Was liquid duplication via pump circulation patched with 1.4?

That's what i was afraid and people kept assuring me "no they deemed it a feature long ago they won't patch it"
Well look at that ... They did :/

Really going to miss this:

Attachments

• 20200114215554_1.jpg
    20200114215554_1.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 1,481
Ocean/Jungle money farm was indeed changed due to new fish AI. However it's still very doable, thankfully.
You'll need to allow the fish to see you - direct line of sight. So you'll want to build on the bottom of the ocean rather than the surface first of all.
Then, use bubble blocks to allow for a pocket of air, in the middle of which you'll be standing in a pool as usual. This way you can lure the fish into a pit, where your slimes will slap them around until you get rich.
Pictures of a possible setup can be found here. Credits to whoever wrote that.

A few things to note: You'll want to upgrade the lucky coin so you can actually pick up the coins from below you. This was not previously required. Also, because of the somewhat large pit, the rate of cash is somewhat slower, but still produces a couple of platinum every five minutes.
You could easily rig up some teleporters to move the fish into a smaller space immediately above you, likely increasing the rate of farming and allowing you to pick up the other drops such as pirate maps - but I find the design described in the above link is nice precisely because you don't pick up everything. Your choice.

1.4.0.4 patch notes say:

-Added a serverconfig setting "slowliquids" that restores the maximum moving liquid/quick settle condition to 1.3.5.3's setting, off by default. Turning this on will decrease the amount of liquid that can move at once, but may reduce lag

That probably affect this. It sounds like we can restore the old way liquids moved and the old liquid duplication method in multiplayer?

Honestly I tried and either with slowliquids=1 and 0 there is no change in liquid duplication. Can anyone else confirm or shed light?

Using this design, I got the lava duplicator to work super quickly on a three second timer.
(Just wanted to share in case it helped speed up anyone else's duplication).

jeez... it only took 24 hours (I've not slept in awhile ~.~) butttttt...
heres a tutorial I just recently finished, the machine does all 3 liquids.

YOU NEEDA BE ON A MULTIPLAYER SERVER. Even if no one is playing with you, host it by yourself. liquids act differently on single player and I can't be bothered to get it working on single player. >.> gl and hf. also lava needs a 5 second timer (forgot to put that in video) honey/water need 3 second timers.

Honestly I tried and either with slowliquids=1 and 0 there is no change in liquid duplication. Can anyone else confirm or shed light?
I have tried with the slow liquids on, version 1.4.0.4 GOG, if anything I loose liquids instead of creating more. This was using pumps and the familiar pyramid of single blocks approach.

The game could use a new sets of recipes to make pumps that produce the liquid, since liquid generation bugs were fixed.
Well, instead pumps, they would be faucets:

* Water Faucet : Outlet Pump + several water buckets (Or maybe a bottomless bucket) + Pure Water Fountain
* Honey Faucet: Outlet Pump + several honey buckets + several hive blocks (or maybe a Honey Comb) + Jungle Water Fountain
* Lava Faucet: Outlet Pump + several lava buckets (or maybe bottomless lava bucket) + several Obsidian ore

Also, the inlet pump could get a version placeable inside lava:

* Lava pump: Inlet pump + several obsidian

That would solve the issue after liquid duplication got fixed.

Liquiduping wasn't fixed, nor was meant to be - although changes to the liquid mechanics did make it way more unreliable (and I have a theory of what exactly affected it)
I did manage to get certain configurations to work occasionally, but it took me a while to get something that would work consistently

Capture 2020-05-30 21_14_29.png

(disregard the pyramid shape, was testing different configs)

Tested with all liquids - the water uses 1/4 sec, lava 1 sec and honey 3 sec timers
Actuated blocks are alternating between themselves, so you'll need actuate one set before wiring in the other
Sometimes it might stop duplicating (mainly when reloading worlds) - in that case the device needs to be 'recalibrated' - just plug the output holes and let entire thing to flood itself, unplug, fire, profit
Also, I'm not etirely sure if all segments are required/beneficial - will have to test it some other time

There is also waaaay simpler design that I've come up later, but when tested against honey it was duping around 2x slower - however since it is dead simple and seems pretty reliable, here it is:

Capture 2020-06-01 22_43_18.png

This desing relies on the fact that there is always a solid column of liquid above the splitter
However because of this it does need quite a bit of liquid bufferred before use and doesn't work with water (1/4 sec is too slow for it)
Also is kinda slow... but eh, better than nothing

Also, before someone asks - these were tested SINGLEPLAYER ONLY, no local/dedicated servers

Hope it helps

Capture 2020-06-03 12_51_28.png

Tried a smaller version of the one above. With the 1/4 Timer it drained the water away but with 1/2 it started to slowly rise. Not sure if it needs a longer path for the faster timer
Edit: After some testing 1/4 works to probably had something to do with amount of water

Last edited:
Yeah, the real issue is with the rounding algorithm - in c# (possibly in other languages as well) numbers with fractions of exactly .5 get rounded to the nearest even number (which, honestly, does make sense when you take cumulative rounding error to account)
Old code (1.3.5) used additional epsilon value of .001 that caused all numbers with halves to always round up - which I assumed (apparently rightly so) as the real culprit here
This is why I tried to use actuators - to control the flow of liquids - so that I would always split full block of liquids (liquid level of 255) between two spaces (255/2 = 127.5, rounded up to 128)
That also means we'll probably never gonna have designs rivalling with the speed of the old ones if that part won't get reverted - but as long as it works I don't mind it as much

Now, the design might still break, since the game only handles so much liquid updates at once, so when you'd start for instance draining some bigger lake, the order might get skewed and change everything again
Fortunately, as already stated, it's not that hard to fix - just flood entire system and restart
I guess it would be wise to also have additional separated tank filling in just in case of voiding entire contents

EDIT: also, don't bother with slowliquids - the only thing it does is reduce max amount of liquid updates per tick, so it won't lag the server if somebody decides to drain the ocean

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom