tModLoader VapeRPG Alpha v0.3

Should the skill tree get more linear? (only one prerequisite for every skill)

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters
I've created a poll on the skill tree. Thing is, it would be easier to implement and manage the system if the skill tree was more linear. What I'd like to ask is, do you think it's good to have more than one prerequisite for a skill or is it unnecessary?

I've created a poll on the skill tree. Thing is, it would be easier to implement and manage the system if the skill tree was more linear. What I'd like to ask is, do you think it's good to have more than one prerequisite for a skill or is it unnecessary?
I would say that more than one pre-requisite is better for balance purposes if you're doing a very powerful passive skill at the end of leveling, or if you want to give the feeling of progress. But, it's also true that that's more complicated to implement. passive system? Instead of it being a cascading tree, it's more like a point tree, for example, the first passive requires 1 skill point, the second passive requires n+1*(allocated skills) for example, this is more linear and still balanced way. The problem with that is that player's will have very few options of passive at the maximum level since it gets exponentially harder to get passive skills. Another option is to make a combination passive tree, for example:

You have 4 main nodes, Melee, Ranged, Magic and Summoning.

Around this main nodes you have several wheels of smaller nodes that grants smaller and different buffs, every time you spend a point into the Melee master node for example, the next point will automatically be connected to the next based on the amount of points you have into the Melee node, this means that the more you invest into Melee, the further the tree will connect, but the interesting thing is that if you invest into something else, for example, Magic you have now another path of connections in conjunction with the Melee one. This means you can branch from melee to magic if there's a magic smaller node close to the Melee nodes you already have, but because you're much further with melee you can force the Melee path to branch into the magic path by investing a few points into the Magic master node. This way is easier for the player to just care about the 4 Main nodes, but I'm not sure how the implementation would be, but it looks simple math from what I can foresee. Hope I've inspired you with something :p

I would say that more than one pre-requisite is better for balance purposes if you're doing a very powerful passive skill at the end of leveling, or if you want to give the feeling of progress. But, it's also true that that's more complicated to implement. passive system? Instead of it being a cascading tree, it's more like a point tree, for example, the first passive requires 1 skill point, the second passive requires n+1*(allocated skills) for example, this is more linear and still balanced way. The problem with that is that player's will have very few options of passive at the maximum level since it gets exponentially harder to get passive skills. Another option is to make a combination passive tree, for example:

You have 4 main nodes, Melee, Ranged, Magic and Summoning.

Around this main nodes you have several wheels of smaller nodes that grants smaller and different buffs, every time you spend a point into the Melee master node for example, the next point will automatically be connected to the next based on the amount of points you have into the Melee node, this means that the more you invest into Melee, the further the tree will connect, but the interesting thing is that if you invest into something else, for example, Magic you have now another path of connections in conjunction with the Melee one. This means you can branch from melee to magic if there's a magic smaller node close to the Melee nodes you already have, but because you're much further with melee you can force the Melee path to branch into the magic path by investing a few points into the Magic master node. This way is easier for the player to just care about the 4 Main nodes, but I'm not sure how the implementation would be, but it looks simple math from what I can foresee. Hope I've inspired you with something :p

You just roughly described the skill tree in Osiris: New Dawn.
It looks like this:
Whl7PNG.png

It's an interesting idea, though. I'll consider it.

You just roughly described the skill tree in Osiris: New Dawn.
It looks like this:
Whl7PNG.png

It's an interesting idea, though. I'll consider it.
I've never even seen this game before LOL
But anyways, it seems that their skill tree doesn't branch into the other tree like I suggested, I don't see any of the red nodes connecting to the green nodes for example.

What I mean is if you have reach the requirements for both nodes you'll be able to branch from one tree to the other, I'll draw something later and update this post to show you what I'm saying xD

This is what I meant, You can see that the Brawl (Melee) Main tree, branches into the ranged tree at some point, that's because that node requires you to have 1 Ranged Point (OR) 4 Melee Points, so once you have that Melee Points, and you spec into Ranged, that tree will automatically start going into the Ranged tree because you invested the necessary amount of points into ranged. The same happens with Magic and Summon, because they're "friends" as Melee and Ranged are also friends, Melee and Magic are enemies and Ranged and Summon are also Enemies, that's because investing into Ranged and trying to go into Summoning will be harder (cost more points) because Ranged and Summoning are far away from each other, such as Melee and Magic, on the other hand, investing from Magic to Summoning is easier, because they're close to each other, that's what 'Friends and Enemies' means in concept... I hope that helped to clarify what I meant =)

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 160
This is what I meant, You can see that the Brawl (Melee) Main tree, branches into the ranged tree at some point, that's because that node requires you to have 1 Ranged Point (OR) 4 Melee Points, so once you have that Melee Points, and you spec into Ranged, that tree will automatically start going into the Ranged tree because you invested the necessary amount of points into ranged. The same happens with Magic and Summon, because they're "friends" as Melee and Ranged are also friends, Melee and Magic are enemies and Ranged and Summon are also Enemies, that's because investing into Ranged and trying to go into Summoning will be harder (cost more points) because Ranged and Summoning are far away from each other, such as Melee and Magic, on the other hand, investing from Magic to Summoning is easier, because they're close to each other, that's what 'Friends and Enemies' means in concept... I hope that helped to clarify what I meant =)

Now I see. That's a very good concept but I fear that it'll be far in the future if I implement it as it will involve the rethinking of some skills. Nevertheless, I noted it.

Weird. I also downloaded it on my desktop (I uploaded the update on my laptop) and it works fine. For scrolling, you need to hover over the scrollable panel but I assume you tried that.

I'm always open for improvements. I think user feedback forms the best products in the world.

well, i've investigated... and there is only way for scrolling, the scroll bar i think is only visual, because i can`t click and scroll with it, and the mouse wheel... well... only scrolls by hovering and moving on the stats panel, i mean... if i only hover the cursor on stats panel and roll the wheel, doesn't work... i need to "move the cursor while rolling the wheel" to the panel scrolls...
idk if you understood me... as i said... i don't speak english so much... ^^''

Now I see. That's a very good concept but I fear that it'll be far in the future if I implement it as it will involve the rethinking of some skills. Nevertheless, I noted it.

Thank you! I appreciate the attention my man =) Hope everything is doing well, can't wait to play with this mod =)

well, i've investigated... and there is only way for scrolling, the scroll bar i think is only visual, because i can`t click and scroll with it, and the mouse wheel... well... only scrolls by hovering and moving on the stats panel, i mean... if i only hover the cursor on stats panel and roll the wheel, doesn't work... i need to "move the cursor while rolling the wheel" to the panel scrolls...
idk if you understood me... as i said... i don't speak english so much... ^^''

Could you record a video or a GIF of it and post it here? It would help a lot.

como gano punto para las habilidades o skill? soy nivel 4 y solo me dan puntos para destreza y vitalidad melee y haste

English, please. I can't help you without that.

In the meantime, a little spoiler from v0.4:
8HIH3iu.png
He's asking how does he get Skill Points through leveling, he's saying he only got Attribute Points, not skill points. (I'm from Brazil so I can kinda read Spanish lol)

He's asking how does he get Skill Points through leveling, he's saying he only got Attribute Points, not skill points. (I'm from Brazil so I can kinda read Spanish lol)

Ah, I see, thanks. In that case:

como gano punto para las habilidades o skill? soy nivel 4 y solo me dan puntos para destreza y vitalidad melee y haste

You only get skill points on every 5th level. That's a design decision, since if you got skill points on every level it would be incredibly unbalanced.

[QUOTE = "fractalxx, post: 1652821, miembro: 36305"] Él creó una encuesta en el árbol de habilidades. La cosa es que sería más fácil implementar y administrar el sistema y el árbol. Lo que me gustaría preguntar es: ¿Qué es lo que me gustaría? [/ CITA]

Me gustaría que las habilidades se especifiquen mejor en qué tipo de arma se da, por ejemplo, el ojo de halcón y las empuñaduras de titanio. Me gusta que las habilidades sean lineales, que evite los magos de tanques y la hibridez.

Me gustaría algunas habilidades que mejoran el daño con veneno, quemaduras, hielo,icor. Las armas de hielo deberían congelarse e inmovilizarse. skill tank class with add defence again fire, ice, poison, icor

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "fractalxx, post: 1652821, miembro: 36305"] Él creó una encuesta en el árbol de habilidades. La cosa es que sería más fácil implementar y administrar el sistema y el árbol. Lo que me gustaría preguntar es: ¿Qué es lo que me gustaría? [/ CITA]

Me gustaría que las habilidades se especifiquen mejor en qué tipo de arma se da, por ejemplo, el ojo de halcón y las empuñaduras de titanio. Me gusta que las habilidades sean lineales, que evite los magos de tanques y la hibridez.

Me gustaría algunas habilidades que mejoran el daño con veneno, quemaduras, hielo,icor. Las armas de hielo deberían congelarse e inmovilizarse. skill tank class with add defence again fire, ice, poison, icor

1. Hybrid builds are (or it's going to be eventually) one of the key aspects of the mod. Some skills tell you what their damage type is, though.

2. The next update will feature stuff like that.

hola, estoy probando el mod, y me ha gustado bastante, me gustaria que agregaran skill de block chance, con respecto al bloqueo tengo un problema, estoy jugando con calamity mod, exodus mod, y no admite bonus para asgardian shield( que esta formado por anhk shield y otros item) paladin shield tampoco da bonus de bloqueo. Supongo que el shield terrarian de thorium tampoco tendra bonus de bloqueo como otros escudos de thorium, por otro lado exodus hay mucha cantidad de escudos y tampoco reciben bonus de bloqueo

hola, estoy probando el mod, y me ha gustado bastante, me gustaria que agregaran skill de block chance, con respecto al bloqueo tengo un problema, estoy jugando con calamity mod, exodus mod, y no admite bonus para asgardian shield( que esta formado por anhk shield y otros item) paladin shield tampoco da bonus de bloqueo. Supongo que el shield terrarian de thorium tampoco tendra bonus de bloqueo como otros escudos de thorium, por otro lado exodus hay mucha cantidad de escudos y tampoco reciben bonus de bloqueo

I have yet to include support for shields in some other mods.

Back
Top Bottom