tModLoader TRAE Project

J Bame

Terrarian
Made for 1.4.4 Tmodloader.

Introducing the Terraria Rebalanced and Expanded Project!

Made by certain Terraria fans who felt that 1.4 wasn't quite fitting to be the end of Terraria lifespan, this rather ambitious mod aims to fix all issues present in the vanilla game, balance or otherwise, and expand it where it currently feels lacking in content.

This mod's primary feature is all its changes to the vanilla game, but it is not at all exempt from having brand new content to explore!

So, what does TRAE have in store for you? Let's have a look:

Terraria Rebalanced
CLICK HERE for a detailed changelog.

Featuring a list of changes over 50 pages (and growing!) in length, this mod makes a lot of changes to Weapons, Accessories, Armors, and more.

A lot of these are stat changes, BUT there is also a lot of items that have been noticeably changed from vanilla:

Some weapons have even changed mechanically:
AIxiTjU.gif

Even the oldest minions have received some much-needed love!
mTkRSLK.jpg

More summoner armors.

13fWusm.jpg
pK8zpRT.jpg

Some items have moved places...
20210816162835_1.jpg
3cX75jS.jpg

We've all heard numerous complaints about Terraria's defense, due to it being a very polarizing stat. To put it briefly: Against big damage numbers, defense doesn't do enough, against small ones defense does too much. As it stands in vanilla defense is an incredibly volatile stat, since 1 point of defense can be both a 1% and a 100% damage reduction depending on your setup.

Damage reduction items suffer from a similar issue. Since they all stack additively, it is much easier to block all damage, as all you'd have to do is equip enough items to make your Damage reduction 100% and never die again. The only reason why this isn't currently possible is simply the lack of enough items to enable it to be.

TRAE reworks defense to percentage-based instead of reducing damage by a flat number. The new formula for defense is now:

Effective Damage Reduction = Defense / (Defense + 80)

And additionally, Damage reduction items now stack multiplicatively with each other instead of additively.

The rest is all statistical adjustments on some armors and items to accommodate the new system, and a whole lot of number play to see if it's balanced.

The Magic Class has been Overhauled with a completely different mana system.

Vanilla’s Mana has quite a few issues, to say the least. Mana regeneration mechanics are needlessly complicated, the class is extremely frustrating to play as unless you always have certain key items around you (whether Mana Regeneration Potions or Mana Potions) and, when examined throroughly, you will find that the mechanic is hardly impactful in the grand scheme of things.

Due to all these issues, TRAE overhauls the entire Magic class so that Mana is a much more significant and versatile stat than in vanilla.

The first and most important change was an overhaul to Mana Regeneration to make it much easier to understand:

By default, the character now regenerates 10% of their maximum mana every second, even while attacking. This means that, with enough maximum mana, weapons can attack indefinitely without ever needing to stop to recharge mana. With this in mind, the entire class’ arsenal has been rebalanced.

All Magic weapons are now divided in three categories based primarily on their mana drain: Light Weapons, Heavy Weapons, and Side Weapons.

Light weapons drain about 30 to 45 mana per second by default, meaning that just the mana economy from basic magic armor is more than enough to achieve full uptime on these weapons, with your regeneration being faster than their drain. Their DPS is comparable to a weapon of another class; sometimes lower and sometimes higher, depending on context.

Heavy weapons, as their name implies, have a heavy mana drain (65 mana per second and above). Achieving full uptime is impossible without lots of mana items. However, they are also stronger than the average weapon.

Side weapons consist of projectiles that linger for a short time after being casted, such as the Nimbus Rod or the Magnet Sphere. They are effectively passive sources of extra DPS, but their mana cost is extremely high. Using them effectively alongside Heavy weapons first requires a lot of mana economy investment, and in some cases even Light weapons can have trouble keeping up with them.

This rebalance opens up many different playstyles for the magic class.

The most basic of them all is simply using Heavy weapons for a burst of damage and then switch to a Light weapon while mana is regenerating, or using Side weapons as a complement to your Light’s DPS.

But it doesn't end there:
  • Go all-in in mana economy items to utilize both Heavy and Side weapons as your primary sources of DPS;
  • Play as a mixed class and use non-magic weapons while mana recharges for a Heavy's burst;
  • Use the bare minimum mana equipment to sustain a Light weapon and invest your stats somewhere else
Spears received a mechanical overhaul:
ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

As well as looking a lot nicer, the swings now inflict invincibility frames on enemies based on their remaining swing time. In a layman's terms, Spears now benefit from melee speed in an intuitive manner. Additionally, Spears now benefit from melee Size modifiers, and can get the Legendary modifier.

pDQ1Bqo.jpg

But there is more: All spears now have the ability to be thrown!

0Twfah3.gif

By holding right click, you will hold the spear over your shoulder and charge up power. Once the charge is done, you will throw a spear with up to double base damage. Spears will have significantly less damage and velocity if thrown uncharged, with a thrown spear barely going anywhere, so you better time your throws right to get optimal DPS. The Feral Claws item removes this need for perfect timing and allows you to automatically throw spears as soon as they are fully charged.

Now with two attacks, Spears have a lot of room for more unique features!

ezgif.com-gif-maker (4).gif
0VSt8JI.jpg

And finally, some items have been reworked into spears due to already having a visual/mechanical similarity to them.
cXQZ9U4.jpg
FszpEl5.jpg

Terraria Expanded
New Accessories

It is a fact that a lot of mods out there like combining loads of different accessories together. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but TRAE has the exact opposite approach: Instead of having a select few "super items", there are now loads of branching tinker paths for most accessories, each with their own advantages and disadvantages over another.

PTWA8uJ.jpg

You will probably have a lot of fun exploring the Tinkerer's Workshop now.
GfYghXs.jpg

This is also a great chance to give some love to forgettable accessories...

IpUUH77.jpg

... bring some rather obvious item combinations to light...
7Z18FL0.jpg

... as well as those that you could never see coming!
1FdL3YW.jpg

And of course, with a new mod comes brand new accessories.
eaw04gA.jpg

Dreadnautilus has earned quite the reputation since 1.4 released, with some going so far as to call it the third unofficial boss added in the update. However despite having an imposing design, rather elaborate attacks and more attributes similar to a Event Boss', the game and Re-Logic still consider it to be a miniboss enemy.

TRAE does not. Dreadnautilus was overhauld into a fully fleshed out Boss Fight, with new drops, attacks, and more! Let's take a look into it.

Dreadnautilus got quite a number of tweaks to his fight. First, the fight has had its unfair and unfun aspects ironed out...
A2gOleW.jpg

... and expanded.

Of course, with a new boss comes new loot. You've probably seen by now what the Sanguine Staff is capable of in vanilla Terraria, so it'd be unwise to underestimate any of these items!

1693089090443.png

With a new boss comes new loot: Dreadnautilus now drops a weapon for all classes, as well as some extras.
1693089130030.png

And the expansions don't end here; even outside the fight you will find noticeable changes! The Dreadnautilus now has its own summoning item dropped by Blood Eels and Hemogoblin Sharks (NOTE: it can still be fished up naturally, so be careful!), and Bloody Tears now have an easily renewable (although expensive!) recipe.
lFTYuMR.jpg

Both of these changes get rid of all the tedious and unfun grinding concerning Blood Moon Fishing, making the fight entirely a test of skill between you and Dreadnautilus.

Discord Server: Join the TRAE Hangouts Discord Server!
Credits
qwerty3.14 = Main coder, basically coded half the mod.
Bry#7117 = Made most Sprites, inspiration for Shadowflame Charm and Rune Cobra.
whoneedsnamestbh: Inspiration for Dreadnautilus' boss fight and drops.
Angry Nimbus, Coleyohley, Cazmatism: Playtesting, Clip recording, general feedback.

Attachments

• 0001-0205.gif
    14.1 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I've instantly downloaded this mod the second I saw it. This mod looks AWESOME and very promising!!! You never fail to amaze me! Good job!!

As a playtester I can tell you that this mod is a blast to play. Am I partial to it because it re-adds Frog Leg Stacking? Of course! But it adds so many other cool things too, and getting to be part of the development process was a total blast.

This mod has some great things ahead of it, and I can’t wait to see what it achieves down the road.

Last edited:
Oh, Alr. How do you gat the beta btw? I’m stuck with 1.3.6 or whatever it is…
if you're like me and dont have a discord and you dont want one
IUNDERSTANDTHATTHISALPHAISMOSTLYFORDEVELOPERS
jus open up tmodloader properties go to the betas section and plug it in

seems like a bad :red: mod bout to try it
will this work with modded spears too?
same question for mods that alter vanilla stuff
like Fargos has a mod i think where there's a mode that changes all vanilla bosses
also yiyang has a cool moon lord rework ive been meaning to try

making an EDIT down below (b/c i cant make a separate comment for this)
-spears are broken
//going to try removing some mods and see if there are changes if i find any ill remove the edit!!
pbone Library + Utilities seems to add an auto swing
that auto swing breaks the spears

Attachments

• Spear OP.png
    Spear OP.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Spear OP 2.png
    Spear OP 2.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
does this mod tinker with mob spawns?
havent seen sharks
but ive seen a ton of jungle creepers around
they spawn preHM especially night time jungle surface
those web spitting sons of -- open doors mannn
idek how a big spider can open a door
but ye pls reconsider on that one chief jungle's dangerous enough as is

I love every part of the mod except for the separation of accessories. One of my favorite things to do is to work and explore and farm to make mega accessories, nothing is more satisfying than being granted the abilities of all the accessories you worked hard for. and I'm not just talking about easy ones, I like the challenge of having to gather a bunch before I can make a super accessory

I'm quite excited about this. While I'm refraining from 1.4 for now until the build is more stable and finished I will definitely be keeping an eye on this mod.

As a playtester I can tell you that this mod is a blast to play. Am I partial to it because it re-adds Frog Leg Stacking? Of course! But it adds so many other cool things too, and getting to be part of the development process was a total blast.

This mod has some great things ahead of it, and I can’t wait to see what it achieves down the road.
Holy :red: this mod is exactly what we needed

A lot of amazing updates and improvements. Honestly the only thing that is missing is Reaver Shark being best pre-hardmode pickaxe again.
That said, I am not a fan of defense rework, honestly. I've always seen Terraria as a chill game, instead of another challenging pro-gamer title.

A lot of amazing updates and improvements. Honestly the only thing that is missing is Reaver Shark being best pre-hardmode pickaxe again.
That said, I am not a fan of defense rework, honestly. I've always seen Terraria as a chill game, instead of another challenging pro-gamer title.
Defense is in vanilla is fundamentally broken as a mechanic, being next to useless in small quantities and being completely overpowered in high quantities. Reworking it into a consistent mechanic will make it more valuable on low-defense loadouts and less game-shattering on High-defense loadouts.

As for making the game less casual-friendly, if you're playing on modes like Expert and Master, you really shouldn't be able to win by blundering your way through bosses. if your setup lets you take 3 or 4 more hits, that's totally fine, but it shouldn't let you be able to entirely or almost entirely ignore enemy attacks in Expert or Master like it does in Vanilla.

I love every part of the mod except for the separation of accessories. One of my favorite things to do is to work and explore and farm to make mega accessories, nothing is more satisfying than being granted the abilities of all the accessories you worked hard for. and I'm not just talking about easy ones, I like the challenge of having to gather a bunch before I can make a super accessory
The idea of "Super Accessories" goes completely against what the mod is trying to be so it's very, very unlikely that you'll see more than one or two of those.

Nothing about the defense rework directly changes Terraria as a casual game. This mod is meant to improve upon vanilla's balance, so something as unbalanced as defense is obviously going to get changed.

Recommended Additions for this mod:
-Make master mode more balanced, fair and fun by reducing enemy damage. It becomes very frustrating when you have 500 health and most enemies can 4-shot you still. I would suggest reducing this a lot for normal enemies and slightly less for events. Speaking of which
-Event Overhauls/Balancing. I would personally suggest an AI change that makes certain projectiles to be slower, more visible, and A LOT less likely to hit you when the enemy is off screen. To balance this, make enemies shoot many more projectiles than usual to make it more of a precise bullet hell game.
-Boss Drop Changes. One of my least favorite things about Terraria is RNG. When you are struggling to beat a boss and FINALLY BEAT THEM after multiple hours you get a sharknado staff instead of fishron wings is very frustrating. I would suggest focusing more of Craftable Items > Random Drop Chance items for bosses at least. To make re-fighting bosses after you beat them viable again, make exclusive items that you get for no hitting bosses, but only 1 item per boss to make it less RNG based. My personal recommendation for one of these is another option to get RoD, by no-hitting WoF, Queen Slime, or maybe another late game boss, maybe even EoL.
-World Generation Changes. This would probably be very hard to implement but I think this would be very beneficial to the game. Bigger, more varied mountains and bigger caves would be very cool to see in this game since MC implemented it a while ago. To appreciate this enough we may also need a higher zoom out cap though.
And some other obvious changes like lunar events rework, annoying enemies, etc. Don't feel obligated to put any of this in. This is just the ideas of a big dummy who doesn't know about coding or game design.

Back
Top Bottom