Vanity Challenge! March's theme is Steampunk - submit your creation here

Unit One

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
vanity2.png

Hello Terrarians! As you know, each month we have a State of the Game, which is a community update on development progress across all active platforms. In these State of the Game threads a banner is included at the top to start it off, and that’s where you can get involved.

Want to see your character used in the State of the Game banner?
We’re hoping to get our talented community participating by opening up the opportunity for your Terraria character to be featured in the banner. The theme for March is Steampunk.

• HOW IT WORKS
    • You are not creating the banner, you’re submitting a vanity character that may be used in the banner
    • Post an image of the character, and then post all the details on how to recreate it by...
      • *NEW* Preferred: Attaching the .plr file for your character (thanks to @ZucriyAmsuna for this clever idea)
      • -or- Posting an image of the equipment, dyes, hairstyles, etc
      • -or- Listing out everything used
    • Please use items from vanilla Terraria only (using a mod or inventory editor to acquire the vanilla items is fine though). The character will need to be able to be created in vanilla.

• MARCH GUIDELINES
    Cog-EDIT.png
    • Submissions will be open until March 15th
    • THEME: Steampunk
      • Get your gears and clockwork tools ready to create the vanity for this month. For the March banner, a character that looks like they could be friends with the Steampunker would work nicely.

• OTHER DETAILS
    • How will I know if I won? When the new State of the Game announcement is posted, this thread will be updated to congratulate the winner
    • What do I win? The satisfaction of seeing your vanity creation used in an official banner `:cool:
    • Please realize that the chosen vanity character may be covered up quite a bit in the banner, as the background and player are not the focus of the banner

That’s it Terrarians! We hope you have fun with this little project and look forward to seeing your creations.

I feel like this could be quite difficult given that the theme is a little bit more specific and there's a lot of details that can be hard to get across on the tiny terraria character. Nevertheless here's a couple designs I came up with:
1: A kinda gritty jetpack-wearing steampunk bandit, and
2: A more traditional steampunk inventor (where I used the angler's tackle bag as some sort of mechanical contraption, because it's one of my personal favourite vanity accessories).

I might make more characters for this later, in which case would it be better to make a new post or just edit this one?

Edit: Made another character, a grizzled mechanic (I forgot that the architect gizmo pack was an item, so I used that on this one because it's also pretty cool). I've tried to not go too overboard on the specifically steampunk items in terraria because I feel like it's low hanging fruit and I want to be a bit more creative, but you have to admit it's hard not to just keep using the goggles because they make everything look steampunk.

Attachments

• Steampunk 1.PNG
    Steampunk 1.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Steampun 2.PNG
    Steampun 2.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Peam_Stunker.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Peam_Stunker_2.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Steampunk 3.PNG
    Steampunk 3.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Peam_Stunker_3.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I feel like this could be quite difficult given that the theme is a little bit more specific and there's a lot of details that can be hard to get across on the tiny terraria character. Nevertheless here's a couple designs I came up with:
1: A kinda gritty jetpack-wearing steampunk bandit, and
2: A more traditional steampunk inventor (where I used the angler's tackle bag as some sort of mechanical contraption, because it's one of my personal favourite vanity accessories).

I might make more characters for this later, in which case would it be better to make a new post or just edit this one?
Hi @Zetta31, congrats on having your character featured in Feb’s banner. :) If you decide to submit more characters for the March banner, it’s better to edit them into your post above, instead of creating a new post.

OK thanks, was wondering because this is a creative aspect of the game that I don't really see focused on as much that I've been having a lot of fun with in the 1.4 drought, and having more reasons to make more interesting characters is something that I hope the forums/community continues to encourage.

Another one? Oh boy! This is the character I came up with:
Steampnk.png

He hides his mechanical face under his hat and uses corrupt flames to create the steam to power his gadgets.

Second character: A more simple mechanic-like character design.
Steampnk_2.png

Third character: Came up with a little robot companion.
Steampnk_3.png

Fourth character: Got this idea when I was looking for inspiration online for my first character's design and I decided to follow through with it.
Steampnk_4.png

This is really fun coming up with unique vanity sets for the next banner. Steampunk designs aren't usually something I've considered using until now.

Attachments

• Punk.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Punk_2.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Punk_3.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Punk_4.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Oh well I guess I’ll put beans here again! I’ve improved the design a little more as well. I need to stop doing these on mobile but transferring photos from Xbox is a pain.
Here she is again with reflective copper dye and a few more gizmos to really sell that steampunk vibe.
Edited slightly!
614DEB59-FBFE-4DFE-96D8-72D3973EE75B.jpeg

2BA2EAAA-6F4B-4170-A512-C996B3A6D149.jpeg

What is a .plr file and how do I attach that?

Attachments

• Ellie.plr
    2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Here's a steampunk character, Deryn. That's the clentaminator pack on her back, by the way (I wish it was a vanity item and not just something that shows up when you hold it -_-)
Deryn.png

Attachments

• Deryn.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 177
Here's my character attempt. It might be looking a little odd because of the picture, though he's a male character. (And yes I'm a mobile user what's wrong)

By the way, those chains there are part of the world, not the character.
steampunk_dude_preview_picture.jpg

Attachments

• Steampunk_Dude.plr
    2 KB · Views: 174
Here's my entry. I'm very lucky to have picked this month to join.
You can tell from my character I'm already pretty damn into this Steampunk theme :D
Capture 2020-02-28 20_41_43.png

Say hi to SteampulateVenus!
Anyway, the .plr file is attached.
Thanks for the attention,
StipulateVenus.

Attachments

• SteampulateVenus_;D.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 168
Oh well I guess I’ll put beans here again! I’ve improved the design a little more as well. I need to stop doing these on mobile but transferring photos from Xbox is a pain.
Here she is again with reflective copper dye and a few more gizmos to really sell that steampunk vibe.
Edited slightly!View attachment 236739
View attachment 236738
What is a .plr file and how do I attach that?
Hi @CornMaized, here’s where you can find your player files on mobile:
  • Open your Files App and you should see these folders.
  • On Android devices - Android > data > com.and.games505.TerrariaPaid > Players
  • On iOS devices - On My <Device> > Terraria > Players
Then, here on the forums you can use the “Upload a File” to attach a copy of the player file to your post.

There’s no way for console players to attach a .plr file, but PC and mobile can. `:indifferent:

Thanks for the wonderful Steampunk-themed vanity creations everyone! The winners will be announced here when the new State of the Game thread is posted. `:cool:

Back
Top Bottom