Was the zoologist design a bad idea?

ALL SHE IS JUST A GIRL WEARING EARS AND A TAIL.

THEY MIGHT NOT EVEN BE A PART OF HER BODY.

AND EVERY GAME HAS RAUNCHY ART.

PLEASE CALM DOWN
Y'all are screaming about the Zoologist when the golfer is right there
Yes,i dont get why everyone hates the Zoologist,its an npc,pixels,with a friendly behavior,that gives us items in exchange of money,its just a...Uhhh,i dont know the definition

I mean, she's a furry, and on top of that, trans. That's enough to be considered a bad idea and poor addition in a lot of people's books.
How, is she, trans? And no sheā€™s is not a furry, they are just some ā€œtoyā€ ears and a tail.

I believe the development team has the right to include any sort of NPC design they wish.

But the Zoologist blatantly stands out when compared to other sprites. On top of having a more "refreshed" and "softer" style she has.. well, she's got pixel boobs. There's no real avoiding pointing this out.

Like, yes, it's pixels. But the intention is there. And she's incredibly pronounced. It looks tacky, it looks blatant. Not even the Dryad looks like this, despite wearing less.

It's like when you're browsing fanart online, and you see a really nice image of a character.. but their feet are just a little too hyper-detailed, or there's a distressingly high amount of attention being drawn to their armpit. That's the impression I get from the NPC - it feels like the artwork of somebody that couldn't hold themselves back.

It's not obscene, and it's not going to drive the game's rating up, nor is it going to be enough to give people the wrong impression of the game.

But the Zoologist stands out artistically, and not for good reasons.

I believe the development team has the right to include any sort of NPC design they wish.

But the Zoologist blatantly stands out when compared to other sprites. On top of having a more "refreshed" and "softer" style she has.. well, she's got pixel boobs. There's no real avoiding pointing this out.

Like, yes, it's pixels. But the intention is there. And she's incredibly pronounced. It looks tacky, it looks blatant. Not even the Dryad looks like this, despite wearing less.

It's like when you're browsing fanart online, and you see a really nice image of a character.. but their feet are just a little too hyper-detailed, or there's a distressingly high amount of attention being drawn to their armpit. That's the impression I get from the NPC - it feels like the artwork of somebody that couldn't hold themselves back.

It's not obscene, and it's not going to drive the game's rating up, nor is it going to be enough to give people the wrong impression of the game.

Iā€™m sorry but i honestly canā€™t understand this:confused:. she has the same base model of Every. Single. Female npc and player character. If someone could get a comparison thingy that would be nice cus I just canā€™t see the difference...

So... are you suggesting that a character that has visibly apparent breasts is a priori problematic? That the developers have to explicitly avoid giving a character a larger-than-average cup size, lest they be accused of looking "blatant" or whatever it is you're suggesting?

I don't really understand. I mean, if every female character had large breasts and wore a low-cut outfit, I could see an argument being made. But one character out of over half-a-dozen females having visibly apparent breasts? I don't get the issue.

i mean, the desiegn is great, but she doesn't apear for me when i have all her housing requirments fufilled

i mean, the desiegn is great, but she doesn't apear for me when i have all her housing requirments fufilled
Weird. I just build a house and she moved on, I wasn't expecting her at all. Maybe is there's some requirement (such a boss defeated) for her to appear?

In a game where we go kill horror monster with a billion eyes attached on them, murder innocent critters, causing mass extinction while riding on a giant fish wielding 10 swords at once, a bundle of pixels, a pair of ears and a tail is what people are concerned about. I see how it is.

Let's be real. People will make "fanarts" of anything they damn well please. Make her not a fox girl, changing her gender, whatever. If it exists, there will be "inappropriate fanart" of it. A dwarf appearing for a grand total of 2 minutes in a game released in the 90s got "fanart".

Worrying about this should be the least of people's concern. It's happening regardless of how you design her. And it's not like these kind of things just randomly bump into your face due to the multiple filters everywhere, you have to actively seek out for it.

Weird. I just build a house and she moved on, I wasn't expecting her at all. Maybe is there's some requirement (such a boss defeated) for her to appear?

The only requirement, as far as I know, is having a certain percentage of the bestiary completed, so just kill things until she appears. It's not too much, she was the third NPC I got after the Guide and Merchant.

In a game where we go kill horror monster with a billion eyes attached on them, murder innocent critters, causing mass extinction while riding on a giant fish wielding 10 swords at once, a bundle of pixels, a pair of ears and a tail is what people are concerned about. I see how it is.

Let's be real. People will make "fanarts" of anything they damn well please. Make her not a fox girl, changing her gender, whatever. If it exists, there will be "inappropriate fanart" of it. A dwarf appearing for a grand total of 2 minutes in a game released in the 90s got "fanart".

Worrying about this should be the least of people's concern. It's happening regardless of how you design her. And it's not like these kind of things just randomly bump into your face due to the multiple filters everywhere, you have to actively seek out for it.

I'd go beyond that: why should people be concerned about sexually suggestive or even explicit fan art to begin with? If that's what someone wants to spend their time creating or looking at, so be it. Let these communities have their fun and feel free to ignore them.

So long as they're not shoving them in your face (and I'm fairly sure the forum has ways of dealing with that), what's the harm?

There's so many superheroes or cartoons with either animal characters or people with animal costumes, and nobody really cared about it, but when a new NPC that's wearing fox ears appears, people are like "omg it's a furry". Like come on, people really need to stop characterizing everything with the furry fanbase. I obviously don't have anything against them, but there's just a bad stigma all around them that's just not cool for some of the people out there.

Also to be fair, there's characters who are wearing next to nothing in this game, and that's pixels too. I don't think people really cared about it either, there's no need to spread pointless controversy overy such minor things.

Yo Zoologist is easily best girl and I love her gyaru speech patterns. It's like another Brittany from DQB2. (Plus actually turning full werewolf on full moons is a nice touch.)

As others have mentioned, I don't see the issue. So what? A lady is actually designed in a form-showing way? Not knocking the designs of the other female NPCs in any way. Rather, I'm saying that it's good that not every single NPC of the same sex has an identical body. It's good that there's some variety in their shape, it helps solidify their character. The Mechanic, for the record, seems to be... less built. All of this applies to the males, too. The Goblin Tinkerer is shorter, the Truffle is tall and lean, the Android is an android.

Jesus Christ, on the steam discussion boards people threw a :red:FIT over "oooh she's trans" like, holy hell.

Look I'm as anti-SJW as the next guy but this is not a problem even if true.

My absolute stance on the matter is: she sells me a book that makes me not kill poor innocent critters anymore. As far as I'm concerned she's alright.

... only problem I have with it is that somehow jellyfish count? I wasn't able to attack the jellyfish in the ocean for some reason... maybe a glitch?

You are all complaining about the zoologist

you donā€™t complain about the witch doctor

please explain that to me

whats wrong about witch docter? (just wondering)
nothing is, its just that he has a tail and, well, so does the zoologist, but for some reason when you add fox/cat ears, it triggers the community

(the witch doctor is one of mah fav NPCā€™s cuz he sells nice stuff)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom