tAPI Vanilla Save Converter

Chicken Bones

Developer
Re-Logic
tModLoader
Hey guys, it's Chicken Bones here, and I'm just starting to look around modding Terraria, because that game is my jam.

Save Converter (tAPI r14 and below)
Download
Just put it in the Mods/Local folder, boot up tAPI and enable it.
Now you can put vanilla character and world saves in your tAPI/Players and /Worlds folders, and whenever mods are loaded, it will try and convert them.

I make no guarantees that this will work, I hacked it together in about 5 hours on my first day of Terraria modding and C#.
Hey look, tAPI r15 is out, that was sooner than I expected, don't worry I'll make something useful someday.

Technical details:
Whenever the AllModsLoaded callback is run on the mod, it scans the Worlds and Players folders for .plr and .wld files. It tries to load them as Zip files (tAPI format) and if it fails for any reason, it assumes they're vanilla and tries to convert them.
I just shoved vanilla Terraria into ILSpy, and copied the load methods for players and worlds into my mod, and used the tAPI save methods.

If anyone wants to give me some modding tips or recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
Happy modding guys.

Last edited:
Hey Chicken Bones, All your mods from Minecraft are amazing. I was wondering are you going to port some of your mods to terraria. Like the Ender Pouches, that would be amazing, because of all the items and materials you collect fills up your inventory quite quick.

By the way I just made a profile just so I could talk to you.. :)

Hey Chicken Bones, All your mods from Minecraft are amazing. I was wondering are you going to port some of your mods to terraria. Like the Ender Pouches, that would be amazing, because of all the items and materials you collect fills up your inventory quite quick.

By the way I just made a profile just so I could talk to you.. :)
That's actually a good idea, I may end up doing that

That's actually a good idea, I may end up doing that
There was once a great backpack mod for tconfig, RussLeeIV made it, it's on TO still. Maybe it can inspire you, or you probably will have your own vision about it. Ufcourse, it will be awesome to see such a thing, i miss something like that (especialy with all those content mods, when inventory gets cluttered in 5 seconds of gameplay).

There was once a great backpack mod for tconfig, RussLeeIV made it, it's on TO still. Maybe it can inspire you, or you probably will have your own vision about it. Ufcourse, it will be awesome to see such a thing, i miss something like that (especialy with all those content mods, when inventory gets cluttered in 5 seconds of gameplay).
Could you find a link? At this point, reference mods are great.

Edit: I unlazied myself and used google. Got it

Last edited:
I think that opened a can of worms. I'm sorry, but I think you will be pressured to make this mod till its done. Then on the other hand you came through with updates for the Minecraft mods that you created. You never failed, and kept ATL, FTB, and Technic mod packs up to date. Everyone was happy, keep up the good work and I'm sure that the terraria community will be more than happy to support you I for one will, and if you like I will personally test them my self. I am on steam hines06 and Minecraft Hines_06. Or you can email me @ [email protected].
Thank you
Brandon Hines

Could you find a link? At this point, reference mods are great.

Edit: I unlazied myself and used google. Got it
offtopic: Instant follow because i'm a fan of your minecraft mods...
ontopic: ...and i hope to see some of your mods (like ender pouches, or WR-CBE) ported to terraria!

offtopic: Instant follow because i'm a fan of your minecraft mods...
ontopic: ...and i hope to see some of your mods (like ender pouches, or WR-CBE) ported to terraria!
I don't think he would be able to Wire-less Redstone, because of copyright issues Redstone was created By Notch and his team, therefor it would be illegal.
I think someone also tried to create wires for terraria with the Tconfig version.
Here is the link http://tconfig.wikia.com/wiki/Modpacks and look for MiraiMai is the creator and Not Enough Devices is the mod

I don't think he would be able to Wire-less Redstone, because of copyright issues Redstone was created By Notch and his team, therefor it would be illegal.
I think someone also tried to create wires for terraria with the Tconfig version.
Here is the link http://tconfig.wikia.com/wiki/Modpacks and look for MiraiMai is the creator and Not Enough Devices is the mod
well, obviously it would be made with wires not redstone... but calling the mod "Wireless Wires" doesn't make much sense so it could be called "Wireless Activations" and such

well, obviously it would be made with wires not redstone... but calling the mod "Wireless Wires" doesn't make much sense so it could be called "Wireless Activations" and such
You know What would be awesome. If you were able to have a remote to control all the devices that you have placed with a transceiver of some kind. The reason behind this is that you only have three colors and I think that you would crash constantly if you trying to implement more. So just keeping one item would eliminate a lot of problems. Also it would start taking up a ton of inventory space If you made a remote for each color. You could turn things on and off while holding the remote in you hand it would also have the range of everything that you could see on the screen, and moving your curser to what you want to turn off.

Love this man. For if not for this man, Minecraft would never have had some of the Core essential mods that go into modpacks and modding in general.

I literally tremble with anticipation waiting for this man's brilliance.

Love this man. For if not for this man, Minecraft would never have had some of the Core essential mods that go into modpacks and modding in general.

I literally tremble with anticipation waiting for this man's brilliance.
I didn't know he worked on forge, cool. When did he start?

I didn't know he worked on forge, cool. When did he start?
Stuff like NEI, and the likes that damn near every modpack uses, things that many a hopeless minecraftian would be nuclear reactorless had he not had the kindness to make.

Smartass, He made massive contibutions and you feel like cracking humor. for shame, mate.

I also second an enderstorage for terraria, that'd be goddamn cool.

Just a disclaimer, it will probably be a month at least, before I port any mods from minecraft. I'm very busy, and have other priorities, sorry.

Just a disclaimer, it will probably be a month at least, before I port any mods from minecraft. I'm very busy, and have other priorities, sorry.
That's not a disclaimer, that's more expected.

Making mods of quality isn't a day long process, it could take weeks, months, hell, I've been watching some modmakers for 4 years now, and they've never gone into beta, despite obvious progress being made. You taking a month to even start working on a mod is a small grain of time to wait for genius to form.

Tl; dr, Take your time, man, We've been boneless in Terraria for so long before, We can wait a few months for you now.

Stuff like NEI, and the likes that damn near every modpack uses, things that many a hopeless minecraftian would be nuclear reactorless had he not had the kindness to make.

Smartass, He made massive contibutions and you feel like cracking humor. for shame, mate.

I also second an enderstorage for terraria, that'd be goddamn cool.
I actually thought he worked on forge, and I actually thought that was cool, you pizzle.

Last edited:
You know What would be awesome. If you were able to have a remote to control all the devices that you have placed with a transceiver of some kind. The reason behind this is that you only have three colors and I think that you would crash constantly if you trying to implement more. So just keeping one item would eliminate a lot of problems. Also it would start taking up a ton of inventory space If you made a remote for each color. You could turn things on and off while holding the remote in you hand it would also have the range of everything that you could see on the screen, and moving your curser to what you want to turn off.
uhm... do you even know how the actual WR-CBE works? there's an input block and an output block. you insert the same number in both blocks, BAM they're linked. no color stuff.

Back
Top Bottom