Wacky NPCs Mod

Ok, I just thought of one more cool thing you could do with this mod. what if, since the cour/crim fangirls and Flann live in the evil biome's, they could sell a corruption/crimson pylon? I mean, if they like the evil biome, and they can live in it, it would kind of make sense, ya know? and having one of those would be a big help.

Ok, I just thought of one more cool thing you could do with this mod. what if, since the cour/crim fangirls and Flann live in the evil biome's, they could sell a corruption/crimson pylon? I mean, if they like the evil biome, and they can live in it, it would kind of make sense, ya know? and having one of those would be a big help.
That's an interesting idea, but would be complicated the way these NPCs are now, because the fangirls actually can't be housed in evil biomes. they're normal NPCs and as such, the game will say the housing is corrupted when trying to move them there. Flann is an exception, because she's a furniture spawned NPC. so, she can be housed anywhere, well, technically she'll be housed where the furniture is that spawned her.

I'm, not sure I wanna change Corry & Crim to be furniture-spawned, but I guess as things are now, we have 3 furniture-spawned NPCs, Flann, the CK barkeep, and the Cyber fangirl, funny enough I did not think about it before, what happens if you try to house them all in the same area. (even if the Cyber fangirl wouldn't belong to evil biomes). theoretically I wonder, if you can make a town in an evil biome that way?

Also think I saw some designs for evil pylons before that looked awesome, though there might be mods that used them already. or no?

It would be kind of complicated to do it like these NPCs are now, but the idea itself is certainly interesting.
It would be good to have a coder help with stuff though... XD

It's been a while there was any update to this, huh?
Sorry XD
And then, I've been tinkering with trying to port a certain other mod, but that was also a great chance to learn a lot about coding furniture.
There were also some posts about to fix town NPC happiness quotes appearing buggy, etc.

So, then, I've been tinkering with making a bunch of new stuff, as well as fixing up NPCs' quotes, although there are still a few things that aren't quite perfect at the moment - looking at your spritesheet, CK barkeep... - but overall, I think I made lots of progress. So, I might will upload these new stuff soon, and then try to fix the other stuff after, and add in some more stuff along with a new update. I have plenty of ideas about new deco NPCs, and some other furniture/deco stuff.

So, here are some screenshots about the new stuff!
Random.png

All sorts of random new stuff.
It's mostly vanilla sprites, but there are a few new stuff as well. The CK pamphlet for example is placeable now, on the wall. That book (and it comes in all vanilla book variants at random), is a sign, you can write text on it and it shows that, like vanilla signs. although it's a bit buggy, sometimes the sign interface doesn't shows up, but if placed in another tile, it does.
Also, the "cobbler's workbench" is a crafting station, to craft...

Deco Shoes.png

deco shoes!
there are plenty of them XD crafted from leather (or glass in case of the glass slippers). they're 1x1, but are slightly wider, so they somewhat cover each other. if you wanna see them better, leave some gaps between them

then, there are some random ogre stuff, generally "freed" from the vanilla display. also, the hat is from skeleton merchant. I was just wondering what would fit the ogre, tried that and was like "woah!" XD
Ogre.png

demonstration
(the restaurant sign is from Terrarchitect)
Ogre pic.png

Rope platform.png

another new thing is the
rope platform!
it's basically a platform that looks like a rope. the diagonal one looks silly if the player walks on it, but not sure what to do, since making it thicker would make it look weird too.
now it can be used to hang vanilla banners on it when hammered to bottom (or diagonal) position, but I'm planning to try to make some stuff like laundry as well, that could be put on it. but at the moment, it seems wind effect can't be added to modded stuff that are hanging from the ceiling.
(crafted from normal rope at sawbench)

Windy Walls.png

windy walls!
although not really visible there, these walls allow for the plants in front of it to have the wind effect it would have without the walls.
basically, they work like vanilla fences.
for that case, when one wants to add background bushes and such, but also wanna see the plants swaying in the wind.

New Goblins.png

the new Goblins!
also kept the old ones, renamed as legacy, but, so, here's the new Goblin set.
I also tried tinkering with them a bit more and, so, here are a bunch of young goblins too. - which also makes me wonder about other child deco NPCs for other sets too.
well, maybe soon.

Minish.png

and another new deco NPC set,
Minish!
They're actually 1x1, and use a "draw-in" method to show the bubble above them, so, they're relatively versatile where to place them, but can look weird if there are stuff right above.
due to the draw-in method, these are all facing a single direction, but you can craft them into the variant by hand that faces the other direction.

Minish Houses.png

various minish houses! make your own minish village in the depth of a forest, or in your own backyard. XD
Both the minish, and the minish houses use Perara fruit in the crafting recipe. (it's basically an edited and recolored vanilla seedling, to look like that thing from Minish Cap)
PeraraFruit.png

Clover Field.png

clover fiels
and

Crimleaf Clover.png

a crimson variant. 'cuz Flann.
in fact, at the moment, both variant of clover seeds are sold by Flann, if she's in the crimson.
despite the tooltip, they don't affect the player's luck in any way at the moment, but I might add such to them later, if I figure out how.

Minish pic.png

another little demonstration of minish, and also, the windy walls.

Ah, almost forgot XD

Harvesting Cane.png

There's this too!
It's working! it's an axe with the lowest possible axe power (as far as I know) to still make it count as an axe.
theoretically, it can actually chop trees if someone really wanna do that, but that would take ages XD but it's good for shaking trees without causing them any considerable harm.

And, uploaded the new update, I hope it's working. it didn't seemed to respond first, then gave me some timeout error, but when checked after, it shows up on the mod browser as freshly updated. If it does not works, tell it and I'll try to fix it. XD

Great mod, very fun to have in my world.
Though as I'm trying to get all the npc's, I can't seem to get the 3 orbs, Corrupted, Crimson and Hallowed, how does one acquire them?
Also theres a few bugs on the decorations, specifically the sideways barrels and the shoe racks, on my multiplayer world only the one who placed it can see it and it cannot be broken unless something else is placed inside of it from the other person who can't see it.
Lastly I think it should have a heads up that you cannot put the fangirls inside a crimson or corrupt housing, but I guess it's common knowledge that npc's cannot live there.
Otherwise very cool mod, hoping for even more random wacky npc's in the future, the more the merrier.

Great mod, very fun to have in my world.
Though as I'm trying to get all the npc's, I can't seem to get the 3 orbs, Corrupted, Crimson and Hallowed, how does one acquire them?
Also theres a few bugs on the decorations, specifically the sideways barrels and the shoe racks, on my multiplayer world only the one who placed it can see it and it cannot be broken unless something else is placed inside of it from the other person who can't see it.
Lastly I think it should have a heads up that you cannot put the fangirls inside a crimson or corrupt housing, but I guess it's common knowledge that npc's cannot live there.
Otherwise very cool mod, hoping for even more random wacky npc's in the future, the more the merrier.
I'm glad you like the mod.
As for thee orbs, they should be sold by the respective fangirl. Are they not selling them? (except for the cyber orb, which should be crafted from combining the other 3, but crimson orbs are also needed for other two furnitures too.

is it only barrels and shoe racks? are other furniture visible for others? multiplayer compatibility wasn't really thoroughly tested, and I'm not sure how to solve those problems without help...

Also, yeah, you can't house Corruption and Crimson fangirl in their favorite biomes. This is because you can't have valid houses in those biomes. you can build a house in the edge of an evil biome and have them wander around there or such, but if the house is considered corrupted, town NPCs can't move in.
Although the "furniture-spawned" method do offers an alt. solution to this. is you look at Flann for example, due to the fact that she'll live where her furniture is placed, she can be housed in evil biomes too - and she should too, because she only sells stuff if housed in the crimson. But it's also interesting, because even if an NPC is set to love these biomes, i also seems that town NPCs inherently hate these biomes. Also, for some reason, the game actually considers furniture-spawned NPCs "homeless", so with all these stuff combined, they charge extra for stuff they sell. tricky...
But yes, that way it is possible to house town NPCs in unusual places, but I'm not sure I want to change the fangirls to that method. You can still build their houses from crimson/corruption materials, even if they're housed in the forest (or anywhere else)

---

Also, I'm working on some new deco NPC sets now.
One new set is desert town civilians. This set is generally based on (Walt Disney) Aladdin (Aggrabah), and Phoenotopia's Atai city. It's just giving me a little bit of a headache what to do with female headgear, because feel odd about if everyone would cover their hair. So, decided to create some who cover hair and some who don't. and then it is up to players what NPCs they place. or can use them all too.
The general direction I try to aim for is a bustling, exotic bazaar town. sadly I'm still not sure about animated furniture, so, can't do fake NPCs who play animation, but maybe I'll figure out that too at some point. - think about stuff like snake charmers and other kind of exotic enternatiners! yeah, nothing like that for now XD but that would be super cool too!

Another set I'm considering/working on is a jungle(?) town set based on Golden Sun 3's Ayuthay. It is not a jungle city per-se, but maybe it would be somewhat fitting.
But the jungle in general is an interesting biome that offers other quite obvious choices as well for "factions", most notably the Lizhards. there are a standard and a spear guard Lizhard in the mod already, but that's not really offers much variations, so... I wonder about Lizhard culture and fashion... what sort of clothes they wear? the standard Lizhard garment isn't very interesting. - if the Jungle Temple is inspired by Indiana Jones movies, are Lizhards culture resembling South-American Indians? like Mayans, Incan, Aztec, etc.?
Then, there's another jungle related faction in the game being the Pygmies (Pigmy staff), but they also sound tricky to work with because none of those actually show face ('cuz masks), so it's hard to tell how their face size compares to the standard player/town NPC face... So, that's more just thinking loud for now, but I think they sound interesting, and fitting for the jungle.

And also tinkering with a few other simple stuff. Let's see how these sets turn out.

Could also go for a more typical human tribal group for the jungle without going into other races I guess.

Also, yeah, you can't house Corruption and Crimson fangirl in their favorite biomes. This is because you can't have valid houses in those biomes. you can build a house in the edge of an evil biome and have them wander around there or such, but if the house is considered corrupted, town NPCs can't move in.
Although the "furniture-spawned" method do offers an alt. solution to this. is you look at Flann for example, due to the fact that she'll live where her furniture is placed, she can be housed in evil biomes too - and she should too, because she only sells stuff if housed in the crimson. But it's also interesting, because even if an NPC is set to love these biomes, i also seems that town NPCs inherently hate these biomes. Also, for some reason, the game actually considers furniture-spawned NPCs "homeless", so with all these stuff combined, they charge extra for stuff they sell. tricky...
The Sunflower reduces evil score by 40 for housing validity purposes. Perhaps some custom themed furniture items that work in kind of the same way (reducing evil score) would allow evil-biome-loving characters to accept their houses? Like a crimsunflower and corrupsunflower, sold by the fangirls, that reduce evil score by 400 or something huge like that so you don't need to spam them out too much.

The Sunflower reduces evil score by 40 for housing validity purposes. Perhaps some custom themed furniture items that work in kind of the same way (reducing evil score) would allow evil-biome-loving characters to accept their houses? Like a crimsunflower and corrupsunflower, sold by the fangirls, that reduce evil score by 400 or something huge like that so you don't need to spam them out too much.
that's very interesting. I didn't know about that (or maybe I just forgot).
I know that surflowers have all sorts of interesting things, like the happy buff, protecting the 2 blocks they're on from evil, countering gravestones when it's about graveyard biomes, but, do they also reduce the effect of evil biomes on housing?
that's very interesting. I wonder about sunflowers' code though. how do they do that?

also, speaking of fangirls, just realised their spawning condition is wrong... I'm pretty sure I changed them at some point, but now why they're back to the original? ebonstone for corru, and crimstone for crim... this is not good, it should be reversed, to make it much easier to acquire them both early game. I'll fix that in the next update.

