tModLoader Vampire Knives Expanded

Overhauled crafting system? (Please select two 1 or 2, if you select 2 please choose one out of 3-6)

• A few more crafting stations and just a few intermediate items.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leeseulbi

Terrarian
NOTE: I have picked this mod back up for the foreseeable future, I have no clue how long I'll be working on this, but for now, I'm here and hoping to push updates when I can :)

90ed53a3-6044-11e8-a39e-8331551caa76.gif

(I'll do an actual logo at some point :p)

What does this add?
Vampire Knives Extended adds many new knives and vampire-based accessories into the game. You'll want a recipe browser. Feel free to join the Discord to give bug reports and suggestions ^_^

Also, there is optional compatibility (included in the mod) with calamity mod that adds 6 new knives to the game that *should* scale well.
Thank you to Boio Boio for his review here:

Thank you to GameRaider101 for his review here:

Thank you to David Chattaway for his review here:

I'm super honored to announce a partnership with BisectHosting! If you're looking for powerful and reliable servers, which can be very useful for mods like this, then I'd definitely suggest giving them a try! You can use code "vke" at checkout or click on the banner at the bottom of this page! This code works for all servers not just Terraria servers in case you wanted to support the mod while trying out the service with a different game!

Download(CHECK MOD BROWSER):
Link to Open-Source for mod: GitHub - Parksinjunn/VKE

Official Discord Server(For suggestions, chatting, bug reports, and changelogs):
Join the Vampire Knives Expanded Discord Server!

Official Wiki (Based on 1.3 version, lots of content still being ported to 1.4): Vampire knives Expanded Official Wiki

1653508205073.png

Last edited:
Why your vampire knives have magic damage??? They should be melee.
It was a personal choice as I added in mana cost (at least I think I did :p) to balance them a little bit. Obviously this is counteracted by the existence of mana knives, but they have the cost of less dps as well. Either way, I figured knives with mana cost should do magic rather than melee damage. I get that this will mess up builds and all that, but these knives are purely for fun and not for serious gameplay. If you would like to change this feel free to make a patch for them, also if I missed adding mana cost to any of them other than mana knives and knives infused with mana, please do let me know. As I said, I haven't picked this mod up in a year and I can't remember where I left off. I also don't have time to go through each file at the moment, and uploaded this mod purely for my friends, but figured I should at least put it out there.
That said, thank you for the input and I recognize the differences I have created with this mod, but please respect my choices.
Thank you ^_^

It was a personal choice as I added in mana cost (at least I think I did :p) to balance them a little bit. Obviously this is counteracted by the existence of mana knives, but they have the cost of less dps as well. Either way, I figured knives with mana cost should do magic rather than melee damage. I get that this will mess up builds and all that, but these knives are purely for fun and not for serious gameplay. If you would like to change this feel free to make a patch for them, also if I missed adding mana cost to any of them other than mana knives and knives infused with mana, please do let me know. As I said, I haven't picked this mod up in a year and I can't remember where I left off. I also don't have time to go through each file at the moment, and uploaded this mod purely for my friends, but figured I should at least put it out there.
That said, thank you for the input and I recognize the differences I have created with this mod, but please respect my choices.
Thank you ^_^
The sad thing is that I wanted to use them in melee challenge.

Gotcha, hmmm... if I get the time I can quickly rewrite them to be melee assuming visual studios has a mass replace tool, which I think it does. I'll try to get an update out in the next few days~! I'll post both the melee and magic knives as separate mods on the mod browser to suit multiple playstyles and I'll post a manual DL link here. I'll let you know when the update comes out~! :happy:

seems like a mod im gonna have to try out at some point, depending on how well the progression works with it i might do a "knives only run" (only using the tiers of vampire knives throughout the whole game)

Sorry it took so long, massive storms hit and lost power. New Update just released in the mod browser and on here, it had to be renamed VKE Melee Edition due to length requirements in the mod browser. Let me know if I missed anything.

seems like a mod im gonna have to try out at some point, depending on how well the progression works with it i might do a "knives only run" (only using the tiers of vampire knives throughout the whole game)
I hope they do scale well, you'd have to farm a bit in the crimson to get the weak vampire knives, but that'd get you through most places. Also bee knives are OP. I may add some support for corruption worlds later if I get the time and all that, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will come and pick this up if they deem it worthy.

Cant deny that bee knives seem a little over powered....
Yeah, I spent long nights trying to find out how to make the knives spawn a single bee that attacked a target, but the best I got was a bee that stood still. So I gave up and made the bee knives more of a joke kinda thing rather than what I wanted them to be, though they don't really scale well since the bees don't take the damage of the weapon, but rather the unchangeable damage of the beenade. I dunno, I might decompile terraria's code to understand the beenade code and what I'm missing, but that's definitely not a promise :p

Please let me know if you find anything that doesn't have a mana cost or that is seemingly overpowered~!

Yeah, I spent long nights trying to find out how to make the knives spawn a single bee that attacked a target, but the best I got was a bee that stood still. So I gave up and made the bee knives more of a joke kinda thing rather than what I wanted them to be, though they don't really scale well since the bees don't take the damage of the weapon, but rather the unchangeable damage of the beenade. I dunno, I might decompile terraria's code to understand the beenade code and what I'm missing, but that's definitely not a promise :p

Please let me know if you find anything that doesn't have a mana cost or that is seemingly overpowered~!

Mmk

I love this mod so much! The only two things I can suggest is melee varients or throwing varients like somebody said before me and...

Poison throwing knives! Please, if you can I mean. I already created a sprite for it but you can change it up or use it as you wish :). You don't need to credit me for it either.

Possibly also Spectre knives would be neat... The possibilities are endless! I think it would be awesome if Spectre knives could create homing ghosts on hit or something like that... I hope this mod continues to grow!

Attachments

• Poisoned_Throwing_Knives_4.png
    Poisoned_Throwing_Knives_4.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
I love this mod so much! The only two things I can suggest is melee varients or throwing varients like somebody said before me and...

Poison throwing knives! Please, if you can I mean. I already created a sprite for it but you can change it up or use it as you wish :). You don't need to credit me for it either.

Possibly also Spectre knives would be neat... The possibilities are endless! I think it would be awesome if Spectre knives could create homing ghosts on hit or something like that... I hope this mod continues to grow!

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the sprite~! I love the spritework, I might make it animated(w/ little poison drips and stuff), but otherwise I'm glad you went away from the original knife template that I had been working with! (I'm not a spriter at all) I'll work on putting it in asap.

In the meantime, if you do want something that does poison damage, the wasp knives give 10 seconds of poison, and the plague-bringer knives[needs calamity] give plague, which is an improved version of poison exclusive to calamity.

You could also go the infusion route, which I know I haven't put much info on yet since I'm working on making it more immersive and fun, but at the moment if you take bee knives, vampire knives, luminite knives or any of their mana variants (Working on support for the rest) you can infuse them with venom or poison for just 15 flasks of each respective type at an infusion station.

I'm gonna work on making the knives inflict a different than vanilla buff since there are so many NPC's that are immune to the original poison buff(list here https://terraria.wiki.gg/Poisoned), but that'll take a bit of time to make it balanced.

Moving on to the spectre knives idea, I love it, do you mean knives that use the original spectre armor buff projectile (The white projectiles that come back to you, or do you mean it sends out a ghost on hit that will follow an enemy and do constant damage(similar to how bees from the bee gun work)??

Feel free to join the discord to give occasional suggestions and things you want, I'm in kind of an idea slump so I'm always open to fresh new ideas~! I also don't want to make my crafting systems tooooo crazy to the point where people find it annoying (I play a lot of factorio which has very complex yet rewarding crafting systems.).

Anyhoo, I've blabbered on for too long xD
Sincerely,
-Junsu

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the sprite~! I love the spritework, I might make it animated(w/ little poison drips and stuff), but otherwise I'm glad you went away from the original knife template that I had been working with! (I'm not a spriter at all) I'll work on putting it in asap.

In the meantime, if you do want something that does poison damage, the wasp knives give 10 seconds of poison, and the plague-bringer knives[needs calamity] give plague, which is an improved version of poison exclusive to calamity.

You could also go the infusion route, which I know I haven't put much info on yet since I'm working on making it more immersive and fun, but at the moment if you take bee knives, vampire knives, luminite knives or any of their mana variants (Working on support for the rest) you can infuse them with venom or poison for just 15 flasks of each respective type at an infusion station.

I'm gonna work on making the knives inflict a different than vanilla buff since there are so many NPC's that are immune to the original poison buff(list here https://terraria.wiki.gg/Poisoned), but that'll take a bit of time to make it balanced.

Moving on to the spectre knives idea, I love it, do you mean knives that use the original spectre armor buff projectile (The white projectiles that come back to you, or do you mean it sends out a ghost on hit that will follow an enemy and do constant damage(similar to how bees from the bee gun work)??

Feel free to join the discord to give occasional suggestions and things you want, I'm in kind of an idea slump so I'm always open to fresh new ideas~! I also don't want to make my crafting systems tooooo crazy to the point where people find it annoying (I play a lot of factorio which has very complex yet rewarding crafting systems.).

Anyhoo, I've blabbered on for too long xD
Sincerely,
-Junsu
Thanks for your response! I'll definitely join that discord after work today! I was thinking for the Spectre knives the same mechanic as the damage Spectre armor like you mentioned because I think it would be a sight to the eyes to combine both together if they stacked haha.

You're honestly making the mod that I wanted to make a while back but got swamped with everything going on. I have so many ideas and suggestions for you and I would gladly try spriting for you too but I can't promise the best sprites since I'm still learning.

hey i loved your work, i from brazil but i love all mods from terraria but your is very cool have a cool weapons iam re-spirted from your luminiti knifes.

upload_2018-5-25_16-59-0.png

hey i loved your work, i from brazil but i love all mods from terraria but your is very cool have a cool weapons iam re-spirted from your luminiti knifes.

View attachment 201310
Thank you so much for the sprite~! I'll get it in for the next update! (should be coming within the next week, got work all day over the weekend sadly T.T). Any possibility that I could get the original file? It's colors got messed up when you uploaded it here. Any idea as to what you'd like it to be, or do I have free range with it?? (Either one is fine)

Last edited:
i used colors of bar and colors of fragment
Thank you so much for the sprite~! I'll get it in for the next update! (should be coming within the next week, got work all day over the weekend sadly T.T). Any possibility that I could get the original file? It's colors got messed up when you uploaded it here. Any idea as to what you'd like it to be, or do I have free range with it?? (Either one is fine)

Okay, I see a huge flaw. You can get the Vampire Knives too early. I know, it needs a hell lot of Crimson farming, but if you are patient, you can get them.

Maybe greatly reduce the stuff needed to craft them and add a "Living Matter" which would be dropped by Plantera.

i used colors of bar and colors of fragment
I know that it was originally made as a replacement for the luminite knives that we had, but I already had the one that just came out in the update in the works, so we decided to use your sprite as a special event knife. At the moment it is unobtainable, in the quick patch I'm putting out today it will be added in as a rare drop from tesla coils. It fires lightning projectiles that emit a chain lightning effect of a 360 circle upon hitting a target.

I hope you don't mind the changes I made to it, but we felt the color palette that you used was just so beautiful and perfect for martian madness that we had to incorporate it there. Thank you again!

Okay, I see a huge flaw. You can get the Vampire Knives too early. I know, it needs a hell lot of Crimson farming, but if you are patient, you can get them.

Maybe greatly reduce the stuff needed to craft them and add a "Living Matter" which would be dropped by Plantera.
Omg thank you so much for pointing this out, that was left over from back when I originally started the mod last year and I definitely did not mean for it to still be there with the way I've changed up the recipe for the weak vamp knives. Thank you for pointing that out, the recipe shouldn't of even existed. I do have plans to incorporate a way to upgrade the lesser knives into the better knives, but definitely did not mean for it to be that easy :p Releasing a quick patch in a sec in which I fixed that and a few other things.

This seems like a great mod. I'm already playing with it in my modpack; however, there's something that annoys me a bit - the casting system. I'm fine with the hammer and all, but the fact that you have to use iron/lead ore, not bars, is actually very annoying to someone like me - I keep smelting the ore into bars beforehand. Maybe you could add an alternate recipe using something that uses bars? I don't know, just a suggestion.
Also, your Luminite Knives seem a bit weird because of the strange recolor, so I thought I might take the liberty of spriting one myself and posting it. If you don't use it, that's fine, and if you do use it, or take the idea from the sprite I made, there's no need to credit me.
In any case, this is a really good mod; since it was released just a couple weeks ago, its no wonder I didn't find this before.
I've made two sprites: the first one included colors from all four pillars; after I figured out that it needed only vortex fragments, I changed it to just vortex. Possibly you could add these in as knives that use only fragments, and are weaker than the post-ml knives- kinda like the difference between the vortex beater and the SDMG.

Attachments

• Vampire_Knives_All_Fragments.png
    Vampire_Knives_All_Fragments.png
    535 bytes · Views: 496
  • Vampire_Knives_Vortex_Only.png
    Vampire_Knives_Vortex_Only.png
    502 bytes · Views: 458
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom