tModLoader Vitiosus Mod

Struggling with this mod.
Seems like everybody hates the W1K-like theme of the mod, even though it's practically only half of the mod. None of the bosses even scream "stolen IPs".

I'm going to get backlash for this am I? :dryadeek:
No, mainly because you're not popular and people forget quite quickly.

The issue with Terraria modding nowdays is that because of the recent absurdily big mods (like Thoriun and Calamity) people have started actually developing standards for what a "good" mod should be like. Of course, if popularity is what you seek, you are pretty much expected to step the extra mile to abide by those standards, standards which did not exist when the big modpacks around were Omnir, mine and Obsidian, when there was basically nothing better to look ahead for and we made our own standards, some of which still abide today. Calamity is a good example of a 1.1 inspired progression based mod with the obsession for big numbers Omnir used to have, alongside my own obsession with flashy and unique bosses having more NPC sprites than related gears, all of it alongside a unique hand of paint you can barelly call Terraria. Thorium on the other hand is quite the opposite on most aspects.

It is absolutelly not true modpacks nowdays don't make use of existing IPs, as there are (minor) mods specifically dedicated to that which are, sad to say, doomed to staying behind the spotlight rare cases aside, plus even the humongous mods like Thorium and Calamity occasionally make use of IPs that are not specifically theirs, but what is truly expected nowdays is a baseline mod that's completelly original, with some throwback to existing IPs as a cool added bonus rather than a main feature. Hence why my mod likely doesn't tick as well nowdays and I have been working towards refluffing my contents into something more unique I can truly call my own idea.
You also get to deal with the Thorium vs Calamity argument of "modding to improve the base game" against "modding to change the base game to something much different", which will get you two very different opinions from two very different groups of people, making gathering feedback for developing a popular mod even more challenging.

All in all, if you don't care for the popularity at the end of the train-ride and simply want to develope a mod for fun, most of the above shouldn't be a concern the slightest and you should be free to develope what you want for who you want, but having experienced the modding community then and now, I figured I might as well share my observations.

The issue with Terraria modding nowdays is that because of the recent absurdily big mods (like Thoriun and Calamity) people have started actually developing standards for what a "good" mod should be like. Of course, if popularity is what you seek, you are pretty much expected to step the extra mile to abide by those standards, standards which did not exist when the big modpacks around were Omnir, mine and Obsidian, when there was basically nothing better to look ahead for and we made our own standards, some of which still abide today. Calamity is a good example of a 1.1 inspired progression based mod with the obsession for big numbers Omnir used to have, alongside my own obsession with flashy and unique bosses having more NPC sprites than related gears, all of it alongside a unique hand of paint you can barelly call Terraria. Thorium on the other hand is quite the opposite on most aspects.

It is absolutelly not true modpacks nowdays don't make use of existing IPs, as there are (minor) mods specifically dedicated to that which are, sad to say, doomed to staying behind the spotlight rare cases aside, plus even the humongous mods like Thorium and Calamity occasionally make use of IPs that are not specifically theirs, but what is truly expected nowdays is a baseline mod that's completelly original, with some throwback to existing IPs as a cool added bonus rather than a main feature. Hence why my mod likely doesn't tick as well nowdays and I have been working towards refluffing my contents into something more unique I can truly call my own idea.
You also get to deal with the Thorium vs Calamity argument of "modding to improve the base game" against "modding to change the base game to something much different", which will get you two very different opinions from two very different groups of people, making gathering feedback for developing a popular mod even more challenging.
There as some offenders as to the mod's crisis:
  • devs totally frowned upon the idea of "unoriginal" content
    • one turned out to believe that "(C)" copyright = "tm" trademark, which turns out to be not completely true
  • the mod's concept of balance between "unoriginal" and "original" content seemed completely unrealistic to the developers, quite different from Calamity and its antithesis
  • a strange case of values dissonance on what make a mod successful
  • I had no idea Minecraft mods =/= Terraria mods before it was too late
  • Only thing the best spriter would work on was original content, refused everything that came from existing IPs, which was the first time I witnessed someone refusing a request/commision on the internet
  • whether or not the former devs were team Thorium or team Calamity was a hassle, content-wise, my mod leaned towards Calamity, though being influenced by Calamity comes with its own sets of problems
  • dev choices were poor now that I look at it
  • in the former devs' minds, i'm the angler (the terraria npc that debuted in 1.2.4), childish and impatient
  • basically my mod is mostly controversy overshadowed by a larger controversy (hint: six letters) in the mod community
Generally, discussion on wxisting IP usage in Terraria mods is super controversial, so I think that should be its own topic for our further discussion on it...

Bad news:
I've basically put this thing on an indefinite hiatus. I had literally no luck with getting new mod members let alone recovering from the nightmare that was the former team. It just causes more problems than it solves. This mod looked good on paper, however it was run down to the ground. If again it sees interest, I may revive it. But this is goodbye for now.

Back
Top Bottom