...Sigh...
Why no one's helping... Could someone who knows how to code, help me properly port the mod?
I managed to fix everything that T-modporter did not fix, except the Town NPCs' shop. And pretty much all NPC focused mods use the multi-shop approach now (and no special currencies either) so no idea how a "normal" should be coded, because the only example I can see it that - or example mod, but it only has example of modded items, not vanilla...?

Someone who knows how to code such... please... help...

Still stuck with the NPCs' shops, I'm wondering whether to upload a version ported that has that part disabled now - which is how it is because otherwise I can't test other parts either due to the errors. - or just wait...

But while I have trouble fixing that, I decided to add in the next deco NPC set, the desert town civilian set. this set is mainly inspired by Aladdin, and I tried to aim for some kind of colorful bazaar town feel, it also has some additional characters, like goblins and the like, to add some more to the exotic bazaar that may or may not be the home of more than just humans. I'm still feeling conflicted about headscarves, because of many reasons, but when going for a medieval-ish desert town atmosphere, it also feels like that's part of it too. but I might be wrong, I'm curious of everyone's opinion.

Also added 3 farmers, and 2 characters - Crown Prince Amity, and his uncle King Phaitos - from another planned set I mentioned before, inspired by Golden Sun 3's Ayuthay, as a somewhat jungle-town set, or something like that. these sets also somewhat meant to be somewhat interchangeable, as people might move to other towns, right?
The farmer's too, meant to be part of a probably bigger set, but that's for some later update. They're more on the "generic" side, less on the "exotic", but there's a big need for generic deco NPC sets too, right? ...although... many actual NPCs already fill that role, but might could make our (usually) main, "forest" towns more bustling too. So, yeah, as part of that, here are some farmers for the rural countryside.

also wanna revisit previous sets too, to add some new stuff, such as children to the dynasty set too, just like how this desert town set has. initially, I was confused about height and the like regarding that, but it's actually pretty simple, since we have everyone's favorite annoying brat angler who is a kid.
This also made me wonder about bigger-than-avarage townspeople, based on the tavernkeep's sprite, but haven't tried that yet. (well, the CK barkeep do has an outfit similar to that though, because he's also a bretty big and tall individual XD

20230809232302_1.jpg

...Sigh...
Why no one's helping... Could someone who knows how to code, help me properly port the mod?
I managed to fix everything that T-modporter did not fix, except the Town NPCs' shop. And pretty much all NPC focused mods use the multi-shop approach now (and no special currencies either) so no idea how a "normal" should be coded, because the only example I can see it that - or example mod, but it only has example of modded items, not vanilla...?

Someone who knows how to code such... please... help...
Oof, If I knew how to code, i would love to help. Alas I do not. Perhaps consider asking some of the other Modders with NPC shops and see if they could provide a pointer or two?

EDIT: Come to think of it... I suppose a "Lite" version of the mod would not be out of the question? With just the static NPCs? I've seen some other mods offer "Lite" versions which tend to get updated sooner.

EDIT 2: Wait a minute! I know who you could ask for help! You could ask DivermanSam! His Tracker NPC uses alternate currency! Maybe they could figure out what's wrong with your restaurant vouchers.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, is this mod available for 1.4.4? It doesn't seem to be? I loved it, pre-1.4.4. But you know how it goes, sometimes we just need to go on hiatus from Terraria, even if it means missing entire updates. I've been getting back into it lately due to Journey Mode and I'm trying to do the whole builder thing. Loved this mod, since it lets me populate my towns. Would love if it's up to date and I'm just missing something?

Reactions: oko
Back
Top Bottom