Game Mechanics We need a more efficent version of banners!

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes, I like this idea!

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, I don't like this idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think this could be done in a different way. (Please explain below)

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pro Superstar

Terrarian
NOTICE: Ignore the above poll. I closed it so my idea isn't center stage. If you have a different idea PLEASE suggest it! My idea alone isn't going to convince the devs.

If you're like me, who has played Terraria for an extensive amount of time, you'll notice that those useful banners really add up. It gets to a point that you need to store them somewhere for future use or put all of them up at your base when you get more than a few of each. But we can get so much that we have nowhere to put them or store them, or we put so many in one spot that each banner can't cover as much space as it can because so many other banners are with it.

My suggestion is that we can put them in a special container that can combine their effects. Not only that, but hovering your cursor over the container can show its radius of effect. I think this container could either be an expensive craft or sold at a high price, because the container's radius revealing, effect stacking, size efficient power is much better than hanging all of these uncommon banners up in one place.

Last edited:
I like this idea. Although this could be exploited, maybe there could be a "banner stack" limit of 3 or 5 (kind of like Nebula armor).

Another option to add for banners is to increase the value of the item, the more you get them - The tenth Slime Banner could be worth a certain margin more than the first slime banner.

Although to balance the obvious exploit potential this has, the banner could be made to never drop from statue-spawned enemies and could have an upper limit of value, such as 20 Silver.

I support.

I think OP meant to be able to put multiple different banners into 1, not put a ton of the same banner together.

I mentioned this at some other point in an unrelated topic, but...

The thing I thought of was to first change the Banner drop system so it's a hybrid of the current and older system. The first few banner drops for a mob in a world are based on kill count (so you can predictably get a few) with increasing kills needed up until like 5-10 banners, at which point it should revert to the older percentage drop chance (so you're less likely to get inundated by banners for common mobs.) For those guaranteed banner from kill counts, I would like it if there was a multiplier based on mob rarity. (Lost Girl/Nymph Banner anyone?) Rare mobs would require less kills per banner until the cut-off for switching drop chance. (If you want to farm banners "efficiently" in the long run, just create new worlds since kill counts are tied to the worlds, not the characters.)

Once you gather some banners, it'd be nice if we could craft them into thematic combination banners. An example would be all the various Slime banners crafting a "Master Slime Banner" or the like. Another example would be the Goblin banners creating a Goblin Invasion Banner. Themes could be mob type, biomes, Invasions/Events, etc.

Banners are great but unwieldy in the long run. For those who invest in collecting banners, there should be a better pay-off for the effort (especially given the rarity of some mobs.) Craft-able "Tier 2/3" banners I think would be a nice solution. (I'm not sure if all of this should eventually resolve into one UBER banner if you can collect every banner or stop short of that with just event and biome banners being the "top tier" banners.)

Although this could be exploited, maybe there could be a "banner stack" limit of 3 or 5 (kind of like Nebula armor).
Terraria Wiki - Monster Banners said:
Multiple Banners of the same type will not grant stacked buffs.
So maybe the same could be said for stacking them in the special container.
Also I don't recall any armor being stackable; correct me if I'm wrong.
Although to balance the obvious exploit potential this has, the banner could be made to never drop from statue-spawned enemies and could have an upper limit of value, such as 20 Silver.
I like the idea of banners being unobtainable from statue enemies, unless that's a thing already. If it isn't, it should be.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by an upper limit of value.
  • If you're trying to suggest that the price of banners be changed to 20 silver, this isn't a good idea, as they're only 2 silver right now.
  • If you're trying to suggest that you get a maximum of 20 silver when selling banners, you could easily bypass this by selling 10 banners at a time, which would be tedious, plus there is already no limit to how much you can get when you sell, which would be ludicrous.
The thing I thought of was to first change the Banner drop system so it's a hybrid of the current and older system. The first few banner drops for a mob in a world are based on kill count with increasing kills needed up until like 5-10 banners, at which point it should revert to the older percentage drop chance For those guaranteed banner from kill counts, I would like it if there was a multiplier based on mob rarity. Rare mobs would require less kills per banner until the cut-off for switching drop chance.
This could possibly work too. It could control the amount of banners you get.
Once you gather some banners, it'd be nice if we could craft them into thematic combination banners. An example would be all the various Slime banners crafting a "Master Slime Banner" or the like. Another example would be the Goblin banners creating a Goblin Invasion Banner. Themes could be mob type, biomes, Invasions/Events, etc.
This could be an alternative to the container idea. Who knows, They could add "theme banners" that allow you to kill specific monsters. After all, the devs could do anything, so other ideas are welcome.

I like the idea of banners being unobtainable from statue enemies, unless that's a thing already. If it isn't, it should be.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by an upper limit of value.
  • If you're trying to suggest that the price of banners be changed to 20 silver, this isn't a good idea, as they're only 2 silver right now.
  • If you're trying to suggest that you get a maximum of 20 silver when selling banners, you could easily bypass this by selling 10 banners at a time, which would be tedious, plus there is already no limit to how much you can get when you sell, which would be ludicrous.
Woah, I phrased that statement horribly. Sorry.

Okay, what I meant was that the first banner would be worth 2 Silver. The second would be worth 4 Silver, the third 6, the fourth 8, and so on...

...until you got your tenth banner of that enemy, at which point the banner price levels off and every banner including and after that remains 20 Silver.

Does that make sense? :red:
This in it of itself has issues; namely, banners would need to be listed in tiers and a Tier 4 banner wouldn't be able to stack with a Tier 7 banner. Also, it would mean unneeded copies of items.

"Tier I Slime Banner"
"Tier VI Slime Banner"
"Tier X Slime Banner"

So they'd just be glorified banners that could be sold for profit rather than be tossed out or stored in a chest for all eternity.
[doublepost=1472255649,1472255299][/doublepost]
Also I don't recall any armor being stackable; correct me if I'm wrong.
Also didn't see this, but here's the Wiki for Nebula armor's set bonus

The Set Bonus [of Nebula armor] grants a chance that special booster items will appear when striking enemies with any weapon, including minions. Each booster grants a buff that lasts 8 seconds, and causes a spark effect to float around the player. When a booster item is picked up while its buff is already in effect, it stacks with the previous buff, up to 3 times. Every 8 seconds, the buff will decrease by one level. Booster items float in the air, and have a greater pickup range than most items.

So... no, there is no armor that stacks. But some buffs do stack.

I feel like you should be able to craft the same kinds of banner together, like 2 blue slime banners into one banner with 1.5x the power and radius, and then you can combine two 1.5x banners into a 2x power banner, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom