Veteran

Do you agree with my argument, or do you like the new inventory menu?

• Total voters
If my compensation was an ugly vanity suit I’m going to kms.

Seriously?

Overdramatic, much?

Anyways, I had to comment on that before going any further with anything else. With that said...

Welcome to the forums!

I imagine a lot of new console 1.3 players who haven't played the PC version are lurking about and I've been meaning to get on to try to help people transition, but at any rate...

If you want good Melee Armor, then I suggest going the Turtle->Beetle Route. I highly doubt Dragon Armor was better than Turtle or Beetle Armor, and if it was it couldn't have been by much. The PC never had Dragon Armor, and the progression felt smooth and even, from Beetle straight to Solar. So my suggestion to you, is to get some Turtle Armor somehow and then upgrade it to Beetle (IMO, I'd take the tank armor -- the damage reduction is insane) and eventually, go knock off the Moon Lord when you've enough and get yourself that sweet Solar.

You'll forget Dragon Armor ever existed once you wear that awesome suit of orange glowing armor.

Seriously?

Overdramatic, much?

Anyways, I had to comment on that before going any further with anything else. With that said...

Welcome to the forums!

I imagine a lot of new console 1.3 players who haven't played the PC version are lurking about and I've been meaning to get on to try to help people transition, but at any rate...

If you want good Melee Armor, then I suggest going the Turtle->Beetle Route. I highly doubt Dragon Armor was better than Turtle or Beetle Armor, and if it was it couldn't have been by much. The PC never had Dragon Armor, and the progression felt smooth and even, from Beetle straight to Solar. So my suggestion to you, is to get some Turtle Armor somehow and then upgrade it to Beetle (IMO, I'd take the tank armor -- the damage reduction is insane) and eventually, go knock off the Moon Lord when you've enough and get yourself that sweet Solar.

You'll forget Dragon Armor ever existed once you wear that awesome suit of orange glowing armor.
Dragon Armor was actually an extremely valid choice, I haven't played console for years but if I remember correctly it had similar defense to turtle and far more dramatic damage and speed buffs. It was a really interesting alternate choice and I think it's a shame they didn't just try to reincorporate it into the game somehow, as they should have done with most of these exclusives they've decided to remove on hypocritical grounds.

Dragon Armor was also definitely the most stylish spritework when it came to armor. I'm not at all a fan of the celestial appearance.

Okay, so they had insanely overpowered junk in the console. I can see why it was removed TBH. I've heard people saying the console stuff was overpowered, but yeesh. That's a bit much to be honest.

And if Dragon Armor wasn't the reason for the post, you seemed to have spent a lot of time talking about it and how much you don't like how it was changed.

As far as the rest of the stuff, well.... that's kinda the consequences of playing on console -- you have less resources to work with, therefore you get less game. There's not really much the Terraria team can do about that. They wanted to standardize the game across all platforms so that everybody could get updates faster and easier, but the sad fact of it is, current-gen consoles just can't handle the game as well as most PCs can.

I mean sure, you CAN plan it on a console, but it was never recommended in the first place. It's a primarily mouse-driven game, and you're trying to kludge controller controls into it, and you're just not going to get a good experience.

As for why they changed the menus... again, standardization makes the game easier to develop and is a lot less work for the developers. Both Console and PC platforms have the same UI, anytime the UI needs updated, they only have to do it once instead of having to do it twice. Now, if the PC's UI sucks with a controller.... well... I don't know what to tell you other than look into PS4 compatible mice and keyboards (if there are any). If PS4 can't do KB/Mouse, then I suppose Sony (and Microsoft) need to understand that this is 2017 and keyboards and mice tend to be the de facto control method for quite a few games (such as FPS) and should start supporting them.

"BUT!", you might say... "If I'm using Mouse+KB, I might as well do it on PC!" ..... absolutely.

This is why I do not understand console fanbois (not accusing you of being one, btw). PS and Xbox are using PC-compatible hardware, which means they ARE PCs with a proprietary OS and a proprietary mainboard. If, for example, Dell decided to ship its own Operating System along with their PCs, they would basically be what a console is. That's really the only difference between XB/PS and something like Dell; Dell actually uses Windows as an OS unlike the XB/PS does.

EDIT: Fun little fact... you can jailbreak a PS or an XB and get it to run Windows, in which case it looks and acts just like a PC, albeit a severely underpowered one.

So.... if you're basically using PC hardware, you might as well just go whole hog and just use the PC TBH. Consoles are becoming more like PCs, and Terraria is yet one more example. I imagine developers are tired of Sony and MS and their little special clubhouses that force developers to have to port games across platforms just to reach their entire audience because two companies think that they need to have their special little clubhouse instead of simply joining the rest of us in the PC world.

PCs can do everything a console can, and so much more. You can build decent gaming rigs for 400-500, which isn't much more than the price of a console (cheaper if you get rid of the online multiplayer subscription fees, and the fact you need to buy a new system every other year, while PCs tend to last 4-5 years).

So ya, sorry about the tangent, but the sooner gamers wake up and see the writing on the wall, the happier they will be when they make the switch. Nothing stopping you from hooking that PC up to the very same TV your consoles are currently hooked up. PC realizes that to win, they need to make themselves compatible with the consoles. Consoles are dead-set in their hubris that they should be segregated. They give you all the cons but few of the pros.

Just stay PC. You'll be happier.

I said it was underpowered, because... well, lemme pull up some specs for you:

PS4:

CPU: 8-Core AMD 64bit 1.6Ghz Jaguar
RAM: 8GB GDDR5
GPU: Integrated into the CPU (which means it draws from the 8GB of System RAM)
HDD: 500GB, can be upgraded to 1TB and has SSD slot

I couldn't find the PS4 Pro specs, but those are a slice higher.

My PC, that I built 6 years ago:

CPU: 6-Core AMD 64bit 3.5Ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: GeForce 660 GTX 2GB
HDD: 1TB

So, a few notes here, since I'm using a dedicated GPU card in my PC, my CPU does not have to draw from system RAM to process graphics which is always the superior option. The PS4 has GDDR5 RAM which is faster than DDR3, but yet I have twice as much capacity (and more so, because my GPU isn't drawing from it unlike the PS4).

Now, I built a Ryzen3 system just a few months ago for $490 (which isn't that much higher!) and it has...

CPU: AMD Ryzen3 4-Core 3.5Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR4
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 2GB

And I stuck an old HDD in it that I already had laying around. Now, it's 2 cores less, but the processor is much faster than my 6-core one, and the graphics card is miles better. Half as much RAM, but faster.

I don't know about the PS4 pro, but comparing to the regular PS4 but my 6 year old computer could beat it, and my newer computer blows it out of the water.

We can put it like this. There's a a game for PS4 I'm well-familiar with, Final Fantasy XIV.

Here's a video showing framerate and quality:

As you can see, the guy is in a rather low populated area and is doing about 25-28 frames per second. My 6 year old PC gets about 40-50FPS in similar areas (it will dip down to 30 when I go to an area that has flight and I take to the air), and the computer I made 3 months ago does 60+ fulltime, even in dungeon combat with more effects going off around me.

Sure thing, np! I've been building my own computers for... what, like 15 years now almost? Something like that? So yeah if you have questions, you can always ask.

As far as the rest of the stuff, well.... that's kinda the consequences of playing on console -- you have less resources to work with, therefore you get less game. There's not really much the Terraria team can do about that. They wanted to standardize the game across all platforms so that everybody could get updates faster and easier, but the sad fact of it is, current-gen consoles just can't handle the game as well as most PCs can.

I mean sure, you CAN plan it on a console, but it was never recommended in the first place. It's a primarily mouse-driven game, and you're trying to kludge controller controls into it, and you're just not going to get a good experience.

I believe if the developers chose to released the game on console the developers owe the console players, who have purchased the game, a good playable product. The UI on console is darn near impossible to read now. As far as a console not being able to handle the 1.3 equivalent version, thats just trash. Any console form PS3/PS4/Xbox/Xbox1 shouldn't even have a hiccup running Terraria.

I believe if the developers chose to released the game on console the developers owe the console players, who have purchased the game, a good playable product. The UI on console is darn near impossible to read now. As far as a console not being able to handle the 1.3 equivalent version, thats just trash. Any console form PS3/PS4/Xbox/Xbox1 shouldn't even have a hiccup running Terraria.

My 6 year old computer is stronger than a PS4/XB1. It will sometimes get framerate drops in 1.3+. No joke.

As for the PS3/Original XB, just no. You don't seem to understand just how underpowered consoles are compared to PCs. The PS4 Non-Pro and the XB1 non-Scorpio versions are weaker than my 6 year old budget PC, and my 6 year old budget PC gets framerate drops in 1.3, so yes, you're going to have problems running it on that wimpy console.

That's part of what it means to be on console in the first place. Why do you think most games released on consoles are capped at 30 FPS? They do that because they sure as heck can't handle 60 FPS in most of these games like most gamers' PCs can.

Here's another tidbit: Final Fantasy XIV is a PC and a PS4 game. A PS4 does about 26 FPS in an open world area where you can see a decent distance but yet isn't packed with players. My 6 year old PC can do 45-50 FPS in the same kinds of areas.

Consoles are underpowered compared to some/most PC's (depends on the build), yes i agree... Terraria doesn't even come close to needing all the processing power of any supported console.

Consoles are underpowered compared to some/most PC's (depends on the build), yes i agree... Terraria doesn't even come close to needing all the processing power of any supported console.

Did you somehow miss the fact where I detailed that my 6 year old PC, which is stronger than the consoles you listed, has framerate drops?

Terraria DOES need that processing power. Just because it has faux 16-bit 2D graphics does not mean it doesn't need processing power. Most modern PCs (and consoles) are all built around the GPU and Graphics Processing.... but Terraria is at least 80% if not more solid CPU power.

In fact, consoles have better GPUs than they do CPUs, and that's one of the reasons why Terraria is having trouble running on them, when they can run things like COD.

Back
Top Bottom