Weapons & Equip Vortex armor should be changed

What do you think of Vortex armor?

• It's fine as is

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It should have some changes

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Terrarian
Vortex armor is fine in multiplayer, but is pretty useless in singleplayer.

As of right now, the invisibility gives a decreased chance of enemy targeting, and in that state significantly higher damage output and lowered mobility. This seems to be designed for multiplayer: other players (namely the melee) take the shots, and the ranger can deal out heavy damage even with the lowered mobility without fear, because of the invisibility. But in singleplayer, this ability is nearly useless or otherwise quite difficult to use well - since there's no other player to take the shots, the invisibility is useless and the crippled mobility pretty much negates the increased damage output. As of right now, since shroomite armor really has the same problem, late-to-endgame ranger feels slightly underwhelming.

I think the special ability of vortex armor should be changed to one that is useful in both single and multiplayer. What do you guys think - is Vortex armor fine as is, or do you think changes should be made? Any ideas?

An idea would be something similar to Titanium armor. This new armor would, given (say) 8 seconds without taking damage, buff total ranged dps (dmg and crit) by (say) about 60% - a high amount, though not as high as the current invisibility mode. However, any hit taken in this mode would end it and return the player to a normal state - not without reducing the mode-ending hit's damage by (say) 60%, however, giving a similar invulnerability save as titanium armor, though not a total one because that may be unbalanced. The player would once again have to avoid damage for 8 seconds to return to this buffed state.

This would be very useful to a multiplayer support player (just let your allies take the shots and your damage output will greatly increase) but is also useful for singleplayer players. It promotes dodging hits, which rangers do so much of anyway, but also offers a useful save in the lack of any meatshield.

edited - to make more plausible and not op.

Last edited:
Vortex/Shroomite Armor can be really useful if used strategically. Like making arena's / Semi-autofarms where movement isn't needed.
Your suggestion makes Vortex users a really powerful glass cannon. I'm not really liking it as damage can be easily avoided if you're keeping your distance a lot. Especially if the enemies aren't even targetting you.

For myself, I find Vortex fine as it is. And can be really powerful if used in the right situation.

The only thing with that is that in boss fights in single player, the boss will always be targeted on you anyway; and mobility is very useful in boss fights, so losing so much of it is not an option. The current low-mobility, high-damage thing does work quite well for farming (and events like frost moon) like you said, but even then I think that it's just not a very fun playstyle to be explicitly slow and hope not to be hit.

In my view, the vortex armor, along with all other Celestial armors, are armors for 'fun use'.
As I don't see anymore why they would be required as you're already able to beat any boss even without the armor.
And even then, this Armor really rocks without the set bonus.

Because I see the Shroomite more of a part of the progression line. I rather see some changes happening to Shroomite Armor than Vortex. Because Shroomite has even less use of the set bonus against bosses than even the Vortex does.

Also worth to mention, you can more or less negate the vortex' low mobility if you're using the Vortex Booster / Hoverboard Horizontal thrust.

True that the celestial armors are all strong in the endgame. Which is a bit sad, because there's nothing to use all these shiny new weapons on; but I guess they had to end it somewhere.

Even so, though vortex armor looks cool and is definitely good (it has to be for an endgame set), when Solar Flare has Dash, Nebula armor drops glowing colorful orbs, and Stardust armor summons a giant powerful minion (all of which are abilities which are explicitly buffs when used, are far more tangible, and work for both single and multiplayer), Vortex's invisible mode feels underwhelming. Also I don't think it's very fun to be so much slower only so that the numbers popping up above the enemy are a bit bigger.

I do agree that shroomite is even more flawed. Besides the aforementioned arenas and farming, in everyday fights one rarely has the chance to stand still for 1.5 seconds. But I think the whole invisibility thing encourages passive play and just isn't that interesting or fun - you're sacrificing moving around (which is fun) to be able to kill things slightly faster.

True that the celestial armors are all strong in the endgame. Which is a bit sad, because there's nothing to use all these shiny new weapons on; but I guess they had to end it somewhere.
That part will always have 2 dilemma's, Either you get new equipment but have nobody to fight for, or you get nothing useful at all. *shrug

Even so, though vortex armor looks cool and is definitely good (it has to be for an endgame set), when Solar Flare has Dash, Nebula armor drops glowing colorful orbs, and Stardust armor summons a giant powerful minion (all of which are abilities which are explicitly buffs when used, are far more tangible, and work for both single and multiplayer), Vortex's invisible mode feels underwhelming. Also I don't think it's very fun to be so much slower only so that the numbers popping up above the enemy are a bit bigger.

I do agree that shroomite is even more flawed. Besides the aforementioned arenas and farming, in everyday fights one rarely has the chance to stand still for 1.5 seconds. But I think the whole invisibility thing encourages passive play and just isn't that interesting.
I've to agree with that. I said that they were situational, although sometimes it's also a little too situational, and as a ranger you're kinda forced to be in that state.

Sometimes I was wondering if the endgame ranger armors could outshine a little better than the others. But I've less to complain as the ranger class is one of the more powerful classes than the other classes.

So simply said, yes, it could have changes, but I've no ideas what kind of chance would make them more useful. So I dind't bothered with it and just remain with only using the set bonus when I really need it.

I wouldn't be bothered if the set bonus will change, but maybe there are others who do like the set bonus (lets say, as a sniper). and rather prefer them to stay. after both shroomite and vortex remained the same for some years. I don't know what kind of feedback would come if it'll suddenly change out of nothing.

I think the should change Vortex Armour to where when invisible, you still have decreased mobility and slightly less of a damage buff that it gives you, but gives you a really high chance not to consume ammo, because as you said, Vortex Armour is quite underwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom