Wacky NPCs Mod

@ForeverPyrite
Please don't do multiple posts right after each other, but edit the the previous. I mean, in general, double posting is generally disliked on these forums. (if it's after another message from someone else, (not you) then it's fine. just don't do that you would do multiple posts right after each other. usually.)

Otherwise,
the professor is not a bad idea, I agree on that. he initially would had some quotes regarding the fangirls IF he is in the evil biomes, but right now, that's very difficult to do (because right now, the king & queen statues doesn't work on these NPCs. need to figure out how to get those to work.

Anyway, the hallow can't take over the corruption and the crimson. though you can notice a sort of extremely "petty" rivalry between the biomes over grass, which they can sometimes convert, so if there's no natural barrier between, you will see the crimson and the hallow quasi-endlessly fighting over like a 15-20 blocks worth of patch of grassy dirt blocks, converting it back and forth from crimson to hallow, or something.
But otherwise they can't convert already converted stone or other blocks.

The hallow will take over purity if can, but the dryad generally doesn't considers the hallow much of a problem. if your world has more hallow, she's even somewhat happy about it. she doesn't really loves it, but she doesn't perticularly mind that the hallow is there.

also, how can you build valid houses in evil biomes? if you mean things like Flann's tower-houses, they are only valid, because they are NOT in the crimson biome anymore. likewise, you could have a few crimson things nearby, as long as it's contained and can't spread, no one will mind it much, but it won't count as "crimson biome"

also, no, no floating boxes and hellevators and stuff. it's up to the player how they build, but I personally prefer "normal" houses that look like houses.

@ForeverPyrite
Yeah, T-modloader didn't caught up yet. there are many things I'm planning, once it catches up, but nothing of those are implemented yet.

@Quba @ForeverPyrite
Those are some interesting ideas. I wonder about the dryad though, hmm...
Essentially, it's also something related to what NPCs are most likely to be nearby, and the current system would usually end up with the merchant in the forest, along with the golfer too, and the angler is usually elsewhere, most likely the ocean.

If we're at it, any ideas about likes and dislikes of all of these NPCs?

by the way, before that. I also got another random idea. what about some new chests? Not chests that generate underground, but I mean, chests you can craft, for storage.
I was trying to have an organised storage vault in this earlier playthrough, and there are many chests that work nice for biomes - like sandstone for desert, bamboo for jungle, etc. and you can change them to the biome chest, if you manage to acquire it. - but there are a few things I'm not sure what chests would fit, like some events, like solar eclipse, etc. so, some chests fitting them might would be nice. they either could be of some fitting style, or have the event's emblem on themselves or something.

But, so, for town NPCs...
If you have some ideas what to add?

Corruption Fangirl
Loves - Crimson fangirl (they love different biomes, but both are odd "evil" biomes. plus these two are really shippable XD yay for yuri!)
Likes - ???
Dislikes - ???
Hates - Dyrad (dryad wants to purify the evil biomes), Hallow Fangirl (similar reason than the dryad, this one would just turn the world to hallow instead than purify it)
Biome like - forest??? it should be the corruption, but that's not valid for housing...
Biome hate - hallow (it's the opposite of the corruption)

Crimson Fangirl
Loves - Corruption fangirl (they love different biomes, but both are odd "evil" biomes. plus these two are really shippable XD yay for yuri!)
Likes - ???
Dislikes - ???
Hates - Dyrad (dryad wants to purify the evil biomes), Hallow Fangirl (similar reason than the dryad, this one would just turn the world to hallow instead than purify it)
Biome like - forest??? it should be the crimson, but that's not valid for housing...
Biome hate - hallow (it's the opposite of the corruption/crimson) - if there would be Cyber too, then that fits even better here

Picklock
Loves - Arms Dealer (if we go by the backstory idea, that they worked together in the past or something. so they're good friends.)
Likes - Goblin tinkerer? (or maybe it's in the love cathegory) - the picklock probably tinkers a lot with keys, so they share that, and the goblin is rich, so might keeps his money in a safe, and asks the picklock to test if it's good enough. XD
Dislikes - ???
Hates - ???
Biome like - desert (because the arms dealer prefers that too)
Biome hate - ???

Scam Artist
Loves - Merchant (parent and child) - cross-mod content idea: Jeweller (because the jeweller is the twin brother of the merchant, making him the scam artist's uncle.)
Likes - golfer, nurse (maybe. same reason as the merchant), goblin (he's also rich)
Dislikes - tax collector? (same as the merchant, I guess)
Hates - angler (she finds him annoying. same as the merchant)
Biome like - forest (same as the merchant)
Biome hate - ???

Professor
Loves - Witch doctor? who else? probably characters who are interesting and unusual. Truffle might qualifies too, though the professor most likely will be housed elsewhere.
Likes - ???
Dislikes - ???
Hates - ???
Biome like - maybe it could be N/A, since he would be likely relocated several times, because his shop changes with the biome. otherwise he most likely preferes the jungle and the desert.
Biome hate - snow/ice (there are no bugs there, and it's cold. he doesn't likes that)

Gravedigger
Loves - ??? - cross-mod content idea: Confused zombie. (another NPC who most likely will end up housed in a graveyard?)
Likes - ???
Dislikes - ???
Hates - ???
Biome like - graveyard (if it's possible to code)
Biome hate - ???

Waiter
Loves - Barkeep (operating a restaurant/bar together.) cross-mod content idea: Cook (operating a restaurant/bar together.)
Likes - maybe the stylist? if we go by the crossdresser idea, he might be a frequent customer at her shop
Dislikes- ???
Hates - ???
Biome like - ???
Biome hate - ???

(he also probably would be affected by town pets, not regarding happiness (since they don't affect that) but regarding quotes, like, I think he could have quotes that appear only if certain town pets are housed nearby, like he would be referring the restaurant as Cat Café, Dog Café, Rabbit Café, (or Animal Café with all 3 near) or such, maybe. and similar things also could affect it, like the biome. hmm... that could be fun too! It also could be, if possible to code, that if he detects the Crimson Kitchen Barkeep nearby, he will call the restaurtant Crimson Kitchen XD)

Hallow Fangirl
Loves - Dryad. also. the player, but that can't be set, I guess XD
Likes - Wizard maybe?
Dislikes - ???
Hates - Corruption Fangirl & Crimson Fangirl (fangirls of opposing biomes. she probably considers that two as idiots XD)
Biome like - hallow (obviously)
Biome hate - ???

The others are probably wouldn't be affected by the happiness system, if they're furniture-spawned or something. but that's a special case anyway.
First of about the new chests idea.
A bigger Safe - Personally I think that the safe in the game is a bit too small (it isn't much bigger then the Piggy bank) so I think that a 3x3 safe could look nice.
Lunar Chest - We already have chests for each pillar but this chest would combine them all (maybe also with some luminite)
Old One's Chest - A chest based on one from Dungeon Defenders
Mimic's Corpse - A chest that looks like it used to be a Mimic so you would be able to see teath and some blood on it
Pyramid Chest - A chest that looks like it would fit in the pyramid since the other desert chest would look weird there.

And now the happiness. (If I left it empty it means I agree with you)

Corruption Fangirl
Loves -
Likes - Wizard (Since she is a mage she could like the other magic user in the game)
Dislikes - Guide? (He tells you to destroy the shadow orbs so she could dislike that)
Hates -
Liked Biome -
Disliked Biome -

Crimson Fangirl
Loves -
Likes - Arms Dealer? (Same reason as with Wizard for Corruption Fangirl but it's not as good becouse he's more about guns then bows)
Dislikes - Guide? (Same reason as Corruption Fangirl)
Hates -
Liked Biome
Disliked Biome -

This is also my opinion but personally I would like if they didn't hate Hollow Fangirl, It's understandable why they would be enemies but personally I would enjoy them having a more rival type relationship.

Picklock
Loves -
Likes - Merchant (His safes make for good practice)
Dislikes -
Hates -
Liked Biome
Disliked Biome - Jungle (He tried to get into the Jungle Temple but no matter how hard he tries he can't open the door so he started to hate that place)

Scam Artist
I already did her so I'll skip
Liked Biome - Either Forrest (Becouse of her dad), Underground (Becouse of her mother) or Ocean (Places like beaches often have many shops selling cheaply made toys/souveniers etc. at high prices which would fit her)
Disliked Biome -

Professor
Loves - Zoologist (She also loves animals)
Likes - Witch Doctor, Dryad, Truffle and Druid (From Thorium) (Becouse they are connected to nature the most)
Dislikes - Golfer (He doesn't like how he destroys the area for his golf courses)
Hates -
Liked Biome - If possible he should like all...
Disliked Biome - Except Snow since it doesn't have bugs

I won't mention the planed NPC's becouse there isn't enough for me go off and the only ideas I have are the same as yours. The only original idea I have is that Hollow Fangirl could hate Jungle since Hollow can't spread through mud.

Last edited:
@ForeverPyrite
Please don't do multiple posts right after each other, but edit the the previous. I mean, in general, double posting is generally disliked on these forums. (if it's after another message from someone else, (not you) then it's fine. just don't do that you would do multiple posts right after each other. usually.)

Otherwise,
the professor is not a bad idea, I agree on that. he initially would had some quotes regarding the fangirls IF he is in the evil biomes, but right now, that's very difficult to do (because right now, the king & queen statues doesn't work on these NPCs. need to figure out how to get those to work.

Anyway, the hallow can't take over the corruption and the crimson. though you can notice a sort of extremely "petty" rivalry between the biomes over grass, which they can sometimes convert, so if there's no natural barrier between, you will see the crimson and the hallow quasi-endlessly fighting over like a 15-20 blocks worth of patch of grassy dirt blocks, converting it back and forth from crimson to hallow, or something.
But otherwise they can't convert already converted stone or other blocks.

The hallow will take over purity if can, but the dryad generally doesn't considers the hallow much of a problem. if your world has more hallow, she's even somewhat happy about it. she doesn't really loves it, but she doesn't perticularly mind that the hallow is there.

also, how can you build valid houses in evil biomes? if you mean things like Flann's tower-houses, they are only valid, because they are NOT in the crimson biome anymore. likewise, you could have a few crimson things nearby, as long as it's contained and can't spread, no one will mind it much, but it won't count as "crimson biome"

also, no, no floating boxes and hellevators and stuff. it's up to the player how they build, but I personally prefer "normal" houses that look like houses.
@Sora_92
I meant after you commented on the ideas I would bring new ones so you don't have to cram together a reply.

As for valid housings in a evil biome, I have some ideas I will try out in the game shortly

The Hollow fangirl would still dislike the two because it is still opposing the evil and the other two fangirls are backing up the evil.

Lastly, I was giving in an example of a housing area that wouldn't have the biomes spreading into the rest of the world, all in all, it was an example of one way the player could fit the 3 together with minimal effort. I understand wanting to not have a single solution because Terraria is a Sandbox game, and is meant for you to use your creativity.

This could be hard to program, but maybe you could make a corrupt and crimson monolith, and the fangirls would be happy when they are near the monolith
@CantWontDo @Sora_92
I agree with that, but because it is unknown how the happiness system will work with tmod that might not work, but I see two solutions
1. Make each monolith have to be placed on their respective biomes blocks and make a mini-biome be created called Settleable Corruption and Settleable Crimson, which both fangirls would love respectively and you could make valid housings in it.
2. Make it count as an NPC that both Fangirls love, and still only peaceable on their respective biome blocks

@Quba
As for chests and safes and the like,
I wonder if it's possible to have chests that are not 2 x 2? All chests in the game are 2 x 2, right? even things that work the same (trash can, barrel, and even on modded, crates and the mini-fridge) ...however, there are other stuff that function very similar, but are different size. dressers are 3 x 2, though they have additional functions too. and there's the piggy bank with is 1 x 2, and the effender's forge (which is not even a forge? XD) but it's very big. and of course, the void vault. So, that makes me wonder if different sized chests are possible to do, or not?*

if yes, it would be intriguing to tinker around with other thinks too, like actual fridge-sized fridges. there's some in Chad'sfurni, but why they don't function as storages?

Otherwise I agree, but things like mimics (if you meant greater mimics too) brings us back to the "can you make different sized chests work?" question.

*different sized things makes me think about other common furnitures too, like doors. it would be interesting, if possible, to create some larger doors too (that still are opened to the side, not upwards like the large gate, so it can be barricaded to keep zombies out. a few different design large gate also could be interesting too. for example,
how about a sort of "grate" like gate? the sort of gate you see in sewers and the like in some games, that is just a bunch of metal bars, and the water can flow freely through it, but you still have to open it if you wanna pass through, and so do monsters too.

As for likes and dislikes

The Corru - wizard like makes sense, yeah. funny in hindsight that the wizard prefers the hallow though, whicg corru hates XD but otherwise, yeah, it makes sense that she would like him, being a fellow mage.

(on a side note, I also wonder if expeditions mod will get updated, and if the clerk will love the wizard or something, because I imagined her being a fan/aprentice of him (or maybe even have some feelings for him? who knows)
in this regards, the two fangirls also could like the clerk, based on that I would sometimes put them in the "adventurers' guild". the fangirls are a bit hard to house, because they most likely don't have "shop-like" houses like the merchant or some others, but house-like houses. but if there was not enough place, they would often end up in the guild. often along the tracker and sometimes the angler (because they give quests, so it makes sense they would be there.)

the guide makes some sense, but I dunno. the arms dealer isn't that very fitting there.

the rivalry idea with the hallow fangirl sounds interesting though. hmm...

Picklock - merchant sounds good, yes.
also, probably the jungle too. though I wonder if he would dislike it based on, how you call it? "sour grapes"? but, it can be due to several factors together, like he's bothered by the humidity. his tools might function less good in such an environment?

as for scam artist, I dunno about ocean... it makes some sense, I agree on that though. but then, the angler might be in the way XD

Professor - Zoologist, agree on that, and on the " Witch Doctor, Dryad, Truffle and Druid (From Thorium) (Becouse they are connected to nature the most)" too
Also, yeah, also agree on disliking the golfer, similarly how the dryad dislikes him too, for agressive terraforming (or how you call it) for his golf courses.
(though you can get the bugs out of the grass with mowing it, right? I just imagined the prof going after the golfer with a bug net to catch the bugs he scares out of the grass XD but they probably would argue a lot in general XD)

also, yeah, not many ideas on the planned ones. the hallow fangirl disliking the jungle makes some sense too. though not sure. maybe.

@CantWontDo
Could do such a chest, but it sounds kinda expensive, yeah. no idea what bonus it could have though... (or if it's possible to code such)

also, monlits might be possible to code, but it only changes the bachround and ambience, right? not the biome itself, so I don't know, if it could affect happiness at all.

@ForeverPyrite
Alright.

I'm curious if you can make valid houses in evil biomes. definitelly tell me the results of those experiments. I don't think it's possible though, I think the game will just tell that house is corrupted (or "invalid" in previous version. it often did that)
It is possible to build a house on the edge of the biome far enough to not count as corrupted, and utilise the fact that NPCs walk around their houses if they can, to get the fangirls occassionally be in the evil biomes, but it's a bit complicated.

Also, yeah, but it's questionable if the hallow - corru & crim fangirls hate each others, or has rivalry, like how Quba said.

The whole happiness system is a complex thing, and there are no "perfect" town layouts and all. and mods will make this even more complex (maybe).
The professor also most likely will not be houses near the fangirls anyway, because the fangirls probably will be houses in the forest somewhere, and the professor might will be frequently moved around.

