tAPI W1K's Sizable Variety Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it forces the player to think. Look at it this way: If you went into a new room in Legend of Zelda and the trap was already solved or the enemies already defeated for you, what fun would it be? You have to look at the situation, and if you figure out what's happening, you can plan your attack strategy around it. I haven't gotten to those bosses yet, but when I do, I assume it'll be more fun than just pointing and shooting at them.
It's not making me think at all. This is the videogame equivalent of a timeout. The boss goes on tilt when this happens and does nothing but ram you like the crudest zombie while it's invincible. This doesn't make me think, it makes me sigh and wait it out. If I'm too strong for the boss to handle, I'm probably taking chip damage from it already, and if I'm not then I'd never get to the problem, as I'd probably be doing the chip damage myself. I'd be fine if both A) The boss kept it's usual pattern while invincible. B) IT DIDN'T HEAL. That'd lenghthen the fight for more powerful toons so even if you catch the eggs late you still have to do it the right way. And it'd be less bs when he does go invincible.

"Sorry I offended you with my MEGASHARK Mr. Phoenix boss! Should I try my COPPER SHORTSWORD? Will you be content with the LOVE TAPS? Or should I expect more TOTAL INVINCIBILITY WITH HEALS AND STILL DEALING DAMAGE INBETWEEN?"

The phoenix armor isn't even good after early hardmode, and getting the eggs to begin with is a pain. The drops have one and one use only, and the fight itself is more a counterintuitive annoyance than anything. Even as just a novelty or a cosmetic it's not worth it. Why not just give the phoenixes good armor and health values and leave out the "LOLYOUARETOOGOODLEMMECHEAT" invincibility periods?
It was initially HERO's idea to make a boss that would be "hard no matter what tier you are into". I edited the phoenixes to be less that and more pay attention to what they are doing. Killing them extra faster is not going to give you anything other than killing them extra fast. Figuring out the pattern, paying attention to the damage dealt and resisting the feel of panicking out and unintentionally dealing more damage than intended is however a fair challenge in my opinion.

You are right about the loots not being worth it, being 3 bosses for a single armor set, however I intend to expand upon that at some point.

I'll also tell you I changed the phoenix armor from its old "explode upon contact for set damage" to "explode upont contact for damage based on defense" for the exact purpose of making it a decent armor early-hardmode. I had plenty of fun maxing out my defense for the sake of testing out how much I can stress out the armor, in fact I wa sable to destroy an horde of possessed armors without even moving. In the end, the only reason for the armor to exist is to achieve the best possible pre-hardmode set, however as said, I intend to add some other equipments to the mix at some point.

I'll take the concern into account however. I ported the phoenix exactly as HERO intended them to play out, only balancing their AI rather than applying any major edit. Fun fact, we actually intended for the phoenixes to not ram at you when going invincible, before HERO butted in and told us to change it.

It was initially HERO's idea to make a boss that would be "hard no matter what tier you are into". I edited the phoenixes to be less that and more pay attention to what they are doing. Killing them extra faster is not going to give you anything other than killing them extra fast. Figuring out the pattern, paying attention to the damage dealt and resisting the feel of panicking out and unintentionally dealing more damage than intended is however a fair challenge in my opinion.

You are right about the loots not being worth it, being 3 bosses for a single armor set, however I intend to expand upon that at some point.

I'll also tell you I changed the phoenix armor from its old "explode upon contact for set damage" to "explode upont contact for damage based on defense" for the exact purpose of making it a decent armor early-hardmode. I had plenty of fun maxing out my defense for the sake of testing out how much I can stress out the armor, in fact I wa sable to destroy an horde of possessed armors without even moving. In the end, the only reason for the armor to exist is to achieve the best possible pre-hardmode set, however as said, I intend to add some other equipments to the mix at some point.

I'll take the concern into account however. I ported the phoenix exactly as HERO intended them to play out, only balancing their AI rather than applying any major edit. Fun fact, we actually intended for the phoenixes to not ram at you when going invincible, before HERO butted in and told us to change it.
Well, thanks for the understanding man. Ugh, I feel I got all this bitterness from watching too many game critics... If the phoenix kept the fight as is while invincible that'd probably be closer to the idea of "Challenging at all tiers" because the super simple AI while unhittable isn't really a challenge unless your defense is crup. With just 45 defense the body damage from the phoenix was 1s.

Well, thanks for the understanding man. Ugh, I feel I got all this bitterness from watching too many game critics... If the phoenix kept the fight as is while invincible that'd probably be closer to the idea of "Challenging at all tiers" because the super simple AI while unhittable isn't really a challenge unless your defense is crup. With just 45 defense the body damage from the phoenix was 1s.
The AI is not meant to be part of the challenge, the switching mechanic is however. When we initially tho the phoenixes we made them just fly above the player head while being invincible rather than causing any harm to it, the healing was the only dealt punishment by that time and they healed a lot more than they currently do. I am taking into consideration the idea of buffing up their AI when they get into their invincible phase, making that the actual punishment for messing up dps, however if that's the case it means I'd need to get rid of the healing they get from it, which is part of the whole phoenixes reviving concept. This is where the colliding between concept and mechanics gets messy. Sometimes mechanics don't work out and it's not always because of the mechanic itself.

Last edited:
I always thought you had to use the decapitator or some variation like the red wing to prevent them from going invincible ;w;

I think the invincibility times for Phoenixes should not added again.
It's too annoying.
Ramming and has hard-to-dodge-without-wings projectiles with super speed already hard. IMO.

