tModLoader Various Weathers

https://puu.sh/D4BQy/c964955fe0.jpg

Not when you log on during the middle of a weather event; you only get to see what it is if you're already logged in at the moment it begins. Is this a glitch or an intended feature?
Also, what's the purpose of the climate surveyor identifying special weather when special weather is seemingly supposed to always be identified regardless..?

https://puu.sh/D4BQy/c964955fe0.jpg

Not when you log on during the middle of a weather event; you only get to see what it is if you're already logged in at the moment it begins. Is this a glitch or an intended feature?
Also, what's the purpose of the climate surveyor identifying special weather when special weather is seemingly supposed to always be identified regardless..?
Defo a MP bug.

I think what it means by identifying special weather is that ti's a portable station.

This mod is awesome, but I've been noticing I don't get too many clear days. Also, as cool as it was fighting the goblin army during a thunderstorm (with hail?) is lighting supposed to pierce through the ground into caves?
I’m working on the lightning projectile- for some reason it clips into the geound even though the code says it explicitly should not. Are there any events you’d like to see toned down in occurrence?
Hey, players on my server have reported some pretty severe lag during acid rain, that it's inconvenient not to have a clear indicator of what weather they're dealing with when they log on during the middle of an unknown weather event, that hardmode ice enemies can spawn in pre-hardmode during certain weather events, and that this mod may be responsible for ice enemies spawning in every biome sometimes (a glitch? an intended feature?), so for the time being I've uninstalled it. Is there any chance you might make the displayed weather something that can be configured to always be displayed, regardless of whether or not players have the right item in their inventory to display it, and that these other things might be improved upon too?
Unsure what the lag issue is, we’ll look into it. The whole hardmode enemies issue was fixed two patches ago, and, my experience on mp servers seems to be fine with climate surveyors or meteorological scanners. I’m unsure if I’ll make a way to see weathers all the time, as it renders the aforementioned methods obsolete. We definitely will iron out mo bugs, though!

I sure do hope it's compatible with overhaul, So far I havn't had messages pop up but I have had wind effects.

Also, I think you should make it so heatwaves dry grass out and it becomes dirt and then you have to plant grass seeds to fix it again. (or just let it grow back naturally)

Edit: Nevermind, found out its compatible on a comment above. I just went on a boss rush so maybe it was because I didn't defeat any bosses? Also, I've just found an ash storm (which is obviously in this mod as it wasn't there before.)

Last edited:
I sure do hope it's compatible with overhaul, So far I havn't had messages pop up but I have had wind effects.

Also, I think you should make it so heatwaves dry grass out and it becomes dirt and then you have to plant grass seeds to fix it again. (or just let it grow back naturally)

Edit: Nevermind, found out its compatible on a comment above. I just went on a boss rush so maybe it was because I didn't defeat any bosses? Also, I've just found an ash storm (which is obviously in this mod as it wasn't there before.)
There are no more messages to indicate events. Consider buying a Climate Surveyor from the Goblin Tinkerer if you are in hardmode :)

Last edited:
I’m working on the lightning projectile- for some reason it clips into the geound even though the code says it explicitly should not. Are there any events you’d like to see toned down in occurrence?

It's not specific events. I've just noticed that I seem to get events more frequently overall. Which could be bad luck, or just a side effect of having more events to roll. Although, a possible "solution" if this even is a real issue could be to introduce some positive events as well. For instance, a "Beautiful Day" weather that is like clear weather, with maybe slightly higher brightness above ground, maybe some flower petal particles (or sparkles in snow biomes), where players get the Happiness buff anywhere on the surface. Or a "Peaceful" weather that gives lower enemy spawn rates, and maybe makes butterflies and other peaceful mobs slightly more likely to spawn. I'm not sure how you'd represent "Looks like a great day for some fishing!" but a neutral weather that gives better fishing power and reduced chance of lines breaking would be another one that could be used to skew the tables.

If you're taking suggestions in general, I could also suggest some less beneficial weathers, though.
  • Dust Storm (A dust storm is kicking up.): Like a sandstorm, it impedes visibility, but can occur in Forest biomes.
  • Eerie Night (Something spooky is happening tonight.): Perhaps a little darker than a normal night, a few drifting "will-o-the-wisp" particles. Could have effects like undead getting regeneration, or additional spirit enemies spawning. To keep things vanilla, the added enemies could just be a small chance of ravens and cursed skulls spawning outdoors (and maybe some of the Pumpkin Moon enemies in Hardmode).
  • Red/Violet Tide (Something dark stirs in the oceans.): Similar to the Jellyfish Swarm, but consisting of Crimson/Corruption themed sea creatures, darkened skies near the oceans, and the ability for enemies from those biomes to spawn in the ocean biomes (as though the oceans were corrupton/crimson until the event is over).
  • Aurora (Aurora Borealis? At this time of year?): A bit meme-y, but a hardmode nighttime weather that puts pretty lights in the sky and causes all types of pigron to spawn anywhere on the surface.
  • Fog (A fog is rolling in./It's like pea soup outside!/Something's moving in the fog...): Various forms of foggy weather that can happen day or night to add an obscuring filter to the world and reduce the effectiveness of light sources. Could come in Light, Dense, and Eerie varieties, with the lattermost being Silent Hill inspired and full of dangerous creatures.
  • Wild Magic (Wild magic is surging!): Terraria is a world with magic, so why not a magical weather? Crazy colours, twinkles in the air, normal enemies teleporting around, and occasional projectiles from nowhere with random effects (including getting teleported yourself).

It's not specific events. I've just noticed that I seem to get events more frequently overall. Which could be bad luck, or just a side effect of having more events to roll. Although, a possible "solution" if this even is a real issue could be to introduce some positive events as well. For instance, a "Beautiful Day" weather that is like clear weather, with maybe slightly higher brightness above ground, maybe some flower petal particles (or sparkles in snow biomes), where players get the Happiness buff anywhere on the surface. Or a "Peaceful" weather that gives lower enemy spawn rates, and maybe makes butterflies and other peaceful mobs slightly more likely to spawn. I'm not sure how you'd represent "Looks like a great day for some fishing!" but a neutral weather that gives better fishing power and reduced chance of lines breaking would be another one that could be used to skew the tables.

If you're taking suggestions in general, I could also suggest some less beneficial weathers, though.
  • Dust Storm (A dust storm is kicking up.): Like a sandstorm, it impedes visibility, but can occur in Forest biomes.
  • Eerie Night (Something spooky is happening tonight.): Perhaps a little darker than a normal night, a few drifting "will-o-the-wisp" particles. Could have effects like undead getting regeneration, or additional spirit enemies spawning. To keep things vanilla, the added enemies could just be a small chance of ravens and cursed skulls spawning outdoors (and maybe some of the Pumpkin Moon enemies in Hardmode).
  • Red/Violet Tide (Something dark stirs in the oceans.): Similar to the Jellyfish Swarm, but consisting of Crimson/Corruption themed sea creatures, darkened skies near the oceans, and the ability for enemies from those biomes to spawn in the ocean biomes (as though the oceans were corrupton/crimson until the event is over).
  • Aurora (Aurora Borealis? At this time of year?): A bit meme-y, but a hardmode nighttime weather that puts pretty lights in the sky and causes all types of pigron to spawn anywhere on the surface.
  • Fog (A fog is rolling in./It's like pea soup outside!/Something's moving in the fog...): Various forms of foggy weather that can happen day or night to add an obscuring filter to the world and reduce the effectiveness of light sources. Could come in Light, Dense, and Eerie varieties, with the lattermost being Silent Hill inspired and full of dangerous creatures.
  • Wild Magic (Wild magic is surging!): Terraria is a world with magic, so why not a magical weather? Crazy colours, twinkles in the air, normal enemies teleporting around, and occasional projectiles from nowhere with random effects (including getting teleported yourself).
Darn, I really need to update that forum page! A lot of these ideas have already been implemented! We do have such an event, called Tranquil Winds, that reduce hostile spawns and increase critter spawns, couple with a pretty leaf spawns. We also have Butterfly and Firefly spawns, Boreal Auroras, Ashfalls, Ash Storm, and much more!

Whoops! Guess I should have read through the whole thing. I have two more for Hardmode, though.

Blight Storm (Something foul is in the air.): Unlike the ones in Morrowind, that bring disease, this would just be bad weather that temporarily allows Corruption/Crimson enemies to spawn everywhere.

Fairy Wind (The old magic is running wild!): An antithesis to blight storms that allows Hallow creatures to spawn everywhere instead.

Version 1.0.0.5 is out! Another bugfixing and balancing update for you all. Download on the Mod Browser or with this mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h3n2rodvwq4a6b8/Events.tmod/file

- Meteor sky shader is now no longer shown everywhere and is far less intense
- Enemies from cold fronts or hailstorms no longer spawn in invasions, moons, etc, as well as other event enemies
- Ashfalls and storms are now always windy so ash isn't wonky
- Reduced wall requirements for shelter (now will work even if there's no wall on the floor)
- Meteorological Scanner now does not require wire but instead lenses to make it easier to obtain
- Changed the rarities of some items
- Decreased Tarsap Spawn Chances
- Made tremor ore and gems spawn from ash as well as stone

did i mention this mod is NECESSARY for every modplayrun??
good music, interactive event.

Yuyu you need to update the event picture or i will get you some pic for you if dont have time :p

Impressive mod! May I throw in a few more ideas?

Scarlet Sun - Pre-Hardmode Solar Eclipse. Comes up rarely, but you'll be thankful that it does come up rarely.
Blossoming Night - Exclusive to Mod of Redemption. Mobs that appear during the day can show up at night.
Unforgiving Blizzard - Exclusive to Antiaris. You are constantly chilled and frozen solid if you get anywhere in water. You'll need a Warmth Potion to deal with this.
Wasteland Winds - Exclusive to Mod of Redemption. The place is constantly engulfed in the Wasteland's winds, giving all the debuffs that being in the Wasteland offers. You'll either need a "Anti-Infection Potion" or have the "Infected Core" to negate the effects.
It's Raining Men - Exclusive to Calamity. Guns are raining like cats and dogs and are shooting freakin' everywhere.

Scarlet Sun - Pre-Hardmode Solar Eclipse. Comes up rarely, but you'll be thankful that it does come up rarely.
Blossoming Night - Exclusive to Mod of Redemption. Mobs that appear during the day can show up at night.
Unforgiving Blizzard - Exclusive to Antiaris. You are constantly chilled and frozen solid if you get anywhere in water. You'll need a Warmth Potion to deal with this.
Wasteland Winds - Exclusive to Mod of Redemption. The place is constantly engulfed in the Wasteland's winds, giving all the debuffs that being in the Wasteland offers. You'll either need a "Anti-Infection Potion" or have the "Infected Core" to negate the effects.
It's Raining Men - Exclusive to Calamity. Guns are raining like cats and dogs and are shooting freakin' everywhere.
I'm no modder, but is it possible to have content from external mods only occur if another mod is active? That sounds pretty tough, but someone's welcome to prove me wrong.

When push comes to shove, I guess i'll have to do some suggestions too.
Bloody rain - Looks gross and gives the grossed out debuff.
Ominous Night - Everything is darker, and feels more dangerous. It might not be a good idea to wander in the darkness... The grue is waiting for you.
Night of the Undead - Zombie and skeleton spawn rate increased a lot.
Peaceful Night - No spawns... What happened?
Night Time Ambush - Goblins spawn during night like normal enemies(no invasion spawn rate, only after goblin invasion is won).
Aerial Raid - Sky monsters spawn at surface level.
Spooky Dusk - Bats, bats everywhere(and vampires post mechs).
Day of Eruption - Solar monsters can spawn(only after plantera) and fireballs rain on the surface.
Autumn Harvest - Shrooms and pumpkins yield double.
Singularity Outbreak - Vortex pillar shenaningans.

Too lazy to think of more, sorry.

PS: Weak references are really easy.

I'm no modder, but is it possible to have content from external mods only occur if another mod is active? That sounds pretty tough, but someone's welcome to prove me wrong.

Plenty possible. Alchemist NPC and Fargo's Mutant Mod both rely on the ability to detect if another mod is present or not. Antiaris has content that only shows up with Thorium, and a quest that you only get with Terraria Overhaul. That's just off the top of my head, but compatibility features are, if not common, at least not rare.

So, some thoughts on these.

• Scarlet Sun: This has some problems. First of all, no matter how rare it is, RNGesus is fickle, and may decide to have it happen three days in a row, with blood moons in-between. Secondly, if it's using the normal Solar Eclipse spawns, then it's less a cool event, and more "Every so often, the map will just kill you and all your NPCs a bunch. Hope you weren't doing anything important...or playing on Hardcore."
  • Blossoming Night: Honestly, I don't see why this would have to be specific to a certain mod. A night event where it stays "day" all night, with a brighter night and some flower petal particles, sounds like just a fun normal event.
  • Unforgiving Blizzard: Let's simplify. Going anywhere an absolute chore because you move at a snail's pace. Combat sucks for the same reason. If you fall into water without a specific buff on, you die in the most tediously slow way possible. Sounds un-fun, but possibly in Hardmode, and if the freezing effect wasn't instant.
  • Wasteland Winds: ...I'm not actually familiar enough with the Mod of Redemption to comment on this.
  • It's Raining Men: Did you just assume that all men like guns? Kidding! It's bloody ridiculous and sounds awesome.
When push comes to shove, I guess i'll have to do some suggestions too.
Bloody rain - Looks gross and gives the grossed out debuff.
Ominous Night - Everything is darker, and feels more dangerous. It might not be a good idea to wander in the darkness... The grue is waiting for you.
Night of the Undead - Zombie and skeleton spawn rate increased a lot.
Peaceful Night - No spawns... What happened?
Night Time Ambush - Goblins spawn during night like normal enemies(no invasion spawn rate, only after goblin invasion is won).
Aerial Raid - Sky monsters spawn at surface level.
Spooky Dusk - Bats, bats everywhere(and vampires post mechs).
Day of Eruption - Solar monsters can spawn(only after plantera) and fireballs rain on the surface.
Autumn Harvest - Shrooms and pumpkins yield double.
Singularity Outbreak - Vortex pillar shenaningans.

Too lazy to think of more, sorry.

PS: Weak references are really easy.

Actually going to comment on these too...

• Bloody Rain: Why not make this a Hardmode weather where vampires spawn, and the player gets a debuff that lets enemies heal off of them? (Visually, a red version of the dripping slime effect.)
  • Ominous Night: Very similar to one of my suggestions, so of course I like it.
  • Night of the Undead: You had the chance to call this "Night of the Living Dead", and you didn't go for it.
  • Peaceful Night: This could be frustrating at times, but also a great chance to summon a boss.
  • Night Time Ambush: Not really a "weather", but a cool idea for an event.
  • Aerial Raid: I had a similar idea to this, but didn't suggest it because it wasn't really weather-related. The only difference was that my idea would have been limited to harpies.
  • Spooky Dusk: As per above, I think this should just be the blood rain.
  • Day of Eruption: Feels weird without days for all the pillars. Could also be pretty punishing. That said, move it to post-Golem, make it fairly rare, fairly low spawn rates, give the enemies a small chance to drop a few of their pillar fragments, and add one for all the pillars, this could be a cool extra (especially if it supported mod pillar types (like Thorium's Celestial and Shooting Star fragments, or the Quasar Fragments from Sacred Tools).
  • Autumn Harvest: Nice, but feels like it's missing something.
  • Singularity Outbreak: Everything I said for Day of Eruption applies here too.

Last edited:
Isn't there already "bloody rain" when it rains during a blood moon or in the Crimson? And while "It's raining men" sounds interesting, it would make for some terrible building conditions and some pretty annoying days once you've got tired of it.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! We’ve already got some of the events you’ve suggested in mind, and we’re set to start progress on the next content update this weekend! I’m really happy that you guys are providing good feedback and suggesting stuff for the mod- we really appreciate it :)

Plenty possible. Alchemist NPC and Fargo's Mutant Mod both rely on the ability to detect if another mod is present or not. Antiaris has content that only shows up with Thorium, and a quest that you only get with Terraria Overhaul. That's just off the top of my head, but compatibility features are, if not common, at least not rare.

So, some thoughts on these.

• Scarlet Sun: This has some problems. First of all, no matter how rare it is, RNGesus is fickle, and may decide to have it happen three days in a row, with blood moons in-between. Secondly, if it's using the normal Solar Eclipse spawns, then it's less a cool event, and more "Every so often, the map will just kill you and all your NPCs a bunch. Hope you weren't doing anything important...or playing on Hardcore."
  • Blossoming Night: Honestly, I don't see why this would have to be specific to a certain mod. A night event where it stays "day" all night, with a brighter night and some flower petal particles, sounds like just a fun normal event.
  • Unforgiving Blizzard: Let's simplify. Going anywhere an absolute chore because you move at a snail's pace. Combat sucks for the same reason. If you fall into water without a specific buff on, you die in the most tediously slow way possible. Sounds un-fun, but possibly in Hardmode, and if the freezing effect wasn't instant.
  • Wasteland Winds: ...I'm not actually familiar enough with the Mod of Redemption to comment on this.
  • It's Raining Men: Did you just assume that all men like guns? Kidding! It's bloody ridiculous and sounds awesome.

That was the intent for Scarlet Sun, only that the kicker is that the mobs have half HP while within the weather. Sure it's frustrating as all hell, but it'll stop once the Wall of Flesh is defeated

That so? I only thought the focus of nature (something of MoD's style, alongside the Infected Wastelands) would had been nice. It will drive you nuts during Hardmode, since that qualifies as both Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse at once if the Blood Moon takes place

Remember Tremor? This Weather condition sure as hell does. (You are given a timer to GTFO of water before being frozen solid.)

One major factor of MoD is the whole "Infection" factor, and having specialized effects change the land like an infection (oh hello, Corruption/Crimson). It is useful in regards for farming some useful stuff.

Grab your nets and bullet-proof armor

Some moar Weather Effects:

Healing Rainstorm - "It's raining cats and dogs out there, but your life has never felt better while directly under it." (While under the bright-blue rain, you have massively increased HP Regen)
The Black Forest (AlchemistNPC exclusive) - "It's the dead of night, and not a single zombie bothered to leave their graves. Perhaps if you saw it's eyes, maybe you'll understand too." (Same like Peaceful Night, but if you don't stay close to your spawn point throughout the entire pitch-black night, you'll come face to face with a Post-Golem Boss during your Pre-Hardmode travels)
Eternal Constant - "Charlie, this isn't your place. Please leave for both of our sakes..." (You will be constantly taking massive damage as long as you are not near a light source nor using any sort of Shine Potions)
Philistine Night (Mod of Redemption exclusive) - "Keep the Garden of Madness close. And your Tome stones closer..." (Night version of the Traveling Merchant, but instead of a chipper merchant, you'll have a undead assassin whom has been collecting some nice stuff. Pays in your grave markers and other tome stones.)
Color of Madness - "With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos…" (Meteors drop twice as often, and leave nasty surprises for if you wish to seek out such treasures)
Freeza's Forces (Dragonball Z Mod exclusive) - "Seems that someone wanted to destroy Terraria. Prove him wrong." (Sayain Mobs appear at random and drops all Pre-hardmode crystals and some useful gear)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom