Was the zoologist design a bad idea?

Her tail and ears might be fake, I just read the wiki :confused:

"Staahp pulling on my tail, bro, it's totally real, and like...totally hurts when you pull on it!"
"Oh, THESE ears? Haha, totes better to hear you with, my dear!"

all I could think was: ‘hmm she sounds like it’s juSt a costUmE’ but she turns into a kind of werefox at night so I don’t really know at this point itS gEtTiNg cOnFuSiNg

Seriously, what did the zoologist do to you? Do you care how developers draw characters? I’m just wondering what part of the body do you think when you criticize a character simply because she is furry? If you hate this culture - better shut up and don’t write your unnecessary opinion to anyone, and if you bought a game and play, don’t complain. No one needs hate, especially this.

Her aesthetic is awful, and her speech is like nails on chalkboard, which is rather impressive considering it's just a text box. I do not like her, no, not one bit. I dislike her as much as as that useless goddamned Dye Trader thinks the forest isn't good enough for him! WELL, DANEL, LET'S SEE HOW YOUR LOFTY EXPECTATIONS DO IN AN OCEAN FLOOR SHACK--

Okay, all silliness aside, I do find her design and personality rather offputting, but it's not something I'm about to be up in arms about or demand she be removed from the game for it. I simply don't like her, and will probably not really invest as much time in her lodgings or what she does as other NPCs and.. that's it. Game's still fun, not the end of the world.

I don't like them, but over time i can't deny their vendored goods aren't not useful. Fairy glowsticks are good for lighting up deep underground/cavern lakes/oceans, and i can see the utility in the summon whip for maintaining focus on a enemy without switching staff's.

However they draw attention to the beastiary as a shallow mechanic/gimmick of doing what we would be doing already in amassing banners, its another shop and another NPC but doesn't really draw any immediate or long-term benefit outside of interacting with this one thing which they don't offer anything to contribute towards directly or interact with (outside the shop) to teach the player anything helpful about the beastiary's use or how to interact with some new critters.

For example
  • Guide doesn't drop any hints about fairies or where they live despite being a prominent exploration mechanic or even defer the responsibility like they do with the tavernkeeper.
  • I assume many players aren't aware of the weakness of Gnomes to sunlight, which replaces their drops by instead turning them into a object (a very lucrative object that increases luck as a big wad of silver coins falling from a tree nearby it recently taught me)
These are just a small handful of instances where players would be usefully informed by somoene who studies critters and their quirks for a profession. Maybe even click a entry in the beastiary around them to get a quippet of trivia about them. Easiest way to learn gnomes transform & faries live inside those logs you've spent the last hour tracking down and destroying for extra wood.

Aesthetically the change in direction is a little bit jarring, in my own personal opinion i wouldn't have minded if they actually wore a animal costume proper as the purpose of a disguise to get close to animals to study them (and entertain themselves) then turn themselves into the lycanthrope equivilent at night time to keep to gimmick, that'd be a fun and varied interaction that gets around the stigma thats been tacked on by applying a degree of purpose around it.

Then they'd have (*checks list of wares*)
:redmunch:💬 CanisVulpisLacertiliaOryctolagus-thropy

Or rather a lot of bites from wierd animals who don't like being studied.

I have nothing against furries, but every single complaint I make about this one character is going to be hypocritically applicable to other characters and blatantly boil down to being triggered by a 'furry'.

I also have many black friends. Buuuut.....

Dont get me wrong i love the idea of getting rewards from her and seeing the monsters that you killed but why a fox girl? i dont hate furrys or anything like that its just the fan art thats already coming out is going somewhere (I hope we all know where its going) but if you like it thats pefectly fine. i just dont like its design and is going to make people a little toxic over it. for instance rayman origins nymphs a huge risky design and a lot of people were nasty about it.

I don't see what the problem is. Art is the pinnacle of many civilizations.

can y’all stop complaining about the zoologist?
the golfer is probably crying in the corner because of no recognition.

Was anyone else really hoping for an Alien NPC? I can just imagine some of his tiny-bodied, big-hearted dialogue being hilarious. And selling goofy Alien items. Shrunken abducted Elvis in a jar. A-probes, "The A stands for 'Alien'.... Don't be gross!"

Back
Top Bottom