PC Various bugs, possible issues that may just be bad luck, and a couple oddities

Yvori

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Almost definitely bugs:
-Cursor Border transparency slider doesn't function: Opacity is always maximum.
-Sometimes a Storm will begin, and then return to normal rain, within 5 or so seconds.
-During the Slime Rain, Slime King doesn't appear to despawn, even if several screens away, and the entire 15 second Expert timer counts down.

Possibly just unusually bad/good luck:
-Jungle Trees don't drop acorns at all, seemingly.
-Oasis(es?) generate far too often - in a large world, 3/4 deserts had one.
-Corruption tends to generate in the middle of, and right beside, the Jungle far too frequently. Lots of reports of this from many people, myself included.
-Ground level seems to be higher than before, and less height variance around the world.
-Underground Desert has no aboveground indication of its presence, or if there is one, it generates covered up by Oasis(es?).
-Eater of Souls seem to drop the Burger item too frequently (unless I'm just getting lucky).
-Surface Tundra biome seems to generate abnormally small, taking up around the same horizontal size as a single Desert, while there are multiple Deserts per world yet only one Tundra.
-Falling Stars seem to be excessively frequent. Sometimes got 40 from a single night without travelling more than 200 blocks in either direction from spawn.
-Owl spawns seem to be excessive when they do spawn, considering how loud they are. It goes from atmospheric to annoying.
-RNG seems skewed toward giving certain items. In around 10 Golden Chests, 6 or so have been the new Mace.
-Pots and chests seem to never contain bombs anymore.

Misc:
-I may just be used to mods but the extractinator feels excessively slow to use, even slower than 1.3? Not sure. Would be nice to speed it up. Pointless downtime.
-Cannot jump higher from atop the Step Stool (this really feels and looks awkward, and seems like it should be a feature of the accessory).
-Bosses should not be able to naturally trigger ("You feel an evil presence watching you", etc.) while another boss is currently alive. I was in the middle of fighting King Slime during a Slime Rain when I got the EoC spawn message, and was unable to finish off King Slime before EoC spawned, causing them to duo up on me. Given it's a random chance, this is rather unfair when it happens.

-Not a bug but it would be nice if in Character Creation you could toggle between the moving and standing sprites to better see how a color scheme/outfit/hair will look.
-Given the new focus on spread-out towns, the V generation of corruption/crimson in particular once hardmode starts feels extra punishing for no good reason, since no way to tell where it will generate, potentially ruining towns you had built. A bit of a suggestion, but it'd be kind of neat if the hardmode corruption instead branched down from the pre-hardmode corruption rather than in an upward V from the bottom of the world. The Hallow could still use that generation method since it's less "destructive" and NPCs can still live in it.

*For all I know some of these are intentional. I decided to just post them anyway to be sure they're mentioned in case they aren't.

Last edited:
-During the Slime Rain, Slime King doesn't appear to despawn, even if several screens away, and the entire 15 second Expert timer counts down.

I believe that is a feature specific to the boss as a whole.

They never did. Jungle trees grow on their own without need for planting.

-Cannot jump higher from atop the Step Stool (this really feels and looks awkward, and seems like it should be a feature of the accessory).

You need to keep holding up and not move horizontally for extra height from stepstool I believe.

-Bosses should not be able to naturally trigger ("You feel an evil presence watching you", etc.) while another boss is currently alive. I was in the middle of fighting King Slime during a Slime Rain when I got the EoC spawn message, and was unable to finish off King Slime before EoC spawned, causing them to duo up on me. Given it's a random chance, this is rather unfair when it happens.

I believe this one is also a King Slime exclusive issue, might be a holdover from when it was considered a miniboss.

Leinfors: I was able to reduce the transparency to fully transparent by shifting the bars around a bit

-Sometimes a Storm will begin, and then return to normal rain, within 5 or so seconds.
Leinfors: Storms are a combination of wind and rain levels; its possible that one just barely became high enough to start a storm just as another was going down and ending the storm

Leinfors: This is a recurring issue, I'll look into it

Leinfors: I believe this is intentional, as Jungle trees grow naturally

Leinfors: Seems expected to me

-Corruption tends to generate in the middle of, and right beside, the Jungle far too frequently. Lots of reports of this from many people, myself included.
Leinfors: Something I've been bringing up recently. I think its a perception bias, but it would be nice to reduce the odds of it happening

-Ground level seems to be higher than before, and less height variance around the world.
Leinfors: Ground level was overall too low before, which has some bad side effects. We've increased it, and this is intended

-Underground Desert has no aboveground indication of its presence, or if there is one, it generates covered up by Oasis(es?).
Leinfors: The entrances are now random and not guaranteed

-Eater of Souls seem to drop the Burger item too frequently (unless I'm just getting lucky).
Leinfors: Just getting lucky

-Surface Tundra biome seems to generate abnormally small, taking up around the same horizontal size as a single Desert, while there are multiple Deserts per world yet only one Tundra.
Leinfors: I believe this is intended. There have always been many deserts per world and only one snow biome

-Falling Stars seem to be excessively frequent. Sometimes got 40 from a single night without travelling more than 200 blocks in either direction from spawn.
Leinfors: Meteor showers :)

-Owl spawns seem to be excessive when they do spawn, considering how loud they are. It goes from atmospheric to annoying.
Leinfors: We are looking into their spawning and sounds

-RNG seems skewed toward giving certain items. In around 10 Golden Chests, 6 or so have been the new Mace.
Leinfors: Its not skewed, the odds are even

Leinfors: Just bad luck on this one, I checked the code, they are still there

-I may just be used to mods but the extractinator feels excessively slow to use, even slower than 1.3? Not sure. Would be nice to speed it up. Pointless downtime.
Leinfors: Has not been slowed down that I can see.

Leinfors: It actually is, if you measure your jump height, you will see that you jump higher than before

I consider the rest feedback and don't have a particular response to them off the top of my head. :)

Leinfors: I was able to reduce the transparency to fully transparent by shifting the bars around a bit
Hm. Strange, because I've been unable to since updating to 1.4.0.1 and 1.4.0.2.
It's always fully opaque for me. That said, I've tested further and determined the problem:
The opacity slider only functions if the brightness slider is turned way down, meaning you can't have a semi-transparent white border.

Leinfors: Storms are a combination of wind and rain levels; its possible that one just barely became high enough to start a storm just as another was going down and ending the storm
Hm. Fair enough.

Leinfors: This is a recurring issue, I'll look into it
👍

Leinfors: I believe this is intentional, as Jungle trees grow naturally
Hmmm... I feel like they should still drop acorns.
It would prevent people from griefing multiplayer servers by cutting down every tree and trashing the acorns, stopping any new trees from being planted.

Leinfors: Seems expected to me
I feel they should be toned down. Every desert now feels oddly lush, when that should be the exception not the rule for deserts.

Leinfors: Something I've been bringing up recently. I think its a perception bias, but it would be nice to reduce the odds of it happening
Yeah. I checked more and mine has a corruption in the middle of it, and right beside it, leaving only two relatively-small patches of untainted surface jungle which will be absolutely screwed come hardmode. Definitely something that needs tweaking.

Leinfors: Ground level was overall too low before, which has some bad side effects. We've increased it, and this is intended
Huh... 200+ surface level is intended? Seems kinda high to me, considering Underground doesn't start until 0, but if it's to fix issues I suppose it's fair. Does make tunneling down a lot more tedious though.

Leinfors: The entrances are now random and not guaranteed
Much like the change to sword shrines, this is less than ideal. The game's already excessively RNG heavy (especially thanks to the, forgive my frankness, godsawful Luck stat system) and this just adds even more possibilites to get an annoyingly difficult world on generation.

Leinfors: Just getting lucky
Ironic. But okay.

Leinfors: I believe this is intended. There have always been many deserts per world and only one snow biome
Well yes, but I mean the Tundra is about the size of one of those deserts... Despite it being just about as important. Much less surface area.

Leinfors: Meteor showers :)
Hm, I hadn't noticed anything different in the background but maybe that was it.

Leinfors: We are looking into their spawning and sounds
Appreciated!

Leinfors: Its not skewed, the odds are even
Leinfors: Just bad luck on this one, I checked the code, they are still there
Got it, more bad luck...
Actual Luck, not the deterministic but terrible stat Luck.

Leinfors: Has not been slowed down that I can see.
(Again a speed increase would be great. Even just a mere 100 silt takes what feels like nearly 2 minutes to extract, during which time you're just standing there holding the mouse button down and reconsidering your life choices leading to that moment.)

Leinfors: It actually is, if you measure your jump height, you will see that you jump higher than before
I hadn't realized, but upon trying more, you're right. That said, when you jump, your sprite goes back down before doing so, making it look like a shorter jump.
So you go from stool height, back down to around ground height, THEN get an extended jump. It should instead be a normal jump from stool height, since otherwise the "animation" just looks.... buggy.

I consider the rest feedback and don't have a particular response to them off the top of my head. :)
Fair.

Speaking of feedback, please flick whoever came up with the Luck stat, specifically the Torch portion, on the forehead repeatedly to remove other such ideas from their mind before they're implemented.

It would prevent people from griefing multiplayer servers by cutting down every tree and trashing the acorns, stopping any new trees from being planted.
To note, that is already preventable in the longer run since Dryad sells acorns for pretty cheap.

To note, that is already preventable in the longer run since Dryad sells acorns for pretty cheap.
...I had completely forgotten about that. Okay, that's a fair alternative.

...That said, why not make EVERY tree type have a (low) chance of naturally growing on grass/sand/etc. given the right conditions nearby (maybe water within 50 tiles or something)? Would be a nice way to combat deforestation and make the world feel just a bit more alive.

Back
Top Bottom