Weapons & Equip Vile Skin and Vicious Skin (Hardmode Corruption and Crimson Armors)

Should the Vile Armor Set Bonus's Life Leech effect be a % Basis or stay as a "hard number"?

• Keep, it as a Specific Number

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change it to be % Based

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
Lifesteal is a game mechanic implemented into the game for the player to steal life from monsters to restore the player's own life. However it is only used for very few types of weapons and equipment in the game. In watching shows or playing games, I have found that Dark Magic or Dark Power that instead steals the user's life in exchange for great power is interesting so I decided to propose Armor based on this concept to fit into Terraria. Eating at a user's life seems to be the essence of what Dark Power is, and because the Corruption and Crimson represent Darkness, it is fitting that the Light themed Hallowed Armor gets Dark Counterparts. This also makes the Corruption and Crimson slightly more relevant in hardmode and introduces lifesteal in a different form than what is currently established. The Armors introduced here will seem to be very powerful for being in the Mech-Tier and were deliberately made stronger than the Hallowed Armor, but the cost is that the Armor either takes life away from the player or hinders their movement and attack power.

All Components are crafted at Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Vile Skin
Appearance: Would look similar to a humanoid Clinger
Overall Set Bonus: +10% Damage, +10% Movement Speed. +10 Armor Piercing. All Attacks gain the Cursed Inferno Debuff. Player loses 1 HP every Second (This takes effect even if only 1 component of the armor is worn). Healing Regen effects from other items/accessories/potions slightly reduced. Additional +10% Damage if in Corruption. +100 Max HP. Potion Sickness Cooldown increased by 1 Minute.

Total Armor from full sets:
48 from Headgear (Range)
43 from Mask (Magic)
66 from Helmet (Melee)

Components:

Vile Plate Mail
Defense: 22
Bonus: 9% increased critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
24 Hallowed Bar
3 Soul of Night
10 Cursed Flame

Vile Greaves
Defense: 14
Bonus: 10% increased damage
6% increased movement speed

Crafting Recipe:
18 Hallowed Bar
2 Soul of Night
5 Cursed Flame

Vile Headgear
Defense: 12
Bonus:
18% increased ranged damage
12% increased ranged critical strike chance
20% Chance to not consume Ammo

Crafting Recipe:
12 Hallowed Bar
1 Soul of Night
3 Cursed Flame

Vile Mask
Defense: 7
Bonus:
+100 Max Mana
18% increased Magic damage and critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
12 Hallowed Bar
1 Soul of Night
3 Cursed Flame

Vile Helmet
Defense: 30
Bonus: 18% increased Melee damage and critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
12 Hallowed Bar
1 Soul of Night
3 Cursed Flame

Vicious Skin
Appearance: Would look similar to a humanoid Floaty Gross
Overall Set Bonus: -10% Movement. All Attacks gain the Ichor Debuff. Increased overall life and mana regen. Significantly increased Regen when either standing still or in Crimson Biome. -100 Max HP. Potion Sickness cooldown increased by 1 minute.

Total Armor from Full Sets:
88 from Helmet (Melee)
66 from Headgear (Range)
60 from Mask (Magic)

Vicious Plate Mail
Defense: 28
Bonus: 4% increased critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
24 Hallowed Bar
3 Soul of Night
10 Ichor

Vicious Greaves
Defense: 20
Bonus: 4% increased damage

Crafting Recipe:
18 Hallowed Bar
2 Soul of Night
5 Ichor

Vicious Helmet
Defense: 40
Bonus: 5% increased melee damage and critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
12 Hallowed Bar
1 Soul of Night
3 Ichor

Vicious Headgear
Defense: 18
Bonus:
7% increased ranged damage
4% increased ranged critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
12 Hallowed Bar
1 Soul of Night
3 Ichor

Vicious Mask
Defense: 12
Bonus:
+40 Max Mana
6% increased magic damage and critical strike chance

Crafting Recipe:
12 Hallowed Bar
1 Soul of Night
3 Ichor

Let me know what you think.

EDIT 1 (October 30th 2015):
Updated Suggestion based on Feedback:
Removed Mana Leeching effect from Vile Armor Set Bonus.
Removed Negative damage modifier from Vicious Armor Set Bonus.
Added a Poll to decide whether to change Life Leeching effect of Vile Armor to a percentage basis or keep it as is with a specific number.

Last edited:
Interesting ideas. However -1 HP/MP per second can really screw the player in hardmode boss fights, or in any situation where you find yourself taking a lot of damage.

Interesting ideas. However -1 HP/MP per second can really screw the player in hardmode boss fights, or in any situation where you find yourself taking a lot of damage.
That's the point. Although, I'd say nix the Mana leeching and just stick to life.

As for the idea itself, I'd say it's quite the interesting concept. I'd say it's worth at least some good in-game testing to see how viable it is.

I really like the risk reward armour but I believe a percentage of damage increased/decreased would be better than the health changes.
Support!

Overall Set Bonus: -15% Damage, -10% Movement. All Attacks gain the Ichor Debuff. Increased overall life and mana regen. Significantly increased Regen when either standing still or in Crimson Biome. -100 Max HP. Potion Sickness cooldown increased by 1 minute.

I just think the set bonus is more negative than a bonus, unless the life and mana regen is large enough.

Also, consider its high defense, espcially Vicious Helmet, it may be better used as a mixed armor(like Vicious Helmet/Greaves with Turtle Scale Mail), which provide a 87 defense without sideeffect(even higher than the currently end-game solar flare armor).

That's the point. Although, I'd say nix the Mana leeching and just stick to life.

As for the idea itself, I'd say it's quite the interesting concept. I'd say it's worth at least some good in-game testing to see how viable it is.

Will implement this by removing the Mana Leeching from the Vile Armor.

I really like the risk reward armour but I believe a percentage of damage increased/decreased would be better than the health changes.
Support!

I'll put this in a poll to decide whether to keep specific number values or to change it to % of damage compared to max Health. % of Health Damage seems like an interesting way to deal damage.

I also like the idea, but they seem rather easy to craft.

I designed these armors to act as alternatives to the Hallowed Armor so I didn't want them to be too much harder to craft compared to the Hallowed Armor, though I can add more ingredients if it should be a little harder to craft. What type of ingredients should I add or edit?

I just think the set bonus is more negative than a bonus, unless the life and mana regen is large enough.

Also, consider its high defense, espcially Vicious Helmet, it may be better used as a mixed armor(like Vicious Helmet/Greaves with Turtle Scale Mail), which provide a 87 defense without sideeffect(even higher than the currently end-game solar flare armor).

I'd say the Life Regen when standing still would almost be as good as the Shiny Stone, and be a little better than the Shiny Stone when in Crimson. A little less when moving in both cases. I can remove or reduce one of the negative effects from the set bonus. Should I also make it so the negative effects of the armor apply even if the the player is only wearing 1 component similar to the Vile Armor? Or remove that condition from the Vile Armor?

I'd say the Life Regen when standing still would almost be as good as the Shiny Stone, and be a little better than the Shiny Stone when in Crimson. A little less when moving in both cases. I can remove or reduce one of the negative effects from the set bonus. Should I also make it so the negative effects of the armor apply even if the the player is only wearing 1 component similar to the Vile Armor? Or remove that condition from the Vile Armor?
Sorry, not very sure, I am not good in data balance.
But one possibly solution is making the "Set bonus" progressly stonger, both positive and negative effect. Like wearing one piece of vile skin drain health by 1 per 3 s, two will drain it 1 per 2 s.

I would get these purely because I a charecter dedicated to corruption/solar eclipse and another who is dedicated to crimson / blood moon and needless to say they need better armor

Back
Top Bottom