Game Mechanics Various types of MELEE damage

TheHyperFlame

Spazmatism
Ayo, Terrarians.
Today I wish to present my idea that is supposed to make the game more...funny?
The idea is to make special damage types for melee weapons: swords, spears and hammers (no boomerangs for now, sorry :( ).

So...let's get started.

SWORDS that don't fire any projectiles, AXES and CHAINSAWS will have a SLASHING damage type (instead of basic damage) which is indicated by BRIGHT RED numbers and a chance to WOUND the hit target. This chance is based on sword's SLASHING damage. When this chance triggers, a "WOUNDED" message appears over a hit target, and the target will take damage-over-time based on sword's SLASHING damage. If the target takes several WOUNDS in a short period of time, it will be CRITICALLY WOUNDED and will take massive damage. Chance to WOUND a target grows by 1% with every 10 points of SLASHING damage.

SWORDS that fire projectiles will have two different damage types instead of basic damage: SLASHING (on direct hit) and MISSIVE (on projectile's hit) damage type which is indicated by LIGHT BLUE numbers. MISSIVE type of damage does not have any benefits or special effects.

HAMMERS and FLAILS will have a CRUSHING damage type (instead of basic damage) which is indicated by YELLOW numbers and a chance to STUN the hit target. This chance is based on hammer's CRUSHING damage. When this chance is triggered, a "STUNNED" message will appear over a hit target and enemy will not be able to move or attack for a very short period of time. Triggering a STUN on a STUNNED target will instanty eradicate it. Chance to STUN a target grows by 1% with every 6 points of CRUSHING damage.

SPEARS will have a PIERCING damage type which is indicated by PURPLE numbers. They will have a chance to PIERCE a target's armor. This chance is based on spear's PIERCING damage. Once this chance triggers, a "PIERCED" message appears over a hit target, making it take more PIERCING damage. Armor loss is based on PIERCING damage. PIERCING one enemy several times will trigger a "Broken Armor" debuff. Chance to PIERCE a target grows by 1% with every 7 points of PIERCING damage.

ALL OF THESE EFFECTS CANNOT BE TRIGGERED ON BOSSES.

EXAMPLES:

Pwnhammer
26 crushing damage
4% stunning chance

4% critical strike chance
Average speed
Very strong knockback
80% hammer power

Starfury
31 missive damage
21 slashing damage
2% wounding chance

5% critical strike chance
Very fast speed
Average knockback

Obsidian Swordfish
70 piercing damage
10% piercing chance

24% critical strike chance
Very fast speed

Strong knockback

EXCEPTIONS and NOTES:

Breaker Blade - both CRUSHING and SLASHING damage.

Solar Eruption - SLASHING damage.

Chain Knife
and Chain Guillotines - SLASHING damage.

Sleepy Octopod
- CRUSHING damage.

Sky Dragon's Fury
- both MISSIVE (right click attack) and SLASHING (left click attack)
damage.

Purple Clubberfish
- CRUSHING damage.

All in all...

I know that this idea might be weird, yeah. But however... Hope you'll like it.

Last edited:
UPD: oh gosh, mistake in thread's topic. Sorry me for my trash eng.
You can ask a mod/admin to change the title for you. Click Report for your original post. In the report reason, enter something like "Please change title to 'Various types of MELEE damage'".

Back
Top Bottom