Wacky NPCs Mod

@Quba
I definitelly can see the connection between cloth and mumies, but I still would associate mumies with desert not the regular corruption. they're still pretty much the only human-like thing the corruption offers... well, there's corrupt versions of ghouls, and tainted lamiae, but all of those are more related to the desert than the corruption (...that goes for the mumy too) I think... quite tricky.

When it comes to sewing, another thing coming to my mind are spiders which are repesented in the game (and the silk you make is coming from the spiders web too) so something like a drider or arache could be interesting... but those have no connection to the corruption...

I looked though the wiki again, and there's just nothing in the basic corruption that would even remotely resemble a human, or any monsters that seems like you could at least talk with. or anything. like, ...they don't even walk like a town NPCs, but fly/float, dig through blocks, cling from the ceiling... it's really crazy XD lol

as for the vending machine, I like the idea that it would get destroyed after, but that might needs some complex AI.
with several NPCs to sell food, it's nowhere really necessary, I think it might would be interesting though - besides the shock value of seeing one the first time XD lol - but that it often happens (though it might would be different with NPCs selling food) that your well fed run out while you're in the middle of caving, and you didn't brought any more food, but you don't want to go back home yet either. at those times, it would be quite useful XD

@Quba
I definitelly can see the connection between cloth and mumies, but I still would associate mumies with desert not the regular corruption. they're still pretty much the only human-like thing the corruption offers... well, there's corrupt versions of ghouls, and tainted lamiae, but all of those are more related to the desert than the corruption (...that goes for the mumy too) I think... quite tricky.

When it comes to sewing, another thing coming to my mind are spiders which are repesented in the game (and the silk you make is coming from the spiders web too) so something like a drider or arache could be interesting... but those have no connection to the corruption...

I looked though the wiki again, and there's just nothing in the basic corruption that would even remotely resemble a human, or any monsters that seems like you could at least talk with. or anything. like, ...they don't even walk like a town NPCs, but fly/float, dig through blocks, cling from the ceiling... it's really crazy XD lol

as for the vending machine, I like the idea that it would get destroyed after, but that might needs some complex AI.
with several NPCs to sell food, it's nowhere really necessary, I think it might would be interesting though - besides the shock value of seeing one the first time XD lol - but that it often happens (though it might would be different with NPCs selling food) that your well fed run out while you're in the middle of caving, and you didn't brought any more food, but you don't want to go back home yet either. at those times, it would be quite useful XD
I just came up with another idea and this one is even weirder, a Corrupt Slime/Slimer slime girl. You have a connection to normal corruption, they would be human-like and slime is an actual toy so there's a connection there.

I just came up with another idea and this one is even weirder, a Corrupt Slime/Slimer slime girl. You have a connection to normal corruption, they would be human-like and slime is an actual toy so there's a connection there.
That's an interesting idea too XD There are already such in a mod though as pets.
That sort of stuff brings up ideas regarding cross-mod contents.
There surely would be some stuff to use from some other mods, if they allow it. perticularly some armors/vanity from Thorium for more guards/civilians.

So, yeah, that is another possibility, though I'm not quite sure about it.

If we think about these NPCs by the way, I was wondering what about some "lore" behind them. (not actually a lot of lore, and nothing affecting the world all that much like calamity's lore things)
I mean, just like a sort of explanation how come the crimson kitchen barkeep is a face monsters, but don't want to eat you in whole or anything like that XD

This another useless thing, and might won't do anything with it anyway.
but so, lore or something told that face monsters are the outcome of human sacrifices for the crimson. they do seems to be alive, but seemingly lacks self-awareness, not self-conscious, and also going by the bestiary, lack feelings and follow the hive mind. they're probably quite useful for the crimson because they are a lot more capable than most other monsters (going by the fact that they can open doors)

so, when wondering about this barkeep, somehow I thought a story like
long ago, there was a baron, sorrounded by many servants. his manor might have been near the crimson, but it wasn't really a problem. however at some point his wife fell seriously ill or died, and he went mad, and in hope of save/resurrect her, he started to sacrifice his servants. eventually he met his end in some way too. the crimson kitchen barkeep might used to be the baron's buttler or something - explaining him being posh, polite and elegant - and while he got sacrificed, somehow he turned out as a sort of anomaly, while largely disfigured, he remained self-conscious and doesn't follows the hive mind.
After that, he opened up a restaurant somewhere and tries to live his life in relative peace - but still more interesting than if he would just turned into a hermit secluding himself from the world in a cave.

well, that's quite random and dark, so that might be not really useful or needed.
lore is often rather unnecessary, and everyone can just think out their own. though in a few cases, knowing a few little information can add a lot to the characters. like how the mechanic and the goblin tinkerer are in love with each other. that's really cute, and inspires many builds to somehow feature them living close to each other - even prior it would actually gave them happiness bonus.

but like, just when wondering "why is there a sentient face monster with an impressive moustache operating a weird restaurant underground?" we can just take it as granted, or think more, and deep under the wackiness, who knows what sort dark past lies... or there could be happier stories too. but going by the lore that face monsters are the results of human sacrifices, there's surely at least one part in his past life, that was really dark... it's scary to think too deep about it, huh...

But, I think he's generally a jolly guy who doesn't laments too much on his past. And there's really not much point thinking too deep about such dark things, since that's rather different than the general atmosphere of the mod, I think.

We're still back on the idea that I don't really know what would be a good corruption counterpart though XD Maybe should just focus on other ideas regarding the mod, and implement that when there's some good idea what would make a fitting counterpart.

Well, it might be not cuteness we have in mind when see a worm XD but it's just to add for the wackiness. also, I read some quote somewhere like "anything can be cute, even an axe, as long as it has a cute face and stuff" XD

Well, not restaurant. but on the line of plushies... maybe like a weaver's workshop, or a toy shop or something... I don't know. XD
The problem is that there's no corrupt monsters that would resemble a human. (there are festering walkers in Thorium but that's something else. I also don't know if I ever seen those, maybe because walking monsters would have trouble in the landscape of the corruption (which is probably why vanilla corruption doesn't feature walking monsters there))

so... any ideas on that...? XD

I see you've been discussing! Hope I'm not late? Toy shop sounds nice, I haven't actually paid much attention to the older info about this mod, but from the sound of it, a restaurant sells food, no? What would the toy shop have as a counterpart?

As for why corruption has no walking mobs, I have to disagree. This isn't really related given I'm just nitpicking about mob movement, but I have seen a lot of slimes on my sky builds and in chasms leaping around and falling long distances... zombies falling into holes... the Guide in one of my worlds walks outside every morning to fall into a cave...
Corruption has slimes, and they do all that, so...

Funny quote. :D

@The True Destroyer
Well that idea is on the line of plushies and figurines, but the original idea on them was - and I think that one is more balanced - that they're crafted with banners of respective monsters. (and in return, function the same, except being placeable on flat surfaces (like the floor or a table or a shelf) instead of hung from the ceiling)

banners are odd things... though, the actual banners that tend to annoy me more are not these, but banners of monsters you fight around your base. slimes, zombies & other nocturnal stuff, and invasion enemies, because if you want to utilise the power of banners, you will end up having rooms full of banners, which really annoys me as a builder...

It is true that walking mobs like slimes or zombies occassionally spawn on floating islands and similar player-made structures (as long as they're below the "space" biome) and end up falling down, but their natural habitat is the forest biome that usually is not like that.
- and the guide doing dumb things is nothing really out of his character by start... XD lol (that aside, it usually depends on how something is built. if you consider NPCs AI and movement, you can build in ways that they don't end up in your zombie trap ...at least most of the time... XD)

Also it is true that corrupt slimes are earth-bound and may fall into the chasms, but most other corruption enemies doesn't. even the elusive slimer has wings (at least until the player doesn't interacts with them in the language of swords and arrows) to fly over the chasms.
and corrupt slimes are also only part of the corruption's monster repertoire in hardmode, where it will often spread to areas that aren't full of vertical holes like the corruption biomes at the start. and at those areas, corrupt slimes won't just mindlessly fall into the chasms.

one of the (many) reasons though why I like crimson better. the corruption's chasms are a pain to travel though early game (prior to acessories like anything in a bottle, or a grappling hook), and also not really good for a place to build some structures on - at least the usual houses. - it probably could offer a really interesting area to build on though, if you have ideas how to include that unusual landscape into the design.

anyway, my concern on no much walking enemies in the corruption is regarding that it's hard to find anything that could make an interesting town NPC...

anyway, my concern on no much walking enemies in the corruption is regarding that it's hard to find anything that could make an interesting town NPC...

A clinger would be interesting, but freaky and immobile... on second thought, it'd be inadequate.

A friendly mimic!? Weird. Also considering biome mimics work for other biomes too....

both of those are hardmode-only :sigh:

A clinger would be interesting, but freaky and immobile... on second thought, it'd be inadequate.

