Vicious mushrooms not growing anymore?

Lakmoots

Terrarian
I have a section of crimson in my corrupt world so I can grow vicious mushrooms and fight the Brain of Cthulhu.

Since the last update, I am not having any crimson/vicious mushrooms grow on crimson grass... even though it is in its own biome.

Has something changed in the latest patch?

Hm, I'm not having this issue on my end, and I even tried the reverse method as well. Would you care to send a snapshot?

Also, just in case, if they aren't growing, break the current patches of grass and wait out of screen view.

This weekend, I've personally farmed Vicious Mushrooms in both a Corrupt world with an artificial Crimson biome, and a natural Crimson biome. I had no issues with them at all that I could detect.

yeah... thanks guys.

I was worrying but it is probably just a case of ''watched grass never spawns mushrooms''.

well... It has been a week of real time, and literal months of game time, and no mushrooms are growing.

This is very weird.

Are you sure nothing changed/got broken in the last patch?

Have people actually had them grow in worlds? Or are they just retrieving ones that were already there pre-patch?

I created a new world and a farm, and mushrooms grew as they normally would (some even grew while I was watching), so it doesn't seem like anything major has changed.

If you could provide a screenshot of the farm you're using, that'd be helpful for figuring out what's wrong.

I can't even place vicious mushrooms on PC. I've got a fairly large Crimson biome where I originally harvested them, and I created another one next to normal grass. When I look at the vicious mushroom, it does *not* say "placeable." When I select the mushroom, it does not show the little ghost-mushroom that appears when I can plant them. I also can't plant even normal mushrooms, they do the same thing with no ghost. Another type of mushroom I was able to place on grass. It's worth noting that I've destroyed all the Crimson Hearts, summoning Chtulu's brain twice. Both times I lost, and am trying to summon him again by getting enough vicious mushrooms. Any ideas?

In vanilla, surface mushrooms can't be placed, and this has always been this way. You only need grass to grow them.

Great, that explains a lot. Does that mean "farming" is restricted to making grass for a given biome? Does having other un-harvest mushrooms nearby effect it, or is it completely random? I think the first Crimson biome where I blew up all Crimson Hearts is "dead" and no longer has any grass. It's also doesn't seem to be spreading at all. But I found a second one somewhere else where I got one more Vicious Mushroom from the grass, and one more from defeating an enemy.

Enemies don't drop them. You probably shot one out of the grass while shooting at an enemy.
Grass only grows from another tile of grass. Dirt blocks don't grow grass themselves, there needs to be grass nearby.
Regular mushrooms only grow on normal and hallowed grass. Both crimson and corruption have their own mushroom and need crimson and corrupted grass.

You can easily create a farm for them.
shroomfarm1.png

shroomfarm2.png

Anyway, check the wiki for more info:

Enemies don't drop them. You probably shot one out of the grass while shooting at an enemy.
Grass only grows from another tile of grass. Dirt blocks don't grow grass themselves, there needs to be grass nearby.
Regular mushrooms only grow on normal and hallowed grass. Both crimson and corruption have their own mushroom and need crimson and corrupted grass.

You can easily create a farm for them.
shroomfarm1.png

shroomfarm2.png

Anyway, check the wiki for more info:

Thanks for the examples! The specific thing I didn't get from the farming guide, which I read before asking, was that some mushrooms can be planted, while others have to grow naturally from grass. I'll set up a vicious mushroom farm as soon as I get home.

Back
Top Bottom