Texture Pack Vanilla Terraria but with crosses removed from tombstones

No offense to Christians, but my friend and I are Muslim and we agreed we'd rather not drop cross shaped tombstones upon death, so I thought it would be cool to make my own versions of the gravestones.
Made the new gravestone pixel arts by myself. They're all pretty basic, but I like them. I've done my best to emulate the original style of the game but you be the judge on how successful I was at that.
The tombstones which don't include the cross remain unchanged, including the one with the angel.
tts.png

These textures can also work for other non-Christian players.
Or Christians if you prefer not to have the cross on the tombstones for whatever reason.
don't think too hard about it i just wanted to do pixel art.

EDIT: THE GRAVESTONE PROJECTILE WHEN THE GRAVESTONE BOUNCES AROUND, AS WELL AS THE GLOW THAT APPEARS WHEN THE MOUSE HOVERS OVER THE GRAVE IN SMART CURSOR MODE, HAVE BEEN FIXED: THE ORIGINAL TEXTURE PACK FILE HAS BEEN DELETED, FIND THE UPDATED VERSION ATTACHED TO THIS POST AND IN THE REPLIES TO THIS THREAD.
EDIT 2: THE ITEMS NOW HAVE MATCHING NAMES IN GAME, SO THE WOODEN GRAVE MARKER IS NO LONGER CALLED THE CROSS GRAVE MARKER ETC. ONCE AGAIN THE ORIGINAL FILE HAS BEEN DELETED, FIND VERSION 1.2 IN HERE.
EDIT 3: i put it on steam workshop

Attachments

• HalalTerraria.zip
    49.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
You've done a fantastic job! The vines/moss really add character.

I'm an atheist and the crosses did bother me a bit. The game has a lot of direct references to historical cultures, and basically hell with devils, so the crosses feel like an unambiguous religious reference. Though I've heard the cross wasn't always a Christian symbol. So I like to imagine it could have some other meaning in this fantasy setting.

You've done a fantastic job! The vines/moss really add character.

I'm an atheist and the crosses did bother me a bit. The game has a lot of direct references to historical cultures, and basically hell with devils, so the crosses feel like an unambiguous religious reference. Though I've heard the cross wasn't always a Christian symbol. So I like to imagine it could have some other meaning in this fantasy setting.
Ehhh its kind of a weird peeve I had but I mainly wanted to try making a texture pack just for the fun of it. Also Demons and hell are a thing even in fantasy settings that don't involve irl religions but the cross just didnt seem to fit.

Btw if anyone can answer this how do you change the sprite ofthe gravestone when it bounces around before being placed in the world as an object, and how do you change the shape of the glow effect when using smart cursor?

Btw if anyone can answer this how do you change the sprite ofthe gravestone when it bounces around before being placed in the world as an object, and how do you change the shape of the glow effect when using smart cursor?
The bouncing tombstones are actually projectiles. Their IDs are: 43, 201, 202, 203, 204 and 205. The golden tombstones are 527, 528, 529, 530 and 531. No clue about the other thing tho.

EDIT: I think the glow effect of the smart cursor is called SmartDig.

The bouncing tombstones are actually projectiles. Their IDs are: 43, 201, 202, 203, 204 and 205. The golden tombstones are 527, 528, 529, 530 and 531. No clue about the other thing tho.

EDIT: I think the glow effect of the smart cursor is called SmartDig.
Thanks, the projectile thing was helpful and I figured out where to find the smart cursor glow (it was in the Misc folder in a subfolder called TileOutlines)

Updated/Fixed version here

Attachments

• Halal Terraria.zip
    49 KB · Views: 243
Thank you for this, definitely gonna use it. But, the item_3229 and item_3233 looks a bit empty, maybe a little more modification to it would make it better. Just a suggestion.

Fantastic textures! I think it's great that this exists for people who (for whatever reason) are uncomfortable with the cross versions, and beyond that, simply excellent sprites in and of themselves!

The crosses on the tombstones in Terraria do not have anything to do with religion. They weren't put into the game just to insult muslims. Now, you might not be trying to insult Christians, but you are insulting Terraria by thinking it or anything in it has anything to do with religion.

The crosses on the tombstones in Terraria do not have anything to do with religion. They weren't put into the game just to insult muslims. Now, you might not be trying to insult Christians, but you are insulting Terraria by thinking it or anything in it has anything to do with religion.
Seriously? This is a non-issue. It's just a matter of personal preference. It's absurd to say that this is "insulting Terraria". This isn't about anyone being offended; the creator of the texture pack would just rather have something other than the Christian symbols, and they also said that part of it was that they wanted to try making a texture pack.

Bruh

I thought the thread was some petty atheist when I saw the title but grave markers have always been tied to religious significance in every society.

Terraria using some christian grave markers makes sense because ghosts, corpses, and spirits tied to physical graves typically get fantasy association with the christian practice of burying the corpse whole. You notice this a lot in Japanese game development especially, despite the low amount of christians in japan.
1603327265844.png

Being mildly annoyed because your character, your avatar of immersion for a game, dropping a grave marker that doesn't match your own ideas, is a valid enough reason to make a texture pack.

Why even post?

(atheist btw)

Last edited:
Bruh

I thought the thread was some petty atheist when I saw the title but grave markers have always been tied to religious significance in every society.

Terraria using some christian grave markers makes sense because ghosts, corpses, and spirits tied to physical graves typically get fantasy association with the christian practice of burying the corpse whole. You notice this a lot in Japanese game development especially, despite the low amount of christians in japan.
View attachment 295495

Being mildly annoyed because your character, your avatar of immersion for a game, dropping a grave marker that doesn't match your own ideas, is a valid enough reason to make a texture pack.

Why even post?

(atheist btw)
If you don't like the pack... just don't use it. There's no reason to create an issue about an optional third party texture change like this.

If you don't like the pack... just don't use it. There's no reason to create an issue about an optional third party texture change like this.
They were defending the OP:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom