PC Water and Terraria 2

AutumnSolace

Terrarian
One of the things I had the most fun with in Terraria apart from digging deep to see how low (or high) I could go. That constant mystery of what's beyond and working to tear through all the blockades stopping me from getting there. Same feel as Steamworld dig, though Terraria is much better.

I often had a lot of fun messing around with water and mechanisms. Opening a water pocket and making pipelines to send it all to a specific reservoir near my base. I was always bothered by how fluid physics wouldn't keep exact track of liquids, and you could infinitely duplicate them, or lose them by having them travel too many blocks.

I'm curious if there were ever any mods that changed water for the better? as well I hope that if we do ever get a Terraria 2, fluids, water and falling materials like sand being consistent with the world so we never lose any resources, only move them around would be my most requested feature. Really adds to the immersion for me.

Attachments

• pyramid.png
    pyramid.png
    719.5 KB · Views: 54
I was always bothered by how fluid physics wouldn't keep exact track of liquids, and you could infinitely duplicate them, or lose them by having them travel too many blocks.
Didn't actually know that they could disappear if they travelled too far like that, and I've been playing for a good while. Is that true? I never really kept a close enough eye on falling water to notice.

Didn't actually know that they could disappear if they travelled too far like that, and I've been playing for a good while. Is that true? I never really kept a close enough eye on falling water to notice.
I forget the exact limit, but I discovered it while trying to make a lava moat work. If water or lava is allowed to travel on a flat plane for too many blocks, some of it is lost and will eventually fizzle out into nothing.

Yeah fluids can be lost fairly easily its helpful when its lava from lava slimes in the underworld but yeah it can be annoying especially when you are working with fluids early game and don't yet have the bottomless water/lava buckets and their counterpart sponges. The Wet/Dry/Lava/Honey bombs and rockets are quite useful too but all of those options come fairly late since you need hell bait at the minimum to get any of those tools.

The fluid mechanics have been considerably improved over time however they used to be a lot more finicky and could even crash the game outright I believe there were at least 2 major fluid overhauls? Currently fluid duplication via water level mechanisms has been patched unless a new exploit has been found but the loss of fluids remains as protection from crashing the game if too much fluid or falling blocks are active at once.
As for things in liquids I have argued for a while for more content in the water I even made a suggestion about it years ago.

Back
Top Bottom