Wacky NPCs Mod

Tried to come up with some archetypes to maybe help with figuring out the personality
  • Cute/Very cheerfull
  • Overly cute but it's just an act, in reality they're very mature
  • Stereotypical japanese maid cafe
  • Clutz - Tries their best but they're a clutz/unlucky so they often mess up
  • Proffecional - They've worked here for a long time and they've gotten really good at taking care of things efficiently
  • Actor - They use their job as a way of playing around with their acting talent so they often change their character for each customer
Personally I like the actor idea, I feel like if done correctly it could make for some interesting dialouge.

Tried to come up with some archetypes to maybe help with figuring out the personality
  • Cute/Very cheerfull
  • Overly cute but it's just an act, in reality they're very mature
  • Stereotypical japanese maid cafe
  • Clutz - Tries their best but they're a clutz/unlucky so they often mess up
  • Proffecional - They've worked here for a long time and they've gotten really good at taking care of things efficiently
  • Actor - They use their job as a way of playing around with their acting talent so they often change their character for each customer
Personally I like the actor idea, I feel like if done correctly it could make for some interesting dialouge.
How exactly the "actor" would work though? when speaking of single player, there would be only one player to see the dialogues. and it would be probably difficult (and probably pretty pointless) to try an NPC having different lines for different players in multiplayer.
So, I guess you mean it in a different way? How exactly?

How exactly the "actor" would work though? when speaking of single player, there would be only one player to see the dialogues. and it would be probably difficult (and probably pretty pointless) to try an NPC having different lines for different players in multiplayer.
So, I guess you mean it in a different way? How exactly?
I should have explained it better sorry. What I ment is that they would just act like a random character whenever you talk to them (or maybe it could work based on moon phases so each day they would have dialouge for a diffrent character ?), not just playing one character for one specific customer.

Last edited:
Well, it's mainly that everyone's been busy with Christmas and New Year's and other stuff. So, not a lot of progress to show.
I was tinkering a bit with the sprite of the waiter the other day, but still not really sure what would be good.
Somehow I'm a bit low on inspiration...

waiter_pink-lolita_astolfo_pink.png
waiter_gothlolita_astolfo_pink.png

There's a pink-lolita dress, and the previous goth-lolita dress version with minimal modifications, and now with Astolfo-pink hair. Maybe the goth-lolita version is better?

It's actually just a minor annoyance that I'm not sure about the design yet, we could make progress with other stuff, but somehow low on inspiration, or motivation... (or both XD)
It might be part because of no much news about when will T-modloader catch up to 1.4 too... like, it's been, uhh... nearly half a year now? I mean, I know that developers do their absolute best, it's rather just, the lack of information on things is a bit... how to say, hurts motivation, I guess... XD

Other thing is, that, not counting the features that needs 1.4, we probably could go ahead with a few things like adding the planned NPCs to the mod, though their usefullness would be rather limited prior to 1.4...
But, making town NPC spritesheets is super boring and time consuming XD like, I mean, they have like, 20something sprites on their spritesheet? most enemies have like 3 or so...
I like designing stuff, but getting them to be able to walk is such a pain XD lol
So, yeah, I'm a bit low on motivation. I will do it eventually, but I would prefer to tinker with more creative parts of the mod... well... if anyone have any good ideas about what else would be good to be added? like what sort of new deco NPCs or furniures or such. or items or anything that sounds like would fit into the mod.

So, any good ideas?

Well, it's mainly that everyone's been busy with Christmas and New Year's and other stuff. So, not a lot of progress to show.
I was tinkering a bit with the sprite of the waiter the other day, but still not really sure what would be good.
Somehow I'm a bit low on inspiration...

View attachment 303547 View attachment 303548

There's a pink-lolita dress, and the previous goth-lolita dress version with minimal modifications, and now with Astolfo-pink hair. Maybe the goth-lolita version is better?

It's actually just a minor annoyance that I'm not sure about the design yet, we could make progress with other stuff, but somehow low on inspiration, or motivation... (or both XD)
It might be part because of no much news about when will T-modloader catch up to 1.4 too... like, it's been, uhh... nearly half a year now? I mean, I know that developers do their absolute best, it's rather just, the lack of information on things is a bit... how to say, hurts motivation, I guess... XD

Other thing is, that, not counting the features that needs 1.4, we probably could go ahead with a few things like adding the planned NPCs to the mod, though their usefullness would be rather limited prior to 1.4...
But, making town NPC spritesheets is super boring and time consuming XD like, I mean, they have like, 20something sprites on their spritesheet? most enemies have like 3 or so...
I like designing stuff, but getting them to be able to walk is such a pain XD lol
So, yeah, I'm a bit low on motivation. I will do it eventually, but I would prefer to tinker with more creative parts of the mod... well... if anyone have any good ideas about what else would be good to be added? like what sort of new deco NPCs or furniures or such. or items or anything that sounds like would fit into the mod.

So, any good ideas?
First of about the Waiter sprites if you plan on keeping the lighter hair colors I think that the pink dress is better.

If you're having problems working on the NPC spritesheets how about you work on other sprites ? Stuff like the arrow pointing to the Crimson Kitchen, some new food for it, some new Deco NPC's, the new Critters or some items for the Fortune Teller (is this still something planned ? You mentioned the idea but never said if it's planned to be added). If you want to take a break from making sprites you could also work on the dialouge for both new and old NPC's since 1.4 added a lot of new dialouge.

You also asked for some new ideas so here are some I tried to come up with.

- More weapon racks for more unique weapons like guns
- A Guard Captain Desk re-skin for other "groups" like maybe a Dwarven Smithing Station (or maybe that could be a re-skin of a Forge ?)
- My previous idea for a more evil set of Deco NPC's with stuff like a Demon Lord on a throne
- Key of Dawn - Sold by the Picklock, would let you spawn the mimic of the oposite evil in your world
- Professor's Research Notes - I really liked my idea for them so maybe instead of making them a quest reward they could just be sold by him after you beat some boss (maybe Plantera or Moon Lord ?)

There is also a small idea for an NPC I have but I only came up with their design and I don't know what they would do - A friendly ghost inspired by the icon for the achivement you get after entering a Graveyard. I really like the idea but I don't know what they could do but maybe somebody has an idea

Also feel free to take a break if you don't feel like working on the mod, I would much rather wait longer for the mod to come out then force you to work nonstop to release it as soon as tmodloader updates.

@Quba
Thank you!

Yeah, I guess I will do the spritesheets later.
And we can try to focus on other areas where we have ideas.

A few new Deco NPC sets could be interesting. what ideas you have for them?

Also, what was the professor's notes again?
Key of dawn sounds very useful too, but I have no idea how to code such - do you know? @DV Game

also, the friendly ghost sounds interesting and funny too, I agree, though I don't really have an idea what they could sell, or do.

so... let's see... I guess, let's brainstorm~! And maybe will try to make something like a google doc for NPC quotes or something, a bit later.

@Quba
Thank you!

Key of dawn sounds very useful too, but I have no idea how to code such - do you know? @DV Game

also, the friendly ghost sounds interesting and funny too, I agree, though I don't really have an idea what they could sell, or do.

so... let's see... I guess, let's brainstorm~! And maybe will try to make something like a google doc for NPC quotes or something, a bit later.
For new Deco NPC's here's what I was able to come up with
- Again the Demon Lord's army set
- Futuristic/high-tech set
- Elfs
- Normal Civilians
- Pets

The Professor's Notes would be an item that if you used it would give you more information about a random enemy from the bestiary without needing to grind for it (it wouldn't unlock new entries just expend ones you already have)

My idea for how the Key of Dawn could work to maybe make it easier to code is to split it into 2 diffrent but also same items. Both versions would look the same, have the same name and description but would spawn either the Corruption or Crimson Mimic and depending on your worlds evil the Picklock would sell the one that spawns the other evil.

@Quba
Thank you!

I have some ideas about how to do it, not too hard probably. Also, maybe Key Of Dawn should be crafted from 2 Keys Of Night?

I have some ideas about how to do it, not too hard probably. Also, maybe Key Of Dawn should be crafted from 2 Keys Of Night?
Why not both ? But if it's going to be craftable then I think it should be made with 1 Key of Night + 1 Key of Light + if we're going with my idea some third item to choose which version to craft.

I think I came up with an idea for what the ghost NPC could do. One of the things I remmember you mentioned being interested in were statues/figurines of enemies that would work like banners but would be placed instead of hanging but what if we take that idea, change it a bit and use it for the ghost ? My idea is to make the ghost an NPC that would let you exchange banners for charms, items that if carried in your inventory would give you the effect of the original banner. If you're also still interested in the figurine idea maybe he could also be responible for doing that.

Also a small additonal idea I had for the charms, you would be able to combine them into themed charms (or maybe something else like a medalion) for example charms of all goblins could make a Goblin Army charm that works on all goblins without needing to carry 5/6 diffrent charms.

Last edited:
maybe if you unlock a banner (kill 50 of an enemy) then they start selling it but will only if they are in the biome and/or event the enemy is from. also maybe the charms can be combined all into one charm maybe it could be called the terra charm or something

maybe if you unlock a banner (kill 50 of an enemy) then they start selling it but will only if they are in the biome and/or event the enemy is from. also maybe the charms can be combined all into one charm maybe it could be called the terra charm or something
I think that there are way too many enemies for something like that to work + it would overcomplicate things. The way I immagined it would work is that he would have an option that would bring up a window where you give him a banner to turn into a charm or if the figurine idea is also implemented you would choose what he which of the two he would turn it into.

@Quba
As for the charm idea, I kinda like that, but, it would mean a really crazy amount of charms, and it could hurt inventory management too, I think. although you wouldn't normally carry around all, but if you would like yourself covered even if you travel between biomes, you would need several of the combined ones too.

@Bed_breaker117
Yeah, the pickloc should sell other keys too, but that might be needed to be discussed with other mods?

---------

speaking about those charms though, I think they would be kind of like, biome-related (and invasion-related) once tinkered once or twice, - and it still sounds like a crazy amount of charms on the core, like one for each enemy...?

but this reminded me of an other idea. I talked with a friend about it, but then we didn't really do anything with it. and it probabably would be too complicated, and not necessarily fit into this mod, but as far as brainstoming goes, we can think about it too, maybe we can use it for something at some point.

so, when you think about new classes, it's kinda tough to come up with anything new, besides those that already got added in other mods...
but then, I had an idea, that still sounds somewhat unique, the "Geomancer Class".

I thought, it would use a weapon type as signature short-range weapon, similar to how Thorium's clerics use double-scythes, which look like melee but are not, in the geomancers' case, they would use batons, that can be swing like a sword, with left click, and thrusted like a lance with right click.

But their main point wouldn't be this, but geomancy, that is, utilising the biomes around them. they would have weapons that use mana or something - so they would be similar to mages - but, so, the weapons work different based on the biome they're in, or, maybe (if that's easier to do), then, most weapons are biome-specific, and only can be used when in their respective biome.

of course, that would be limiting, but so, geomancers would have a line of accessories like "biome in a bottle" - you could buy/craft enchanted bottles, and tinker them into "X biome in a bottle" with material from said biome - e.g. "Jungle in a bottle", "Crimson in a bottle", etc.
These would allow the spells of said biome to be used, even when the player is not in said biome.
They could be tinkered into an ultimate combination, like "World in a bottle" or "Terraria in a bottle" or something with some early/mid-hardmode stuff or something maybe, which, when equipped, allows all geomancy spells to work, regardless where the player is.

though I don't actually have much ideas on what sort of spells these geomancers would have.
like, I guess nature-related stuff, like stone spikes, boulders, etc. in the caverns, thorns and vines and stuff in jungle, and dunno. like, utilising the elements and nature around them.

they could have a somewhat far-eastern touch to their armors and gear too (or at least to some), since it might would be cool.

like, if you think about Terraria and classes,
short range - melee
long range. and use ammo - ranger
long range. and use mana - mage
commanding minions - summoner

then, you go to modded territory, and be like
I wanna be long ranged but kinda different - thrower (resurrected), rogue (I guess?), bard (pretty uniqe, kind of a mage/ranger combo, but still super unique, plus they use a wide selection of instruments.
or
I wanna heal! - then it's healer class. but then it also offers the intriguing corrupted clerics too. pretty awesome.
and such.
but if you think about it, it's mostly based on range, and whether you use nothing, or use ammo, mana or whatever other "resource" (like bard's inspiration.)
but Biomes are so much part of the game. it's one of the cores of Terraria itself, isn't it? yet, no class is really focused on the biomes itself. you take biome specific materials here and there and craft stuff from them, but most of the time, you don't try to utilise the biome itself that much? so, that's why I thought, a class like that could offer something brand new and unique.

What do you think about that? XD

@Quba
As for the charm idea, I kinda like that, but, it would mean a really crazy amount of charms, and it could hurt inventory management too, I think. although you wouldn't normally carry around all, but if you would like yourself covered even if you travel between biomes, you would need several of the combined ones too.

@Bed_breaker117
Yeah, the pickloc should sell other keys too, but that might be needed to be discussed with other mods?

---------

speaking about those charms though, I think they would be kind of like, biome-related (and invasion-related) once tinkered once or twice, - and it still sounds like a crazy amount of charms on the core, like one for each enemy...?

but this reminded me of an other idea. I talked with a friend about it, but then we didn't really do anything with it. and it probabably would be too complicated, and not necessarily fit into this mod, but as far as brainstoming goes, we can think about it too, maybe we can use it for something at some point.

so, when you think about new classes, it's kinda tough to come up with anything new, besides those that already got added in other mods...
but then, I had an idea, that still sounds somewhat unique, the "Geomancer Class".

I thought, it would use a weapon type as signature short-range weapon, similar to how Thorium's clerics use double-scythes, which look like melee but are not, in the geomancers' case, they would use batons, that can be swing like a sword, with left click, and thrusted like a lance with right click.

But their main point wouldn't be this, but geomancy, that is, utilising the biomes around them. they would have weapons that use mana or something - so they would be similar to mages - but, so, the weapons work different based on the biome they're in, or, maybe (if that's easier to do), then, most weapons are biome-specific, and only can be used when in their respective biome.

of course, that would be limiting, but so, geomancers would have a line of accessories like "biome in a bottle" - you could buy/craft enchanted bottles, and tinker them into "X biome in a bottle" with material from said biome - e.g. "Jungle in a bottle", "Crimson in a bottle", etc.
These would allow the spells of said biome to be used, even when the player is not in said biome.
They could be tinkered into an ultimate combination, like "World in a bottle" or "Terraria in a bottle" or something with some early/mid-hardmode stuff or something maybe, which, when equipped, allows all geomancy spells to work, regardless where the player is.

though I don't actually have much ideas on what sort of spells these geomancers would have.
like, I guess nature-related stuff, like stone spikes, boulders, etc. in the caverns, thorns and vines and stuff in jungle, and dunno. like, utilising the elements and nature around them.

they could have a somewhat far-eastern touch to their armors and gear too (or at least to some), since it might would be cool.

like, if you think about Terraria and classes,
short range - melee
long range. and use ammo - ranger
long range. and use mana - mage
commanding minions - summoner

then, you go to modded territory, and be like
I wanna be long ranged but kinda different - thrower (resurrected), rogue (I guess?), bard (pretty uniqe, kind of a mage/ranger combo, but still super unique, plus they use a wide selection of instruments.
or
I wanna heal! - then it's healer class. but then it also offers the intriguing corrupted clerics too. pretty awesome.
and such.
but if you think about it, it's mostly based on range, and whether you use nothing, or use ammo, mana or whatever other "resource" (like bard's inspiration.)
but Biomes are so much part of the game. it's one of the cores of Terraria itself, isn't it? yet, no class is really focused on the biomes itself. you take biome specific materials here and there and craft stuff from them, but most of the time, you don't try to utilise the biome itself that much? so, that's why I thought, a class like that could offer something brand new and unique.

What do you think about that? XD
I agree that having so many normal charms could lead to your inventory just being clutered with them but that's why I also suggested the idea of fused charms to lessen the issue but a diffrent way to do this would be to just have 1 universal charm that you "charge" with the banners without making ones for each enemy but I feel like that could make it too good. Also I doubt that you would carry that many charms at the same time, you would just think about what you're going to do and take the charms that would help. For example I wouldn't take any jungle related charms if I'm fighting the Goblin Army. Also about the number of charms, there are 248 enemies (+ 4 critters, 5 from Old One's Army and 43 rare enemies [based on Lifeform analyzer] but I didn't count them) and I would seprate them into 52 fused charms based on bioms + hardmode version and events.

As for the Geomancer idea I really like it, it sounds interesting but would be really hard to fit into the mod unless you would rebrand the mod to something else, also maybe instead of calling it Geomancer it could be something like Elementalist since Geo just makes me think of rocks.

I agree that having so many normal charms could lead to your inventory just being clutered with them but that's why I also suggested the idea of fused charms to lessen the issue but a diffrent way to do this would be to just have 1 universal charm that you "charge" with the banners without making ones for each enemy but I feel like that could make it too good. Also I doubt that you would carry that many charms at the same time, you would just think about what you're going to do and take the charms that would help. For example I wouldn't take any jungle related charms if I'm fighting the Goblin Army. Also about the number of charms, there are 248 enemies (+ 4 critters, 5 from Old One's Army and 43 rare enemies [based on Lifeform analyzer] but I didn't count them) and I would seprate them into 52 fused charms based on bioms + hardmode version and events.

As for the Geomancer idea I really like it, it sounds interesting but would be really hard to fit into the mod unless you would rebrand the mod to something else, also maybe instead of calling it Geomancer it could be something like Elementalist since Geo just makes me think of rocks.
It still sounds like a really lot of charms... and some might be not so easy to use, because, for instence, events might happen when you don't expect it, and so you might have no idea taking out your goblin invasion, or pirate invasion charm, before they actually arrive and after it, you're probably rather busy with them...

the general idea is interesting though.

As for the geomancer, the name idea is from Final Fantasy, Grimoire to the Rift, I think, there that's one of the possible classes of Gria. and they also use batons as main weapons, and spells that are based on the weather, biome, and the ground they're standing on, I think.

That's largely where the idea comes from too. because if you think about classes there, there are lots of classes. But almost all can be placed within the "melee-ranger-mage-summoner-bard-cleric/healer-thrower" classes. e.g. things like archer, sharpshooter, hunter, flintlock, cannonier, etc. are practically all just ranger in the terraria system? some might be a bit of a hybrid, like paladdins can heal to a small extent, so they're not pure melee. but in general, almost everything can be placed somewhere within that system, but Geomancer is a bit unique. it's partly a mage with a bit of melee mixed in (the batons), but utilising the biomes still sounds something no other classes do.

in theory, it could encourage players to alter areas here and there based on what biome spells they would prefer to use - e.g. at boss arenas.
though later game, you also could just use the enchanted bottles.

but a full class needs like 7-8 armors and around 30-40 weapons at minimum, right? and a few accessories too. it would be a huge thing to do. and we don't even have much ideas for it, but I think we might can use it for something at some point. as for one, we might can try to make the batons work, if we can (maybe for now, just for melee), because right click functionality sounds fun. and weapons like that could be convinient to reach to a bit more distance, yet still have the arc attack too, that swords have. (if so, their attack should be a bit lower than swords of the same type, to compensate for it)

but I'm just thinking loud, I guess XD

Going back to the Ghost NPC and Charm idea, I think I came up with another way to add them. Insted of making charms for almost every enemy, how about just making the fused charms ? This would bring down the number of charms to around 48 (I counted them a bit diffrently this time) and designing them would be a lot easier then trying to make ones for each enemy. Something I am worried about is that now he wouldn't have much of a use most of the time so maybe he could also have another small thing to make him more useful. My idea is that he would be able to create a small cloud of Echo Mist around him. It wouldn't be big (maybe like 6 blocks from him) and it also shouldn't be counted as a Graveyard but I don't know if that's possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom