Wacky NPCs Mod

Another small sugestion I have would be to give the Scam Artist or the Mimic NPC Lucky Horseshoe and Shiny Red Ballon. From what I understand as long as you have 3 islands you will get all of the items from the pool but it's possible to get a world with less islands making the only way to get them fishing, and since there are many recepies that use them you would need a lot of luck to get enough of them to make what you want.
Agree with this, but for that, should figure it out how to have an NPC sell more stuff than 40.
And these items are more useful/needed pre-hardmode, so not sure how useful it would be, if a hardmode NPC sells them.
I do think though, Alchemist NPCs added a relatively new NPC, the tinkerer, who sells these? Not 100% sure on this though.

Agree with this, but for that, should figure it out how to have an NPC sell more stuff than 40.
And these items are more useful/needed pre-hardmode, so not sure how useful it would be, if a hardmode NPC sells them.
I do think though, Alchemist NPCs added a relatively new NPC, the tinkerer, who sells these? Not 100% sure on this though.
I checked the tinkerer and yeah he does sell them, I just started playing with Alchemist so I didn't consider him
I would say that they are usefull becouse after crafting with them you can get some of the best mobility items in the game.

I checked the tinkerer and yeah he does sell them, I just started playing with Alchemist so I didn't consider him
I would say that they are usefull becouse after crafting with them you can get some of the best mobility items in the game.
Yes, I have Alchemist NPCs lite too, and that's part why there are some roles I have no NPCs here. generally, I try to avoid adding roles that are already fulfilled by NPCs in Thorium and Alchemist NPCs (also, there's a Lumberjack NPC mod somewhere too, why I don't have such an NPC, because otherwise being able to buy wood would be really useful. I think though, the Architect also sells wood)

And, yes, in the playthrough earlier, I had bundle of balloons + pink (sharkron) horseshoe balloon + frog gear late pre-hardmode (because I was looking for water walking boots and checked several worlds, and if I was at it, checked some floating islands too) then, also terraspark boots too, and the character had insanely great mobility for pre-hardmode!

Some mods also offer even bigger bundles of balloons, so it's a great idea to be able to buy them. because you can really easily aquire several balloons from several worlds, but fishing for them is really tough, because they're very rare that way.
Kinda same goes for terraspark boots too, but as things are now, I do think Thorium's Cobbler sells water walking boots (and later lava waders too, I think in hardmode?) the scam artist sells lava charm, and the tinkerer maybe sells both, so either way, it would be a lot easier to get the lava waders.

I came up with some new ideas

I. NPC's
  1. Zookeeper? (I don't know what to call them, zoologist would fit better but it's taken) - They would be simmilar to the Angler and Gardener I suggested before but for critters. Before 1.4 collecting critters was mostly useless, some of them could be used as bait but most of them could only be sold, put in cages or in some cases used in building statues, the NPC would add another use for them with quests. As of 1.4 there are 82 catchable, non-boss summoning critters. Unfortunatly I'm not sure what he could give as a reward for completing quests.
  2. Wizard's Apprentice - I feel like early game magic user is one of the least represanted classes, the first decent magic weapons are the gem staves but even they don't feel that good. They would join you early in the game and sell some magic items like the first tier of the gem staves, small mana potions and maybe some accesories like the Band of Starpower.
II.Civilians
  1. Some more ''normal'' people - Outside of the pirates, traveling gypsies and some of the dwarves I feel that there aren't any normal people to populate towns, there is the dynasty set but it only really fits dynasty styled buildings.
  2. Mannequin/Womannequin but with faces - I don't know how hard it would be to make something like this but adding in versions of mannequins with faces and without the stands could allow people to create whatever civillians they want (as long as what they want them to wear is something in the game). Also there could be multiple versions based on the default character styles.
  3. Pets - I feel like some sitting dogs or cats could work really well.

@Quba

There are some interesting ideas among these, hmm...

As for zookeeper, I don't know... as for one, lots of critters (mostly bugs) are sold by the professor, which would make is so that those would be too easy to aquire. other critters might would work, but no idea about rewards at all...

wizard apprentice sounds interesting as an NPC, but... gem staves are easy to aquire, especially the first tier. just go mining a bit, if you know you want to craft them, they're easy to get, much prior to EoC even. it's a bit luck-based though, whether you find enough gems or not. lesser mana potions are sold by the merchant, and band of starpower is sold by the corruption fangirl - like any corruption-related gadgets. - the jeweller also sells it, I think.
so, these don't sound like justifying an NPC selling just these...

As for civilians, I'm avare that there are no sets for other towns yet. I would like to add more in the future.
But let's just stop there for a sec. mannequins with faces sounds like a really awesome idea!!! I don't know how easy or difficult that could be though, but theoretically that could offer amazing possibilities.
Not perfect, because of manneqin bottom part, and mannequins have no hair either - there is a head mannequin in Chad'sfurni though that has hair, but you can't put armor on that - but if it is possible to code, it could be a very-very good idea indeed.

pets could work too, yeah. some would be better animated though. don't know how to make such yet though...

@Quba
wizard apprentice sounds interesting as an NPC, but... gem staves are easy to aquire, especially the first tier. just go mining a bit, if you know you want to craft them, they're easy to get, much prior to EoC even. it's a bit luck-based though, whether you find enough gems or not. lesser mana potions are sold by the merchant, and band of starpower is sold by the corruption fangirl - like any corruption-related gadgets. - the jeweller also sells it, I think.
so, these don't sound like justifying an NPC selling just these...
There is actually something I forgot to mention about them. I originally thought that after hardmode he would have some summoning related stuff but maybe this could be turned ito what he does ?
I didn't check anything but I do know that summoning weapons are usually very rare and not powerfull enough to justify the grind but if he sold stuff like the Slime Staff and Finch Staff they would become a lot more usefull.

There is actually something I forgot to mention about them. I originally thought that after hardmode he would have some summoning related stuff but maybe this could be turned ito what he does ?
I didn't check anything but I do know that summoning weapons are usually very rare and not powerfull enough to justify the grind but if he sold stuff like the Slime Staff and Finch Staff they would become a lot more usefull.
well, yes, early game summoning gear are really grindy or based entirelly on luck if you find a chest with them.
However this brings up balance problems. you would need them for pure summoner, but any other class can buy them, for some additional firepower. which would be very strong early game where the summoner lacks these things the most. this is quite tricky to figure out...

well, yes, early game summoning gear are really grindy or based entirelly on luck if you find a chest with them.
However this brings up balance problems. you would need them for pure summoner, but any other class can buy them, for some additional firepower. which would be very strong early game where the summoner lacks these things the most. this is quite tricky to figure out...
Unfortunatly I feel like this is a problem with the summoning class as a whole so I think that no matter how you would try to balance the shop you couldn't fix this issue without some mods that changed how summoner works. The best thing I can think off is some serious gating behind bosses and events.

Also going back to the zookeeper briefly, even after cutting out all bugs there are still 49 critters which is more then the number of quest fish (41) but I'm not exactly sure what the professor sells so the number could be diffrent.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly I feel like this is a problem with the summoning class as a whole so I think that no matter how you would try to balance the shop you couldn't fix this issue without some mods that changed how summoner works. The best thing I can think off is some serious gating behind bosses and events.

Also going back to the zookeeper briefly, even after cutting out all bugs there are still 49 critters which is more then the number of quest fish (41) but I'm not exactly sure what the professor sells so the number could be diffrent.
Summoner class is quite tricky... especially pre-hardmode, there are barely anything for summoner class... but that "barely anything" can be a bit of an additional firepower to any other classes. I don't really know how could that be solved...

well, hmm... but what sort of rewards that NPC would give?

Summoner class is quite tricky... especially pre-hardmode, there are barely anything for summoner class... but that "barely anything" can be a bit of an additional firepower to any other classes. I don't really know how could that be solved...

well, hmm... but what sort of rewards that NPC would give?
Maybe some money + some animal themed items and accesories ? Stuff like Baloon Pufferfish, Frog Leg, Frozen Turtle Shell and Animal skins but I don't know if there's enough stuff to give him.

Maybe some money + some animal themed items and accesories ? Stuff like Baloon Pufferfish, Frog Leg, Frozen Turtle Shell and Animal skins but I don't know if there's enough stuff to give him.
Nah... half of that is fishing themed, and you might will pick them up either way while doing angler quests.
Frozen turtle shell is interesting, though it's rather limited. animal skins are sold by traveling merchant...