@Quba
As for chests and safes and the like,
I wonder if it's possible to have chests that are not 2 x 2? All chests in the game are 2 x 2, right? even things that work the same (trash can, barrel, and even on modded, crates and the mini-fridge) ...however, there are other stuff that function very similar, but are different size. dressers are 3 x 2, though they have additional functions too. and there's the piggy bank with is 1 x 2, and the effender's forge (which is not even a forge? XD) but it's very big. and of course, the void vault. So, that makes me wonder if different sized chests are possible to do, or not?*

if yes, it would be intriguing to tinker around with other thinks too, like actual fridge-sized fridges. there's some in Chad'sfurni, but why they don't function as storages?

Otherwise I agree, but things like mimics (if you meant greater mimics too) brings us back to the "can you make different sized chests work?" question.

*different sized things makes me think about other common furnitures too, like doors. it would be interesting, if possible, to create some larger doors too (that still are opened to the side, not upwards like the large gate, so it can be barricaded to keep zombies out. a few different design large gate also could be interesting too. for example,
how about a sort of "grate" like gate? the sort of gate you see in sewers and the like in some games, that is just a bunch of metal bars, and the water can flow freely through it, but you still have to open it if you wanna pass through, and so do monsters too.

As for likes and dislikes

The Corru - wizard like makes sense, yeah. funny in hindsight that the wizard prefers the hallow though, whicg corru hates XD but otherwise, yeah, it makes sense that she would like him, being a fellow mage.

(on a side note, I also wonder if expeditions mod will get updated, and if the clerk will love the wizard or something, because I imagined her being a fan/aprentice of him (or maybe even have some feelings for him? who knows)
in this regards, the two fangirls also could like the clerk, based on that I would sometimes put them in the "adventurers' guild". the fangirls are a bit hard to house, because they most likely don't have "shop-like" houses like the merchant or some others, but house-like houses. but if there was not enough place, they would often end up in the guild. often along the tracker and sometimes the angler (because they give quests, so it makes sense they would be there.)

the guide makes some sense, but I dunno. the arms dealer isn't that very fitting there.

the rivalry idea with the hallow fangirl sounds interesting though. hmm...

Picklock - merchant sounds good, yes.
also, probably the jungle too. though I wonder if he would dislike it based on, how you call it? "sour grapes"? but, it can be due to several factors together, like he's bothered by the humidity. his tools might function less good in such an environment?

as for scam artist, I dunno about ocean... it makes some sense, I agree on that though. but then, the angler might be in the way XD

Professor - Zoologist, agree on that, and on the " Witch Doctor, Dryad, Truffle and Druid (From Thorium) (Becouse they are connected to nature the most)" too
Also, yeah, also agree on disliking the golfer, similarly how the dryad dislikes him too, for agressive terraforming (or how you call it) for his golf courses.
(though you can get the bugs out of the grass with mowing it, right? I just imagined the prof going after the golfer with a bug net to catch the bugs he scares out of the grass XD but they probably would argue a lot in general XD)

also, yeah, not many ideas on the planned ones. the hallow fangirl disliking the jungle makes some sense too. though not sure. maybe.

@CantWontDo
Could do such a chest, but it sounds kinda expensive, yeah. no idea what bonus it could have though... (or if it's possible to code such)

also, monlits might be possible to code, but it only changes the bachround and ambience, right? not the biome itself, so I don't know, if it could affect happiness at all.

@ForeverPyrite
Alright.

I'm curious if you can make valid houses in evil biomes. definitelly tell me the results of those experiments. I don't think it's possible though, I think the game will just tell that house is corrupted (or "invalid" in previous version. it often did that)
It is possible to build a house on the edge of the biome far enough to not count as corrupted, and utilise the fact that NPCs walk around their houses if they can, to get the fangirls occassionally be in the evil biomes, but it's a bit complicated.

Also, yeah, but it's questionable if the hallow - corru & crim fangirls hate each others, or has rivalry, like how Quba said.

