Wacky NPCs Mod

Going back to the Hollow girl there is something I've been wondering, what weapon would she use ? There aren't really any hollow melee weapons outside of Pearlwood Sword which would be too week for a NPC that would join you so late. Looking at other weapons the only one I could think of that would fit is the Excalibur.

Going back to the Hollow girl there is something I've been wondering, what weapon would she use ? There aren't really any hollow melee weapons outside of Pearlwood Sword which would be too week for a NPC that would join you so late. Looking at other weapons the only one I could think of that would fit is the Excalibur.
Excalibur, yeah. That was my first thought too. It's melee, and it's related to the Hallow. And it's quite cool too.

Although, I think NPC attack stats aren't strictly related to their weapon, most NPCs seems to deal roughly the same dmg. to the same enemy, whether they have a strong or weak weapon. quick weapons, and weapons causing status might turn out stronger though.

Just want to tune in and mention that I'm really looking forward to playing with this mod again once Tmodloader updates to 1.4.

As for the Hallow Fangirl; YES. Make her a Tsundere, please. The Dialogue ideas for her were amazingly funny and cool! Also Corru x Crim is a great pairing. (Yuri for the Yuri gods)

Just want to tune in and mention that I'm really looking forward to playing with this mod again once Tmodloader updates to 1.4.

As for the Hallow Fangirl; YES. Make her a Tsundere, please. The Dialogue ideas for her were amazingly funny and cool! Also Corru x Crim is a great pairing. (Yuri for the Yuri gods)
Thank you! Hearing feedback means a lot!

Yes, those are some general directions I think I will aim at with some of these updates, but there are still many ideas that should get added. More quotes, more guards, etc.

If you have some ideas, please share those too!

I came up with some new ideas

1. New NPC - The Gardener
He would be similar to Angler and Monster Hunter NPC but he would ask you to find some plants for him but I'm not sure what he would give you as a reward, alternatively the idea could be added to the elf.

2. Guards
I would suggest some medievil looking knights, there are some people in armor but I feel like they look more like just normal guard.

I came up with some new ideas

1. New NPC - The Gardener
He would be similar to Angler and Monster Hunter NPC but he would ask you to find some plants for him but I'm not sure what he would give you as a reward, alternatively the idea could be added to the elf.

2. Guards
I would suggest some medievil looking knights, there are some people in armor but I feel like they look more like just normal guard.
I remember I read that monster hunter NPC idea before. it's interesting, but there similar ideas too, I think, such as Thorium's Tracker NPC?
what sort of plants this NPC would be looking for? herbs are pretty obvious and too easy to get (you can just build a greenhouse and you will have lots of them whenever you need them) strange plants are already quest items for dye trader, some dye ingredients are quest items for Thorium's cook, sunflovers and pumpkin seeds can be bought from dryad, and what other plants there are you can actually collect?

medieval? I do thought about some, such as palladium armors painted gray, it's just, that I was struggling with the idea regarding weapons. a sword would fit them better, but that's kind of tricky to get to work for stationary NPCs to not look kinda odd. polearms are a bit different.
nevertheless, there should be indeed a lot more guard variants.

or did you meant "medi-evil"? as some sort of medieval, evil guards, for evil places? I guess there could be such too, but what sort of looks those would have?

I remember I read that monster hunter NPC idea before. it's interesting, but there similar ideas too, I think, such as Thorium's Tracker NPC?
what sort of plants this NPC would be looking for? herbs are pretty obvious and too easy to get (you can just build a greenhouse and you will have lots of them whenever you need them) strange plants are already quest items for dye trader, some dye ingredients are quest items for Thorium's cook, sunflovers and pumpkin seeds can be bought from dryad, and what other plants there are you can actually collect?

medieval? I do thought about some, such as palladium armors painted gray, it's just, that I was struggling with the idea regarding weapons. a sword would fit them better, but that's kind of tricky to get to work for stationary NPCs to not look kinda odd. polearms are a bit different.
nevertheless, there should be indeed a lot more guard variants.

or did you meant "medi-evil"? as some sort of medieval, evil guards, for evil places? I guess there could be such too, but what sort of looks those would have?

From what I checked the plants you can collect are Herbs (7), Mushrooms (4 normal and 1 for crimson and corruption), Vines (5 + 1 crimson), cactus, sunflower, Dye plants (6 + 2 that are mushrooms), acorns (normal and gemcorns) and maybe he could also ask for seeds (4 + 1 crimson and coruption), nature's gift, jungle rose, jungle spores, life fruit and normal fruit but that would be kinda pointless with the NPC that sells fruit. I've had to edit this list like 3 times because I rememberd another plant so it's possible that I missed some.

And as for the guard I misspelled I ment medieval and they don't need to hold a sword, they could for example hold a poleaxe like this https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im...mberg-castle-guard-gothic-knight-figurine.jpg but if you want swords then I think that a pose like this would be easier https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/03/37/b0033796b4fa20cece10636ad499256b.jpg

Last edited:
From what I checked the plants you can collect are Herbs (7), Mushrooms (4 normal and 1 for crimson and corruption), Vines (5 + 1 crimson), cactus, sunflower, Dye plants (6 + 2 that are mushrooms), acorns (normal and gemcorns) and maybe he could also ask for seeds (4 + 1 crimson and coruption), nature's gift, jungle rose, jungle spores, life fruit and normal fruit but that would be kinda pointless with the NPC that sells fruit. I've had to edit this list like 3 times because I rememberd another plant so it's possible that I missed some.

And as for the guard I misspelled I ment medieval and they don't need to hold a sword, they could for example hold a poleaxe like this https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im...mberg-castle-guard-gothic-knight-figurine.jpg but if you want swords then I think that a pose like this would be easier https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/03/37/b0033796b4fa20cece10636ad499256b.jpg
As for plants...
  • herbs are rather easy to aquire later, once you have seeds for all, and maybe a working greenhouse too.
  • there are some mushrooms, but the orange mushroom is omnipresent, and the others are quite easy to aquire too.
  • you can collect vines only with guide to plant fiber cordage or whatever, and all vines drop the same item.
  • cactus only drops one type too, despite coming in different looks based on hybrid biome.
  • sunflower is sold by the dryad.
  • dye plants are already quest items for Thorium's cook.
  • acorns are easy to get, and so are gemcorns via crafting. this one sounds moderately interesting though.
  • jungle grass and mushroom grass seeds are a bit rare, but hallowed is bought from the dryad, corrupt & crimson are dropped by EoC - Corru & Crim also sells them
  • nature's gift & jungle rose are both sold by the scam artist. (jungle rose is also insanely rare)
  • jungle spores are questionable. but alone that's not enough for a quest system.
  • life fruits are very valuable first, but after, they're just high-price items with no use. Thorium's cook also has a quest for them.
  • normal fruits would be sold by the waitress then, so dunno about quests for them...
So... I don't really see there would be enough plants that are actually challanging to aquire, that would justify a quest-giving NPC for plants. what are somewhat rare and challanging are already quests for Thorium's cook NPC.

I do think quests could be interesting though. but what sort of quests...?

The first knight could work, I guess. Poleaxe? Isn't that a pike or halberd? I'm not an expert at this XD I would just said it's a halberd. Anyway, I generally gave such polearms to other guards too, so technically, could just do the same with more knight-like armors, such as gray painted palladium. they could be something like elite/royal/whatever guards, fitting better for a fancy throne room maybe, than the normal iron-armored guards.
Still, my main concern with this was that swords would fit knights better than halberds? But if you stick a sword in their hand like normal, it looks like it would be kind of tiring standing like that all day... XD lol
With polearms, it looks plausible, I think, since they can put that on the ground, and can lean on that.
You can do that with swords too, indeed, just like on the 2nd picture! I wanted to sprite such, but I don't really see right now, how to sprite a knight holding a sword like that. If could figure it out, that could be a great position for knights to stand in. reminds me of knight stationed to guard some place, like a bridge or something.
Monthy Python's Black Knight, is that you? XD lol

Another way do deal with swords though can be, to put them on the character's belt.
There is this guy for example, the red mage fencer guy I sprited for a mod that got cancelled/on hiatus/whatever
red mage.png
(if we're at it, I could add him as a placeable NPC too, like guards. could try making him into an NPC too, but currently there's no role for him... what would this guy do or sell...?)

It can work with some armors, but it's also quite tricky, because if the sword has the same colors as the armor, it blends in too much. So, this is also a viable option. Though the knight on the 2nd picture looks cooler holding the sword like that. I wonder how to sprite such though...? These can be quite tricky. Town NPCs are rather small afterall, so you have to get the most out of only that many pixels...

By the way, the various hardmode dungeon enemies offer quite some interesting weapons to hold too. swords, sabres, maces, shields, etc. it would worth experimenting around more with those too. It's just that some might would look odd, that a guards stands all day there holding a sword. seems tiring XD

And, the other obvious problem is the amount of sprites. There are already quite some, and there's always room for more, but with having more variants of each armor too, that's a REAL lot of sprites to make - and code - seriously, most of the coding here is just copypasting the same code with minor changes, but doing it 150 times in a row is no fun at all XD could use a little help XD

As for plants...
  • herbs are rather easy to aquire later, once you have seeds for all, and maybe a working greenhouse too.
  • there are some mushrooms, but the orange mushroom is omnipresent, and the others are quite easy to aquire too.
  • you can collect vines only with guide to plant fiber cordage or whatever, and all vines drop the same item.
  • cactus only drops one type too, despite coming in different looks based on hybrid biome.
  • sunflower is sold by the dryad.
  • dye plants are already quest items for Thorium's cook.
  • acorns are easy to get, and so are gemcorns via crafting. this one sounds moderately interesting though.
  • jungle grass and mushroom grass seeds are a bit rare, but hallowed is bought from the dryad, corrupt & crimson are dropped by EoC - Corru & Crim also sells them
  • nature's gift & jungle rose are both sold by the scam artist. (jungle rose is also insanely rare)
  • jungle spores are questionable. but alone that's not enough for a quest system.
  • life fruits are very valuable first, but after, they're just high-price items with no use. Thorium's cook also has a quest for them.
  • normal fruits would be sold by the waitress then, so dunno about quests for them...
So... I don't really see there would be enough plants that are actually challanging to aquire, that would justify a quest-giving NPC for plants. what are somewhat rare and challanging are already quests for Thorium's cook NPC.

I do think quests could be interesting though. but what sort of quests...?
That is what I was worried about with the idea, the only way I could think of how to give him some harder things would be some criters like butterflies and frogs (they kinda fit a garden), but I do understand why you think that there's to little to make an entire NPC
(Also sorry if I ever make any suggestions in the future that are covered by Thorium I haven't played with it yet)

The first knight could work, I guess. Poleaxe? Isn't that a pike or halberd? I'm not an expert at this XD I would just said it's a halberd. Anyway, I generally gave such polearms to other guards too, so technically, could just do the same with more knight-like armors, such as gray painted palladium. they could be something like elite/royal/whatever guards, fitting better for a fancy throne room maybe, than the normal iron-armored guards.
Still, my main concern with this was that swords would fit knights better than halberds? But if you stick a sword in their hand like normal, it looks like it would be kind of tiring standing like that all day... XD lol
With polearms, it looks plausible, I think, since they can put that on the ground, and can lean on that.
You can do that with swords too, indeed, just like on the 2nd picture! I wanted to sprite such, but I don't really see right now, how to sprite a knight holding a sword like that. If could figure it out, that could be a great position for knights to stand in. reminds me of knight stationed to guard some place, like a bridge or something.
Monthy Python's Black Knight, is that you? XD lol

Another way do deal with swords though can be, to put them on the character's belt.
There is this guy for example, the red mage fencer guy I sprited for a mod that got cancelled/on hiatus/whatever
View attachment 280637 (if we're at it, I could add him as a placeable NPC too, like guards. could try making him into an NPC too, but currently there's no role for him... what would this guy do or sell...?)

It can work with some armors, but it's also quite tricky, because if the sword has the same colors as the armor, it blends in too much. So, this is also a viable option. Though the knight on the 2nd picture looks cooler holding the sword like that. I wonder how to sprite such though...? These can be quite tricky. Town NPCs are rather small afterall, so you have to get the most out of only that many pixels...

By the way, the various hardmode dungeon enemies offer quite some interesting weapons to hold too. swords, sabres, maces, shields, etc. it would worth experimenting around more with those too. It's just that some might would look odd, that a guards stands all day there holding a sword. seems tiring XD

And, the other obvious problem is the amount of sprites. There are already quite some, and there's always room for more, but with having more variants of each armor too, that's a REAL lot of sprites to make - and code - seriously, most of the coding here is just copypasting the same code with minor changes, but doing it 150 times in a row is no fun at all XD could use a little help XD
I don't know if it would look weird or not but I think that a scabbard that contrasted the armor well enough could solve the problem with the sword blending in.

I can't think of anything that the guy could do if he was an NPC but from his looks he reminds me of some adventurer if that helps you come up with anything

@Quba It's alright. do tell if you have ideas. it's just tricky to figure out what could work well.
I also don't know about critters either, with the professor selling some of them already, they wouldn't be any challanging to get, once he's selling them...
I don't really see what could be good for being quest items...

I do wonder a bit about banners though. Since they mark that you killed at least 50 of a certain monsters. But instead of quests though they might could be used for crafting things. Or could have quests though, and you could trade them. Dunno.
Point being, as for banners, I have an idea like,

Plushies! or toy figurines. or something. basically, placeable small versions of monsters, you could put on a table, shelf (platform), etc.
They would function exactly like a banner does giving bonus against some monsters, but instead of hanged from blocks, they would be placeable on the ground or on furnitures.

That idea isn't new though, I thought of it when I written the quotes of Corru & Crim. If you seen that quote, Curru has one quote about a corruptor plushie.
I do think a room full of fluffy-fluffy plushies of all those horrible corruption monsters would be something quite fitting for Corru. Then, it's a question whether should go with plushies for other things too, or other sort of toys, like, what about a face monster action figurine? lol XD things like prepared hornet specimen could fit the professor's study room too. There are tons of possibilities. I just don't know how to sprite such... (the vodoo dolls might offer some ideas about some general directions for such though)

But that again would mean like 300 sprites to make... which is a real lot...

Yes, scabbard can work. But that would mostly mean just putting the same sword on a belt sprite on most of those guards. It could have some other variants too... But then again, it would mean lots of new sprites to make XD lol
I mean, I like spriting them. but when it's just copypasting stuff, it's not fun.

Yeah... I have no idea for any role for him either in this mod... whatever. I just bought up that character because of the sword on the belt on his sprite.

Actually I think I came up with a possible idea for that guy, Archer. We have the Arms dealer for guns but there's nothing for bow users but I don't know how nesccesery that would be.

Actually I think I came up with a possible idea for that guy, Archer. We have the Arms dealer for guns but there's nothing for bow users but I don't know how nesccesery that would be.
He doesn't looks like an archer, I think...
And, the merchant already sells arrows - which are easy and cheap to craft from wood and stone anyway. other archer ammo are created similarly like other bullets, right? crafted from regular arrows and other stuff.
And bows are crafted easily, or otherwise dropped by bosses.
I see no reason to add a character like that for vanilla items only. it would make some sense, if a mod offers more archer gadgets though.

in comparison, the arms dealer sells only a few stuff too. it's part that you can't craft musket balls, why he's crucial if you're using guns. otherwise he only sells a few things. flintlock pistol is rather useless since you almost all the time would have a musket or undertaker to get him to move in, to begin with (although it could allow for more players to buy guns in multiplayer) then, there's the minishark, which is strong, but it's just one weapon. illegal gun parts that craft a few weapons. and some ammo. he has a rather small shop overall. it's just that those things can't be crafted, why he's important for rangers using guns. He might be there for balance reasons. Plus, he's an overal fun guy to have around, but his shop is rather small.

That aside, I also had some other silly ideas.
Mimic merchant!
(would need to figure out what sort of AI it should have to work though, to be stationary, and also friendly)
So, this would be like skeleton merchant, appearing randomly underground (only in hardmode maybe)
look like a gold chest mimic, so, it could spawn offset and stuff, that tells that it's not an actual gold chest. approach with caution, or you shoot at it from far, but nothing happens, you get closer and click on it to open if it's a chest, only to be greeted by a friendly mimic XD
"Hello there, wanna buy something?"
alternative even with some quotes like "Mimic?! Where?!"
Sounds like it could be funny, and catch players off-guard a bit the first time they encounter it XD
and would make mimics a bit more fun, so you couldn't be that sure whether it's a dangerous one, or a silly odd merchant mimic XD
not sure what would it sell though. treasures that mimics drop...? dunno if there is need of a merchant like this, but it might could be funny, and surprising. XD

(same could work with things like lost girl too, for the same reason, players used to it that the lost girl is actually not a lots girl, but a nymph, so almost no one will be tricked by them by now, or they would fool you only once, and never again. but if there would be an actual lost girl... it could be different.
However the lost girl is a tricky one to work with, because while she is naked in vanilla too, Tmodloader has quite strict rules for stuff (even though there are mods that add things that look like girls naked/half naked?, like those bottled waifus in Calamity? I dunno them much though since I don't usually play calamity.) point being, breaking rules could get the mod deleted, so I'm careful with any content that sounds like could break the rules. that's why lost girls are tricky.

(likewise, a stationary lost girl (like the guards) could have very high and actually funny troll value, if someone put it in the cavern and you have no lifeform analiser yet, to tell you that is just a fake one.
but tinkering with lost girls seems dangerous regarding rules, so I will probably avoid that.

(I did used the lost girl's sprite for the Scam artist though, to begin with. She's not naked though, so she's fine regarding rules about forbidden content for Tmodloader, like nudity)

I think that the mimic could combine the scam artist (but cheaper) and mimic loot. When you find it it would randomly select from items found in underground chests (maybe also dependent on what biome you find it) and a rearer chance of mimic chest items.

I think that the mimic could combine the scam artist (but cheaper) and mimic loot. When you find it it would randomly select from items found in underground chests (maybe also dependent on what biome you find it) and a rearer chance of mimic chest items.
Maybe... it might could have a random selection of items from some - such as mimic drops - (I don't see much point selling the same stuff the scam artist already sells) - but it would end up quite like skeleton merchant then, that you rarely see him having some of the special items he sell (like magic lantern) because he appears rarely, to begin with.
So, then this one wouldn't be perticularly useful either.

If it would sell all the gadgets, mimic can drop, that could help with issues when you're looking for a cross necklace or something, but you just got your 3rd phylosopher's stone intead...

I don't think that giving him all items from mimics is a good idea, it would eliminate grind but it would allow you to get some really powefull stuff very quickly if you are lucky enough to find him.

I don't think that giving him all items from mimics is a good idea, it would eliminate grind but it would allow you to get some really powefull stuff very quickly if you are lucky enough to find him.
You are right with that. It should be more balanced that that. and money isn't really a concern at that point usually anyway.
Still, would it be good, if it just sells some of those at a time? then it's not much different than stumbling on a regular, hostile mimic... Though that might be okay.

You are right with that. It should be more balanced that that. and money isn't really a concern at that point usually anyway.
Still, would it be good, if it just sells some of those at a time? then it's not much different than stumbling on a regular, hostile mimic... Though that might be okay.
I would say that it is different. With a normal mimic you get a random chance of gretting one item from their pool but the merchent would give you a selection of a few items for some money

Another small sugestion I have would be to give the Scam Artist or the Mimic NPC Lucky Horseshoe and Shiny Red Ballon. From what I understand as long as you have 3 islands you will get all of the items from the pool but it's possible to get a world with less islands making the only way to get them fishing, and since there are many recepies that use them you would need a lot of luck to get enough of them to make what you want.

Back
Top Bottom