for example.
Also, adding a constant to the droprate is bad. Let's say the luck potion added 1% more droprate on everything.
That does next to nothing on things with a 10% probability, but it raises rare items' droprate tremendously, from, let's say 1/2500 to 26/2500. That's over 1%. Basically, any item would have over 1% chance to drop.

Maybe the luck potion should also increase the number of common items dropped? (If gel has a 100% chance to drop 1-2 it should have 100% chance to drop 2-4, with the buff).

The luck potion
View attachment 27223 View attachment 27224

Crafting:
Moonglow.png
x2
Blinkroot.png
x5
Waterleaf.png
x3
Fireblossom.png
x2
Spelunker_Potion.png
x1
Gold_Ore.png
x5

Buff icon
View attachment 27225 View attachment 27226 (yes that's supposed to be a shamrock)
This potion doubles the droprate of all items except items that have a 100% droprate (coins and stuff like that), and has a duration of 15 minutes.

YES this idea is amazing. Makes farming so much easier

Back
Top Bottom