The whole happiness system is a complex thing, and there are no "perfect" town layouts and all. and mods will make this even more complex (maybe).
The professor also most likely will not be houses near the fangirls anyway, because the fangirls probably will be houses in the forest somewhere, and the professor might will be frequently moved around.
I feel like we all lay out the ideas now, and when tmod catches up, we start to actually make up the true algorithm, for now, I will combine all of these ideas on a Google Document

And I will go ahead and perform experiments now so I will be back in about an hour

I feel like we all lay out the ideas now, and when tmod catches up, we start to actually make up the true algorithm, for now, I will combine all of these ideas on a Google Document

And I will go ahead and perform experiments now so I will be back in about an hour
That is the general idea, yes. The mod should be working on the current T-modloader (I hope) as it is now, but that is not in 1.4 yet, and many of these ideas about once it catches up. so, I did not updated the mod since some time, waiting for T-modloader to catch up. Also would need at least one coder on the team too, because I can't code the complex stuff. More spriters also would be welcome too.

Also, tell how the experiment went! I'm pretty curious.

@Sora_92
All experiments proved unsuccessful

That's all I need to say.
That's basically what I expected, yeah. You can build near the evil biomes, but if they're too close, it will say the house is corrupted. if it's too far, it will be valid, but not considered to be in the corruption/crimson biome.

I mostly thought about normal mimics but Greater Mimics could work too. Also the way I thought of it wouldn't need to be bigger or smaller then a normal chest, it wouldn't look like an active mimic but like a normal Gold Chest with the features I mentioned.

@CantWontDo
This is a completly dumb idea, but what if the special thing about it was that you can open it from a few spaces more kinda like how specter tools have bonus range.

This is a completly dumb idea, but what if the special thing about it was that you can open it from a few spaces more kinda like how specter tools have bonus range.
That's not the way it works, it has to do with your range (at least on old-gen consoles). Plus, that is kinda dumb

How about these Spectre chests was like a Piggy Bank for your team, only thing is the mod isn't really for that

The plus if you could be on 5 different teams giving you 5 chests worth of space.

Honestly, how can a chest even be special?

@Quba
Ah, yeah, I get what you mean. I suppose that can be done, though I wonder if anyone actually would use it? since when not opened, it looks like just an ordinary gold chest. (the normal variant, not the greater)

As for chests that can be opened from further... I dunno if that could be coded, or would be useful for anything...?

That's not the way it works, it has to do with your range (at least on old-gen consoles). Plus, that is kinda dumb

How about these Spectre chests was like a Piggy Bank for your team, only thing is the mod isn't really for that

The plus if you could be on 5 different teams giving you 5 chests worth of space.

Honestly, how can a chest even be special?
It wasn't ment to be a good idea, I just thought that it would be funny that you can craft such an expensive useless item just like the terra toilet.

@Quba
Ah, yeah, I get what you mean. I suppose that can be done, though I wonder if anyone actually would use it? since when not opened, it looks like just an ordinary gold chest. (the normal variant, not the greater)
Why would they only show up when opened ? There can still be teath in front and a tongue hanging out of the mouth.

It wasn't ment to be a good idea, I just thought that it would be funny that you can craft such an expensive useless item just like the terra toilet.
Lol. But actually, that just gave me an interesting idea (though I wonder if anyone done that before?) What about a full Terra furniture set? the toilet alone is rather silly, but if you would have an entire house in that theme, that might would look actually kinda cool...? dunno. just thinking loud.

Why would they only show up when opened ? There can still be teath in front and a tongue hanging out of the mouth.
I mean, what a mimics pretends to be a chests, its teeth are not visible yet.

Lol. But actually, that just gave me an interesting idea (though I wonder if anyone done that before?) What about a full Terra furniture set? the toilet alone is rather silly, but if you would have an entire house in that theme, that might would look actually kinda cool...? dunno. just thinking loud.

I mean, what a mimics pretends to be a chests, its teeth are not visible yet.
Maybe for the mod, replace mimics to be actual chests, but when you try to open them they poof into Mimics.

Back
Top Bottom