I don't really see how could it work like this. ...however it might could work in some mods that adds more accessories, etc. where such can be rewards. because none of the vanilla gadgets really sound like could make good - and themed - rewards for such quests.

As for civilians, I'm avare that there are no sets for other towns yet. I would like to add more in the future.
But let's just stop there for a sec. mannequins with faces sounds like a really awesome idea!!! I don't know how easy or difficult that could be though, but theoretically that could offer amazing possibilities.
Not perfect, because of manneqin bottom part, and mannequins have no hair either - there is a head mannequin in Chad'sfurni though that has hair, but you can't put armor on that - but if it is possible to code, it could be a very-very good idea indeed.
I think I came up with some ideas how to fix the issue with hair. The first idea are wigs, you could add in wigs of some or maybe even all hairstyles which would allow you to put any hairstyle on the mannequin without needing to make a diffrent one for each hairstyle. Alternativly another idea I came up with is that if you right clicked the mannequin it would open up a menu that would allow you to put in clothes & dyes and let you cycle through hair styles.

I think I came up with some ideas how to fix the issue with hair. The first idea are wigs, you could add in wigs of some or maybe even all hairstyles which would allow you to put any hairstyle on the mannequin without needing to make a diffrent one for each hairstyle. Alternativly another idea I came up with is that if you right clicked the mannequin it would open up a menu that would allow you to put in clothes & dyes and let you cycle through hair styles.
It might be possible to make, but that might be very difficult to code. I definitely would need help with something like that. it do sounds like a nice idea though.

I think I came up with an idea how to balance Wizard's Apprentice but it would probably be really hard to implement. Instead of buying things with coins (except for maybe the finch staff) they would have their own currency, summoning tokens (or something like that), they would have a chance to drop from an enemy if they were killed by summoning damage (so with a summoned minion, sentry or a whip). This way unless you grind, the items from the shop would be a lot harder to get for people focusing on other damage types. The biggest problems I can see with this is how difficult it would be to implement a system like this and since whips are also counted as summonig damage despite being a melee weapon you could ignore the summonig weapons and use a good whip untill you have enough to buy a good summon and then we would be back to the same problem as before.

@Quba
Special currencies are interesting stuff. I was just discussing them with someone the other day, how difficult it would be to code that. she said it's not that difficult. I hope so. XD
So, regarding special currencies, I was wondering how to balance out the waitress's shop (although I do wonder about redesigning the waitress, because her design feels somehow lacking. maybe lacking a bit more wacky-ness? XD I will return to that later, once I tinkered around a bit with spriting for some new design for her - or him? How about a trap?)

So, I thought, how about "restaurant vouchers"? it would be a special currency, that might has a chance to drop from any enemies or something (or what enemies should drop it?) let's say it's rare, like, 1% - if anything can drop it - or maybe more common? anyway, so, it would be a special currency for that shop. things like fruits and common food (if she sells such) would be like 1 voucher, or 2. but rare food would be more expensive, and higher tier ones would be more expensive.

Also wondering about a moon-phase dependant shop, so there would be different food on the menu every day, in a rotating fashion (so not random)

Now, as for the wizard apprentice, or summoner guy or whatever, that's an interesting approach. another thing I have no idea how to code though, that enemies would only drop it if they were killed by summon dmg.
It is not an entirelly wrong idea, but somehow still feels like need more tinkering.
Summoner turns into an alright class in hardmode eventually, it's mostly early game where they need more stuff.
Some mods like Thorium offers early game armors and stuff for them too though, I think.
How to fix summoner is a difficult issue...

And, now something else random.
I was tinkering with spriting, and made this.

The Cyber Fangirl.
cyber fangirlA.png
cyber fangirlB.png
(normal and with a large wrench or something)

The 4th fangirl who should be there, just like the biome she loves. Because The Cyber is an awesome idea, it should be in the game ages ago, and yet, there isn't even a mod yet, that would have it.
Naturally, without the biome she has no reason to be there either.
(if could get permission from Zoomo, and there would be some people capable to code it, it could be an interesting approach to use her to buy the things to create an artifical cyber biome... but I don't know if there's any real chance for such a thing to happen...

So, anyway, this one is more like just a concept to play around with.
She has the color theme of The Cyber, obviously, and somehow ended up kinda looking like Hatsune Miku, huh? that wasn't my original intention. She also kinda reminds me of Team Galactic. - also somewhat based on some Magnezone human-form, I seen somewhere.

Following the same fashion of having each (vanilla) class represented - and as I mentioned it when blabbering about the Hallow Fangirl - the Cyber fangirl would be a summoner class herself, probably fight in a similar fashion as the Truffle, just summoning something like mini mods, instead of fungi spores, that stay in one place and do dmg. to monsters that walk though them, etc.

Her personality should resemble the biome she likes, just like the others'. Now, of course, we don't know how the atmosphere of the Cyber actually would be like in-game, but just basing that on what we know about it, and some general, not quite related, but fitting stuff. robotic, computer stuff, technobabble and the like. (Also GLaDOS quotes and modified ones? Because Portal is awesome too, and it's referenced in Terraria anyway?)
She is not a robot, android, cyborg or anything, she just a human pretending to be one?

"404. Cyber biome not found."

"If you see any errors in the Cyber, please contact a moderator. ...Don't bother them too much though, they don't like that."

"Want a canister of Miracle Fuel?"

"Your argument is invalid. I'm a Fangirl."

"For Science."

"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

"For more information, please attend a Cyber Biome Electrical Safety seminar."

"In dangerous testing environments, the - cough, cough - ...promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, most monster will kill you. Try to avoid them."

Well, something like that XD
But... there's no Cyber Biome in the game... so, currently she would have no reason to be actually added either.
Too bad...
Well, anyway, I'm just curious what everyone thinks about that.

@Quba
Special currencies are interesting stuff. I was just discussing them with someone the other day, how difficult it would be to code that. she said it's not that difficult. I hope so. XD
So, regarding special currencies, I was wondering how to balance out the waitress's shop (although I do wonder about redesigning the waitress, because her design feels somehow lacking. maybe lacking a bit more wacky-ness? XD I will return to that later, once I tinkered around a bit with spriting for some new design for her - or him? How about a trap?)

So, I thought, how about "restaurant vouchers"? it would be a special currency, that might has a chance to drop from any enemies or something (or what enemies should drop it?) let's say it's rare, like, 1% - if anything can drop it - or maybe more common? anyway, so, it would be a special currency for that shop. things like fruits and common food (if she sells such) would be like 1 voucher, or 2. but rare food would be more expensive, and higher tier ones would be more expensive.

Also wondering about a moon-phase dependant shop, so there would be different food on the menu every day, in a rotating fashion (so not random)

Now, as for the wizard apprentice, or summoner guy or whatever, that's an interesting approach. another thing I have no idea how to code though, that enemies would only drop it if they were killed by summon dmg.
It is not an entirelly wrong idea, but somehow still feels like need more tinkering.
Summoner turns into an alright class in hardmode eventually, it's mostly early game where they need more stuff.
Some mods like Thorium offers early game armors and stuff for them too though, I think.
How to fix summoner is a difficult issue...

And, now something else random.
I was tinkering with spriting, and made this.

The Cyber Fangirl.
View attachment 281928 View attachment 281929 (normal and with a large wrench or something)

The 4th fangirl who should be there, just like the biome she loves. Because The Cyber is an awesome idea, it should be in the game ages ago, and yet, there isn't even a mod yet, that would have it.
Naturally, without the biome she has no reason to be there either.
(if could get permission from Zoomo, and there would be some people capable to code it, it could be an interesting approach to use her to buy the things to create an artifical cyber biome... but I don't know if there's any real chance for such a thing to happen...

So, anyway, this one is more like just a concept to play around with.
She has the color theme of The Cyber, obviously, and somehow ended up kinda looking like Hatsune Miku, huh? that wasn't my original intention. She also kinda reminds me of Team Galactic. - also somewhat based on some Magnezone human-form, I seen somewhere.

Following the same fashion of having each (vanilla) class represented - and as I mentioned it when blabbering about the Hallow Fangirl - the Cyber fangirl would be a summoner class herself, probably fight in a similar fashion as the Truffle, just summoning something like mini mods, instead of fungi spores, that stay in one place and do dmg. to monsters that walk though them, etc.

Her personality should resemble the biome she likes, just like the others'. Now, of course, we don't know how the atmosphere of the Cyber actually would be like in-game, but just basing that on what we know about it, and some general, not quite related, but fitting stuff. robotic, computer stuff, technobabble and the like. (Also GLaDOS quotes and modified ones? Because Portal is awesome too, and it's referenced in Terraria anyway?)
She is not a robot, android, cyborg or anything, she just a human pretending to be one?

"404. Cyber biome not found."

"If you see any errors in the Cyber, please contact a moderator. ...Don't bother them too much though, they don't like that."

"Want a canister of Miracle Fuel?"

"Your argument is invalid. I'm a Fangirl."

"For Science."

"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

"For more information, please attend a Cyber Biome Electrical Safety seminar."

"In dangerous testing environments, the - cough, cough - ...promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, most monster will kill you. Try to avoid them."

Well, something like that XD
But... there's no Cyber Biome in the game... so, currently she would have no reason to be actually added either.
Too bad...
Well, anyway, I'm just curious what everyone thinks about that.
Maybe the vouchers could be dropped by the enemies that already drop the food in the game ? (for example the Flying fish could have 10% chance to drop 1 ticket)

Yeah I agree, The Cyber is a great idea, I'm not the biggest fan of The Hallow's aesthetic and the Cyber looks way better while still fitting the game (maybe even more with the mechnical bosses). I like how the girl look but it sucks that without the biome she would be pretty useless, the only thing I can think of that she could do is being a joke NPC that would sell some mechanical stuff and tell people how great a Cyber biome would be.

Also if some of her dialogue would be inspired by GLados she should have a line about how she hates lemons and should hate the forrest/graveyard becouse birds/crows.

Maybe the vouchers could be dropped by the enemies that already drop the food in the game ? (for example the Flying fish could have 10% chance to drop 1 ticket)

Yeah I agree, The Cyber is a great idea, I'm not the biggest fan of The Hallow's aesthetic and the Cyber looks way better while still fitting the game (maybe even more with the mechnical bosses). I like how the girl look but it sucks that without the biome she would be pretty useless, the only thing I can think of that she could do is being a joke NPC that would sell some mechanical stuff and tell people how great a Cyber biome would be.

Also if some of her dialogue would be inspired by GLados she should have a line about how she hates lemons and should hate the forrest/graveyard becouse birds/crows.

10% sounds alright for semi-rare enemies such as flying fish, but some other enemies that drop food are much more common, such as crimeras. you could get tons of vouchers that way, so that would sound a bit much...

I love the Hallow too, but the Cyber makes a much better counterpart for the Crimson
If you ask me, I would like to have all of them on a map.
But, there wouldn't be much point of her being there, if she serves no purpose. So I dunno what to do...

Lemons? Not potatoes? I actually couldn't play Portal 2 past some point, because it always crashes around slightly after the part where GLaDOS gets revived. I read about some stuff though. I did completed Portal 1 though, it's absolutely awesome.

10% sounds alright for semi-rare enemies such as flying fish, but some other enemies that drop food are much more common, such as crimeras. you could get tons of vouchers that way, so that would sound a bit much...

I love the Hallow too, but the Cyber makes a much better counterpart for the Crimson
If you ask me, I would like to have all of them on a map.
But, there wouldn't be much point of her being there, if she serves no purpose. So I dunno what to do...

Lemons? Not potatoes? I actually couldn't play Portal 2 past some point, because it always crashes around slightly after the part where GLaDOS gets revived. I read about some stuff though. I did completed Portal 1 though, it's absolutely awesome.
In Portal 2, Cave Johnson the founder of Apature Science has a very memorable line about lemons but potatoes could also fit.

In Portal 2, Cave Johnson the founder of Apature Science has a very memorable line about lemons but potatoes could also fit.

Lol interesting. That could be referenced as well or something XD
But, overall, for start, she should have a purpose justifying why she would be in the mod, to begin with. And without the Cyber in there, I'm not quite sure what could justify her being there...

The best thing I can think of is the joke NPC idea I said earlier but that would leave her practicly useless unless someone made a mod that added Cyber and after it gets made she would become a mini mod that requied it to work.
If the cyber would get added, whoever made it surely would implements ways to aquire it too. or if they want, I could get this NPC to work. or if not in that mod, I would add it there with cross-mod content to that mod.

However without that, she has no real reason to be there. Should think some more about her though, if there is any way to implement her that she is not useless.

Anyway, it's more just a concept right now.

Back
Top Bottom