W1K's once again workshop of TCF GIF Avatars resizing.

W1K

Witch
Hello fine men and gentleladies.

I've been intending to port this tiny small little project of mine from TerrariaOnline for a while now. Laziness is a horrible beast but luckily today it's on vacation.

As most people might know (and if you don't, I'm telling you now), TCF profiles do actually support animated GIFs as avatars. Thanks to advancement in monkey forums engineering, what used to only work on profile pages (back in TerrariaOnline) is now a forum-wide feature.

As many might have also figured out, uploading an animated avatar is not as simple as going to the profile page and just... uploading it. There are specific limitations, which are not as obvious as one would expect because of the weird inner-workings on XenForo.

Most likely for storing, every uploaded avatar, regardless of file type, is renamed to .jpg, however, regardless of its name, said picture format will be rendered as it truly is and not as its name states.
"Then why do some animated avatars work while others don't?" you might ask.
Simply, the type of the original file is only truly changed when the picture does not follow the given guideline (smaller than 192px of width INSTEAD of the usual 200px, smaller than 250kb in size), so essentially every uploaded animated picture that does not follow such will be resized and potentially compressed, otherwise left unchanged, although the file will be renamed to .jpg, it will still contain an animated gif.

"Then why does this thread exist?", simply because editing a gif is not as simple. Compressing a gif picture might be something not everyone is readily capable of doing. Also, to warn people of the weird and inconsistent size limit of 192px.

So here I am, being a good (and bored) person, offering my service on this regard.

If you happen to have an animated gif you intend to use as avatar on this forum but have no clue how to edit it or compress it as appropriate, post it in this thread.
Simple as that, I'll get to it as soon as I can, make a resized/compressed version or multiple, then post it back.

There is no real requirement on what this gif can be, of course it has to fall under the forum's global ruling, also the longest/biggest the animation is, the worst quality you have to expect from it.
If you need a picture resized/compressed for whatever other purpose, feel free to post too as long as you properly describe what you need. Also if you want a series of pictures turned into an animation, that can be easily done too.

That is all. This thread is a direct port of my previous TerrariaOnline thread and intend to manage it same way as I did in the past. Have a good browsing.

Last edited:
I will give you one million ducks for this.
tSu6lpb.gif

Oh, splendid.
In the spirit of May the 4th, I'd like the following gif to be optimized so I can have it as an avatar.
8HK9aVu.gif

I would do it myself, but I tried and failed, so I thought that maybe you could.
Additionally, as a small touch, I would also like the gif to be sped up by 25%. If that doesn't intercept the optimization, that is.
Thanks in advance!

Oh, splendid.
In the spirit of May the 4th, I'd like the following gif to be optimized so I can have it as an avatar.
8HK9aVu.gif

I would do it myself, but I tried and failed, so I thought that maybe you could.
Additionally, as a small touch, I would also like the gif to be sped up by 25%. If that doesn't intercept the optimization, that is.
Thanks in advance!
I removed the black borders to save a bit of pixels of size.
I also made two versions, one with the most frames I could fit in (only lowered quality) and another with the highest quality I could fit in (halved frame rate). Chose whichever you prefer.

Framerate
c2601cde65.gif

Quality
92d562b3b6.gif

I removed the black borders to save a bit of pixels of size.
I also made two versions, one with the most frames I could fit in (only lowered quality) and another with the highest quality I could fit in (halved frame rate). Chose whichever you prefer.

Framerate
c2601cde65.gif

Quality
92d562b3b6.gif
When I try to use the 2nd one as an avatar, this error pops up.
Picture2.png

Cut a few useless frames by the end to compress the quality a tad bit, it does not affect quality the slightest.
Resize was enough to bring the size down to requirement, so quality should be roughly same as the original.

691cf34aa9.gif
Thank you. <3

Reactions: W1K
Back
Top Bottom