Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sort of

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
So I was thinking about how pets are sort of useless (other than looking way cool) as far as utility goes. Following that train of thought, I realized that they could in fact be given uses, just not in the way most people think. So, without further ado, here's my suggestion!
(Sorry about that)

First off, let me clarify how this will work: when you put the pet into an accessory slot, it will summon the pet like normal, but now it will be able to do things. For example, some pets would simply attack enemies, some help with certain things, and some will have completely unorthodox abilities. (By the way, if anyone knows how to put a table into a thread, mind teaching me?)
Note that I am putting the name of the item, not the pet.

Unlucky Yarn: The black cat will sometimes inflict random debuffs on enemies, with minor ones being much more common. Most last around 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
Parrot Cracker: Parrot occasionally picks up items for you.
Sapling: If it spots a strange plant, it will go to it and light up. Once off screen it will come back to you.
Spider Egg: Occasionally Webs enemies.
Zephyr Fish: Gives you a 15% fishing boost.
Amber Mosquito: Attacks enemies for ~20 DPS.
Tartar Sauce: Dashes at enemies, causing high knockback.

And that's all I can think of right now. If you have any ideas, post them in the comments. I'll probably add more later.

Pets are cosmetic minions. Their purposes are entirely aesthetic, which means that they can be reliably assigned either a low drop rate (Amber Mosquito, Zephyr Fish), a high price (Parrot Cracker, Strange Glowing Mushroom) or in the case of a Bone Key, going the extra mile.

I'm all in for minions that debuff rather than deal damage, but that should be reserved for new minions. Just leave pets as they are.

Pets are cosmetic minions. Their purposes are entirely aesthetic, which means that they can be reliably assigned either a low drop rate (Amber Mosquito, Zephyr Fish), a high price (Parrot Cracker, Strange Glowing Mushroom) or in the case of a Bone Key, going the extra mile.

I'm all in for minions that debuff rather than deal damage, but that should be reserved for new minions. Just leave pets as they are.
I was more just bored than anything when I made this. Pretty much the only validation I made was having to put it in an accessory slot. All in all, not my best suggestion.

Some pets, actually have a use. Some give off a bit of light (strange truffle), some do damage (brain, beeswax, Werewolf Tooth) and some do other effects. Most pets, do nothing to assist you which is a shame as I would like to use them... but I don't as I am more in favor with the 'useful' pets that already exist.

And that's all I can think of right now. If you have any ideas, post them in the comments. I'll probably add more later.
Nectar: Shoots at enemies at a slower rate and less damage than the hornet staff. Inflicts poison.
Eater's Bone: Points to deathweed.
Bone Rattle: Increases players life regeneration by 2 per second.
Skeleton Key: Increases players defense by 3.
Seaweed: Allows the player to breath underwater for longer.
Fish: Shortens the time chilled and frozen lasts.
Tiki Spirit: Very slight chance to consume a hit directed at you.
Eyeball spring: Occasionally attacks enemies with eye laser.
Magical Pumpkin Seed: Gives off light.
Dog Whistle: Helps find enemies off screen.
Lizard Egg: Decreases damage inflicted by jungle/lizard enemies by 5%.
Toy Sled: Decreases damage inflicted by cold enemies by 5%.
Carrot: Decreases fall damage.
Cursed Sapling: Occasionally drops acorns.

Some pets, actually have a use. Some give off a bit of light (strange truffle), some do damage (brain, beeswax, Werewolf Tooth) and some do other effects. Most pets, do nothing to assist you which is a shame as I would like to use them... but I don't as I am more in favor with the 'useful' pets that already exist.

Nectar: Shoots at enemies at a slower rate and less damage than the hornet staff. Inflicts poison.
Eater's Bone: Points to deathweed.
Bone Rattle: Increases players life regeneration by 2 per second.
Skeleton Key: Increases players defense by 3.
Seaweed: Allows the player to breath underwater for longer.
Fish: Shortens the time chilled and frozen lasts.
Tiki Spirit: Very slight chance to consume a hit directed at you.
Eyeball spring: Occasionally attacks enemies with eye laser.
Magical Pumpkin Seed: Gives off light.
Dog Whistle: Helps find enemies off screen.
Lizard Egg: Decreases damage inflicted by jungle/lizard enemies by 5%.
Toy Sled: Decreases damage inflicted by cold enemies by 5%.
Carrot: Decreases fall damage.
Cursed Sapling: Occasionally drops acorns.
These are kind of what I was thinking. Unfortunately, all the pets that do damage are not on PC, which is the only version I play. I enjoy passive boosts that don't make considerable changes, but are useful and sometimes fun.

Back
Top Bottom