Game Mechanics Way to Nerf Ranger Class

King Victor

Skeletron Prime
I don't know if anything like this has been suggested, but I'll try anyway because I didn't find anything like it.

This is more a vague idea than a suggestion, the devs are probably going to sort out how OP rangers are another way.

What I suggest, is after a couple bullets are fired (Depends on gun, so you don't get burnout after one second with a fast firing gun) you get a debuff called "Burnout". Several things would happen with this debuff.

1. The gun would be much more inaccurate
2. The fire-rate of the gun would decrease significantly.
3. If you continue firing with the debuff on for too long, you catch on fire, regardless of obsidian shield being on or not.

This is pretty much all I have. I know it's underdeveloped, but I'm not good at coming up with stats. I just thought I'd chuck my idea out there. So take this with a grain of salt.

Why nerf it? I mean, sure, maybe a few weapons, but all ranger weapons? Also what about grenade launchers, bows, and throwing items (which will be merged with Ranger in 1.4)?

Why nerf it? I mean, sure, maybe a few weapons, but all ranger weapons? Also what about grenade launchers, bows, and throwing items (which will be merged with Ranger in 1.4)?
They're not as powerful as guns.

Also, the reason it needs a nerf is because of how OP it is.

Or you could just nerf the stats of the overpowered Ranger weapons instead of complicating things like this.

This change may be a nerf to Megashark and Onyx Blaster and while that's justified, it's also a big nerf to guns like the Clockwork Rifle, Vortex Beater, Xenopopper, and well pretty much every viable gun that isn't deemed broken and doesn't need a change, while also leaving the problematic bows (Daedalus, Chloro Shotbow to an extent, Tsunami, Phantasm) completely untouched, unless you have something for those too.

Last edited:
Ranged damage spec is not overpowered or broken or anything. It's just easy to play. That's all.

There's nothing wrong with a few gameplay methods being easier to play while still getting powerful results - it allows people at lower skill levels to keep up with players of high skill levels.

Instead of Ranged damage being nerfed, Magic and everything around the Mana system would ideally be revamped to make it more satisfying to play and feel less like "Ranged damage with more restrictive ammo mechanics" as a lot of players tend to treat it like casually, when realistically Magic vomits damage all over everything if you have proper preparation in a way that nothing else in the game can, so frankly I'm content with the state of things as of 1.3.

We'll see how things change in 1.4.

Guys, calm down. I was just throwing an idea out there, take it with a grain of salt.

I find Ranger class very broken, but that's just my opinion. I suppose we could just nerf pre-existing guns, but where's the fun in that?

I guess this feature would change the very nature of the game in a way, I just find it weird you can nonstop fire bullets forever with no drawbacks.

You leave ranged alone, it does not need any nerfs, the other classes are what needs buffing.
Totally not bias or anything lol

I dunno. The other classes are pretty strong already in my opinion.

I suppose we could just nerf pre-existing guns, but where's the fun in that?

I dunno. The other classes are pretty strong already in my opinion.
You imply there is any fun in your idea.

The other classes feel a little weak, though that may just be me. I usually end up having to use a Ranged weapon as a Warrior, and mana can take a while to recharge (I don't find making or using Mana Potions fun).
I dunno about Summoner, though.

You imply there is any fun in your idea.

The other classes feel a little weak, though that may just be me. I usually end up having to use a Ranged weapon as a Warrior, and mana can take a while to recharge (I don't find making or using Mana Potions fun).
I dunno about Summoner, though.
C'mon! You don't think being set on fire is fun?

Last edited:
C'mon! You don't think being set of fire isn't fun?
Not when I’m trying to kill ML. I see another problem with this: terraria isn’t a game where “waiting around” is a good idea. Much of what makes Terraria amazing is the fast-paced boss battles, where you’re always on your guard. I don’t like the idea of sitting around waiting for my gun to cool off. Basically, in some cases this may be cool but it wouldn’t apply well in many cases.

I mean, I could see it being used as an incentive to swap between multiple guns. Use one gun while another is cooling off, so on and so forth.

On paper, rotating through weapons sounds cool, but in practice it just means you're changing the rate of how often you're launching a projectile in the enemy's direction.

This would add depth to Ranged gameplay in that you're using more than one gun, but depth isn't always fun.

Not when I’m trying to kill ML. I see another problem with this: terraria isn’t a game where “waiting around” is a good idea. Much of what makes Terraria amazing is the fast-paced boss battles, where you’re always on your guard. I don’t like the idea of sitting around waiting for my gun to cool off. Basically, in some cases this may be cool but it wouldn’t apply well in many cases.
Who said you have to stand still? Also, you kinda have to do that with Mage class, soo.

Hm maybe if ammo clips were added, a little pixel clip would show how many shots you have left, obvious slow guns would have a small clip and fast guns would have a relatively large clip, the reload time should be like one second for fast shooter, enough to somewhat effect dps, and the rocket launcher subclass make reloading between each 1-3 shots two seconds long.
I can see this working, plus the reloading animation could be cool/a cool little pixel clip could fall on the ground!
This way you could add accessories that further decrease ammo consumption... Hol' up I'm about to make a post on this myself now :D

Hm maybe if ammo clips were added, a little pixel clip would show how many shots you have left, obvious slow guns would have a small clip and fast guns would have a relatively large clip, the reload time should be like one second for fast shooter, enough to somewhat effect dps, and the rocket launcher subclass make reloading between each 1-3 shots two seconds long.
I can see this working, plus the reloading animation could be cool/a cool little pixel clip could fall on the ground!
This way you could add accessories that further decrease ammo consumption... Hol' up I'm about to make a post on this myself now :D
Reloading actually is something I've wanted for a while, and it would be a good way to nerf it without doing anything really bad. It doesn't help the fact that Bows and Rocket Launchers are really strong and adaptable though.

Back
Top Bottom