Weapons & Equip [Sprites]Watering Can: A New Gardening and Building Tool

Snickerbobble

The Painter
H8lw2Qr.png

The Watering Can is a handy tool that can be used for gardening and transforming liquid tiles.

H8lw2Qr.png
Y5v727e.png
WkKrHtl.png
dBDwOl0.png

Empty Watering Can, Watering Can, Lava Can, and Honey Can. You take an Empty Watering Can and click a tile to fill it with 50 squirts of that liquid. Squirts do not place liquid, but effect tiles which can be effected by squirts, such as herbs. To empty your Watering Can, click on the liquid it contains, or simply click around until you reach 0 squirts.

ctp5WTT.png

As a gardening tool, you can click on herbs to help them grow. Each time you water an herb, it has a 50% chance to advance a stage, and if you water it with honey, it will have a 25% chance to bloom if blooming conditions are meant (i.e. it needs to be a Blood Moon to make a Deathweed sprout bloom.) Watering a blooming plant will give it a 25% chance to drop double the seeds and watering with honey will give a 25% chance to drop double the herbs. An herb can only be watered 3 times a day, or else it will die on the 4th click. Watering with lava will kill plants, except for Fireblossom, which will use lava as its water. Watering a Fireblossom will cause it to die.

You can also water other non-herb plants, such as vines to grow them longer, grass blocks to spread growth (such as mushroom grass), and saplings to increase chance to grow into a tree. Watering a tree with water will let it drop more acorns and wood, and watering it with honey will give it a small chance to grow into a super tall tree that world generation gives us (not Living Trees).

Now you may be wondering, this may seem like a neat function, but is that all it can do? Nope! The Watering Can can be a helpful tool for those who don't bother with making herb farms and decorations. The Watering Can's main function is its ability to transform liquid blocks! Squirts on liquids will result in what you would expect, such as Water on Lava making Obsidian, Honey on Water making Honey Blocks, etc.

Dwx8js2.png

So you're building under lava and decide you want to add in another room. But wait! You have to remove ALL that lava first so you can place your blocks. What a pain, right? What are we gonna do!?

miE2XHJ.png

Instead of scooping up hundreds of lava blocks (which I had to for this picture), you can simply click on lava tiles with your Watering Can and transform the lava into Obsidian or Crispy Honey Blocks, all depending on which liquid you can is filled with. Lava on lava won't do anything. Once you convert a block, you can keep clicking around to get rid of those lava blocks you don't want there anymore. With +3 range, you should be able to clear out areas quite easily.

suXHNnU.png

Mine away and place your blocks, and repeat until you've got that new room you want! Instead of taking 10 minutes to build this room, with the Watering Can, it will only take seconds! This ability is also very useful when digging hellevators, so there will no longer be a need to try to flood hell to create obsidian barriers.

The Watering Can can also water Clouds to transform them into Rain Clouds, for those who have too much Clouds but not enough Rain Clouds. You can revert Rain Clouds back to normal Clouds by clicking them with an Empty Watering Can and gain a squirt point back.

Now for how it is obtained. The Dryad will sell it after Skeletron's defeat for 10 gold coins. As the player is expected to have equipment beyond gold/platinum gear by then, this will allow players to more easily dig their way to the Underworld to battle Wall of Flesh. No easy gold for new characters!

That's about it, I think. Did I miss anything? I hope you like this!

This suggestion is ported over from TO: right here! "Azure" and "Metal" are two users who share the same account, with Metal being myself.

Last edited:
Please read the rules before posting here. :)
Expectations When Posting

We ask that Community members strive for a certain level of quality content in their posts. As such, please avoid:
  • Single image meme responses.
  • Posting +/-1 (use the like button instead).
  • Thread bumps without substantial additional content.
  • Multi/Double posting and duplicate threads.
  • Begging for anything, likes/games/follows/subscriptions/etc.

nice idea but there is a suggestion made by @Baconfry that was very similar but it doesnt have the watering feature. ill think about supporting this
This one came first, though, on TerrariaOnline, so I'm the one who was late to the party.

Still, if watering herbs is going to be impossible, that kind of defeats the purpose of having the tool shaped like a watering can instead of a sponge.

This is a really good idea!
Could there be an upgraded version to water more herbs at once? Or an upgrade to increase chances of more drops or growth rate?

This one came first, though, on TerrariaOnline, so I'm the one who was late to the party.

Still, if watering herbs is going to be impossible, that kind of defeats the purpose of having the tool shaped like a watering can instead of a sponge.
If it can't water plants, it can still have a cute design instead of referencing one member on the forums. If one person gets a ref, everyone will want a ref. If you ask me, although both sound silly to use, the watering can sounds more of a proper lava removing tool than.. a sponge.

I'll stay optimistic and hope they figure out a way to work out the trees. Looks like Cenx only mentioned trees, so other plants and herbs could be possible. I'm feeling she may have ment that trees have to grow off screen and was saying they can't be made to grow on screen.

Maybe watering a tree sprout could turn it into a different sprout that has a chance to spawn taller than the standard planted sprout.

The only phase changing/spawning that herbs can do on screen is bloom. So maybe it could give a chance to bloom without proper blooming conditions but you can only get one seed when harvested this way.

Sorry :(

I guess it becomes purely a matter of flavor, then.
For the plants that randomly decide when to bloom and when not to, there would be the same issue as trees. As for Fireblossom and Waterleaf, they bloom in the presence of water/lava, so if using this formed a sort of ultra-thin puddle at the base of the plant that was exempt from the usual fluid mechanics, it could work.

There's really a complex interplay of ideas and issues here.

The Magic Sponge manipulates liquids in a slightly more logical way than the Watering Can (the watering animation won't be logical when it's draining water, after all) and does large-volume transport, if we try things Sz's way.

The Watering Can manipulates liquids as well, though it doesn't do water transport. But it comes with an opportunity to influence plant growth, that we'll just have to figure out how to program.

My beehive suggestion, however, is just as logical when it comes to herb blooming, and comes with additional bonuses.

Decisions, decisions!

Back
Top Bottom