A friendly mimic!? Weird. Also considering biome mimics work for other biomes too....

both of those are hardmode-only :sigh:
Haha, see? that's the problem XD there's really nothing that would make a good town NPC in the way they are now. I mean, I did added some details to the face monster, but a clinger still wouldn't look any friendlier, even if you put a Poirot moustache on it... XD or that's what I think XD lol

The friendly mimics idea is another thing though, I did written about it before, as a possible planned skeleton-merchant type hardmode NPCs. but that's not realed to the corruption either. XD

In the end of the day though, there might be no need of a corrupt counterpart for the crimson kitchen barkeep, but it's just interesting the corruption doesn't really features walker monsters, or anything human like.
on a side note, it seems that Terraria Otherworld would offered some presumably walker-type monster like triffids and scavangers - might be, because it appears that most of the world there would be corrupt by the start, so very likely not full of chasms, but actually mostly large ebonwood forests. sounds interesting too, because you rarely see ebonwood forests, because of the landscape of the corruption. it also would be interesting to see those monsters in the game though. along with some other ideas from Overworld.

I looked into some Terraria Otherworld stuff and I would say that the only option from it is the Triffid (the walking mushroom thing ?). We can't really tell what's a corruption monster vs a normal monster in the trailers and out of the group of the ones we know for sure 2 are from normal Terraria and one is just a hand coming out from the ground.

Last edited:
I looked into some Terraria Otherworld stuff and I would say that the only option from it is the Triffid (the walking mushroom thing ?). We can't really tell what's a corruption monster vs a normal monster in the trailers and out of the group of the ones we know for sure 2 are from normal Terraria and one is just a hand coming out from the ground.
Sure, one is just an eater of souls and the other is a devourer, but the other two are new.
Triffid looks interesting too, like a sort of easy enemy for the corruption - they might attacks in larger groups? or they might serve as a monster to see the most early game, if the player is not well eqipped, if most of the would is corrupt, since then traveling around would be difficult.

Scavangers are interesting too, but if you look at it from closer, I think it is not a hand coming from the ground, but it has 4 little legs, and that large thing on the top that's either the head, arm, or some weapon (or maybe several things in one). it looks a bit like some sort of scorpion.

it would be interesting to see these creatures in the game too.

Another random critter idea

Sea bunny
No idea if it could have any functions besides what most critters are good for, like placing them in a terrarion/bottle to display (or that some end up on the dinning table, but that's another thing)
But, so if you think about the ocean, there are several creatures, but overall not that much. Some mods do add more stuff though, which is quite awesome.
When you think about how bunnies being such a common, even signature critters of Terraria, what about more bunnies? and then there's the creature called "Jorunna Parva" (AKA sea bunny). So, how about adding a critter like that?
This is again just brainstorming, but it might could fit, and those look just so adorable XD

Another random critter idea

Sea bunny
No idea if it could have any functions besides what most critters are good for, like placing them in a terrarion/bottle to display (or that some end up on the dinning table, but that's another thing)
But, so if you think about the ocean, there are several creatures, but overall not that much. Some mods do add more stuff though, which is quite awesome.
When you think about how bunnies being such a common, even signature critters of Terraria, what about more bunnies? and then there's the creature called "Jorunna Parva" (AKA sea bunny). So, how about adding a critter like that?
This is again just brainstorming, but it might could fit, and those look just so adorable XD
I like the idea of adding more bunnies to the game, they are one of the game's mascots so it would make sense to add some more varients of them. Here's some ideas I came up with

Floating Island/Lake - Cloud Bunnies - There's already a cloud shaped like a bunny
1600417535675.png
so why not make it a critter
Snow/Ice - No idea
Desert - Desert Cottontail
1600417713498.png

Ocean - Either your Jorunna Parva idea or The True Destroyer's bunny in an inner tube (bunnies already dress up for some events so I don't think that putting one in an inner tube would be weird)
Jungle - Doctor Bunny - A bunny with the Indiana Jones hat like Doctor Bones
Glowing Mushroom - Either a Glowing Bunny (to fit with the Glowing Snail) or a Spore Bunny (to fit in with the enemies)
The Hallow - Enchanted Bunny - He would look simmilar to the Enchanted Nightcrawler
Dungeon - Skeleton Bunny - Not a fan of the idea but it was the last thing left

I've been thinking about the Fortune Teller some more and I came up with some more ideas for the items she could sell (I have no idea how possible some of these items are to make)
  • Lucky Torches - These torches would always give you good luck maybe even more then the good biome torches
  • Leprechaun outfit - Wearing it would give you a bonus to your luck
  • A Pot of Gold - The more money you're carring with you (with a cap obviously) the more luck you gain
  • Dreamcatcher - An accesorie that gives you more luck at night
  • Lucky Cat Statue - Gives you a temporary buff to luck after you pick up money

@Quba
Interesting ideas. the bunnies too, though should figure out how to make critters, to begin with XD

As for the fourtune teller ideas, they're interesting, but I wonder about some, like, you won't usually carry around lots of money (on non-journey mode, I guess) but put it in piggy bank, likely.
I don't really want to tinker with torches, because torch luck is quite complicated already.
the leprechaun outfit do sounds interesting, (though there's already a vanity like that, right?) but I wonder how many players actually wear it, if meanwhile it has poor stats.

I think I also seen a dreamcatcher in a mod, although it works different, I think it grants immunity to some debuffs like cursed around it (it's a placeable object)

but I like the lucky cat statue idea! though, besides luck, it could be intriguing to tinker around with the midas buff/debuff, becuse there's no way in pre-hardmode to aquire it - which is normal, but it's not all that OP. so, an accessory giving it could be interesting, since it would take one accessory slot, making you think twice before equipping it instead of something more useful in combat.
it also could be placed too. maybe just deco that way. could be an interesting deco for some shops, like the merchant's.

@Quba
Interesting ideas. the bunnies too, though should figure out how to make critters, to begin with XD

As for the fourtune teller ideas, they're interesting, but I wonder about some, like, you won't usually carry around lots of money (on non-journey mode, I guess) but put it in piggy bank, likely.
I don't really want to tinker with torches, because torch luck is quite complicated already.
the leprechaun outfit do sounds interesting, (though there's already a vanity like that, right?) but I wonder how many players actually wear it, if meanwhile it has poor stats.

I think I also seen a dreamcatcher in a mod, although it works different, I think it grants immunity to some debuffs like cursed around it (it's a placeable object)

but I like the lucky cat statue idea! though, besides luck, it could be intriguing to tinker around with the midas buff/debuff, becuse there's no way in pre-hardmode to aquire it - which is normal, but it's not all that OP. so, an accessory giving it could be interesting, since it would take one accessory slot, making you think twice before equipping it instead of something more useful in combat.
it also could be placed too. maybe just deco that way. could be an interesting deco for some shops, like the merchant's.
The idea behind the Pot of Gold was that it would force you to carry a lot of money in exchange for luck but it would put you in danger of losing it if you die.

I checked the wiki and you're right, there's a halloween Leprechaun set, I must have forgotten it existed.

Or it is possible for version 0.10.1.5, my PC is just weak and it does not support the new version of TML?

Coming back to the Corruption Toy Shop idea, I was looking around the wiki recently and I noticed an interesting thing.

1600807901136.png

This is an official card from the Terraria's Collector's Editon. This information could make him a good candidate for the shop, it gives him a connection to the corruption, he's human like and most importantly it connects him to the Crimson Barkeep. According to Terraria lore Face Monsters were a sacrafice to the Crimson so you could say that Wraiths are a sacrafice to the Corruption. He doesn't have a connection to making stuff like my other examples but Face Monsters don't have a connection to cooking so I don't think it's necessary.

Coming back to the Corruption Toy Shop idea, I was looking around the wiki recently and I noticed an interesting thing.

View attachment 292964
This is an official card from the Terraria's Collector's Editon. This information could make him a good candidate for the shop, it gives him a connection to the corruption, he's human like and most importantly it connects him to the Crimson Barkeep. According to Terraria lore Face Monsters were a sacrafice to the Crimson so you could say that Wraiths are a sacrafice to the Corruption. He doesn't have a connection to making stuff like my other examples but Face Monsters don't have a connection to cooking so I don't think it's necessary.
I like the idea. It seems kind of nice to have a wraith running a toy shop, ironically. I'm thinking about those generic stories I've heard where the kid is terrified of some old guy who seems cranky and evil but he actually turns out nice... It's finally a somewhat-humanoid creature, on top of that.

@Quba
Oh, yes, a wraith. that's true, their lore says they are that. though they are not actually corruption enemies, so I totally forgot about them. that is an interesting candidate indeed. though I'm not sure about the idea still. or if there's actually need for a counterpart (although it was me bringing up that idea, to begin with)

But we can think more about the idea.
@The True Destroyer
putting it like that, I can kinda see how it could work. though it still would need more ideas, what sort of personality and unique looks it would have?

Back
Top Bottom