Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I've noticed a few times during game-play that some tree leaves aren't getting colored correctly if at all. It started off really early when Journey's End released when I was painting sakura trees.
The tree color in the picture is sky blue and there is a still pink leaf flying near the orange painted hallow trees. I've also noticed the crimson tree leaves doing the same thing recently. The trees are colored green and there are 2 basic crimson colored leaves beneath the trees. The yellow willow however is trying it's best and looks to be somewhat trying to color the leaf blue like the tree that's painted blue but it isn't painted exactly the same. Crimson, sakura, and the yellow willow trees are the only trees I could see this problem with.
View attachment 281102

I gave this a quick test with those three types but the leaves matched the paint colour. Of interest to me is that these three trees have had problems with paint in the past, and I don't think that's coincidence.

What lighting and video quality settings are you using? Are there any specific paint colour(s) that cause the problem?

My lighting is set to color and quality is high. Brown, gray, white, black, shadow, negative and all of the deep colored paints work wonders but those paints also color the tree bark itself. I also tested Illuminant paint for the fun of it but the leaves don't glow in the dark. Every regular colored paint colors only the tree leaves but not the leaves that fly in the wind. Sakura leaves stay pink, shadewood stays crimson red, and yellow willow leaves have the paint slightly in their center, which doesn't match the actual tree and looks slightly odd.

I gave it another try but no luck unfortunately. The leaves were coloured the same as the paint for the same lighting and quality modes. Not sure what's going on here. I'll see if I can find someone else who might be able to reproduce it. :)

I felt like making a few gifs of the leaves blowing in action. Hoping I'm not alone in this because these trees look really cool painted. :(

Attachments

• Sakura.gif
    Sakura.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 184
  • Yellowwillow.gif
    Yellowwillow.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 754
  • Shadewood.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 212
I can confirm that, having a garden of sky blue/blue painted Sakura trees I've never seen falling leaves of any color other than default pink. I never thought that it even was intended for falling leaves to be the same color as paint on parent tree.

Interesting enough it was kinda showcased in the falling leaves preview a few years back. Granted they showed the hallow trees, the corrupt trees, the default tree style painted with both autumn colors and negative paint, and default crimson trees. These trees work of course, excluding the crimson trees, so it isn't really an issue with them. I have my own theory that crimson, sakura, and yellow willow trees are the newer tree types, so maybe the leaves weren't coded to paint correctly or something. Not really sure.

I gave this another test, and I am able to reproduce it now. But not all of the time. It seems that if the grass is painted and a tree planted, or the grass is painted before the tree, then the blown leaves seem to be coloured as according to the pain. If the tree is painted and the grass is not painted, then the leaves are coloured as if the tree is not painted. Even then, that's not always the case.

I still don't think it's coincidence those three tree types (Shadewood, Sakura, Willow) had paint problems in the past. This is reported now, and I'll leave it in the hands of the devs. Thanks for sticking with the report!

Back
Top Bottom