tModLoader VapeMods by FractalXX

Shrinking the post.

Totally forgot about the "weapons are not like armor" thing. Yeah, makes a lot of sense. The socketing idea is great.

Now that you described scrolls, feels that I could guess this much. Please consider adding a "blink" spell to scrolls, at whatever the cost, cooldown. I'm a sucker for all things teleporty, and using an accessory just to get a dash skill in the base game feels restricting.

And please, feel free to use this, or possibly any other sprite I manage to scrap out. I would gladly do more, but one thing is to grab a table sprite and diabolical sigil sprite and do something basic with them(and still it definitely could have been better). Drawing something from one's had though, is a different matter.

EDIT: Possible sprites for the "mana addict" and health regen on kill skills. Not sure about the sizes, though. If they should be bigger, my only hope is that Terraria's wiki have bigger skulls images ;p

Attachments

• Skeletron_Mask_Red_Flower_Teeth.png
    Skeletron_Mask_Red_Flower_Teeth.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Skeletron_Mask_Red_Flower.png
    Skeletron_Mask_Red_Flower.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Skeletron_Mask_Blue_Flower_Teeth.png
    Skeletron_Mask_Blue_Flower_Teeth.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Skeletron_Mask_Blue_Flower.png
    Skeletron_Mask_Blue_Flower.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Totally forgot about the "weapons are not like armor" thing. Yeah, makes a lot of sense. The socketing idea is great.

Now that you described scrolls, feels that I could guess this much. Please consider adding a "blink" spell to scrolls, at whatever the cost, cooldown. I'm a sucker for all things teleporty, and using an accessory just to get a dash skill in the base game feels restricting.

And please, feel free to use this, or possibly any other sprite I manage to scrap out. I would gladly do more, but one thing is to grab a table sprite and diabolical sigil sprite and do something basic with them(and still it definitely could have been better). Drawing something from one's had though, is a different matter.

EDIT: Possible sprites for the "mana addict" and health regen on kill skills. Not sure about the sizes, though. If they should be bigger, my only hope is that Terraria's wiki have bigger skulls images ;p

Blink is a must have, I know. :)
I just don't know that I should make these minor abilities cost mana AND get on cooldown or no mana but more cooldown. Hard to decide to be honest.

Actually, they would be good but skill frames are 64x64 in the mod, also they use the buff icons' background.

Attachments

• SkillFrame.png
    SkillFrame.png
    584 bytes · Views: 129
Blink is a must have, I know. :)
I just don't know that I should make these minor abilities cost mana AND get on cooldown or no mana but more cooldown. Hard to decide to be honest.

Actually, they would be good but skill frames are 64x64 in the mod, also they use the buff icons' background.
Alright, I'll see what I can do with this.

About the blink. I think both blink and dash should be available as skills. I think that dash should have a short cooldown, like 2 seconds, and cost no mana, or, maybe, has 0 cooldown, but stack a -damage debuff on a player that lasts for 3 seconds or something. Think dark souls, but instead of stamina, you need to manage "exhaustion" debuff. Also, dash shouldn't give you iframes.
Blink, on the other hand, should give you iframes or simply let you teleport through enemies, but have a 5-7 seconds cooldown.
I don't know honestly, this is something that requires fine tuning by playtesting. But yeah, the ability to blink and dash on skills and not on accessories is something I really wish was in base Terraria. Also, they probably should be mutually exclusive.

That's something.
Exploding Rage is what happens when I try to actually draw. As I hadn't found something that would be meaningful in Terraria, I hadn't included the excitement skill.
Hope a proper spriter drops in this thread on one of these days.
Meanwhile, if you need help with raiding Terraria's wiki, I can produce more stuff like that. But I need skill names and descriptions.

Edit: Sorry for a double.

Attachments

• Skill_OnDeath_Bloodlust.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Bloodlust.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Life.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Life.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Mana.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Mana.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Skill_OnDeath_Reaver.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Reaver.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Skill_OnDeath_Soul_Reaver.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Soul_Reaver.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Skill_OnDeath_Exploding_Rage(Awfull).png
    Skill_OnDeath_Exploding_Rage(Awfull).png
    18.8 KB · Views: 121
That's something.
Exploding Rage is what happens when I try to actually draw. As I hadn't found something that would be meaningful in Terraria, I hadn't included the excitement skill.
Hope a proper spriter drops in this thread on one of these days.
Meanwhile, if you need help with raiding Terraria's wiki, I can produce more stuff like that. But I need skill names and descriptions.

Edit: Sorry for a double.

They fit their role actually. It saves me time to focus on the code at least. Do you use Photoshop? If yes: when you resize stuff, I recommend copying them to a separate image and using Image Size in the menu -> change the size and set Resample to Bicubic Sharper if you reduce the size and Nearest Neighbour if you increase it. That will keep them pixelated and they won't look "blurry".

They fit their role actually. It saves me time to focus on the code at least. Do you use Photoshop? If yes: when you resize stuff, I recommend copying them to a separate image and using Image Size in the menu -> change the size and set Resample to Bicubic Sharper if you reduce the size and Nearest Neighbour if you increase it. That will keep them pixelated and they won't look "blurry".

That is... actually very useful, thank you!
Alright, I'll remake this bunch then. Any other skills you have in mind, I could take care of? Or it will take more time to describe them, rather than draw them yourself?

That is... actually very useful, thank you!
Alright, I'll remake this bunch then. Any other skills you have in mind, I could take care of? Or it will take more time to describe them, rather than draw them yourself?

You're welcome. :)
Actually, the only one I don't see here is Energizing Skills.

Eh, I wrote earlier, I don't have any particular sprite in Terraria in mind, and drawing it by hand, is not something I will manage to do.

Didn't you say Excitement? Sorry, It was kinda late here already.
I'll draw everything I need when I have time, it's just that if you draw something fitting I'll put it in instead.

That might be because of the custom HP bar. Because of the HP bar, I had to remove the vanilla resource bars also contained the Buff Indicator and it turns out that it controls the breath meter as well.
I see 2+1 options for a potential fix:

1. Rewrite the breath meter drawing code as I did with the Buff Indicator (hard task to be honest).
2. Remove the custom hp/mp bar and use the vanilla one instead OR players will use other UI mods such as Unleveled.
3. Find a workaround to make it so that I don't have to remove the entire UI layer, only the HP/MP bars. (which is highly unlikely considering the way Terraria's UI works)

I'm open for opinions. What do you think?

I like the way you did the HP and MP bars, however, sometimes, I do miss the vanilla ones. I think for now, you should pick one of the top two, then later, add in the option to have the VapeRPG bars, or the Vanilla mods

Done. Scaling really is better with your tip. Awfull explosions are 100% gorier(and awful), didn't touch the wraiths, because I hadn't scaled them originally. Added Energizing kills. Originally intended to add electrical arcs around the star, but it looks too messy in 64 by 64 frame. Will also finally have the time to test worm bosses today about their chaos parts.

Attachments

• Skill_OnDeath_Bloodlust(2).png
    Skill_OnDeath_Bloodlust(2).png
    18.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Skill_OnDeath_Exploding_Rage(2)(Awfull).png
    Skill_OnDeath_Exploding_Rage(2)(Awfull).png
    18.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Skill_OnDeath_Reaver.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Reaver.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Life(2).png
    Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Life(2).png
    18.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Mana(2).png
    Skill_OnDeath_Skull_Mana(2).png
    18.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Skill_OnDeath_Soul_Reaver.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Soul_Reaver.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Skill_OnDeath_Energizing_Kills.png
    Skill_OnDeath_Energizing_Kills.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 107
Done. Scaling really is better with your tip. Awfull explosions are 100% gorier(and awful), didn't touch the wraiths, because I hadn't scaled them originally. Added Energizing kills. Originally intended to add electrical arcs around the star, but it looks too messy in 64 by 64 frame. Will also finally have the time to test worm bosses today about their chaos parts.

Awesome! Thanks for saving me a lot of time.
For Worm mobs, keep in mind that boss worms are not ignored by Chaos transform, yet. Will fix that in the next update. It should work for ordinary worms, though.

I like the way you did the HP and MP bars, however, sometimes, I do miss the vanilla ones. I think for now, you should pick one of the top two, then later, add in the option to have the VapeRPG bars, or the Vanilla mods

I've excluded the custom bars for now. So, in the current version (on the Mod Browser), it won't cause any problems.

i've noticed your talk about a blink and dash.. i dont like the idea about the blink. it would be fine if it would function like a worse rod of discord, costing hp with atleast 30 sec cooldown.. but other than that, it would just needlessly replace the usefulness of the rod of discord, thus making it entirely obsolete.

i've noticed your talk about a blink and dash.. i dont like the idea about the blink. it would be fine if it would function like a worse rod of discord, costing hp with atleast 30 sec cooldown.. but other than that, it would just needlessly replace the usefulness of the rod of discord, thus making it entirely obsolete.
The need to actually swap to another slot and press left-clicky-click is slightly redundant in the year 2017. I'm not against balancing the skill properly, or the boss fights will be trivialized. But talking about the release date of Terraria, and how much more it became over the years, allowing us to have a special button to dash/teleport, without requiring an accessory slot is a necessary QoL change, really.
That being said, you are definitely right about the balancing issue. But I think it should perform at least on par with the rod of discord. And in case of tiered progression for the scroll skills, it should be worse->samy->better.

Awesome! Thanks for saving me a lot of time.
For Worm mobs, keep in mind that boss worms are not ignored by Chaos transform, yet. Will fix that in the next update. It should work for ordinary worms, though.

Just tested it. Using Cheat Sheet to spawn worms, bosses and regular ones alike, both can spawn with segments of "chaos" in them. Mods and vanilla. Devourers, Giant Worms, Crawltepedes, etc.

The need to actually swap to another slot and press left-clicky-click is slightly redundant in the year 2017. I'm not against balancing the skill properly, or the boss fights will be trivialized. But talking about the release date of Terraria, and how much more it became over the years, allowing us to have a special button to dash/teleport, without requiring an accessory slot is a necessary QoL change, really.
That being said, you are definitely right about the balancing issue. But I think it should perform at least on par with the rod of discord. And in case of tiered progression for the scroll skills, it should be worse->samy->better.

Just tested it. Using Cheat Sheet to spawn worms, bosses and regular ones alike, both can spawn with segments of "chaos" in them. Mods and vanilla. Devourers, Giant Worms, Crawltepedes, etc.

I kinda agree. Also, if it would need mana (and not so few) both the rod and the scroll would have their own uses.

That's bad. I'll have to tweak it even further...

The need to actually swap to another slot and press left-clicky-click is slightly redundant in the year 2017.

all hail the automatic use of all weapons in your inventory crammed into one slot without doing a thing. thats literally what you just said, just exaggerated a little bit to make my point clear. that wasnt even my point to begin with though...

balancing the whole thing is a given, but it should be inferior to the rod of discord. or it should use the rod of discord as part of it at the very least.. making it completely independent from the rod will, like i said earlier, make the rod of discord obsolete. there are enough mods making it easier to farm the rod, so even using the hassle to farm one as excuse is pointless.

all hail the automatic use of all weapons in your inventory crammed into one slot without doing a thing. thats literally what you just said, just exaggerated a little bit to make my point clear. that wasnt even my point to begin with though...

balancing the whole thing is a given, but it should be inferior to the rod of discord. or it should use the rod of discord as part of it at the very least.. making it completely independent from the rod will, like i said earlier, make the rod of discord obsolete. there are enough mods making it easier to farm the rod, so even using the hassle to farm one as excuse is pointless.
Don't really understand, what is the point of your first paragraph. But if you imply general dumbing down of game mechanics in the last 15 or so years, it has nothing to the with quality of life stuff, as being able to push one button instead of two, you know.

And what about the rod of discord being obsolete? Minishark becomes obsolete. Enchanted Boomerang becomes obsolete. Hell, cloud in a bottle, something that was one of the must have accessories prior to patch 1.1(?) becomes obsolete as soon as you step into hardmode. And that's not counting the mods which add pre-hm wings. You could argue that clouds are useful, then look at the horseshoe. It cries in the corner with other "obsolete" accessories.

Giving a player an ability to use the rod prior to hm, in my mind, will only improve the dynamics of the game. This is something that adds to the game as a whole, not subtracts from it, with proper balancing.

Actually, taking some mods into consideration, balance is already screwed. Putting Blink into the equation wouldn't really make it worse any more.
Also, I wouldn't really make it easy to obtain, of course. RoD needs grinding and without the help of some mods, it depends on RNG, too.
Blink would need more heavy grinding but not RNG.
That means it divides players into two groups:
One which is lucky and wouldn't bother getting Blink;
One which is not lucky and is eager to grind if it doesn't depend on luck.

So the OP "Dummy" sword dealing 55 damage which can easily be made out of 10 dirt isn't supposed to be in the mod right? I know someone else reported this but I haven't noticed a response. Hope that can be removed in the next update.

Everything else is looking top-notch, and looking forward to where this is going!

So the OP "Dummy" sword dealing 55 damage which can easily be made out of 10 dirt isn't supposed to be in the mod right? I know someone else reported this but I haven't noticed a response. Hope that can be removed in the next update.

Everything else is looking top-notch, and looking forward to where this is going!

In which mod did I left it? I thought I removed it from all of them.
EDIT: fixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom