Weapons & Equip Upgrading pre-hardmode weapons to work in hardmode

Hammerhead

Terrarian
I want there to be a way that you can improve pre-hardmode weapons so that they aren't completely useless in hardmode (aside from vanity purposes).

Something that has often bothered me in Terraria is the fact that some weapons become obsolete so quickly that I've never actually used them. My biggest example would be the weapons that the Bee Queen drops. I can't count the number of times when I've killed the Bee Queen and then immediately sold everything she'd given me because it's all obsolete at the point I was at. Another example is the zombie arm-weapon that is probably the weapon that becomes obsolete the absolute fastest in all of Terraria (aside from the copper shortsword that becomes obsolete the moment you start the game :D).

And I think this is a shame, because I think there are a lot of weapons in Terraria that have fun designs and are interesting, but are let down by the fact that they are only useful for a very short time-period, and after that they're practically useless.

So, my suggestions are to either:
Upgrade them by simply improving their stats to fit hardmode (for example: Upgrading the Zombie Arm, making the Zombie Arm bigger in size, +30 damage, increase knockback and crit.chance etc.)
You might do this by paying some NPC (like reforging stuff with the goblin tinkerer).
or
Do the same thing as with turning the Handgun into the Phoenix blaster, or the Minishark into the Megashark (for example: Combining the Zombie arm with 15 souls of fright, 15 souls of night and 50 obsidian to turn create something like "King Zombie Arm", with much better stats befitting hardmode.

The first suggestion would be the easiest to implement into the game, since you don't change the weapon's appearance, name or basic functions. You only improve the stats, no recipe required.
The second suggestion would be a lot more fun to have in the game, since it involves a greater number of weapons being added to the game, more recipes to use the materials you always stock up on, and it involves crafting already existing equipment into much better equipment (which is always fun). It requires a lot of work though.

I think a good idea is to have an NPC that allows you to add stats to your weapons for certain collectables. This means you can have your best weapon be a Wooden Sword (It'd cost less just to replace the swords)

I actually very much like this. There are too many weapons I wish I could keep in HM but are too underpowered in HM.

Just imagine it. HM WATER BOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a good idea is to have an NPC that allows you to add stats to your weapons for certain collectables. This means you can have your best weapon be a Wooden Sword (It'd cost less just to replace the swords)
Do you mean giving that NPC materials to improve the stats on your weapons (for example: I give the NPC a specific material and he'll increase the base stats on my weapon), or do you mean giving him/her money to improve it (like the goblin tinkerer when you reforge weapons and stuff)? What do you mean by "collectables"?

I actually very much like this. There are too many weapons I wish I could keep in HM but are too underpowered in HM.

Just imagine it. HM WATER BOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly, or fighting Duke Fishron with a trident and actually having a chance. :dryadgrin:

Back
Top Bottom