The AI is not meant to be part of the challenge, the switching mechanic is however. When we initially tho the phoenixes we made them just fly above the player head while being invincible rather than causing any harm to it, the healing was the only dealt punishment by that time and they healed a lot more than they currently do. I am taking into consideration the idea of buffing up their AI when they get into their invincible phase, making that the actual punishment for messing up dps, however if that's the case it means I'd need to get rid of the healing they get from it, which is part of the whole phoenixes reviving concept. This is where the colliding between concept and mechanics gets messy. Sometimes mechanics don't work out and it's not always because of the mechanic itself.
Your Mod is Multiplayer Compatible yes?

I don't exactly blame people who don't make their mods MP compatible. Honestly, if my main purpose was not MP, I'd not get through all the awful pain it is to sync NPCs and complex items. lel

Hmmm, the difficulty mod doesn't seem to be working properly in multiplayer for me, am I missing something?

I set the values I wanted in the mod options, and tested them in singleplayer before starting my server up. All was fine.

However, when I started up the multiplayer server, I could mouse over enemies and see that there health was doubled as expected, but as soon as I hit them with my weapon, their HP immediately bounced back to it's normal unmodded value, minus however much damage I did. Something tells me the server exe isn't properly reading the values of the mod settings... Any ideas?

I don't exactly blame people who don't make their mods MP compatible. Honestly, if my main purpose was not MP, I'd not get through all the awful pain it is to sync NPCs and complex items. lel
Where can i get the Thompson?

Where can i get the Thompson?
Get a Musket/The Undertaker and give it to the guide, he'll tell you the exact recipe.

Hmmm, the difficulty mod doesn't seem to be working properly in multiplayer for me, am I missing something?

I set the values I wanted in the mod options, and tested them in singleplayer before starting my server up. All was fine.

However, when I started up the multiplayer server, I could mouse over enemies and see that there health was doubled as expected, but as soon as I hit them with my weapon, their HP immediately bounced back to it's normal unmodded value, minus however much damage I did. Something tells me the server exe isn't properly reading the values of the mod settings... Any ideas?
That does definitelly sound weird. Apparently the settings are not ported over to the server, or the server's settings are not ported over to the client. I'm not sure whether the error relies on my mod or to TAPI itself at this point.

Last edited:
The Phoenix Armor's set effect (explosion upon taking damage) doesn't seem to properly sync with the server and I am filled with overwhelming sadness. The damage appears clientside, but enemy health bounces back to where it was about a second afterwards.

The Phoenix Armor's set effect (explosion upon taking damage) doesn't seem to properly sync with the server and I am filled with overwhelming sadness. The damage appears clientside, but enemy health bounces back to where it was about a second afterwards.
Now that's saddening after the effort I did put into revamping it. I don't know whether it's specifically my fault as I recall of it working back in tConfig. I'll try to find some way around it.

Where are we supposed to find Metroids? or are they supposed to not be found anywhere (which i assume is false)?
They spawn next to meteors. If the requirements for Meteor Heads to spawn is met, Metroids will also spawn alongside at a much lower rate. Make sure the area is open enough as they can't exactly phase through walls like Meteor Heads do, you might want to check for potential obstacles which could get them stuck, if it's an obstacle which can block a Pixie, then it can most likelly also stop a Metroid, if you are familiar with Pixies AI patterns at least.

Now that's saddening after the effort I did put into revamping it. I don't know whether it's specifically my fault as I recall of it working back in tConfig. I'll try to find some way around it.

They spawn next to meteors. If the requirements for Meteor Heads to spawn is met, Metroids will also spawn alongside at a much lower rate. Make sure the area is open enough as they can't exactly phase through walls like Meteor Heads do, you might want to check for potential obstacles which could get them stuck, if it's an obstacle which can block a Pixie, then it can most likelly also stop a Metroid, if you are familiar with Pixies AI patterns at least.

Ah, alright, thanks, and I do know how pixies work, so I should be able to handle them (why did i never think meteors...)

Fast update, Phoenix themed contents have been fixed/tweaked, plus new rathalos weapons resprites made by Ghoul (has no TCF account I can link to) have been included.

1.0.0.3 Changelog
  • Attempted to sync Phoenix armor on multiplayer servers. Apparently working, can cause some affected NPCs to lag slightly.
  • New sprites for Rathalos Scales and all Rathalos based weapons.
  • Phoenixes AIs tweaked to be more punishing but less time consuming.*
  • Phenix Breath is a new magic weapon craftable from a Wooden Wand and all three phoenix crests. This is meant to be the ultimate pre-hardmode magic weapon, comparable to Demon Scythe in terms of dps, but focused on single target.
    • Every use creates 3 projectiles spinning in a circle around the same axis.
    • 10 useTime (Very Fast)
    • 20 magic damage
    • 2 knockback (Very Weak)
    • 6 mana cost per use
*The phoenixes had their AI tweaked to improve the fight's fluidity by trying to reduce the no-dps times in favor of harder punishment for failing to keep the dps below the threshold.
As you might already know, the phoenixes have an hidden value increasing any time they suffer damage. The particles they emit will grow as they receive damage. Value would lower over time, but after reaching a certain threshold they would switch to their invulnerable phase.
Now, the value will not lower over time anymore, making it relatively easier to accidentally reach the threshold, however, not dealing any damage for 2 seconds straight will reset the value to its minimum instantly, allowing the players to go back dealing dps with shorter "holes" waiting for the value to slowly go down.
The duration of the invincibility phase has also been lowered by half, the phoenix will still heal the same amount of HP however.
Additionally, after an invincibility phase, the phoenix will shoot projectiles at a much faster rate for the duration of the whole AI cycle. The rate will go back to normal on the next and every following cycle, at least until a new invincibility phase will be triggered.

Also a gif previewing the new weapon.
Feel free to upvote and support my mod, so I can again brag about being on steam's frontpage. Wooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom