tModLoader Various Weathers

I hopelessly love well done weather mods and you did amazing work, I would like to see more !
All these different weathers make sure it never gets boring, it's always exciting and brings variation to the world.

That being said, multiple users have already mentioned a few issues regarding multiplayer servers and the compatibility of certain weathers.
I suppose I count towards these sort of users aswell, since I am hosting a server for two and we are experiencing a few issues indeed.

Our biggest issue at the moment is the Hurricane event actually. Luckily enough it's a very rare event, but when it happens it will lag and slow down
the entire server extremely hard. (Probably thanks to all kinds of items, projectiles and pretty much everything being pushed around like crazy)
So far the only solution to this is to straight out restart the server to clear the weather, otherwise we have no chance seeing the day.
We didn't experience the dreaded endless Acid Rain yet, but I suppose this would also require a server restart to clear the event up.
Do wonder how rare the Acid Rain event is however, if it happens a lot of times during Hardmode, it will become unbearable.

Would it be possible to disable the weather mod if it becomes too bothersome until fixed for multiplayer ?
Or would that also mean the entire world would break, thanks to the Broken Beacons scattered around said world.
Basically asking if disabling the mod midway would have any negative effects on our world, we don't have experience with that yet.

Advice for temporary solution: Giving us the option to toggle certain weathertypes to not make them appear at all, would be lovely.
This could be done via config with true/false or directly with commands in the game. (Or you already made that happen and I am a goof)

I hopelessly love well done weather mods and you did amazing work, I would like to see more !
All these different weathers make sure it never gets boring, it's always exciting and brings variation to the world.

That being said, multiple users have already mentioned a few issues regarding multiplayer servers and the compatibility of certain weathers.
I suppose I count towards these sort of users aswell, since I am hosting a server for two and we are experiencing a few issues indeed.

Our biggest issue at the moment is the Hurricane event actually. Luckily enough it's a very rare event, but when it happens it will lag and slow down
the entire server extremely hard. (Probably thanks to all kinds of items, projectiles and pretty much everything being pushed around like crazy)
So far the only solution to this is to straight out restart the server to clear the weather, otherwise we have no chance seeing the day.
We didn't experience the dreaded endless Acid Rain yet, but I suppose this would also require a server restart to clear the event up.
Do wonder how rare the Acid Rain event is however, if it happens a lot of times during Hardmode, it will become unbearable.

Would it be possible to disable the weather mod if it becomes too bothersome until fixed for multiplayer ?
Or would that also mean the entire world would break, thanks to the Broken Beacons scattered around said world.
Basically asking if disabling the mod midway would have any negative effects on our world, we don't have experience with that yet.

Advice for temporary solution: Giving us the option to toggle certain weathertypes to not make them appear at all, would be lovely.
This could be done via config with true/false or directly with commands in the game. (Or you already made that happen and I am a goof)
I agree with the need for a config. If there is one, I've yet to find it. I imgaine that's waiting until tModLoader 0.11 (where configs will be much easier to make).
That said, removing the mod, to my knowledge, shouldn't have any major effects. Any blocks it adds (to my knowledge, only the broken beacons and repaired beacons) would be replaced with placeholder tModLoader pink blocks which are ugly but not a problem at all (except when you're removing a mod that adds chests or whole new biomes), and the beacons would re-replace the placeholders if the mod was re-added at a later date.

Well, here's another one.
So the peaceful day "weather". Is that supposed to affect underground, caverns, etc?
Because it does, making the water everywhere glowy too. Which on one hand is great for caving. On the other hand, it's odd to have ducks and bunnies and squirrels spawning halfway to the underworld.
But ah, if Tremors start after Peaceful Day is active, they will cancel out the Peaceful Day in underground and below, removing the regen, glowing water, etc., and allowing enemies to spawn. But only underground. This feels like it's not an interaction that should happen? Assuming Peaceful Day affecting underground is intended in the first place.

Got our first Meteor Shower.
Badbad experience.
The phasmawhatever blobs should not be able to move through walls. Having any common enemy that moves through walls, badbad.
We were both getting random, constant poison effects. Don't know if that was the meteors or what. Either way, badbad.
Went underground, probes started spawning. Those should be kept to the surface given that's where meteors affect, notgoodnotgood.
The blobs were also buggy and would randomly fly into the floor at high speeds only to go offscreen then teleport back on top of you moments later unless you juggled them in the air with a fast weapon. Badbad.

The free meteorite was nice though, I suppose. And it's pretty.
But did pretty well ruin our plans to fight a boss that night. Or do much of anything else.
Tl;Dr: Meteor showers could use a bit of work, kinda frustrating as-is.

That was kinda sad. A hurricane lagged the server so hard, that trying to save the server ended up
with the corruption of the world files and there was no way to restore it either. Sadly an entire world lost.
I will have to deactivate the mod for now, but will come back to it once it becomes more stable for multiplayer.

On a side note: I need to agree with Yvori up there. The Meteor Shower is indeed pretty, but the poison blobs are obnoxious.
They have a tendency to weirdly teleport/lag around, some would just "vanish" when you hit them aswell. Also during multiplayer
people sometimes don't see the blobs, so you are asking your friend: "Wait what did you just attack there" -> "A mean poison blob"
The poison effect isn't random either Yvori, it seems to be just a radius around the enemy, and once entered it poisons you.

Other things noticed:
1: Heavy Wind debuff is sometimes a bit weird, it often affects you in strange spots and even somewhat underground.

2: Peaceful Weather REALLY shouldn't affect underground in my opinion. You know what else it does ? That is right.
It gives you free access to the dungeon before Skeletron is even defeated. Dungeon Guardian does not spawn.

3: Events such as Butterfly Swarm should also only affect the surface, as it turns everything into a light version of peaceful weather.
And by that I simply mean it does seem to cut spawnrates by a lot, which is a bit annoying when you want to fight things underground.

4: Firefly Swarm + Bloodmoon + Blue Candle (Not sure if it affects critter spawnrate aswell) = H u g e A m o u n t O f F i r e f l i e s
Not saying it's bad, it was quite fun actually and one person managed to catch 350 fireflies in one night, securing our fishing needs.

5: Normal Sandstorms in our desert don't even exist anymore, I saw maybe one or two for about 20-30 seconds each on a world
with 40 hours playtime. This doesn't affect pre-hardmode much, but it does for hardmode as it prevents the spawn of certain enemies.
(Sandsharks + Sand Elemental. Dunesplicers also spawn on the surface during a Sandstorm)

I am finished with my weather report, keep up the good work !

That was kinda sad. A hurricane lagged the server so hard, that trying to save the server ended up
with the corruption of the world files and there was no way to restore it either. Sadly an entire world lost.
I will have to deactivate the mod for now, but will come back to it once it becomes more stable for multiplayer.

On a side note: I need to agree with Yvori up there. The Meteor Shower is indeed pretty, but the poison blobs are obnoxious.
They have a tendency to weirdly teleport/lag around, some would just "vanish" when you hit them aswell. Also during multiplayer
people sometimes don't see the blobs, so you are asking your friend: "Wait what did you just attack there" -> "A mean poison blob"
The poison effect isn't random either Yvori, it seems to be just a radius around the enemy, and once entered it poisons you.

Other things noticed:
1: Heavy Wind debuff is sometimes a bit weird, it often affects you in strange spots and even somewhat underground.

2: Peaceful Weather REALLY shouldn't affect underground in my opinion. You know what else it does ? That is right.
It gives you free access to the dungeon before Skeletron is even defeated. Dungeon Guardian does not spawn.

3: Events such as Butterfly Swarm should also only affect the surface, as it turns everything into a light version of peaceful weather.
And by that I simply mean it does seem to cut spawnrates by a lot, which is a bit annoying when you want to fight things underground.

4: Firefly Swarm + Bloodmoon + Blue Candle (Not sure if it affects critter spawnrate aswell) = H u g e A m o u n t O f F i r e f l i e s
Not saying it's bad, it was quite fun actually and one person managed to catch 350 fireflies in one night, securing our fishing needs.

5: Normal Sandstorms in our desert don't even exist anymore, I saw maybe one or two for about 20-30 seconds each on a world
with 40 hours playtime. This doesn't affect pre-hardmode much, but it does for hardmode as it prevents the spawn of certain enemies.
(Sandsharks + Sand Elemental. Dunesplicers also spawn on the surface during a Sandstorm)

I am finished with my weather report, keep up the good work !
I don’t think anything in the mod precludes sandstorms, but I’ll look into it.

Sorry all, progress has been a little slow as school ramps up toward the end of the year :)

It's fine that progress is slow!

Also uh, is the Bloodskaal blade supposed to be craftable with only 10 Souls of Light at a Mythril Anvil?
That feels like a strange recipe.

Edit:
Also, it appears an Ash Storm can happen at the same time as a Solar Eclipse. Another interaction that just doesn't feel right.

Also...
upload_2019-5-22_22-30-0.png

There was so much rain, that rain particles just stopped rendering entirely. (Also the "Infinite Acid Storm" bug occured so yeah)

Last edited:
Hey heres a suggestion.I think you should make like a volcano geysers coming from the ground and the message will be The underworld is overflowing... or something like that and players have to build sky bases to survive.Make lava themed monsters too like a lava golem,etc.Please reply and thank you.I love all the mods made by yoou.

Thank you guys for all your continuous bug reports! I've managed to take some time to resolve a few. If you'd like to see what exactly has been fixed, suggest some ideas, or remind me about stuff I've forgotten to fix, I highly advise you join our discord!

Sorry, am not in the discord to confirm if these have been reported/fixed already, but a few more:
1. During cold fronts, it appears that ice slimes can spawn in the underworld.
2. As stated in a previous post, the BloodSkaal blade can be crafted with only Souls of Light. When shown in Recipe Browser or Magic Storage Crafting Interface, it shows as requiring [a blank square] and souls of light, so I'd say an ingredient is missing. Additionally, after I completely disconnected my Magic Storage system, I was still able to craft the BloodSkaal blade despite not even having any souls of light in my inventory or the disconnected crafting interface, which also had no crafting tables in its storage. I assume this is due to the bugginess caused by the missing ingredient in its recipe (as it didn't occur with any other item). If it turns out to actually be a fluke on MS's part somehow, I'll post there, but I'd rather the recipe get sorted out first to be sure.
3. Any and all sandstorm triggering items do not function in multiplayer with Various Weathers. I assume it's Various Weathers causing this one, anyway, as I've heard there being issues with Vanilla Sandstorms not working quite right with it in the past- In Singleplayer, they work fine and toggle the sandstorm on and off (although far fewer sandstorm enemies spawn than usual), but in Multiplayer, the sandstorm starts for about a second then just cuts out, and vise-versa if one already happening is toggled off.
4. In Multiplayer, again, one player logged in just after a Tranquil Winds started. It refused to show on the Weather Station for them, despite them having the buff it gives in a radius. (Yes I am referring to the placeable object, not the Weather Radio Vanilla accessory).

Is this fully compatible with the biggest content mods like Spirit, Calamity, Thorium, Tremor, and so on? Any issues in multiplayer, etc?

Also, I see the author switched focus on the original part of the mod (weather) and started adding new items and weapons, which is a sure way to add too much clutter and break delicate vanilla/intermod balance if not done correctly. How overpowered are the new items? Anything that makes the game noticeably easier than it should be?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Is this fully compatible with the biggest content mods like Spirit, Calamity, Thorium, Tremor, and so on? Any issues in multiplayer, etc?

Also, I see the author switched focus on the original part of the mod (weather) and started adding new items and weapons, which is a sure way to add too much clutter and break delicate vanilla/intermod balance if not done correctly. How overpowered are the new items? Anything that makes the game noticeably easier than it should be?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
The mod should work fine with larger mods. There are some issues in multiplayer that have been discussed at length, but no cross-mod conflict I can think of.

There aren’t more than a handful of items per weather event. While I don’t think I added anything overpowered, I’d be happy to get some feedback on that- OP gear is not my intention.

The mod should work fine with larger mods. There are some issues in multiplayer that have been discussed at length, but no cross-mod conflict I can think of.

There aren’t more than a handful of items per weather event. While I don’t think I added anything overpowered, I’d be happy to get some feedback on that- OP gear is not my intention.
If anything, a few items feel a tad underpowered. In particular, the ashstorms aren't very common, are hardmode only, and the enemies that spawn in them are pretty tough and don't drop materials all too often. I found that, at least, the magic weapons crafted from their materials to be kind of underwhelming compared to even vanilla stuff I had in early hardmode.

Speaking of those, however- The Netch Staff... or whatever it was called- It says it spawns "tentacles" but the effect doesn't feel very tentacley. Perhaps look into the Shadowflame Hex Doll's effect. A 360-degree on-cursor version of something like that would be pretty darn awesome. Also very tentacley.
Also the Morrowind references are awesome, though I do worry about copyright issues... Granted lots of mods have far more infringing content than just using names of things so... Hm...

Ah. Another one.
So, it seems that after rebooting the server to deal with yet another endless acid rain, now despite there being NO special weathers, both Ice Biome AND Acid Rain enemies are spawning literally everywhere. Ocean, Desert, Town, etc. This is after a server reboot. Mind you, I didn't actually physically close the command prompt and server program, but I'd hope I wouldn't have to. Hopefully a full server shutdown including the server program itself will resolve this.

Edit:
And another oneeeee. Crashed randomly while flying a bit too fast for the server to load terrain. But the crash wasn't about terrain loading, it was about the Ashstorm. Trying to rejoin the server would cause the same crash to occur again.
upload_2019-5-30_19-22-20.png

As expected, completely closing my client and re-opening it fixed the issue, and I was able to re-join.
Strangely, there was no Ashstorm when I rejoined, nor when I crashed. There was the smaller ash "rain" or whatever it is called, however, when I crashed initially.

I believe this has something to do with the smaller ash "rain" that occurs without being a fullblown storm. I sometimes notice if I move, the ash doesn't update right, and suddenly a big pile of the stuff will all "bunch up" on one end of the screen while the rest of the screen is clear of it until it catches up and starts spawning there. Terraria's default weathers don't do this, so not sure what the cause is. My guess is that too many particles tried to spawn at once and the game panicked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom